PDA

View Full Version : Mavs & Odom part ways for rest of season

bklynspursfan
04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Not that he did much for them anyway, but wow..

"The Mavericks and I have mutually agreed that it's in the best interest of both parties for me to step away from the team," Odom said in a statement to ESPN.com. "I'm sorry that things didn't work out better for both of us, but I wish the Mavs' organization, my teammates and Dallas fans nothing but continued success in the defense of their championship."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7791431/dallas-mavericks-lamar-odom-sever-ties-immediately

Spur|n|Austin
04-09-2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

bklynspursfan
04-09-2012, 09:29 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

lol all this time I usually come straight here. I see ppl posting about other teams here so just figured it wouldnt matter

Dr Cox
04-09-2012, 09:37 AM
#fail

Dex
04-09-2012, 09:45 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

bigfan
04-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Now he can spend the day eating hot dogs and ice cream with that fat hag of a wife.

justinandimcool
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
i dont care how shitty his life/mental health has been, or how much i hate the Mavs...what an incredibly unprofessional output from this guy. i'm sure there have been hundreds of other players who have dealt with depression, loss, and ugly wives over the course of the season and handled it 100x better than he has.

lol mavs

Duncan2177
04-09-2012, 10:38 AM
What a wuss

Stump
04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't like the Mavs, but they have gotten so screwed by Odom that it pisses me off. The Mavs are a great organization and deserve the opportunity to defend their title. Instead, they are going to limp into the playoffs because the biggest offseason move they made was a disaster of Jefferson proportions. I hope Odom isn't getting paid for the last ten games.

Mel_13
04-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't like the Mavs, but they have gotten so screwed by Odom that it pisses me off. The Mavs are a great organization and deserve the opportunity to defend their title. Instead, they are going to limp into the playoffs because the biggest offseason move they made was a disaster of Jefferson proportions. I hope Odom isn't getting paid for the last ten games.

Cuban should have paid Chandler if they wanted a real opportunity to defend.

Proxy
04-09-2012, 12:35 PM
"Left reeling by the July murder of his 24-year-old cousin and a fatal car accident days later that killed a teen pedestrian after the car he was riding in as a passenger collided with a motorcycle, Odom did almost no basketball training during the five-month lockout."

You guys that are pissed at him for anything need to reexamine what you care about. Why should anyone of you give a shit about him? It's his life. The money he made was from Cuban. Nothing he did impacts any of us, but for some reason you all have chosen to care about something that really is no one's business.

SpurinDallas
04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
In 2010, I lost an infant daughter and my mother within 3 months of each other. I missed a total of 2 and a half weeks of work despite being heartbroken and broken spiritually and emotionally. I still had a family to take care of so I couldn't go AWOL in life, like this scrub has done. I'm sorry, I don't feel sorry for this guy at all.

GrandeDavid
04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
What a disaster signing for Big D.

SpurinDallas
04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
What a disaster signing for Big D.

Better them than us! :downspin:

Duncan2177
04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Odom needs to stop having himself a pity party.

Proxy
04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
In 2010, I lost an infant daughter and my mother within 3 months of each other. I missed a total of 2 and a half weeks of work despite being heartbroken and broken spiritually and emotionally. I still had a family to take care of so I couldn't go AWOL in life, like this scrub has done. I'm sorry, I don't feel sorry for this guy at all.

My entire family was murdered and I had to watch. I didn't miss any days of work.

Solid D
04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
My entire family was murdered and I had to watch. I didn't miss any days of work.

What are you, 14 years old?

Spur|n|Austin
04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Wahh wahh wahhhhh, this thread just got murdered geez.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
"Left reeling by the July murder of his 24-year-old cousin and a fatal car accident days later that killed a teen pedestrian after the car he was riding in as a passenger collided with a motorcycle, Odom did almost no basketball training during the five-month lockout."

Need to fix this to:

"Distracted by being married to a Kardashian and being on a reality TV show, and having no Kobe Bryant to kick his ass around when he slacked during the off-season, the child-like Odom reverted to sitting around all day eating candy and playing video games. When pressed on the matter, he cried out, "It's not my fault! All this terrible stuff happened to people I don't really know and I just couldn't work out! WAAAAH!" Mark Cuban, not wanting to look like a Scrooge and incur the wrath of the Kardashian legions, decided to pay him anyway to stay away. Privately, Cuban put all Kardashians on the EXACT REVENGE section of his life goals list."

