PDA

View Full Version : The DeJuan Blair Conundrum

timvp
04-09-2012, 02:53 PM
The Spurs have had a great amount of success with DeJuan Blair as their starting center. However, despite that success, many Spurs fans believe that the team would be much better with Blair coming off the bench. The statistics agree: Judging by plus/minus numbers, Blair is far and away the worst player on the team.

Let's look at both sides of this debate:

Five Reasons Why DeJuan Blair Shouldn't Start

1. DeJuan Blair is a Defensive Liability
Typically, Blair is asked to defend the opposing power forward. Against perimeter-oriented players, he is uncomfortable. Blair isn't good at contesting jumpers or keeping players in front of him. Versus post players, Blair's lack of height is oftentimes exposed. In terms of help defense and transition, he's well below average. Statistically, the Spurs allow 98.2 points per 48 minutes Blair is on the court. With Blair on the bench, the Spurs only allow 93.8 points per 48 minutes.

2. DeJuan Blair Doesn't Spread the Court
On offense, virtually all the best performers on the team require an open lane in order to play at their optimal level. When Blair is on the court, there's simply not much space to operate in the paint. Even though he's a good passer and capable in pick-and-rolls, the lack of spacing on the court when Blair plays is painfully obvious. The Spurs score 97.6 points per 48 minute when Blair is on the court. When he's off the court, the scoring improves dramatically to 104.6 points per 48 minutes.

3. DeJuan Blair Doesn't Rebound Well Anymore
In college and in his rookie season, Blair was a fantastic rebounder on both ends of the court. His rebounding numbers dropped a bit in his second season. This year, Blair has regressed to the point that he's no longer an asset on the glass. From his rookie season, his offensive rebounding has fallen 13.8% and his defensive rebounding has fallen 28.6%.

4. DeJuan Blair is a Poor Match for Potential Playoff Opponents
In the Western Conference, the Thunder, Lakers, Grizzlies, Clippers and Mavericks will likely be San Antonio's biggest competition. The power forward on those teams (Serge Ibaka, Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Blake Griffin and Dirk Nowitzki) are all extremely talented and all poor matchups for Blair.

5. DeJuan Blair is Better Suited for a Bench Role
In theory, Blair would be a much easier player to manage when he's coming off the bench. The coaches could use him in situations where his weaknesses can be camouflaged and his strengths can be magnified. Malik Rose, for example, had a very successful run with the Spurs even though he too was undersized.

Five Reasons Why DeJuan Blair Should Start

1. DeJuan Blair Wins
At every level, Blair has proven to be a winner as a starter. In high school, his team went 103-16 in his four years. At Pitt, Blair's teams went 58-15. He has started 141 games for the Spurs in his three seasons in San Antonio. In those games, the Spurs are 105-36 -- a .745 winning percentage that translates to a 61-win regular season. In the other 93 games during that time frame, the Spurs are 52-41 -- a .559 winning percentage that translates to a 46-win season.

2. DeJuan Blair Makes Life Easier for Tim Duncan
After the 2008-09 season, Duncan told the front office that he wanted the team to acquire an "ass-kicking" bigman to help lessen the physical toll on his body. The Spurs responded by bringing in Blair. And the numbers point to Blair helping out Duncan. This season, Duncan averages 22.1 points and 3.9 assists per 40 minutes that he's on the court with Blair, while shooting 48% from the floor. Per 40 minutes he plays without Blair, Duncan's numbers drop to 19.7 points and 2.8 assists on 46% shooting. Last season there were similar splits: 19.3 points and 4.4 assists with Blair, 18.7 points and 3.3 assists without Blair.

3. DeJuan Blair Makes Teams Adjust
If you remove Blair from this team, the Spurs would be extremely perimeter-oriented as a team. Duncan these days is much more likely to be found operating in pick-and-rolls or on the high post than he is to be found posting up. Splitter is almost exclusively a pick-and-roll bigman. Blair, on the other hand, does his work right around the rim. If teams ignore him, Blair can make the opponents pay. Hypothetically, the adjustment from defending Blair to defending the perimeter-oriented bench unit could cause the opposition some problems. And while that is a difficult thing to prove statistically, consider this: over the last two seasons, Matt Bonner shoots 47.3% (159-for-336) on three-pointers in games in which Blair starts. When Blair comes off the bench, Bonner's three-point percentage drops to 35.2% (44-for-125). Fluke? Perhaps ... but maybe not.

4. DeJuan Blair Might Otherwise Sulk
Blair is loved by his teammates and the coaches like the effort he gives on the court. However, last season Blair sulked after being removed from the starting lineup. Not only did his energy level dip, he began gaining weight. By the end of the season, he had become a non-factor. If he's benched again this year, the coaches would have to be worried about Blair sulking again. Since this team still doesn't have great bigman depth, losing Blair entirely would be a negative. Plus, as long as he's starting, Blair is happy. He has never complained about a lack of minutes as a starter, even though he routinely plays the fewest minutes of all the players in the starting lineup.

5. DeJuan Blair's Poor Play is Mitigated
Even when DeJuan Blair plays poorly, there's only so much damage he can do when the minutes he gets are at the start of each half. He rarely closes quarters, much less games. When it comes money time, Blair as a starter helps make sure he's far away from the court. In the past, the Spurs won a championship with Nazr Mohammed, who similarly posted poor plus/minus numbers.

