PDA

View Full Version : Diaw Interview On "Lequipe.fr"

adrien
04-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Here is a translation of a Diaw interview on lequipe's website. Hope I didn't betray any of his "thoughts"...

"Boris Diaw, how do you feel two weeks after joining the San Antonio Spurs ?"

"Everything is all right. I am still adjusting, which is totally normal. I need a little more time to learn all the systems since there are a lot (smiling). I try to know my teammates better watching constantly how they move in order to integrate the playing philosophy of the team. Since the team is so fluid, i need to blend in. I have to find my spot. I have to learn how to play with my teammates and my teammates have to learn how to play with me."

"Regarding your role with the team, how does Gregg Popovich plan to use you ?"

"I have been acquired to play PF. But since I joined the team, Gregg Popovich used me at all the positions. He wants me to be a "game-easier", to help the ball moving and he wants me to bring my experience and my basketball IQ. To sum up, he wants me to be at the service of the team."

"You went from playing with the worst team of the season, the Charlotte Bobcats, to a franchise that is among the favorites for the title..."

(He cuts the journalist) "I am very happy to play for one of the best teams in the league. The big difference between the Bobcats and the Spurs is that those two teams don't have the same goals. In Charlotte, the teams goal was to fight for the 8th spot qualifying for the playoffs. In San Antonio, it's another world. The one and only goal of the franchise is to fight for the title."

"Since joining, you still haven't lost and the team is going through an amazing run of 11 wins. What's the Spurs' strength this year ?"

"Our main strength is the group. Everything is set up so smoothly. Every player know exactly what he has to do on the court, nothing is left aside. I also think that the group, apart from being very talented and experimented, is really deep. Our bench is deep, and it's very important in this short season. I really think that we are one of the most complete teams in the NBA."

"With the Spurs, you joined your great friend and French National teammate Tony Parker. How do you feel playing with him ?"

"I'm so happy to join him. Instead of seeing only two months a year while playing for France, I see him all day (laughs). It's amazing to play with him, that's for sure. Everybody knows we get along very well on and outside the court, so I'm glad we play for the same team. When you get traded, knowing that you're gonna join a team where a friend plays is quite an advantage. Tony helps me a lot. For example, I live at his place since joining San Antonio."

"If the Spurs reach the NBA finals, you will end the season just one month before the beginning of the Olympic Games..."

"I don't look further than the end of the regular season, but I feel quite OK with that possibility. There still remain, I hope so, a lot of games with San Antonio and I take the steps one at a time. If we get to the Finals with the Spurs, it will be, for Tony and I, an "added" physical preparation for the Olympics. In that case, we will be much more ready physically than if we had to do a preparation after several weeks of holidays."

Here is the link to the itw in French :
http://www.lequipe.fr/Basket/Actualites/Diaw-me-faire-ma-place/275911

arles
04-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the translation!
I really like what Boris is doing for us.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for posting this.

MmP
04-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks, its nice to read Boris thoughts on the Spurs, hope he's pumped up for playing for us

TJastal
04-09-2012, 08:59 AM
That's nice of Tony to give Diaw a place to stay for the time being. But I hope they get along in that regard. Friends don't always make the best roommates.

Ice009
04-09-2012, 09:03 AM
I think Boris' game fits the Spurs very well. I didn't know his game too well before he joined the Spurs, but now I really like his game. On the right team he can be a very, very good player. With the players we have now I think this is the team.

timvp
04-09-2012, 09:03 AM
That reminds me that France, Argentina, Brazil, Australia and Canada will be actively rooting for the Spurs to lose quickly in the playoffs so their players can get ready for the lameness that is the Olympics. :td

TJastal
04-09-2012, 09:05 AM
That reminds me that France, Argentina, Brazil, Australia and Canada will be actively rooting for the Spurs to lose quickly in the playoffs so their players can get ready for the lameness that is the Olympics. :td

Canada lol

Spursfanfromafar
04-09-2012, 09:13 AM

The Olympics is not as lame as the World Championships. The latter is a fortnight of lousy competition and poor basketball. The Olympics generally get to feature some extra competitiveness and feistiness as players tend to play better for their nations than professionally sometimes.

