PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Jazz - Apr. 8

timvp
04-09-2012, 01:40 AM
The Spurs led from start to finish during their 114-104 victory over the Jazz. While the Jazz never truly threatened, it wasn't an easy game due to Utah's physicality and relentlessness.

The win was San Antonio's 11th straight and their 14th in their last 15 games. With the Bulls losing earlier in the day, the 40-14 Spurs are now tied with Chicago for the fewest losses in the NBA.

Tomorrow night, the Spurs get to do it all over again. With Pop likely holding back a few of his stars and the Jazz playing in front of their rabid home fans, it's sure to be a much more difficult contest for S.A.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/jgtt1w.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2j1lq3s.jpg

Tim Duncan A-
Tim Duncan's dominance of the defensive glass has been a quiet yet very important storyline for the Spurs this season. Tonight, Duncan had eight defensive rebounds in the game's first 9:13 and those boards allowed the Spurs to get out on run and jumpstart their offense. When Duncan wasn't rebounding, he was playing very good post defense and defending the rim with gusto. Offensively, when he made strong, determined moves toward the basket, he was usually successful. However, a few times Duncan was a bit lackadaisical and allowed the Jazz to bump him off of his spots. He also has been turning the ball over quite a bit lately -- he has 13 turnovers in his last 94 minutes.

Manu Ginobili A-
Talk about an unexpected stat line, Manu Ginobili had more free throw attempts tonight than he had in his previous 12 games combined. On the season, his free throw rate is by far a career low -- so this was definitely a good sign. Ginobili attacked Utah's physical defense over and over again. While I thought his passing wasn't nearly as crisp as it has usually been this season, Ginobili made up for it with his aggression. Defensively, he did reasonably good work. His individual defense was really active, though he did tend to stray far from his man when defending off the ball.

Tony Parker A-
I liked what I saw out of Tony Parker tonight. He looked explosive and energetic -- two traits that have been lacking of late. He made Devin Harris look foolish a handful of times in transition and, like Ginobili, he got to the line a bunch. The Jazz were going under screens against him most of the night so Parker was smart to keep his foot on the gas scoring-wise. Defensively, I wasn't too impressed. Parker had his moments but he was mostly listless on that end.

Kawhi Leonard B
Kawhi Leonard had a nondescript affair but was still effective. On defense, I liked how he defended Gordon Hayward. Leonard rarely let him get a good look and mostly kept him out of the paint. Offensively, Leonard picked his spots well and again illustrated some playmaking ability on the break. While he has definitely cooled off in the last five games, Leonard can still make a positive impact even when his numbers aren't flashy.

Danny Green A
Games like this make you believe Pop knows what he's doing by starting Danny Green. On both ends of the court, Green was great at times. His individual defense was solid but where he really shined was with his help defense. Green was extremely active and oftentimes swarmed in from out of nowhere to breakup a play. On offense, he wasn't bashful about shooting the ball but he also picked his spots well. This was the best I've seen him in terms of being patient with the ball and letting plays develop. The result was a very efficient offensive outing that included a team-high in assists.

Boris Diaw B-
Inserted in the starting lineup for a resting DeJuan Blair, Boris Diaw had his moments. His passing and ability to shoot from the outside were on full display on the offensive end. He has so many skills the opposition has to be worried about that it opens up the court for others to attack. Defensively, I thought he was poor when it came to doing his work early. To thrive in San Antonio's defensive system, Diaw is going to have to do a much better job of getting back in transition and not allowing his man to gain prime position. To Diaw's credit, he was usually very, very good once his man got the ball and was the leading reason why Millsap had such a poor night.

Matt Bonner C-
I wasn't too impressed with Matt Bonner on this night. Offensively, his shots were a little bit rushed and he didn't help out in any other facet of the game on that end. Defensively, while he was more physical than usual, the results weren't there. He got overpowered a number of times and didn't do a good job on the boards. To survive against the Jazz, Bonner is going to have to take it up another level or two in the toughness department.

Gary Neal D+
Gary Neal got minutes at point guard and shooting guard but didn't have success anywhere. Defensively, he was consistently poor. Neal had trouble staying in front of his man and his rotations were slow. He also didn't do a very good job of contesting jump shooters. Offensively, he took a couple forced shots and his playmaking was non-existent for a majority of the evening.