Conclusion

So, should DeJuan Blair continue to start? My first reaction is to think that the Spurs would be much better with Boris Diaw or Tiago Splitter starting. But that gargantuan difference in winning percentage and the rather large drop in shooting accuracy from Bonner makes me think twice. Honestly, I'd probably still bench Blair but I can't say I'm 100% sure that it would make the Spurs better.

Sa_Spursfan20
04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Nice read Timvp. You bring up a lot of valid points.

4. DeJuan Blair Might Otherwise Sulk
Blair is loved by his teammates and the coaches like the effort he gives on the court. However, last season Blair sulked after being removed from the starting lineup. Not only did his energy level dip, he began gaining weight. By the end of the season, he had become a non-factor. If he's benched again this year, the coaches would have to be worried about Blair sulking again. Since this team still doesn't have great bigman depth, losing Blair entirely would be a negative. Plus, as long as he's starting, Blair is happy. He has never complained about a lack of minutes as a starter, even though he routinely plays the fewest minutes of all the players in the starting lineup.

Honestly, that is my biggest concern if Pop decides to bench Blair. An unhappy Blair is essentially a dead roster spot for the Spurs. Right now I have the mindset of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Blair brings some nice numbers and play most of the time, and he usually doesn't get a terribly high amount of minutes. If he isn't playing well in a game, just send him to the bench and let Diaw or Tiago (God I wish) work. I'd rather have a 5 man lineup with Blair starting than a 4 man lineup with Blair having a pity party on the bench...

Obstructed_View
04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
If memory serves, Blair has had quite a bit of success against the Lakers and the Thunder.

2centsworth
04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
He chose the triple cheeseburger over his
team.

dylankerouac
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Timvp, you have convinced me that Blair should keep his place in the starting lineup. At least until this season is over. If the Spurs win a championship with him as a starter I would probably be against offloading him in the off-season too.

A B2B would be nice, but one thing at a time.

Splits
04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Blair sulking should not be a factor in deciding whether or not he starts. For christ's sake he's paid very well to play a game on the most professional organization in the world. Fill your role, bust your ass, work hard, and STFU like the rest of the roster.

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 03:18 PM
If memory serves, Blair has had quite a bit of success against the Lakers and the Thunder.

The Thunder yes, and possibly offensively against the Lakers. I don't think his defense was very good against LAL if memory serves...

Even then I just don't see what he has to offer that Diaw couldn't do better.

loveforthegame
04-09-2012, 03:20 PM
The Spurs looked so much better with Diaw starting.

Should Pop bench Blair and he sulks then screw him. The team comes first.

TwelveGs210
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Only reason I want him to continue to get his minutes is to keep awareness of him from other GM's, and not to mention sulking his way into becoming less tradeable. Is he under contract next year?

Obstructed_View
04-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah, but the quote said that the SPURS have had great success with Blair as the starting center. Last time I checked, the Spurs haven't won a championship with Blair as the starting center. Perhaps the author of the thread considers that great success equals winning tons of regular games, which isn't the case either, because the majority of those games weren't won due to Blair's performance

Blair got pulled from the starting lineup and wasn't in the rotation for the playoffs last year. You might extend your logic to explain how losing to the Grizzlies was on him.

Whisky Dog
04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I think you can keep Blair as the starter if TD and the team feel in a rhythm with Blair starting. If he starts really screwing things up in the playoffs you can cut him from the rotation, but I doubt that he'd be that bad when he's basically playing 10 or so min a night in the postseason.

SenorSpur
04-09-2012, 03:36 PM

^This.

Ever since his rookie year, when he put up an astonishing 28 pts & 22 rebs, Blair has had surprising success against OKC, on a fairly consistent basis.

As for whether or not he should continue to start, I've thought a lot about this too. Blair seems to know his role, as a starter. He tries to bring good energy early and get the team off with some early, easy baskets. Unless he's gets into early foul trouble, this is what he does.

His weaknesses have been mitigated by the addition of Diaw and the increased playing time of Splitter. If Blair gets a bad matchup in the playoffs, I would expect his minutes to decrease even more.

Personally, I believe it would be risky for Pop to "upset the apple cart" now, by removing him as a starter. And as others have stated, I would be concerned about losing him altogether, if that would occur.

Obstructed_View
04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
^This.

Ever since his rookie year, when he put up an astonishing 28 pts & 22 rebs, Blair has had surprising success against OKC, on a fairly consistent basis.

As for whether or not he should continue to start, I've thought a lot about this too. Blair seems to know his role, as a starter. He tries to bring good energy early and get the team off with some early, easy baskets. Unless he's gets into early foul trouble, this is what he does.

His weaknesses have been mitigated by the addition of Diaw and the increased playing time of Splitter. Personally, I believe it would be risky for Pop to upset the apple cart now.

Early energy is very underrated by those that throw advanced stats out there to justify their dislike for him.

Paranoid Pop
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
^This.

On offense yes but he didn't contest a single Ibaka jumper in the last game :sleep.

His weaknesses have been mitigated by the addition of Diaw and the increased playing time of Splitter. Personally, I believe it would be risky for Pop to upset the apple cart now.

It comes down to a simple question : is the upgrade provided by Diaw worth the risk of having the second coming of the Mavs version of Lamar Odom in the locker room?

I say yes.

