PDA

View Full Version : Pop on Diaw's defense: "[He did] some really good stuff and some really bad stuff"

jestersmash
04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Pop on Diaw's defense tonight vs Utah: "[He did] some really good stuff and some really bad stuff"

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2012/04/08/120408popmov-2060680

To anyone who watched the game in full - do you agree with this assessment? I watched the entire game, although I admit I was somewhat lazily watching (and surfing the net) while the Spurs were up ahead by a lot. Diaw's terrific defense early on really caught my eye and stuck with me throughout the game. Did he really have egregious lapses in defensive effort as the game went on (as Pop's statement implies)?

lefty
04-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Classic Pop

freetiago
04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
well apparently he fouled out
i thought he was taken out with 4 fouls never to return
and he still sets quite a few moving screens a game
let a defender get by him then does the laziest reach in putting no resistance which resulted in an and one
mostly mental things which can be fixed within a game
but his defense on millsap was better then deblairgur has ever done
he was the big reason we started out holding them to 40 points in the first half
tiago was good on jefferson as well forcing him into step back 18 footers

Mugen
04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
pretty much spot on. all of his fouls were touch or reaching in that gave up a lot of And 1s

jestersmash
04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Interesting.

I guess I was too googly-eyed with his superb defense to start (especially compared to Blair's usual post defense) the game to really notice as the game progressed.

Robz4000
04-08-2012, 10:11 PM
When he's focused he plays really great D. I'm starting to see what a lot of people mean by wasted talent. He has/had the potential to be a superstar caliber player, but he's extremely lazy. I think he's gradually getting better though; being with Tony is bringing out the best in him.

Ice009
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
They had a stat up towards the end of the game showing the Spurs are 13-10 when allowing the other team to score over 100. That's not good at all and the Spurs really do have to focus in on playing better, consistent defense going forward.

I'm very interested in taking a good look at Diaw in the starting 5 if Pop doesn't want to start Splitter. I'd probably agree with Pop's assessment on tonight's game. Boris made some silly fouls, but that can probably be cleaned up a lot easier than Blair not being able to play good consistent defense period. Diaw at least played solid defense for numerous stretches, but he's got to not pick up cheap fouls otherwise Blair or Bonner will be in.

freetiago
04-08-2012, 10:45 PM
only blairs 30/20 games or whatever hes had could really be better then the game diaw put up tonight
his defense was good vs a very good scorer
and his offense was also perfect
he hit a nice running hook on jefferson
a mid range shot
and even pulled up from 3
4/5 from the field
he earned himself a spot in the starting lineup, and this is from the guy who got bought out by the bobcats and hadnt played in a long time

T Park
04-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Pop HATES fouls.

Fouled out playing lazy defense.

Not a good first impression.

spurs10
04-08-2012, 10:56 PM
He was kind of left holding the bag on his last foul with Tim refusing to run the floor.

crellis
04-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Pop HATES fouls.

Exactly, and a lot of his fouls were a result of being lazy. Hopefully with heavy conditioning over the remainder of the season that can be eliminated from his game. The threat of Pop should be enough motivation for that!!

Also, based on what we witnessed tonight I envisage Diaw taking over Blairs starting position (or at worst playing a lot of minutes next to Duncan with Blair playing opposite Splitter) come playoffs.

Dunc n Dave
04-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Pop HATES fouls.

I believe that ended the Spurs streak of no one fouling out the entire season... No wonder he's pissed.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Blair is one of the worst defenders in NBA history, a statement that is backed up by Synergy and other outlets, tbh..

It wouldn't be difficult for Diaw to surpass him, regardless of his current shape, once he develops any kind of chemistry with Duncan and the starters..

Spur|n|Austin
04-08-2012, 11:33 PM
When he's focused he plays really great D. I'm starting to see what a lot of people mean by wasted talent. He has/had the potential to be a superstar caliber player, but he's extremely lazy. I think he's gradually getting better though; being with Tony is bringing out the best in him.

Superstar? I'd have to disagree with that. Great role player yes but BoBo is no superstar.

Ice009
04-08-2012, 11:40 PM
I believe that ended the Spurs streak of no one fouling out the entire season... No wonder he's pissed.

Tim was pretty much responsible for that last foul. He didn't get back on defense. If Pop is mad, he should be mad at Tim for not running back.

I actually like that Tim complained about the fouls though. He needs to really do this and get angry when he is fouled to force the refs to start calling them, only thing is that he probably picked two that he shouldn't have complained about.

Fabbs
04-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Pop HATES fouls.

eeeeewwwwww sthcathing!

Better to be *in position* while getting blown by ala Mike Finley Matty Bonbon and Soft Dick.
Right?

Mugen
04-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Meh, i don't think laziness was Diaw's problem.

He has quick hands for a fatty and he likes to swipe a lot, which usually leads to cheap fouls.

He's already a much better defender than Blair/Bonner.

TheSkeptic
04-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Tim was pretty much responsible for that last foul. He didn't get back on defense. If Pop is mad, he should be mad at Tim for not running back.

