PDA

View Full Version : Should the Lakers give their 2002 ring to the Kings?

ezau
04-09-2012, 05:13 AM
If there was any legitimate *asterisk* championship in the last decade, it has to be the Lakers' 2002 ring. During the 2002 WCF, the Lakers won a very controversial Game 6 over the Kings. The Kings were about to wrap up the series after winning Game 5 to take a 3-2 lead. However, the Sterns did their best to hand the Lakers Game 6 in order to set up a Game 7 clash. Of course, we all know what happened after that.

Here's ESPN's article that was published back in 08:

LOS ANGELES -- Was Game 3 of the 2008 NBA Finals held at the scene of a crime? Disgraced ex-referee Tim Donaghy alleged as much Tuesday in a filing made by his attorney in U.S. District Court in New York, saying the highly controversial Game 6 of the Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lal)-Kings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sac) playoff series in 2002 was impacted by the actions of two of the three referees who worked the game.

NBA commissioner David Stern vehemently denied the allegations, saying they are the desperate act of a convicted felon. He also disclosed that the league has already briefed members of the U.S. Congress on certain facets of the Donaghy investigation."We welcome scrutiny here.

This is something that should be scrutinized," said Stern, who called Donaghy a "singing, cooperating witness" and repeatedly referred to the former referee as a felon as he spoke with reporters for more than eight minutes near the loading dock of the Staples Center as he arrived for Game 3 of the Finals.

The allegations are some of the strongest ever made against the NBA, coming at a time when the officiating of this year's Finals between the Celtics and Lakers has come under heavy scrutiny.
In the letter submitted by Donaghy's attorney, the following "manipulation" is alleged:

"Referees A, F and G were officiating a playoff series between Teams 5 and 6 in May of 2002. It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew referees A and F to be 'company men,' always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series. Referees A and F heavily favored Team 6. Personal fouls [resulting in obviously injured players] were ignored even when they occurred in full view of the referees. Conversely, the referees called made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6. Their foul-calling also led to the ejection of two Team 5 players. The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night, and Team 6 came back from behind to win that series."

"Although no teams are specifically named, it is not hard to deduce the game in question. The Lakers-Kings series was the only one that postseason that went seven games, and the officiating in Game 6 was so questionable that consumer advocate and former presidential candidate Ralph Nader called for a formal investigation."

Here's how everything becomes even more exciting:

The Lakers attempted 40 free throws to the Kings' 25 in that game, and Los Angeles made 21 of 27 from the line while Sacramento converted 7 of 9 in the fourth quarter alone.

In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3245) of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3118), denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket. Also in that game, Kings centers Vlade Divac (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=84) and Scot Pollard (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3189) fouled out, and Kings coach Rick Adelman was highly critical of the officiating afterward.

IMHO, the Lakers should tear down one banner just to restore a little bit of credibility to their franchise.

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 05:22 AM
The sound of that horn thru the din of that crowd as Horry's shot comes in is one of the greatest sounds I've ever heard.

Jesus, Mother Mary & Joseph.

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 05:30 AM
My God in Heaven, hallow be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done. On earth.

769f_gjkDaA

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 05:31 AM
That fuckin' horn blares at the end, then the crowd.

Sweet Jesus!

namlook
04-09-2012, 05:35 AM
Great thread. Lakers fans get chills watching that video. Great pass by Vlade! :lmao

6hcE6H1LpaQ

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Great thread. Lakers fans get chills watching that video.

It is. It is fucking unbelievable. I'm sitting here, half asleep, just fucking stunned. Just thank Christ CWEBB moved. Early in it he's jostling with Horry. All the fool had to do was stay there.

Jesus Christ.

rayjayjohnson
04-09-2012, 06:07 AM
My God in Heaven, hallow be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done. On earth.

769f_gjkDaA

Fuck off, exiled quitter.

Venti Quattro
04-09-2012, 06:51 AM
The Spurs should give their 2**7 ring to the Suns first and forfeit their 1999 champi*nship ring.

ezau
04-09-2012, 07:04 AM
The Spurs should give their 2**7 ring to the Suns first and forfeit their 1999 champi*nship ring.

:lol:lol

Dex
04-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Pistons should give their 2004 title to the Spurs because the clock started late on .4.

cHeat should give their 2006 title to the Spurs because Manu didn't mean to foul Dirk.

Lakers should give their 2000-2002 titles to the Spurs because I said so.

8-peat, bitches!!! :smokin

thispego
04-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Yes, kings certainly got jobbed, and if I were a laker fan id have a hard time being proud of that championship. But the lakers didn't cheat, the league did. They can keep their tainted banner

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Nah, Kings were a team full of mentally weak pussies. Serves them right.