Darkwaters
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Is he under contract next year?

Yep, but the contract is still dirt cheap and only partially guaranteed.

TJastal
04-09-2012, 03:48 PM
"Don't rock the apple cart".. no we're just giving it fancy rims and a new paint job. Oh, and a turbo booster.

2centsworth
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
During the win streak Blair is avg 3.6 board

Leonard is avg 6

Ginobilli avg 4.3

Spurminator
04-09-2012, 03:56 PM
We've altered rotations during the Playoffs with some success in the past. Give it two games in and make the change then if needed.

We tried this change last year and the team never looked the same afterward. I can't pin that completely on Blair being out of the starting lineup, nor can I say for sure that it wouldn't be different this year with the different personnel we have, but it's a risk I'm not really ready to see the Spurs take.

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 04:03 PM
We've altered rotations during the Playoffs with some success in the past. Give it two games in and make the change then if needed.

We tried this change last year and the team never looked the same afterward. I can't pin that completely on Blair being out of the starting lineup, nor can I say for sure that it wouldn't be different this year with the different personnel we have, but it's a risk I'm not really ready to see the Spurs take.

Replacing Blair with Dice was the problem. Not necessarily the move of benching Blair.

Diaw at this point is a better version of Blair who's also taller. Pulling him is the right thing to do so that we don't end up needing the bench to save us in the playoffs.

TJastal
04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Apple cart w/ Dejuan Blair starting:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2584/applecart.jpg

Apple cart w/ Boris Diaw starting:

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2375/fruitv.jpg

Ginobleed20
04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm all for Blair basically starting each half and only getting more than his six minutes if he earns them - I see that as the best way to keep him motivated.

Also, Plus-Minus stats are especially unfriendly to blair who almost exclusively plays against the other team's best five.

Would I mind starting Diaw and losing Blair completely? Well, yes. He provides an dimension (space-clogging) that our roster simply cant replicate. Unless we replace him in the starting lineup with splitter (UNLIKELY), lets just keep him in there and realize that games aren't won or lost in the first six minutes

angelbelow
04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
The bottom line for me:

-If the Spurs were a lottery level/ bottom feeding playoff team; then I would start Blair and continue to give him minutes. While its true he doesn't have ACLs and probably wont have a long and iron man-esque career, the man still has potential and plenty of room to grow. Therefore, if the Spurs were a bad team, I'd give him the opportunity to room.

-If our current state as contenders, I would bench Blair and use him as the 5th option. Under no circumstance should Blair play more than 12 minutes on a championship contending team. However, I still like what he does at the beginning of games so starting him for 6 minutes. From there, you can decide whether Blair would continue to be effect and play him for another 6 minutes at the beginning of the 3rd or just keep him on the bench for the rest of the game.

Bruno
04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
And while that is a difficult thing to prove statistically, consider this: over the last two seasons, Matt Bonner shoots 47.3% (159-for-336) on three-pointers in games in which Blair starts. When Blair comes off the bench, Bonner's three-point percentage drops to 35.2% (44-for-125). Fluke? Perhaps ... but maybe not.

There is a way more logical explanation of these numbers.
When Blair doesn't start, he plays way more minutes alongside Bonner. These stats could be explained by the fact that Bonner struggles to play alongside Blair. It seems to be a more convincing explanation that teams struggling to adjust at Bonner monster offensive game.

Not only did his energy level dip, he began gaining weight.

I think you got it the wrong way. Blair got benched because he was fat.

In this article, (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/05/13/pop%E2%80%99s-offseason-goal-discover-duncan%E2%80%99s-sidekick/) they said that Blair got fat was called out by Pop and lost 20lbs. I highly doubt all of that happened in the month and half between his benching and the end of the season.

timvp
04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
The Spurs are as good as they are due to their bench. San Antonio's formula for success has been to have the starters hold it close and then for the bench to come in and blow it open.

With that in mind, it comes down to this:

Does DeJuan Blair starting have anything to do with the bench's success?

It sounds impossible at first ... but maybe there's something to it. When Blair is in, the Spurs pound it inside more than any other time in the game. They also run fewer pick-and-rolls when Blair is in the game. Once Blair is removed, the Spurs become a totally different team.

Does that change in identity have anything to do with the bench doing so well? It makes some sense because the type of defense needed to stop the Spurs when Blair is in the game is a totally different type of defense needed to stop the Spurs when Blair checks out.

To compare it to football: Blair would be the power running back who wears down the defense, while the bench is the scatback that appears extra fast in comparison and is better able to take advantage of a worn down defense. Even if the scatback's stats are much better than those of the power RB, a team wouldn't necessarily become better if they just went with the scatback full-time. In fact, they'd probably be worse.

Before I wrote out my thoughts and read these replies, I was pretty convinced that benching Blair was the right move ... but now I'm not sure. Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason why the Spurs play like a 1st seed with Blair starting and a lottery team when Blair doesn't start. Maybe it's just something as simple as early energy, like OV said.

Unless the coaching staff is 100% sure Blair starting has nothing to do with the bench's success, it'd be a risky move to take him out of the starting lineup. And since Blair can only do so much damage in his ~12 minutes as a starter, it might be safer to to keep him in the opening five.

I'm still not sure, though. :frying:

Bruno
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
And Boris should start instead of Blair just because he is a better player. I don't really think it is more complicate than that.