I actually like that Tim complained about the fouls though. He needs to really do this and get angry when he is fouled to force the refs to start calling them, only thing is that he probably picked two that he shouldn't have to complain about.

It seems like it might vary from ref to ref but given how touchy the officiating has been this season I'm not convinced that complaining is the way to go about it when a simple "Hey ref, they're raking my arms when I drive can you keep an eye out for that?" will suffice.

Sometimes a blow-up is necessary but it seems like arguing every call has backfired more often than not in the games I've seen around the league.

crellis
04-08-2012, 11:50 PM
He's already a much better defender than Blair/Bonner.

That was always going to be a given. Given time and opportunity he was always going to surpass those two in that area. And I am feeling optimistic that Boris can give these spurs more that Blair/Bonner on the offensive end (he probably can do more than the two combined!)

Spurs da champs
04-08-2012, 11:52 PM
His defense on Milsap was really good, he made him a non-factor. Tho he did have a couple of stupid fouls.

Mugen
04-08-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm pretty confident Diaw will be starting by the end of the year, tbh.

spurs10
04-09-2012, 12:54 AM

I actually like that Tim complained about the fouls though. He needs to really do this and get angry when he is fouled to force the refs to start calling them, only thing is that he probably picked two that he shouldn't have complained about.
:toast

spurs10
04-09-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty confident Diaw will be starting by the end of the year, tbh.
I wish I shared your confidence, but feel like Diaw's lack of 'corporate knowledge' might stand in the way of Pop making that call. I'll be happy if he's not riding the pine in the playoffs because he's too talented for that. The idea of Pop using a 5 man rotation at the 5/4 position is something I'm a little doubtful about....

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 01:08 AM
I wish I shared your confidence, but feel like Diaw's lack of 'corporate knowledge' might stand in the way of Pop making that call. I'll be happy if he's not riding the pine in the playoffs because he's too talented for that. The idea of Pop using a 5 man rotation at the 5/4 position is something I'm a little doubtful about....

I just don't see the sense of a 5 "big" rotation at the 5/4 when only 3 of those players are likely able to contribute to the cause on a consistent basis.

therealtruth
04-09-2012, 01:14 AM
He broke the not fouling out streak Pop was trying to maintain.

Robz4000
04-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Superstar? I'd have to disagree with that. Great role player yes but BoBo is no superstar.
Back when he was with the Suns, he was putting up monster stats. Yes he had Nash to thank for some of it, but putting up near 40 points in a playoff game takes talent, which he definitely has. He just never developed the work ethic to reach that level.

Manufan909
04-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Back when he was with the Suns, he was putting up monster stats. Yes he had Nash to thank for damn near 100% of it, but putting up near 40 points in a playoff game takes talent, which he definitely has. He just never developed the work ethic to reach that level.

Playing in a 7 seconds or less offensive system WITH Nash cannot be understated.

G-Dawgg
04-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Wow... How the fuck does Diaw start the game at the center position and log 24 minutes of playing time then foul out and still only finish the game with only one rebound?!

Unfuckenbelievable.....

TJastal
04-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Wow... How the fuck does Diaw start the game at the center position and log 24 minutes of playing time then foul out and still only finish the game with only one rebound?!

Unfuckenbelievable.....

Because he doesn't hang around the offensive goal like Blair and also Timmy is cleaning everything off the defensive glass lately.

G-Dawgg
04-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Because he doesn't hang around the offensive goal like Blair and also Timmy is cleaning everything off the defensive glass lately.

... those are some excuses right there.

Those are not good enough excuses to convince me that it's acceptable for anybody to grab ONE rebound in 24 minutes after starting at the Center position and fouling out.

Paranoid Pop
04-09-2012, 05:42 AM
... those are some excuses right there.

Those are not good enough excuses to convince me that it's acceptable for anybody to grab ONE rebound in 24 minutes after starting at the Center position and fouling out.

What's your excuser for being dense enough to believe that he played center?

pgardn
04-09-2012, 07:39 AM
If pop goes public with it...

Imo thats a good sign. Diaw CAN play defense, he has the ability. He cant possibly be sharp yet. Lots of things going on, this is not like where he was or has been. What Diaw thinks concentrating requires, and what it takes to concentrate to play solid D every play might be two diff things.

This is why I think Pop likes Bonner. Bonner switches like crazy, he is always moving his head looking at the entire floor with a hand on his man when the ball is away from his man. I think what Pop might not care about is that Bonner gives the opposition confidence man to man. Guys eyes get big when Bonner has them away from the basket with a bit of room to get him out of position and then shoot right over him. Average offensive players make some very nice shots on Bonner because they are not the least bit concerned about getting packed.

G-Dawgg
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
What's your excuser for being dense enough to believe that he played center?

Dude are you stupid? My point is that as frontcourt player putting in 24 minutes, 1 rebound is not enough. Whether playing center or power forward.

TJastal
04-09-2012, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't draw conclusions yet. If it becomes a discernible pattern over the course of a few months, then I might worry. Also, sometimes the caroms come your way, sometimes they don't.

In comparison Milsap got only 3 boards in 21 minutes. And the spurs outrebounded the jizz 45-39. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.