PDA

View Full Version : Should the Spurs avoid Memphis?

Basketball Power
04-08-2012, 09:01 AM
They are healthy and on a roll beating the top teams and looking like last year

spurs still can't handle their front court

Wild Cobra Kai
04-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Actually, they are playing like crap. Beating a plummeting Mavs squad hardly counts. What everyone was talking about has happened. They are trying to integrate ZBo back into the mix and he's struggling and Gay is pouting/checking out because of it.

Story (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/apr/06/rudy-randolph-just-when-griz-need-them-to-play/)

acoelho1
04-08-2012, 09:31 AM
The Grizz will be a tough out for whoever plays them in the playoffs. If we end up with the 1st seed, it's looking like Memphis in the 2nd round unless they sputter in the last remaining games. This Spurs are completely different than last year's team and for the better in my opinion. We needed to get more physical and have done so with Leonard, Green, Jackson and Diaw. Also, I expect (fingers crossed) that Pop will play Splitter more against the teams with strong scoring bigs like the Lakers, Grizz and Clippers.

Russo21
04-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Shouldn't avoid anyone. If you want to be the best and win the championship you can't be scared of facing anybody. Just have to deal with whoever gets in the way. And if you are good enough things will work out

TheCerebral1
04-08-2012, 09:51 AM
If we're going to compete for a championship you have to be able to beat anyone at any given time. They have some match up problems but with the depth and array of talent the Spurs won't necessarily get bounced.

SpursNation
04-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Shouldn't avoid anyone. If you want to be the best and win the championship you can't be scared of facing anybody. Just have to deal with whoever gets in the way. And if you are good enough things will work out

agree

to be the best - you gotta beat the best

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 10:05 AM

tee. hee.

Yuixafun
04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Reports of Agent 0's demise have been greatly exaggerated??

Spursfan092120
04-08-2012, 10:12 AM

tee. hee.

http://i42.tinypic.com/fp4e10.jpg

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 10:12 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/fp4e10.jpg

Ya look pisser Easter mornin'.

tee, hee.

Spursfan092120
04-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Ya look pisser Easter mornin'.

tee, hee.

Watched a friend's snake choke out and eat a mouse this morning. Kind of like what Kori did to you. Took him down, son.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Watched a friend's snake choke out and eat a mouse this morning. Kind of like what Kori did to you. Took him down, son.

Ain't like taking it, eh?

:lmao

Spursfan092120
04-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Ain't like taking it, eh?

:lmao

Show me where I insulted your beliefs. Hit the wrong note and you get the shit. Ask Cartman.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Show me where I insulted your beliefs. Hit the wrong note and you get the shit. Ask Cartman.

Just plain good to see you on your regular feed again, 092120. At human you were a pitiful sight.

tee, hee.

Ditty
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Of course no one wants Memphis, or even Dallas in the 1st round, but I wouldn't mind either in the 2nd. Memphis is no where near as good last year, and clicking like they were. I say Spurs still in 6 games, the same for Dallas.

Horse
04-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Only reason they beat us is because Manu was hurt. This season we're better they're worse end of story!

loveforthegame
04-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Gasol and Randolph are no doubt a handful for the Spurs. But I think there were other players that hurt the Spurs just as bad that are no longer there or out with injury (Battier, Young, Vasquez, Arthur).

Look at the roster we went to bat with last year:

C - McDyess, Blair, Splitter
PF - Duncan, Bonner
SF - Jefferson, Novak
SG - Ginobli, Neal, Green, Anderson
PG - Parker, Hill

Splitter barely played and by the time he did the series was over with. Anderson, Novak, and Green were not even factors.

Now we have:

C - Blair, Diaw, Splitter
PF - Duncan, Bonner
SF - Leonard, Jackson
SG - Green, Ginobli, Anderson
PG - Parker, Neal, Mills, Joseph

The front court is still a concern but we at least have a couple more options to go with. The wings are a huge upgrade and pg is more secure as well.

We have more guys that can create for themselves and others, attack the basket, handle the ball, play defense and rebound, along with an overall toughness and energy that we were sorely lacking last season.

Not that I think we're going to steamroll teams but I don't worry about this team folding at the first punch they take either.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Only reason they beat us is because Manu was hurt. This season we're better they're worse end of story!

That's pussy to cite the injury card.

& they hunted you like an animal, cut you out of the herd and slaughtered you on the Texas frontier. It was absolutely cold blooded.

DeadlyDynasty
04-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Yes.

jjktkk
04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
If we're going to compete for a championship you have to be able to beat anyone at any given time. They have some match up problems but with the depth and array of talent the Spurs won't necessarily get bounced.

Which is why I never worry about matchups. Win or go home.

Horse
04-08-2012, 11:49 AM
That's pussy to cite the injury card.

& they hunted you like an animal, cut you out of the herd and slaughtered you on the Texas frontier. It was absolutely cold blooded.
And it's fucking retarded to not factor in the fact that your best player was injured and didn't even play in game 1.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
And it's fucking retarded to not factor in the fact that your best player was injured and didn't even play in game 1.