Blair should go in the doghouse. He is Spurs fifth best bigman. The only way he should get minutes in the playoffs is if Bonner failed again to deliver under the pressure. Blair should then be traded for whatever Spurs can get this summer.

DPG21920
04-09-2012, 04:55 PM
And Boris should start instead of Blair just because he is a better player. I don't really think it is more complicate than that.

Blair should go in the doghouse. He is Spurs fifth best bigman. The only way he should get minutes in the playoffs is if Bonner failed again to deliver under the pressure. Blair should then be traded for whatever Spurs can get this summer.

I agree, but everyone as Spurs fans seems to want to evaluate everything but forgets the most simple logic at times: Play your best players. Yes, the regular season guys like Blair and Bonner are useful, but it makes no sense to keep giving less talented players more minutes than more talented guys.

That only makes sense when there is a huge gap in attitude and hustle (like RJ was more talented, but didn't deserve more minutes and the team wasn't better off with him over Kawhi/Green), but in the case of Tiago/Diaw that isn't an issue.

Paranoid Pop
04-09-2012, 04:57 PM
The Spurs are as good as they are due to their bench. San Antonio's formula for success has been to have the starters hold it close and then for the bench to come in and blow it open.

With that in mind, it comes down to this:

Does DeJuan Blair starting have anything to do with the bench's success?

It sounds impossible at first ... but maybe there's something to it. When Blair is in, the Spurs pound it inside more than any other time in the game. They also run fewer pick-and-rolls when Blair is in the game. Once Blair is removed, the Spurs become a totally different team.

Does that change in identity have anything to do with the bench doing so well? It makes some sense because the type of defense needed to stop the Spurs when Blair is in the game is a totally different type of defense needed to stop the Spurs when Blair checks out.

To compare it to football: Blair would be the power running back who wears down the defense, while the bench is the scatback that appears extra fast in comparison and is better able to take advantage of a worn down defense. Even if the scatback's stats are much better than those of the power RB, a team wouldn't necessarily become better if they just went with the scatback full-time. In fact, they'd probably be worse.

Before I wrote out my thoughts and read these replies, I was pretty convinced that benching Blair was the right move ... but now I'm not sure. Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason why the Spurs play like a 1st seed with Blair starting and a lottery team when Blair doesn't start. Maybe it's just something as simple as early energy, like OV said.

Unless the coaching staff is 100% sure Blair starting has nothing to do with the bench's success, it'd be a risky move to take him out of the starting lineup. And since Blair can only do so much damage in his ~12 minutes as a starter, it might be safer to to keep him in the opening five.

I'm still not sure, though. :frying:

I don't even unterstand that, how did we look like a lottery team against the Jazz, the offense didn't suffer even one bit. PLus the bench won't matter as much in the PO.

jjktkk
04-09-2012, 04:57 PM
"Don't rock the apple cart".. no we're just giving it fancy rims and a new paint job. Oh, and a turbo booster.

The SpursTalk King of contradition posts in this thread. You bitch about Pop "tinkering" with the lineup, but you want Pop to tinker with the lineup, even though the Spurs are playing well. :wow

timvp
04-09-2012, 04:59 PM
I think you got it the wrong way. Blair got benched because he was fat.I've always understood it that Blair got depressed after getting benched and reacted by eating Whataburger for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I've gathered.

In this article, (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/05/13/pop%E2%80%99s-offseason-goal-discover-duncan%E2%80%99s-sidekick/) they said that Blair got fat was called out by Pop and lost 20lbs. I highly doubt all of that happened in the month and half between his benching and the end of the season.Gaining 20 pounds ain't nothing on an all Whataburger diet, tbh :smokin

jjktkk
04-09-2012, 05:00 PM
IMO, in the playoffs, Blair is on a short leash. If hes not producing, Pop needs to bench him. I say this even though Diaw is better overall player, and should be starting, but I doubt Pop will make any lineup changes this close to the playoffs.

ElNono
04-09-2012, 05:02 PM
The only thing I don't like about Diaw is that he's not an aggressive guy, which is something Blair does have, but sometimes goes overboard with it. As I pointed out "ceilings" on the Bonner/Blair discussion a while back, I think it applies here too. I don't think you'll see Diaw putting a 20/10 line, where Blair might.

Defensively, it's no contest. I'll take Diaw any day of the week, even though I would take Splitter before him.

timvp
04-09-2012, 05:02 PM
There is a way more logical explanation of these numbers.
When Blair doesn't start, he plays way more minutes alongside Bonner. These stats could be explained by the fact that Bonner struggles to play alongside Blair. It seems to be a more convincing explanation that teams struggling to adjust at Bonner monster offensive game.That would make sense ... but the stats say that theory is wrong.

Last year when Bonner and Blair were on the court at the same time, Bonner shot 48% on three-pointers.

TheSkeptic
04-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't even unterstand that, how did we look like a lottery team against the Jazz, the offense didn't suffer even one bit. PLus the bench won't matter as much in the PO.

Which is why the best players need to be playing period.

I love this team but the Spurs are only going as far as their big man rotation and while I appreciate hard work and hustle, I value height and talent more in the playoffs.

Leaving either one of Splitter/Diaw on the bench in favor of Blair/Bonner is just throwing good money after bad imo.

timvp
04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I agree, but everyone as Spurs fans seems to want to evaluate everything but forgets the most simple logic at times: Play your best players.