TimmehC
04-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Does Canada really care that much about Cory? I know Bonner got denied citizenship for like the thousandth time.

lefty
04-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Best french player on the team

:stirpot:

boutons_deux
04-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Diaw is Frenchie who has become visibly, jiggly Freedom-fried. He must about 40 pounds over lean weight. Very Americanized. :)

anakha
04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Best french player on the team

:stirpot:

If he could play up to his potential, he honestly could be. And this is coming from someone who thinks Parker is the shit.

MmP
04-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Not me at all.

Mel_13
04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for posting and translating.

I like this part:

"Everything is set up so smoothly. Every player know exactly what he has to do on the court, nothing is left aside."

TDMVPDPOY
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
the difference between a fatty and a fit diaw...how many charges will he put his body on the line?

Slomo
04-09-2012, 10:58 AM

"Regarding your role with the team, how does Gregg Popovich plan to use you ?"

"I have been acquired to play PF. But since I joined the team, Gregg Popovich used me at all the positions. He wants me to be a "game-easier", to help the ball moving and he wants me to bring my experience and my basketball IQ. To sum up, he wants me to be at the service of the team."

Thanks for posting the article and the translation. If I may just add a little comment instead of "game-easier" I believe "facilitator" is a better translation.

:tu

sinok
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for posting the article and the translation. If I may just add a little comment instead of "game-easier" I believe "facilitator" is a better translation.

:tu

And facilitateur (french neologism for facilitator) was the exact term used by Babac in his interview...

elemento
04-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Hell no

As a Brazilian and a Spurs fan i'd rather see the Spurs winning it all easily and I want Spliiter to play as many minutes as possible.

Nobody gives a shit about the Brazilian national team in Brazil. Even Nene and Barbosa don't give a shit about playing for the national team.

I couldn't care less about them.

Poolboy5623
04-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Im not sure I really understand all of the "overweight" comments towards Boris....is the guy ripped with muscle? Of course not, but I dont look at the guy and his game and immediately think FATASS..I have been rather impressed with Boris and am hoping he will play another year or two with the Spurs(doubt it but I hope). I wish pop would give him Bonners minutes...Diaw can spread the floor but he doesnt have to hit 5-6 threes a game to be effective like Bonner-- If Matt gets more than 10 min/game this postseason Im gonna be pissed.

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Im not sure I really understand all of the "overweight" comments towards Boris....is the guy ripped with muscle? Of course not, but I dont look at the guy and his game and immediately think FATASS..I have been rather impressed with Boris and am hoping he will play another year or two with the Spurs(doubt it but I hope). I wish pop would give him Bonners minutes...Diaw can spread the floor but he doesnt have to hit 5-6 threes a game to be effective like Bonner-- If Matt gets more than 10 min/game this postseason Im gonna be pissed.

:lol

Normally I'd be right with you but I've already prepared myself for the worst. Let's just hope he makes his shots and be glad that Bonner/Blair won't be playing together.

boutons_deux
04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Watch him run, he jiggles like Malik did as a Knick.

OoOoOoOoOoO
04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Hell no

As a Brazilian and a Spurs fan i'd rather see the Spurs winning it all easily and I want Spliiter to play as many minutes as possible.

Nobody gives a shit about the Brazilian national team in Brazil. Even Nene and Barbosa don't give a shit about playing for the national team.

I couldn't care less about them.

Well, speak for yourself, dude. Olympics are awesome and I hope to catch as many games as possible. I am Brazilian and follow closely the NT.

And I also want the Spurs to win, of course. Rooting for a team to lose so a single player doesn`t play for some more games in such a game packed season is stupid, imo. Afterall the Olympics are comprised of fewer games per team than 2 or 3 playoff rounds.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-09-2012, 10:43 PM
That's nice of Tony to give Diaw a place to stay for the time being. But I hope they get along in that regard. Friends don't always make the best roommates.

I think Mansion-mates may be a different deal. Tony just needs to give him a key. They could both be home all day and be unaware.