But, you can't cite the injury card, you stupid ass. It's pussy.

Take your losses and act like somebody.

Sean Cagney
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM

tee. hee.

Maybe LA should avoid Dallas

Tee. Hee.

Horse
04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
But, you can't cite the injury card, you stupid ass. It's pussy.

Take your losses and act like somebody.
Thank you for proving you are said "retard".

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Maybe LA should avoid Dallas

Tee. Hee.

I got a feeling we can end up anywhere and live to regret it.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Thank you for proving you are said "retard".

Because you want to have a crutch at loss. Just fucking take it. Get mad, yes, rant & rave, cry real fucking tears even. I cried like a fucking baby in '84. But don't go near the injury, scheduling, referee cards. Make yourself proud, so when it comes for you (like '85 & '10 for me) can cry real tears again. And enter your house justified. Not some fucking asshole.

dunkman
04-08-2012, 01:14 PM
The Spurs are better this season, I don't think the Grizzlies would win again tbh. There are good chances the Spurs will make it to the finals. But it will be difficult to win the 'ship.

maverick1948
04-08-2012, 02:45 PM
The way I see it everybody else has matchup problems with the Spurs. We have 5 solid bigs, wings are so deep it isnt funny and PG is well manned. Something tells me that a lot of the playoff teams would love to avoid the Spurs until WCF.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-08-2012, 03:54 PM
The way I see it everybody else has matchup problems with the Spurs. We have 5 solid bigs, wings are so deep it isnt funny and PG is well manned. Something tells me that a lot of the playoff teams would love to avoid the Spurs until WCF.

This. We present at LEAST as many problems to other teams as they present to us.

TD 21
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
No. They shouldn't be going out of their way to avoid anyone; it should be the other way around. The Grizzlies are a quality team, but by the way they're spoken of by Spurs fans, you'd think they'd have knocked the Spurs out of the playoffs three out of four years or something like that. When in actuality, they beat them once, when the Spurs supposed best player was playing with a serious injury and another one of their three best players was playing injured as well. And while it's true that one of the Grizzlies two best players was out, he was out so long that they had plenty of time to learn to play without him and get a rhythm. With the Spurs, it was literally sprung on them just before the playoffs.

CGD
04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I want them. Spurs will have that chip on their shoulder.

NewcastleKEG
04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
vs Lakers: Bynum & Gasol >>> Duncan + whoever
vs Grizzlies: Zo & Gasol >> Duncan + whoever
vs Thunder: Ibaka & Perkins > Duncan + whoever
vs Clippers: Griffin & Jordan = Duncan + whoever

So you know where your issues are

Obstructed_View
04-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I got a feeling we can end up anywhere and live to regret it.

We've all had years like that. As a Spurs fan, this year doesn't feel like one for a change.

pgardn
04-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Yeah.

If it was this easy it would be over.

Man In Black
04-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Exactly, but with the caveat that the Spurs must play well enough even if calls go the other way. It has to be at a level well enough that others can't match their level of play.

This team is so much different that last season's team. Again...Pop has a swiss army knife of talent and he is using every tool.

Giuseppe
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Again...Pop has a swiss army knife of talent and he is using every tool.

But, stealing bricks from a construction site (Jackson & Diaw), bringing them home and building your own garage with them stinks to high heaven.

therealtruth
04-08-2012, 10:08 PM

Try 3 solid bigs.

100%duncan
04-08-2012, 10:19 PM
In Round 1 yes. Round 2, I would happily choose them over Lakers. But Clips in round 2 would be sweet.

spursince#99
04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
this. We present at least as many problems to other teams as they present to us.

+1

spursince#99
04-08-2012, 10:26 PM
In Round 1 yes. Round 2, I would happily choose them over Lakers. But Clips in round 2 would be sweet.

your sig :lol I laugh every time

SilverSpur
04-08-2012, 11:00 PM

I totally agree. If you are a champion to be, you take on whom ever is in your way. We would've beat Memphis last year, but Pop chose not to play Splitter and Blair. Blair is short, but is big and can push bigs off the block and has a nack for scoring down low.

TheSkeptic
04-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I totally agree. If you are a champion to be, you take on whom ever is in your way. We would've beat Memphis last year, but Pop chose not to play Splitter and Blair. Blair is short, but is big and can push bigs off the block and has a nack for scoring down low.

Blair was also getting beatdown that year.

He has girth and everything but he's probably too short to be going against the premier starting bigs in the league imo.

Tiago was effective but I thought he didn't really have much chemistry with anybody besides Manu.

100%duncan
04-08-2012, 11:04 PM
your sig :lol I laugh every time

From which GIF specifically? :lol

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
i want them as bad as the next person, there fkn fans are delusional that last season was no fluke for them...give me a fkn break

Reck
04-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Maybe we should but I feel like the Spurs need to face them again to get over the hump from last year.