Eh, disagree. Being a Spurs fan should have taught you by now that "best fit" > "best player".

There were dozens of players better than Bowen in the league but very few of them would have allowed the Spurs to have had the same success as Bowen did. Same thing could be said about Horry.

Tbh, I hope Pop "rests" Blair a few more games down the stretch to see how the Spurs play without him. Last night the new starting lineup was decent but they hardly blew the doors off.

If it were my decision, I'd probably start Diaw full-time ... but I can't say that the Spurs would for sure be the better team.

2centsworth
04-09-2012, 05:19 PM
The bright side is that Blair does have talent and the potential
To be a really good player. Unfortunately for now he can't control
His appetite for burgers topped with baby back ribs.

Bruno
04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
That would make sense ... but the stats say that theory is wrong.

Last year when Bonner and Blair were on the court at the same time, Bonner shot 48% on three-pointers.

Well, then I would go with the fluke theory. I don't buy the theory that starting Blair makes the bench better because of a change of pace/playing style. That's too far fetched even more than Blair isn't a main peace of Spurs offense.

angelbelow
04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Eh, disagree. Being a Spurs fan should have taught you by now that "best fit" > "best player".

There were dozens of players better than Bowen in the league but very few of them would have allowed the Spurs to have had the same success as Bowen did. Same thing could be said about Horry.

When it comes to playing defense, who in the league was better than Bowen and could the Spurs have realistically acquired them? The answer is probably no one and no chance, so your example isn't relevant.

Besides, when I read DPG's comment I got the impression that he wants the Spurs to play their best players at their respective positions. I don't think hes talking about an all NBA-team situation.

rmt
04-09-2012, 05:24 PM

This. Spurs' chances of winning a championship are razor-thin with everything needing to go well (health, luck, etc.) - no need to be wasting precious minutes catering to Blair's ego when those few minutes could be the difference between winning and losing a playoff game.

Play the best players. Diaw and Splitter need more time to get used to playing longer minutes with their team mates. I hope it's not going to take Pop 3 whole playoff games to realize that Splitter/Diaw should be playing instead of Blair (like vs MEM).

therealtruth
The Spurs need to improve the defense fast and the easiest way is to get rid of the worst defenders. Not starting him is addition by subtraction. For all the offense he provides he gives up alot to the other power forward. For all the rebound he gets he turns over the ball too much.

Keepin' it real
Blair starting > Blair off the bench > Blair not playing (as several have suggested)

Tyrone Jenkins
04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
DeJuan Blair, despite the decrease in rebounding, still rebounds at a per min rate that is 2nd highest on the team and among the highest in the NBA.

timvp
04-09-2012, 05:31 PM
When it comes to playing defense, who in the league was better than Bowen and could the Spurs have realistically acquired them? The answer is probably no one and no chance, so your example isn't relevant. He said best player, not best defender. There were plenty of players who were "better" than Bowen by any measurement who wouldn't have made the Spurs a better team.

Best player is usually the way to go but not always.

DPG21920

Somewhat disagree and that severely undervalues just how good Bruce was on defense. When you talk about a limited player in the mold of Bruce, that's not the same as a Bonner or Blair because they are limited overall without doing something exceptionally well like Bruce. Also, it's not about league-wide, but dealing with what you have. Right now, there is not a gap in attitude or hustle between Blair and Tiago/Diaw, just talent.

Tbh, I hope Pop "rests" Blair a few more games down the stretch to see how the Spurs play without him. Last night the new starting lineup was decent but they hardly blew the doors off.

If it were my decision, I'd probably start Diaw full-time ... but I can't say that the Spurs would for sure be the better team.

I don't know if they would be a better team either, but I think it's more correlation vs causation with Blair in the starting line up and the success. By all accounts, Blair doesn't do anything better than anyone else we could plug in - based on what people find faults in others with regards to starting next to Tim & "fit".

I just don't see how they get worse by taking him out is my point. Even if they don't get better, I don't see how it can negatively impact the team even if Blair sulks, there are still Tiago/Bonner who are productive guys.

2centsworth
DeJuan Blair, despite the decrease in rebounding, still rebounds at a per min rate that is 2nd highest on the team and among the highest in the NBA.

Give me those numbers the last 11 games, which coincides with his run on hohos

DPG21920
04-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Mr. Randdddddddy Watsonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

MmP
04-09-2012, 05:43 PM
It's amazing that 20 or less game remaining in the season one of our biggest issues is whether or not start Blair, thank god we got Diaw and Splitter is becoming a good player. Having 2 or 3 legit options to a PF is huge

dylankerouac
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM
With Dejuan Blair starting at the very least the Spurs won't be playing like a bunch of wussies come playoffs if they get a tough match-up. I like Timvp's comparing DB to a power runner in the NFL, he wears down the other team and when you bring in your speedsters they have a better chance to break some ankles since the defense is more worn out for it. Teammates can also be invigorated by his play, he simply can't be ignored around the basket. We will also be asking Tim to do more work with Blair out of the starting lineup when the opposing team is fresh and he is 35. We could bring Tiago in but that is almost ridiculous this late in the season, you go with what works plain and simple and the statistics show the Blair works early in the game. He is almost like the quarterback with the unorthodox throw that still gets you wins. Or the quarterback that is shorter than the prototype and still manages to win big games (I won't go farther and say a Superbowl because Blair has not proven to be that type of player and I'm sure no one around here would call him clutch in offense or defense since he is only used at the start of games or quarters - I'm sure everyone including myself will argue his importance is also nowhere near that of an NFL QB, I'm simply trying to make a point).

