PDA

View Full Version : Is Tony Parker a Hall of Famer?

Ari Gold
04-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Three NBA championships, one NBA Finals MVP, four NBA All-Star appearances, and one of the greatest international players to ever play the game. Does he get the nod?

Reck
04-07-2012, 06:36 PM
He should. Will he? Toss up.

MR.SILVER&BLack
04-07-2012, 06:40 PM
yep. Headline a HOF class? nope.

ElNono
04-07-2012, 06:54 PM
No

Dinamita
04-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Bowen

druggas
04-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Who?

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:08 PM
The fact he's a foreigner will help him get in....it's just a good business decision if the NBA wants to continue their globalization campaign.

Trainwreck2100
04-07-2012, 07:09 PM
maybe, but probably not a first ballot HOF

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Bowen

lol...if Bowen got his jersey retired than just imagine what will happen when TP retires. They'll throw a parade and pego will close all the Taco Bells in the greater SA area for a day in his honor.

ElNono
04-07-2012, 07:17 PM
The fact he's a foreigner will help him get in....it's just a good business decision if the NBA wants to continue their globalization campaign.

He hasn't won shit at the international level though...

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:17 PM
oh no, hemann...rest assured there's plenty of pego scoffing to be had by all.

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Wgaf? Nobody takes that shit seriously (except for the Olympics) anyways.

He's won 3 championships in the NBA, has been a top-tier PG for years, and he's still got some good years left, obviously...and he's French (or Belgian, or whatever).

He'll get in.

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:21 PM
If he wanted to solidify his place in the HOF he could hang himself. The voters are suckers for giving posthumous accolades

ElNono
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Wgaf? Nobody takes that shit seriously (except for the Olympics) anyways.

He's won 3 championships in the NBA, has been a top-tier PG for years, and he's still got some good years left, obviously...and he's French (or Belgian, or whatever).

He'll get in.

International wins matter for HOF consideration.... that's why no greek will ever be nominated...

Drachen
04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
If he wanted to solidify his place in the HOF he could hang himself. The voters are suckers for giving posthumous accolades

Or in a couple of years he could just have a freak accident and get buried under the weight of his 6 LOB trophies that he earned as a spur. Same idea.

:rollin

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:32 PM
International wins matter for HOF consideration.... that's why no greek will ever be nominated...

crofl, then why don't they just let everybody in?

:lolI'm sure they're getting Marbury's HOF bust ready

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Or in a couple of years he could just have a freak accident and get buried under the weight of his 6 LOB trophies that he earned as a spur. Same idea.

:lmao

ElNono
04-07-2012, 07:39 PM
crofl, then why don't they just let everybody in?

:lolI'm sure they're getting Marbury's HOF bust ready

Because not everybody wins and dominates at the international level...

What has Marbury done at the international level?

Latarian Milton
04-07-2012, 07:43 PM
HOF is bulging like an ass, players getting elected there 5yrs after their retirement and none is gonna get removed so maybe in a few years the HOF will contain more players then those currently playing in the league tbh. JJ hickson is a locked HOF'er too btw :lol

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:46 PM
HOF is bulging like an ass, players getting elected there 5yrs after their retirement and none is gonna get removed so maybe in a few years the HOF will contain more players then those currently playing in the league tbh. JJ hickson is a locked HOF'er too btw :lol

:lol

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Because not everybody wins and dominates at the international level...

What has Marbury done at the international level?

There must be quite a list of these international players in the HOF then. This is the entire world we're talking about right? There should be a shit ton who have won and dominated over the years. Let's see the list.

BlackSwordsMan
04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
he bangs HOF pussy on da realz dough

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
The list, Nono...there must be a TON of these guys in the HOF

jestersmash
04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd put $1000 on Tony Parker getting into the hall of fame.

Casual fans think you have to be at the level of Dirk/Kobe/Shaq/Duncan to be hall of fame material. The slightly better informed casual fans think you have to be like Dirk/Kobe/Shaq/Duncan or you have to have wide and varied success at both the NBA and international level (Ginobili).

Tony fits neither mold, but he doesn't have to. There are hordes of hall of fame players that haven't had 1/10 the success that someone like Shaq/Kobe/Duncan have had.

If you correct for the fact that Tony has more rings but less individual success, he's a poor man's Joe Dumars in terms of probability of getting into the hall of fame right now.

If Tony had a career ending injury tomorrow, would Tony make it into the HOF? It'd be iffy. I say he'll make it into the HOF with the assumption that he'll have a couple more years of 18/7 as the 1st option on a playoff-bound Spurs team.

ElNono
04-07-2012, 08:07 PM
There must be quite a list of these international players in the HOF then. This is the entire world we're talking about right? There should be a shit ton who have won and dominated over the years. Let's see the list.