It was pretty enbarrassing imo. Memphis played great against us and they showed it against the Thunder as well but I guess I'm more ticked about the fact they tanked so obviously and purposefully to draw the Spurs.

They showed no respect whatsoever. That is why I would want to face them again.

PublicOption
04-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Those fools need to avoid us.

TheSkeptic
04-08-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm as interested in revenge as the next person but let's not face that frontline if we can help it. They didn't beat us by accident last year and we're still thin up front.

crellis
04-09-2012, 01:23 AM

I agree with the above in that a lot of other front courts are better on paper than the what the Spurs have to offer. However I believe that you are underestimating one important element - Coach Pop.

Mike Brown, Vinny Del Negro, Lionel Hollins, Kevin McHale and Scott Brooks are all going to wet their pants if they face the Spurs in the playoffs.

TJastal
04-09-2012, 01:40 AM
I agree with the above in that a lot of other front courts are better on paper than the what the Spurs have to offer. However I believe that you are underestimating one important element - Coach Pop.

Mike Brown, Vinny Del Negro, Lionel Hollins, Kevin McHale and Scott Brooks are all going to wet their pants if they face the Spurs in the playoffs.

Did Lionel change his diapers from last year yet?

Man In Black
04-09-2012, 01:45 AM
But, stealing bricks from a construction site (Jackson & Diaw), bringing them home and building your own garage with them stinks to high heaven.
Don't bitch because Jim & Mitch didn't have the RIGHT KIND of CONNECTIONS to bring quality players to LALA. What really stinks is your team's BENCH. REALITY!
:toast

crellis
04-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Did Lionel change his diapers from last year yet?

He will have to with a healthy Manu and Cpt Jack on this squad. Let alone the depth that Diaw now affords the front line.

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 01:58 AM
He will have to with a healthy Manu and Cpt Jack on this squad. Let alone the depth that Diaw now affords the front line.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that Diaw is more of a 4. He should be alright against Randolph but I'm at a loss as to who he'd be guarding against LAL.

therealtruth
04-09-2012, 02:06 AM

Pop's got an Achilles heel that is 6'10 with red hair that allows no name coaches to outcoach him. They would be stupid to not attack it.

Horse
04-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Because you want to have a crutch at loss. Just fucking take it. Get mad, yes, rant & rave, cry real fucking tears even. I cried like a fucking baby in '84. But don't go near the injury, scheduling, referee cards. Make yourself proud, so when it comes for you (like '85 & '10 for me) can cry real tears again. And enter your house justified. Not some fucking asshole.
You couldn't be acting like more of a moron or an asshole. Yes injury is part of sports but if you build a team and a record all year long, then your main piece is suddenly gone it makes it a different team. Yeah we lost it's over and done with. It's just my opinion that if Manu was healthy we would have beat memphis.

TheTruth
04-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Everyone should avoid Memphis if they can. That's a damn good team.

8FOR!3
04-09-2012, 07:58 AM

Good call.

Did Memphis avoid us last year? Bring em on.

TJastal
04-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Actually, they are playing like crap. Beating a plummeting Mavs squad hardly counts. What everyone was talking about has happened. They are trying to integrate ZBo back into the mix and he's struggling and Gay is pouting/checking out because of it.

Story (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/apr/06/rudy-randolph-just-when-griz-need-them-to-play/)

Besides that mavs win, they've now beaten the lakers, clippers, OKC, & heat in the past couple weeks.

If this constitutes "playing like crap" then I'll take a double serving of crap.

Fireball
04-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Sadly we play them on a b2b tomorrow night ... Pop might rest key players again and we won't get any conclusions out of this game. But I agree that I fear the Grizzlies more right now than Lakers or Thunder ...

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-11-2012, 07:46 AM
They have a very easy run in, might end up 4th or even 3rd. Still, would prefer them over Lakers in the second round.

boutons_deux
04-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Avoid, what a strange fantasy, and it's based on chickenshit-ness.

Keepin' it real
04-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Should the Spurs avoid Memphis? What the hell for? Ever hear of payback?

Heck, my ideal romp to the finals would include, in no particular order:

Memphis
Dallas
LA
Miami

JRHernandez88
04-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Yo what's up with all this "avoiding teams" talk? Man up and grow some balls!

The road to success is not always paved. :makemyday

JRHernandez88
04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Should the Spurs avoid Memphis? What the hell for? Ever hear of payback?

Heck, my ideal romp to the finals would include, in no particular order:

Memphis
Dallas
LA
Miami

Keep it real brotha, keep it real...:worthy:

Spurs da champs
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Either way if we get them in the playoffs it's gonna be a really physical series & if Timmy doesn't get help against Zbo & Randolph it will be a long series.

ViceCity84
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
I want to play them.Tony Parker needs to put Conley's scrub ass back to place.

TheProfessor
04-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Likely won't be seeing them in the first round, but I think the Spurs would be pretty motivated by last year's humiliation, particularly Parker.

Basketball Power
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Spurs having trouble against LA without Kobe, damn