The team does not have another power player to look to. If Spurs management wants to do something about it they will likely have to do it during the offseason. Heck they have already given the team two major upgrades with SJax and Mills. Yes we have Diaw too but the playoffs are a physical type of play, we'll be better with the one physical player we have wearing out teams at the beginning of the game.

dbestpro
04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
I often loathe the way Blair plays. Having said that I believe that he should start because no one does what he does better and that is fouling the opposing team.

You see the refs are gonna call a certain number of early fouls inside at someone. As long as Blair is on the floor he gets the whistle while it keeps Timmy from getting in foul trouble. Start Diaw or Splitter, and the calls may go against them or Duncan. I prefer Blair to be the one in early foul trouble.

roycrikside
04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
LJ, I think the important clarification that needs to be made isn't that this is an argument for starting Blair vs. bringing him off the bench.

Realistically, it's more like starting him vs. only playing him at the end of blowouts or in absolute emergencies.

Even though he's technically a starter, Blair is, for all intents and purposes, the fourth big. He's gonna play the first 6-8 minutes of each half and that's that.

If you split the difference and give Blair 14 mpg in the playoffs and Duncan 34 mpg, that leaves 48 minutes for the other three bigs, assuming no small ball. Divide that 48 by three and you've got 16 mpg for Tiago, Diaw and Bonner. Sounds good to me.

Even if you argue that Pop would never play Tim and Tiago together, that means 14 mpg for Splitter and 18 for either Bonner or Diaw.

I think if we remove Blair from the rotation entirely, you're pretty much guaranteeing that we'll have have 8-12 mpg of smallball, because it's not like Pop is gonna suddenly start giving Tiago 22 minutes (including a bunch with Tim) or play Diaw or Bonner over 20 mpg.

Mel_13
04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

I agree and believe that it really is that simple.

Before adding Diaw, a completely different situation existed. The team had to go through a condensed season with 4 bigs. All of them had to play significant minutes and using Blair as the starter next to Duncan certainly worked as part of the overall deployment of the 4 bigs.

Now you acquire a talented 9 year NBA vet with substantial playoff experience. It's just an obvious, low risk/high reward move to replace Blair with Diaw. Even if he does nothing but play the exact same minutes that Blair has filled, there's very little chance that he makes the team noticeably worse. On the contrary, the history of both players suggests a likelihood that Diaw fills Blair's minutes with substantially better performances. What's more, Diaw becomes an option to take any minutes that Bonner may have received in end of game situations.

It's just too obvious not to happen.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Interesting discussion.

My opinion is you have to continue to start Blair as long as the ship stays righted.

1) I an a big believer in if it ain't broke don't effing fix it.

2) I said this when we acquired Diaw.and lots of people went ape saying how now we can start him over Blair: what the hell does that do to team Morale if Pop removes a three year spur, who has started every game this season, hasn't been anything but positive attitude, knows the system, and we are winning games hand over fist while he starts? And to replace him with a player with no familiarity with the system, a newcomer, who is on a two month contract most likely?
and he just happens to be Parkers best friend?

I think it would cause stress in a team that (post Jefferson) seems as tight nit a group as you can find in the league.

My second point ties into the first.
If we were routinely getting punished by the Memphis, the NO, the jazz, and dropping games due to getting in early holes with Blair starting, then something is broken and we should try to fix it.

But so far so good, so I don't believe you fuck with that,.especially with only ten or so games to go.

3) the lakers games will have to be done kind of measuring stick for our current formula.

in fact, Pop could have rested Blair yesterday specially with the lakers games in mind. Maybe he wants to see what Blair, fresh, starting against the lakers can do.

4) I agree with obstructed view about early energy, and with timvp's running back change of pace analogy. there has to be some kind of intangible positive to Blair starting that is beyond numbers and had positively contributed to the teams success this season.

pgardn
04-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I think this has been implied but not stated directly:

The possibility that Blair may fall and crush an opponent forcing the opposition to use an early 20 second time out.

Actually, I like the junk baskets he can provide early in a game and get us off to a decent start offensively if we are missing. His D is unbelievably bad and he is not holding onto rebounds as well as he has in the past. Having a semi-beast rounds out a first unit that is not overly physical however.

Tough call.

Oh... and I like to hear him called The Dancing Bear, it makes me happy.

Paranoid Pop
04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Interesting discussion.

My opinion is you have to continue to start Blair as long as the ship stays righted.

1) I an a big believer in if it ain't broke don't effing fix it.

2) I said this when we acquired Diaw.and lots of people went ape saying how now we can start him over Blair: what the hell does that do to team Morale if Pop removes a three year spur, who has started every game this season, hasn't been anything but positive attitude, knows the system, and we are winning games hand over fist while he starts? And to replace him with a player with no familiarity with the system, a newcomer, who is on a two month contract most likely?
and he just happens to be Parkers best friend?

I think it would cause stress in a team that (post Jefferson) seems as tight nit a group as you can find in the league.

My second point ties into the first.
If we were routinely getting punished by the Memphis, the NO, the jazz, and dropping games due to getting in early holes with Blair starting, then something is broken and we should try to fix it.