Tiago Splitter A-
It was just another night at the office for Tiago Spitter. His per-minute production is just getting ridiculous now. In his five games since returning from his back injury, Splitter is averaging 25.6 points, 15.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per 40 minutes on 70.4% shooting from the floor. Honestly, I don't think Splitter can do much more production-wise; I don't know if anyone could. Defensively, I thought he was a little bit soft tonight when the Jazz went right at him. But overall, he again did well with the minutes he was given.

Patrick Mills C-
Well, I guess Patrick Mills is capable of struggling. After playing astonishingly well to date, Mills had some growing pains tonight. His shot selection was somewhere between bad and horrible; he really doesn't need to force three-pointers when he has so much talent around him. Mills was loose with the basketball and, for the first time, it was obvious he lacked chemistry with some of his teammates. Defensively, he was decent and his pressure on the basketball was useful. Despite his struggles, Mills continued to play very hard ... which is something the coaching staff loves to see.

Pop A
Again, it's hard to find fault in anything Pop did. He gave DeJuan Blair and Stephen Jackson a night off and didn't play anyone else 31 minutes, yet the Spurs won without much worry against a team fighting for a spot in the playoffs. I thought it was great that he started Diaw to give him some experience with the starting unit (especially since that's an alignment the Spurs will probably need to employ full-time at some point). Experimenting with Mills and Neal together was also smart. My only nitpick is I wish he would have given some of Bonner's minutes to Splitter. But alas, I guess I should give up on that wish since Pop seems to have abandoned any plan of playing Splitter at PF.

joeyjfive
04-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Good stuff

TJastal
04-09-2012, 01:50 AM
I really hope this isn't just going to be a tease game and CIA Pop was actually giving Diaw a look in the starting lineup under the guise of "rest" for the shittier half of the "turd towers".

Kudos for Pop also using a 10 man rotation. Although Jackson will be back hopefully.

Ahh fuck it, who am I kidding? Blair will be back in the starting lineup next game.. :hang

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 01:50 AM
It seems like when Green plays well everything starts clicking. I think he's been pretty solid as of late honestly.

My only problem with your write-up is how you brought up Splitter's per minute production right after giving Bonner a C-. Now it's just getting painful.

Thanks again :toast

timtonymanu
04-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Good read as always, timvp :toast

Now it's time to make this a 9 page thread mostly talking about Splitter's playing time.

ElNono
04-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Thanks LJ

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Good read as always, timvp :toast

Now it's time to make this a 9 page thread mostly talking about Splitter's playing time.

9 or 19?

therealtruth
04-09-2012, 02:00 AM
25.6 points, 15.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per 40 minutes on 70.4% ?

When does Splitter get freed?:hungry:

You imagine his numbers could go higher playing with TD because of the defensive attention he draws.

Stalin
04-09-2012, 02:03 AM
nice work, ginobli looking better and better with each passing game, if he starts balling like he used to in the playoffs, a finals appearance would be a realistic outcome, tbh

jiggy_55
04-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Looks like that free throw technique S-Jax and the other Spurs have been using recently has been working really well.. 38-43 is fucking beautiful although Manu and Parker did have most of those makes, and their shooting it extremely well this season..

TJastal
04-09-2012, 02:06 AM
25.6 points, 15.5 rebounds and 3.7 assists per 40 minutes on 70.4% ?

When does Splitter get freed?:hungry:

You imagine his numbers could go higher playing with TD because of the defensive attention he draws.

I don't mind as much seeing Splitter in the 2nd unit as long as Boris is starting. Especially as Manu will be orchestrating it. My main concern with Splitter starting was seeing Duncan get better support than what Blair can provide else I fear he won't make it to the finals with any gas left in the tank.

jjktkk
Always appreciate the grades and analysis Tim.

TJastal
Well hopefully Manu's 14-15 from the line will shut jestermash up for a day or two.

jestersmash
04-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Well hopefully Manu's 14-15 from the line will shut jestermash up for a day or two.