The HOF didn't start inducting international players until 1992...

There's currently 9 international players in the HOF, which is about one every two years...

ElNono
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
The list, Nono...there must be a TON of these guys in the HOF

So you arguing and you don't even know who is in the HOF? :lmao

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
The HOF didn't start inducting international players until 1992...

Why? (rhetorical question)

ElNono
04-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Why? (rhetorical question)

What do you mean, why? They just didn't do it. They inducted international players that played way before 1992 later on...

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 08:11 PM
So you arguing and you don't even know who is in the HOF? :lmao

Really? You're going with the lefty defense.
:lolnot understanding rhetorical questions

:lol2 of those 9 being Petrovic (posthumous, like I alluded too), and Sabonis (who was better international but got the recognition b/c he played in the pros:lol)

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 08:15 PM
What do you mean, why? They just didn't do it. They inducted international players that played way before 1992 later on...

Oh...so the "one every 2 years" stat is actually inflated?

Moral of the story, brah: International ball blows

ElNono
04-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Really? You're going with the lefty defense.
:lolnot understanding rhetorical questions

:lol2 of those 9 being Petrovic (posthumous, like I alluded too), and Sabonis (who was better international but got the recognition b/c he played in the pros:lol)

The only thing Sabonis had in the NBA is "NBA All-Rookie First Team"... :lol

Which is my point. International players that make it in the HoF have won quite a bit at the international level.

Tony's resume in the NBA is nice, but that's all he got going right now... he has nothing at the international level.

ElNono
04-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh...so the "one every 2 years" stat is actually inflated?

Moral of the story, brah: International ball blows

9 int'l players inducted since 1992

2011 - 1992 = 19 years

No inductees in 2007 = 19 - 1 = 18 years

18 years / 9 players = 1 int'l player every 2 years

:lol math is hard

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 08:21 PM
9 int'l players inducted since 1992

2011 - 1992 = 19 years

No inductees in 2007 = 19 - 1 = 18 years

18 years / 9 players = 1 int'l player every 2 years

:lol math is hard

So in other words, it's inflated?

ElNono
04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
So in other words, it's inflated?

What's inflated? :lol

What part of that you don't understand?

DeadlyDynasty
04-07-2012, 08:41 PM
What's inflated? :lol

What part of that you don't understand?

It means that your "one every 2 years" statistic is funny (and misleading) when defending international ball. At least 2 of those players were posthumously voted in (as I alluded too), a handful of them played eons ago, and a couple of them are even women:lol

Of all the international players there have been, there's maybe 3-4 that have played somewhat recently that are in the HOF. (and even that number might be too generous:lol)

Like I said, international ball sucks big floppy donkey dick.

Brazil
04-07-2012, 08:45 PM
yes he will IMHO

there are worst players in the HOF than parker

jestersmash
04-07-2012, 08:50 PM
ESPN had a discussion on whether key international players in the NBA are HOF-worthy -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110712

Here's Tony Parker's section -

4. Is Tony Parker a Hall of Famer?

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: Yes. It's not just the rings, either. For years, Parker has literally been one of the top paint scorers in the league. Try these numbers on for size: In the past five seasons, Parker has never made less than 62.7 percent of his rim shots, while current MVP Derrick Rose made 60 percent of his last season, his best showing ever. When a team's point guard can get to the rim and finish like Parker can, everything else on offense flows so much more easily. Inch for inch and pound for pound, Parker had a stretch as probably the most potent offensive weapon in the NBA.

Jay Aych, The Painted Area: Obviously his NBA career has a lot in common with Ginobili's, so I'll say yes. Parker is maybe the best international point guard ever after Steve Nash. He also was a key figure on three NBA title teams and was Finals MVP in 2007. However, he does not have quite the résumé that Manu and Pau have in FIBA play.

Rob Mahoney, The Two Man Game: Maybe. Parker's career, more than that of any other player included in this space, depends on the years to come. Like Ginobili, Parker is a three-time champion. He also has a trio of All-Star appearances to his name and a handful of highly productive seasons. But Parker has yet to reach the heights that Ginobili once claimed and hasn't had the same level of international success. Parker may be a Hall of Famer yet, but he's not quite there.

Jonathan Santiago, Cowbell Kingdom: I'm iffy about Parker because unlike Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, he's never really won as the focal point of a team. Duncan has always been the centerpiece of all the Spurs' championship teams, and Ginobili, as I said earlier, led Argentina to a gold-medal victory in the Olympics. With that said, he's probably a Hall of Famer simply by being the most decorated basketball player to emerge from France.