But so far so good, so I don't believe you fuck with that,.especially with only ten or so games to go.

3) the lakers games will have to be done kind of measuring stick for our current formula.

in fact, Pop could have rested Blair yesterday specially with the lakers games in mind. Maybe he wants to see what Blair, fresh, starting against the lakers can do.

4) I agree with obstructed view about early energy, and with timvp's running back change of pace analogy. there has to be some kind of intangible positive to Blair starting that is beyond numbers and had positively contributed to the teams success this season.

We were winning with Jefferson, why trade him by your logic? Blair's defense ain't broke, it doesn't exists, he makes Ibaka look like the second coming of Nowitzki.

And lol at using the jazz, the zbo-less grizzs and the hornets as proof that Blair must start.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Because it was clearly obvious all season that Jefferson was causing problems with his minutes, and we received a proven player to replace him, as well a already had a young player that was showing mad potential,.and he could grow more without Jefferson.

The very fact that we are having this discussion proves that it is not plain as day that DeJuan is causing problems with his play

Cant_Be_Faded
04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I think its a disservice to Blair's contributions to compare his production to Jefferson's

angelbelow
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
He said best player, not best defender. There were plenty of players who were "better" than Bowen by any measurement who wouldn't have made the Spurs a better team.

Best player is usually the way to go but not always.

Yeah, but the best player on the team, not league wide. For the Spurs, Bowen was the better fit because he never overextended. But he was also the best player on our team at the SF position because of his defensive strengths.

The biggest downside to replacing Diaw with Blair right now is time. With so few games left, its hard to know if Diaw replacing Blair will work the way we envision (improved defense, offense, overall IQ on the floor etc). I think its worth the risk to try it though.. Diaw is clearly the better player and that theoretically makes him a better fit.

In a preseason interview, Blair said that Pop told him to be more mature and professional. Hopefully Blair took that advice to heart. However, I think fans are too hard on him for acting out last season. From Blair's perspective; he must know that he has limited time to earn a big contract and that he might have a short career. Don't get me wrong, being immature and letting your body go is absolutely the wrong way to handle that situation. But not every 20 year old is going to be mature enough to have that foresight. I think hes going to get benched in the playoffs - my hope is that Blair is more mature about it this time (probably the better career move for him anyway.)

acoelho1
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Who cares if Blair sulks? The west is loaded with talented bigs and Blair is not a starting PF or center for that matter. I wouldn't mind him so much if he was coming off the bench and getting very limited minutes. Splitter and Diaw should get the bulk of minutes with Bonner behind them. I really hope Blair is traded this off season. He has become the new RJ.

Solid D
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
There have been 53 games that Blair has started this season. The Spurs had the lead in 32 (60%) when the initial substitute came in for Blair. The other 40% of the times, the Spurs trailed in 19 (36%) and were tied in 2 (4%).

I post these statistics because some may believe that Blair starting the game gives them a good first burst before subbing him out. In those first stints, the Spurs are +57 which is an average of +1.075. Not much of an advantage.

Solid D
04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
For those of you who want to know where these stats came from, they were tabulated from the Play-By-Play of each game record. Here is the detail based on Game #, the Opponent, Score when 1st subbed-out, Ultimate outcome of the game, +/- when 1st subbed-out and running sub-totals every 10 games based on who had the lead at the time of Blair substitution:

Gm Opp. Score W-L +/- Running Sub-Total
1. Mem 23-24 W (-1)
2. LAC 27-17 W (+10)
3. Hou 10-21 L (-11)
4. Uta 15-8 W (+7)
5. Min 17-19 L (-2)
6. GS 13-12 W (+1)
7. Dal 23-8 W (+15)
8. Den 22-16 W (+6)
9. OKC 11-13 L (-2)
10. Mil 25-18 L (+7) (Sub-Total 6-4, +30)
11. Hou 8-11 W (-3)
12. Por 19-26 W (-7)
13. Phx 30-26 W (+4)
14. Mia 35-26 L (+9)
15. Orl 9-11 W (-2)
16. Sac 7-19 L (-12)
17. Hou 11-18 L (-7)
18. NOH 15-22 W (-7)
19. ATL 24-18 W (+6)
20. Min 16-13 L (+3) (Sub-Total 10-10, +14)
21. Dal 12-10 L (+2)
22. Mem 14-11 W (+3)
23. Hou 9-24 W (-15)
24. NOH 12-10 W (+2)
25. OKC 17-13 W (+4)
26. Mem 18-10 W (+8)
27. Phila 14-15 W (-1)
28. NJ 13-9 W (+4)
29. Det 12-12 W (0)
30. Tor 21-12 W (+9) (Sub-Total 17-12-1, +30)
31. LAC 8-15 W (-7)
32. Utah 10-14 W (-4)
33. Por 20-27 L (-7)
34. Den 13-6 W (+7)
35. Chi 16-13 L (+3)
36. Cha 21-16 W (+5)
37. Den 0-2 L (-2)
38. NYK 20-15 W (+5)
39. LAC 15-15 L (0)
40. Was 16-18 W (-2) (Sub-Total 21-17-2, +30)
41. Orl 4-6 W (-2)
42. OKC 16-12 W (+4)
43. Dal 12-20 L (-8)
44. Min 16-11 W (+5)
45. Dal 12-8 W (+4)
46. NOH 18-17 W (+1)
47. Phila 16-12 W (+4)
48. PHX 25-23 W (+2)
49. SAC 16-11 W (+5)
50. Ind 7-6 W (+1) (Sub-Total 29-19-2, +46)
51. Cle 14-13 W (+1)
52. Bos 21-18 W (+3)
53. NOH 23-16 W (+7) (Total 32-19-2, +57)

Dr. John R. Brinkley
04-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Blair doesn't rebound as well anymore.
Blair doesn't play good defense.
What exactly does Blair do that makes him special?