:toast

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 02:16 AM
I don't mind as much seeing Splitter in the 2nd unit as long as Boris is starting. Especially as Manu will be orchestrating it. My main concern with Splitter starting was seeing Duncan get better support than what Blair can provide else I fear he won't make it to the finals with any gas left in the tank.

Yeah. I'm not as worried about the starters any more with Diaw out there either.

Still, with that kind of production 17 minutes is not enough. That's like starting all-star numbers right there. :lol

mkurts
04-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Pat Mills was awful tonight - I would have given him a D instead of a C-

TJastal
04-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah. I'm not as worried about the starters any more with Diaw out there either.

Still, with that kind of production 17 minutes is not enough. That's like starting all-star numbers right there. :lol

Agreed. I'd much rather see Tiago getting 24 minutes and Bonner 17 rather than vice versa. Hopefully by the end of the year those numbers will start to shift in those directions.

Seriously, if Bonner is having trouble with Utah's "physical" frontline I can only imagine what's going to happen against the likes of Memphis, LA, Houston, etc. I hope Pop is taking careful note of this and the wheels are starting to turn.

TE
04-09-2012, 02:39 AM
Spot on once again.

tbh I prefer having Boris out there learning on the go rather than having Blair continue with his obvious consistent fuck-ups.

Also, Patty was a bit trigger happy tonight, especially on one transition when he took a 3 that I believe was a 5 on 1 favoring the Spurs. I really like his speed and confidence though, much much more of an NBA ready player than Joseph.

I think Timmy will sit down tomorrow, and Tiago will play. Blair and Diaw will probably start the game as the frontcourt with Tiago and Matty coming off the bench. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony sitting tomorrow night. I would play Ginobili (since he's in the process of getting back into basketball shape) at the point and have Patty or Gary spot him minutes. Green and Leonard will play in addition to Captain Jack.

Some of the Jazz players will be out but this game will still be very tough, especially considering the fact that it's in Utah.

angelbelow
04-09-2012, 02:44 AM
Missed most of the game so thanks for the grades.

A few thoughts based off the boxscore, your grades, and recent games:

Matt Bonner: The past 7 games have been rough for our sharp shooter - Bonner is shooting just 24% from the 3pt line. I'm hoping he breaks this mini slump and catches fire for the playoffs.

Patty Mills: He definitely plays with a lot speed. 7 shots, 4 turnovers in just 11 minutes lol.

Devin Harris: On the season he averages 1 3pm per game and and is shooting just 35% (actually the highest % since his rookie season) but he ends up making 3 tonight.. standard I guess.

Tiago Splitter: Did he still look tired tonight? I know there was a discussion on this in the previous grade thread but I didn't have time to read over the weekend. I think that giving him in game minutes is the best way to get him in shape. His muscles need to get used to the fast twitch activities of up and down basketball. But it doesn't look like his role is going to be anything beyond being Duncan's backup. So I'm not sure if there's a point in getting him ready to play more than 20 minutes.

jason1301
04-09-2012, 02:49 AM
You guys are way too harsh on KL! The guy is a rookie w/o a full training camp and in a such short season where practices are hard to come by, especially in a team like Spurs. He doesn't score much in the fourth, but in close games he came up with huge baskets out of F'n NOwhere! It's just we don't have that many close games. He gets A by default in my books. He has been a beast for us, it's that we came to expect so much from him, and that works against him when we judge him.

Oh, and I get an erection everytime he dunks the ball --no homo... :nope

:flag:

Obstructed_View
04-09-2012, 02:50 AM
If Bonner ever figures out when to keep his hands straight up and when to actually try to get a block, his defensive effectiveness will go up about a thousand percent.

Stalin
04-09-2012, 02:53 AM
You guys are way too harsh on KL! The guy is a rookie w/o a full training camp and in a such short season where practices are hard to come by, especially in a team like Spurs. He doesn't score much in the fourth, but in close games he came up with huge baskets out of F'n NOwhere! It's just we don't have that many close games. He gets A by default in my books. He has been a beast for us, it's that we came to expect so much from him, and that works against him when we judge him.

