PDA

View Full Version : Playoff rotation roster

IknowU
04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Can anybody explain why we have have to constrain our rotation to 8-9 players come playoffs?

I dont understand this? The team has perfect chemistry by literally playing everyone, so whats the need to downsize to 8-9 players if we are getting the job done? I understand if some of the players arent performing, but if everyone is performing, why cant we play like we do during regular season?

Mel_13
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Can anybody explain why we have have to constrain our rotation to 8-9 players come playoffs?

I dont understand this? The team has perfect chemistry by literally playing everyone, so whats the need to downsize to 8-9 players if we are getting the job done? I understand if some of the players arent performing, but if everyone is performing, why cant we play like we do during regular season?

We don't have to.

Teams typically shorten their rotations for the playoffs for a very simple reason. It increases the percentage of minutes played by the team's best players.

TheSkeptic
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Put simply, because talent matters in the playoffs and you want your best player/performers out there as much as possible.

Once your rotation goes past a certain point, the gains your strongest unit makes can start getting diluted.

While the Spurs are different in that they're deep enough to go about 10 deep in the playoffs, I think it'll be in their best interests to not dig much more than that.

Splits
04-07-2012, 08:13 PM
First of all, a 10-man rotation is not unheard of in the playoffs. In our 2007 run, Horry played the 10th most minutes and Jacque Vaughn played a non-trivial number of minutes as the 11th guy.

Secondly, 6-10 don't necessarily have to be the same five guys every night.

Splits
04-07-2012, 08:15 PM
First of all, a 10-man rotation is not unheard of in the playoffs. In our 2007 run, Horry played the 10th most minutes and Jacque Vaughn played a non-trivial number of minutes as the 11th guy.

Secondly, 6-10 don't necessarily have to be the same five guys every night.

Actually, those numbers are from 2008. 2007 Vaughn was the 10th guy off the pine.

therealtruth
04-07-2012, 11:43 PM
We don't have to.

Teams typically shorten their rotations for the playoffs for a very simple reason. It increases the percentage of minutes played by the team's best players.

It can backfire though. Doc Rivers got good results when he went to his bench in games 4 and 5 of the Finals in 2010. He decided not to trust his bench in game 7 and his starters were exhausted.

Mel_13
04-07-2012, 11:46 PM
It can backfire though. Doc Rivers got good results when he went to his bench in games 4 and 5 of the Finals in 2010. He decided not to trust his bench in game 7 and his starters were exhausted.

He had his starting center for games 4 and 5.