Venti Quattro
04-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Nah, Kings were a team full of mentally weak pussies. Serves them right.

:lol 16/30 from the line in Game 7
:lol Peja airball

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Fuck off, exiled quitter.

lmcontrolliinao!!!

VBM
04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
It is. It is fucking unbelievable. I'm sitting here, half asleep, just fucking stunned. Just thank Christ CWEBB moved. Early in it he's jostling with Horry. All the fool had to do was stay there.

Jesus Christ.

Thank God Rasheed followed suit in 05.

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Thank God Rasheed followed suit in 05.

Solly Cholly, you're on the list.

Let us proceed...

Sportcamper
04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
To be honest…I can understand the Kings frustration…There were those two play-off years where the Adelman Kings would have waxed any team from the East if they were just able to get by the Shaq, Kobe, and Phil Jackson Lakers…Those were some fierce play-off series….The Lakes cost Sacramento at least two championships….

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 10:27 AM
....all Webber had to do was stay where Adelman put him.

But, he knew better.

Tougheth lucketh.

DeadlyDynasty
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Yup. Webber was mentally weak, along with the rest of those nancies

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Yup. Webber was mentally weak, along with the rest of those nancies

Let us proceed...

DeadlyDynasty
04-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Let us proceed...

I'd stab my own mother in the back if the cause was just.

I'm a man of principle.

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd stab my own mother in the back if the cause was just.

I'm a man of principle.

Let us proceed...

baseline bum
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM

769f_gjkDaA

Always funny to see Rob go Kobe in Eagle on the Kings... Pistons, Nuggets, Suns, and Sixers too.

baseline bum
04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
To be honest…I can understand the Kings frustration…There were those two play-off years where the Adelman Kings would have waxed any team from the East if they were just able to get by the Shaq, Kobe, and Phil Jackson Lakers…Those were some fierce play-off series….The Lakes cost Sacramento at least two championships….

At least two? No way they would have beaten Portland in 2000 nor SA or Philly in 2001 had they gotten through LA.

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Always funny to see Rob go Kobe in Eagle on the Kings... Pistons, Nuggets, Suns, and Sixers too.

Let us proceed...

Sportcamper
04-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Baseline- I think the Kings would have beaten both the Nets & 76ers in that era…The Kings had a lot of talent and a great game time coach…

baseline bum
04-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Baseline- I think the Kings would have beaten both the Nets & 76ers in that era…The Kings had a lot of talent and a great game time coach…

No doubt they would have stomped the shit out of the Nets in 02 (probably in 5 games), but Duncan would have destroyed them in '01. Peja Stojakovic and Jason Williams would have no chance doing what Fox and Fisher did in completely shutting down the Spurs perimeter shooting.

baseline bum
04-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Let us proceed...

I had 284 reasons to put you up on the tree, man.

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I had 284 reasons to put you up on the tree, man.

& now you can live with that decision.

Let us proceed...

Killakobe81
04-09-2012, 12:34 PM
If there was any legitimate *asterisk* championship in the last decade, it has to be the Lakers' 2002 ring. During the 2002 WCF, the Lakers won a very controversial Game 6 over the Kings. The Kings were about to wrap up the series after winning Game 5 to take a 3-2 lead. However, the Sterns did their best to hand the Lakers Game 6 in order to set up a Game 7 clash. Of course, we all know what happened after that.

Here's ESPN's article that was published back in 08:

LOS ANGELES -- Was Game 3 of the 2008 NBA Finals held at the scene of a crime? Disgraced ex-referee Tim Donaghy alleged as much Tuesday in a filing made by his attorney in U.S. District Court in New York, saying the highly controversial Game 6 of the Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lal)-Kings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sac) playoff series in 2002 was impacted by the actions of two of the three referees who worked the game.

NBA commissioner David Stern vehemently denied the allegations, saying they are the desperate act of a convicted felon. He also disclosed that the league has already briefed members of the U.S. Congress on certain facets of the Donaghy investigation."We welcome scrutiny here.

This is something that should be scrutinized," said Stern, who called Donaghy a "singing, cooperating witness" and repeatedly referred to the former referee as a felon as he spoke with reporters for more than eight minutes near the loading dock of the Staples Center as he arrived for Game 3 of the Finals.

The allegations are some of the strongest ever made against the NBA, coming at a time when the officiating of this year's Finals between the Celtics and Lakers has come under heavy scrutiny.
In the letter submitted by Donaghy's attorney, the following "manipulation" is alleged:

"Referees A, F and G were officiating a playoff series between Teams 5 and 6 in May of 2002. It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew referees A and F to be 'company men,' always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series. Referees A and F heavily favored Team 6. Personal fouls [resulting in obviously injured players] were ignored even when they occurred in full view of the referees. Conversely, the referees called made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6. Their foul-calling also led to the ejection of two Team 5 players. The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night, and Team 6 came back from behind to win that series."