Oh, and I get an erection everytime he dunks the ball --no homo... :nope

:flag:

lies

Manu-of-steel
04-09-2012, 04:14 AM
lies

:lol

Paranoid Pop
04-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Pat Mills was awful tonight - I would have given him a D instead of a C-

Agreed, that was no lack of chemistry, he was just throwing some wild passes that were too hard for him. People in here are seriously in love with him, I heard that he had the purest shot on the team the other day (when it was falling lol) and I've yet to hear anyone talk about his passing despite sending Tiago in the cameras the other day and passing badly enough that it got him benched today.

I like him as a project, don't get me wrong but let's not go crazy about the kid just yet.

100%duncan
04-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Good stuff LJ.

TheTruth
04-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Please let this be a more than one game thing. Boris brings so much more to the table than Blair. Blair would be a great energy guy off the bench if he didn't turn into such a pussy when he's not starting.

TJastal
04-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Agreed, that was no lack of chemistry, he was just throwing some wild passes that were too hard for him. People in here are seriously in love with him, I heard that he had the purest shot on the team the other day (when it was falling lol) and I've yet to hear anyone talk about his passing despite sending Tiago in the cameras the other day and passing badly enough that it got him benched today.

I like him as a project, don't get me wrong but let's not go crazy about the kid just yet.

Well if Mills fails the litmus test as a point guard there's always the Neal/Ginobili ballhandling duo which hopefully can "get by" enough for the spurs to win playoff games.

Assuming for a second that Pop addresses the problems of the frontcourt (which are self-imposed for the most part) this would be great if this is the only weakness heading into the playoffs.

TJastal
04-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Please let this be a more than one game thing. Boris brings so much more to the table than Blair. Blair would be a great energy guy off the bench if he didn't turn into such a pussy when he's not starting.

+1

I'm not going to hold my breath however. Seems like every time I get my hopes up as a spurs fan they come crashing down the next week.

ajh18
04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Manu Ginobili A-
Talk about an unexpected stat line, Manu Ginobili had more free throw attempts tonight than he had in his previous 12 games combined. On the season, his free throw rate is by far a career low -- so this was definitely a good sign. Ginobili attacked Utah's physical defense over and over again. While I thought his passing wasn't nearly as crisp as it has usually been this season, Ginobili made up for it with his aggression. Defensively, he did reasonably good work. His individual defense was really active, though he did tend to stray far from his man when defending off the ball.

If you read the ESPN recap of the game, they mention that Manu said he is essentially training his body to absorb contact again in preparation for the playoffs:

Ginobili was 14 of 15 from the foul line, saying he made the conscious decision to attack the basket, in part, because he's essentially trying to get used to absorbing physical contact again.

""It's time for me to join in...I'm trying to start to be more aggressive going to the rim. I haven't been fouled much,"

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=320408024

Cant_Be_Faded
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
If Bonner ever figures out when to keep his hands straight up and when to actually try to get a block, his defensive effectiveness will go up about a thousand percent.

Same could be said for splitter when challenging a man who is stepping a little outside for a mid range jumper

lefty
04-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Tony gave major headaches to Harris :lol

Horse
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Everytime I watch Splitter he scores at will, makes the right passes, defends well, and rebounds. What am I missing that this guy is not playing more?

jason1301
04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
lies

:toast

DBMethos
04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Everytime I watch Splitter he scores at will, makes the right passes, defends well, and rebounds. What am I missing that this guy is not playing more?

He's only allowed to play when Timmy's not in the game. Expect him to get about 8 mpg in the playoffs.

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Same could be said for splitter when challenging a man who is stepping a little outside for a mid range jumper

Yeah. That drives me crazy.

He's only allowed to play when Timmy's not in the game. Expect him to get about 8 mpg in the playoffs.

This is kind of what I'm thinking too. Horrific mismanagement though.

maverick1948
04-09-2012, 05:16 PM
How come Diaw got a B- when he did something no other Spurs had done all year. He should lose a full letter grade for FOULING out. If it had been Bonner, Blair, Neal or Green, they would be humiliated on here.

Paranoid Pop
04-09-2012, 05:17 PM
How come Diaw got a B- when he did something no other Spurs had done all year.

Play good defense :hat?

When your Bonbon got a T earlier in the season, people didn't humiliate him, they were actually quite happy that he showed character for a change.