Jared Wade, 8 Points In 9 Seconds: Nope. He is a huge step below both Manu and Pau in talent and can't come close to matching their decorated international careers. I'm not even sure there is a legitimate case to be made for Parker, unless perhaps you think Chauncey Billups or Horace Grant is a Hall of Famer.

So, yes/yes/maybe/iffy/no for Tony Parker as of July 2011. That's about what I'd expect for him.

Again, as long as he has a couple more seasons of fringe MVP candidate-level point guard play, I think he'll cross that divide of "iffy" to "yes, but not first ballot."

A ring as a 1st option would solidify it for him, but it's not necessary.

jestersmash
04-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Basketball-reference has a hall of fame probability calculator that's fairly accurate. To expand upon Jared Wade's point,

Horace Grant HOF probability = 8%
Chauncey Billups HOF probability = 24%
Tony Parker HOF probability = 71% (13th of all active players in the league right now) -

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_active.html

ElNono
04-07-2012, 09:12 PM
It means that your "one every 2 years" statistic is funny (and misleading) when defending international ball. At least 2 of those players were posthumously voted in (as I alluded too), a handful of them played eons ago, and a couple of them are even women:lol

Of all the international players there have been, there's maybe 3-4 that have played somewhat recently that are in the HOF. (and even that number might be too generous:lol)

Like I said, international ball sucks big floppy donkey dick.

moving goalposts :lmao

Quote where I'm defending international ball?

I said:

What part of that you don't understand? Dude has a nice NBA resume, but his international play isn't going to help him get to the HoF...

:downspin: that now :lol

Goran Dragic
04-07-2012, 09:15 PM
lol how many people answered yes

baseline bum
04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I would have said no, but if Jamaal Wilkes can get in, then yes, easily.

Goran Dragic
04-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Whether or not Toni Kukoc makes it is gonna be a huge indicator of whether or not other international players do. As ElNono said, that doesn't even apply to parker since he has no international career that's gonna greatly improve his chances.

DMC
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
No. No one is until they get voted in.

However, his Finals MVP gives him a huge boost. The 3 rings, 2 of them he can claim legitimately, the third Speedy came off the bench to bail him out.

The league is PG strong, so we will see who he has to compete with.

mercos
04-07-2012, 11:11 PM
I believe he will be a Hall of Famer. He was a main cog on three title winning teams. He was Finals MVP in 2007. I don't know what the number is off hand, but I'm willing to wager most Finals MVPs are in the Hall. He has been a top 5 point guard in the NBA for several seasons now. He is an MVP candidate this year. If the Spurs win the title this year he will be a lock. I will take a guy like Tony Parker over someone like Vince Carter (debated in a topic a few weeks ago) any day.

Venti Quattro
04-07-2012, 11:18 PM
If Bruce Bowen's jersey can be retired, sure, he can be elected to the HOF. :lol

DMC
04-08-2012, 12:20 AM
If Bruce Bowen's jersey can be retired, sure, he can be elected to the HOF. :lol
Two different things: Franchise vs Basketball in general.

Avery Johnson's jersey is also retired, doubt he sees the hall. Same with Elliott.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-08-2012, 12:21 AM
HOF monitor puts his probability at 71%.HOF monitor (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob_active.html)

Tony is pretty amazing. He's winding down his 11th season, and that optic system installed in some of the arenas is tracking him as the fastest PG in the league with the ball. For someone who does most of his damage in the paint, he's been remarkably healthy. I think the single thing that has kept him that way is his teardrop. It may add 2-3 strong years to his career. He's a deadly, efficient finisher without having to go all the way to the rim very often and absorb the associated contact. His damn pick and roll jumper has finally turned into fucking money the last few years.

Venti Quattro
04-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Why is Jim just .99999?

LkrFan
04-08-2012, 12:22 AM
No

Emphatically this. :lol

LkrFan
04-08-2012, 12:23 AM

ElNono
04-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Emphatically this. :lol

It's true... Ginobili actually has much better odds*...

*HOF Monitor doesn't take into account international accolades

IronMaxipad
04-08-2012, 12:30 AM

:lmao:lmao

Wild Cobra Kai
04-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Why is Jim just .99999?

The same ass clown who gave KVH a lone ROY vote in 97 will probably not vote for Tim.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-08-2012, 12:46 AM
It's true... Ginobili actually has much better odds*...

*HOF Monitor doesn't take into account international accolades

Oh, yeah, between Euroleague, FIBA and the NBA, Ginobili is a mortal lock. 71% is pretty good odds, though. It's where Howard is right now. If France can somehow medal this summer, that would really help his case. Spain is looking vulnerable with no Rubio and Rudy Fernandez.

Venti Quattro
04-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Rudy is playing in the Olympics afaik. That being said, Spain's silver is really in jeopardy.