Proxy
04-09-2012, 01:06 PM
What are you, 14 years old?

I'm making a point. People don't need to project themselves on to other people. It isn't their business. It's selfish.

baseline bum
04-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Odom should have retired then; shady to collect $11 million for nothing.

The ADMIRAL 50
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
pretty unprofessional tbh. No matter what is going on if youre collecting the checks you need to be putting in the work. If you need a leave of absence say so from the get go, dont tank a season while getting paid all along before bowing out. I'm sorry, the personal tragedies suck but would they have affected his season this much if he was still in LA? I dont think so.

I dont like RJ, but he has been a great example of how to act like a professional post-trade, and he went to Golden fucking State. You can't get your shit together to play for the defending NBA champions? Its not likehe got shipped to Charlotte, gimme a fucking break.

Solid D
04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm making a point. People don't need to project themselves on to other people. It isn't their business. It's selfish.

That's certainly a more mature and clear way stating your point. Thank you. You appeared to be sympathetic and non-judgmental to Odom's situation, so that was quite a reaction to SpurinDallas' situation.

Proxy
04-09-2012, 02:18 PM
That's certainly a more mature and clear way stating your point. Thank you. You appeared to be sympathetic and non-judgmental to Odom's situation, so that was quite a reaction to SpurinDallas' situation.

I failed at making my sarcasm apparent. My bad.

It just irked me. I don't see why people care about this. People want to say that he didn't deserve the money he was paid... but when did players deserve to make millions for playing a sport? It's money from the Dallas Maverick franchise and Cuban... a business... not out of any of our pockets unless you want to count ticket and merchandise sales from Dallas fans... which I don't care for since they won it all last year and the team's misfortunes should be pointed at Cuban for not resigning JJ and Tyson; not Odom.

therealtruth
04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Cuban should have paid Chandler if they wanted a real opportunity to defend.

This. I don't understand why Cuban tried to outsmart himself. He spent so many years and millions of dollars acquiring talent to see what works. When he finally gets the winning combination he abandons it. He didn't have to keep Barea or Butler but Chandler was the piece that everybody agreed was crucial.

baseline bum
04-09-2012, 02:41 PM
the team's misfortunes should be pointed at Cuban for not resigning JJ and Tyson; not Odom.

That's ridiculous to blame only one party. If Odom couldn't play he should have retired. It's one thing to have a shitty year and not live up to a contract, but to just quit the team like he tried to do earlier in the year?

Obstructed_View
04-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Odom wasn't even showing up on time. He's been milking this thing to fuck off whenever he likes and draw a paycheck.

Spurious
04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
This guy has been paid (notice I didn't use the verb "earned") nearly $100 million in his NBA career. Have some dignity and retire if you aren't gonna keep "earning" it, man.

callo1
04-09-2012, 05:22 PM

You guys that are pissed at him for anything need to reexamine what you care about. Why should anyone of you give a shit about him? It's his life. The money he made was from Cuban. Nothing he did impacts any of us, but for some reason you all have chosen to care about something that really is no one's business.

Thank you for giving us perspective. I had forgotten about that.

I wish the best for him.

TampaDude
04-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Odom has always been physically very gifted, but mentally weak, even when he was with the Lakers. Still love to have his $$$, though.

Tyrone Jenkins
04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Thank you for giving us perspective. I had forgotten about that.

I wish the best for him.

Kobe is going through a divorce and leading the league in points....

It's about mental toughness. Odom doesn't have much nor has he ever displayed that he had. I think it's pretty chickenshit of him, regardless of if his dog died, his mom died or his wife died, that he go out like that. There are other ways to do so - with dignity, class and style - that neither he nor the orgainization would be unhappy about.

How about a leave of absence and getting some professional help from a team dr./phychiatrist? How about a press conference PRIOR to be relegated to the D league assignment stating the issues he was facing and his plan for personal (not necessarily basketball) recovery? How about retiring? How about . . . there are probably 4 or 5 other courses of action that would've been a better/wiser choice.

Just because someone is going through a rough patch of life is no excuse for handling that rough patch in less than a professional manner. He's not the 1st guy to have a difficult time nor will he be the last.

ffadicted
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Serves them right for that free trade