"Although no teams are specifically named, it is not hard to deduce the game in question. The Lakers-Kings series was the only one that postseason that went seven games, and the officiating in Game 6 was so questionable that consumer advocate and former presidential candidate Ralph Nader called for a formal investigation."

Here's how everything becomes even more exciting:

The Lakers attempted 40 free throws to the Kings' 25 in that game, and Los Angeles made 21 of 27 from the line while Sacramento converted 7 of 9 in the fourth quarter alone.

In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3245) of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3118), denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket. Also in that game, Kings centers Vlade Divac (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=84) and Scot Pollard (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3189) fouled out, and Kings coach Rick Adelman was highly critical of the officiating afterward.

IMHO, the Lakers should tear down one banner just to restore a little bit of credibility to their franchise.

Either you believe in asterisks or you don't you dont get to pick and choose ...

mavsfan1000
04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Now that I see what an idiot Chris Webber was, I'm glad he didn't get a ring.

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Now that I see what an idiot Chris Webber was, I'm glad he didn't get a ring.

tee, hee. All he had to do was faceguard Horry for 24 seconds.

Saylarvee.

NewcastleKEG
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
y4t5RMFt5u8

NewcastleKEG
04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Kobe Bryant

2000: Sidekick title
2001: Sidekick title

2004: Finals lose to Pistons

2008: Finals lose to Pistons

Kobe Bryant: 2 Sidekick titles & 2 Finals loses

Greatness? Hilarious

Killakobe81
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Kobe Bryant

Greatness? Hilarious

I wouldnt think after that 4th quarter and OT display that any BULLS fan would be dissing any other superstars on the matter of "greatness" ... but hey what do I know? For the record ... I was defending your boy yesterday but could easily scoff at him if I chose ...

NewcastleKEG
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I wouldnt think after that 4th quarter and OT display that any BULLS fan would be dissing any other superstars on the matter of "greatness" ... but hey what do I know? For the record ... I was defending your boy yesterday but could easily scoff at him if I chose ...
Rose has matched Kobe's career with a fraction of the time

I'm fairly certain matching Rose with a Bynum & Gasol would win him some rings

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm fairly certain matching Rose with a Bynum & Gasol would win him some rings

All you have to do is open your pie hole and say it.

Just like that.

Deuce Bigalow
04-09-2012, 05:35 PM
2002 WCF
Lakers - 4
Kings - 3

Deuce Bigalow
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Kobe Bryant

Greatness? Hilarious
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kobe+Bryant+Pau+Gasol+Los+Angeles+Lakers+Media+jcI XX6K5Khrl.jpg

NewcastleKEG
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Kobe with an average NBA roster

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac255/kegstermd/2005Lakers.png

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac255/kegstermd/Lakerslosing.png

NewcastleKEG
04-09-2012, 06:07 PM
LOL @ Finishing the season 10-29

Deuce Bigalow
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Jordan has 0 winning seasons (.500%) seasons without Pippen

next

midnightpulp
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Fuck the '02 Kings. I have no sympathy for those assholes. They dug their own grave missing 20 fts in Game 7.

Giuseppe

next

Venti Quattro

next

calculated truth bomb

NewcastleKEG
04-09-2012, 10:23 PM

next
38-year old MJ with Wizards in 2001 (30-30)
21-year old MJ with Bulls in 1985 (9-9)

26-year old Kobe with Lakers in 2004 (28-38)

Ouch

Giuseppe
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
^

next

namlook
04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Rose has matched Kobe's career with a fraction of the time

:lmao:rollin:lmao

next

Not only that, Jordan's record in the playoffs without Pippen is 1-9. That's almost as bad as Gasol's 0-12 without Kobe.

But what a lot of dumbshits don't know is a person's career is measures by their successes, not their failures. No one talks about how all the great players failed most of the time. That's just stupid because the very nature of professional team sports like Football/Basketball/Baseball is that you fail more often that you succeed.

whitemamba
04-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Great thread. Lakers fans get chills watching that video. Great pass by Vlade! :lmao

6hcE6H1LpaQ

lol wil never forget that.. fucking awesome.

Giuseppe
04-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Not only that, Jordan's record in the playoffs without Pippen is 1-9. That's almost as bad as Gasol's 0-12 without Kobe.

look

100%duncan
04-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Pistons should give their 2004 title to the Spurs because the clock started late on .4.

cHeat should give their 2006 title to the Spurs because Manu didn't mean to foul Dirk.

Lakers should give their 2000-2002 titles to the Spurs because I said so.

8-peat, bitches!!! :smokin

:lol