What does the team need? I would say defense. And if Diaw helps the defense, AND is a far superior passer and team player, then I don't see what the problem is. In fact, I think this is one of the easiest decisions to make.

If Blair was scoring in the post and still rebounding well, then that would be a more intriguing dilemma...but unfortunately he's not and so it's time to try other options.

In fact, one thing that the starting unit lacks that the second unit excels at is passing. By putting Diaw in the starting lineup, in theory, the first team should improve. I'm not so sure that Blair is actually beating up and wearing down the other team's front line.

Blair occasionally has a brilliant, near hallucinogenic game once or twice a year, but I'm not sure it's worth starting him in the hopes that he breaks out.

Anyway, it would be great for him to do well, and I think most fans appreciate him, but it's a convoluted, overthought argument to keep him starting.

SenorSpur
04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Mr. Randdddddddy Watsonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

That boy can sing!

Spursfanfromafar
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
For those of you who want to know where these stats came from, they were tabulated from the Play-By-Play of each game record. Here is the detail based on Game #, the Opponent, Score when 1st subbed-out, Ultimate outcome of the game, +/- when 1st subbed-out and running sub-totals every 10 games based on who had the lead at the time of Blair substitution:

Awesome work. Thanks!

therealtruth
04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Most teams start their best two-way players. It's really that simple. The only time you might make an exception is if you have unbalanced roster. Blair's not even in the top 8 or 9 players. There's no reason for him to be starting.

ElNono
04-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Any added thoughts after this Utah game? I think Blair can still be more effective than Diaw on certain matchups. When he's allowed to be aggressive, he can be much more assertive.

Manu-of-steel
04-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Any added thoughts after this Utah game? I think Blair can still be more effective than Diaw on certain matchups. When he's allowed to be aggressive, he can be much more assertive.

Diaw is a poorer rebounder compared to Blair.

Seventyniner
04-09-2012, 11:19 PM

I'd still start Diaw, because he's a better defender and his passing makes up for his relative lack of offense.

However, it's been pretty well established in this thread that starting Diaw in place of Blair would likely relegate Blair to #5 big status, and that's a double-edged sword.

Solid D
04-10-2012, 05:52 PM
53. NOH 23-16 W (+7) (Total 32-19-2, +57)

Updated
54. UTA 19-21 L (-2) (Total 32-20-2, +55)

There have been 54 games that Blair has started this season. The Spurs had the lead in 32 (59.2%) when the initial substitute came in for Blair. The other 39% of the times, the Spurs trailed in 20 (37%) and were tied in 2 (3.8%).

I post these statistics because some may believe that Blair starting the game gives them a good first burst before subbing him out. In those first stints, the Spurs are +55 which is an average of +1.018. Not much of an advantage.

Corrected

DMC
04-10-2012, 10:53 PM
What a lot of people are forgetting about last season is that almost every >.500 team we faced early on had their stars out due to injuries. Of course Bonner could go off on struggling teams. Once these starters got back into the swing of it, the Spurs began to struggle. Duncan injured his ankle and we had a tough stretch.

It's counter-intuitive to think Blair should start at center. The only reason I could defend it would be to allow him to absorb fouls early on shitty FT shooting bigs, but that's about it.

He makes too many boneheaded moves. Sure he's a good cleanup guy, but to successfully incorporate him into the post season offense, he has to be more than that. He cannot shoot, he's got decent moves under the rim but not as good as Tiago. He cannot step out and shoot the three like Bonner, and his defense is sub-standard. I wouldn't look too hard at Bonner's shooting percentage as an indicator that Blair should be on the floor with him. Those two on the floor together seems to be the bane of the Spurs' existence. So what Bonner shoots a higher percentage. Bonner's 3pt shooting is really only meaningful in the 1st and 2nd quarters. We'll take what we can get, but he folds at the slightest hint of pressure.

No, we won't be playing like a bunch of wussies, we will be turning the ball over and watching Blair slam the ball off the backboard from 10' out.

Blair should play with Manu, and if Manu comes off the bench, so should Blair. Manu can get Blair open looks. That's a good pairing.

Spurs da champs
04-10-2012, 11:04 PM
The Spurs looked so much better with Diaw starting.

Should Pop bench Blair and he sulks then screw him. The team comes first.

Agreed.
I'd say us winning so much with Blair as starter is just coincidence, Pop made the right move if he does stick with Diaw.

TJastal
04-11-2012, 12:49 AM
There have been 53 games that Blair has started this season. The Spurs had the lead in 32 (60%) when the initial substitute came in for Blair. The other 40% of the times, the Spurs trailed in 19 (36%) and were tied in 2 (4%).

I post these statistics because some may believe that Blair starting the game gives them a good first burst before subbing him out. In those first stints, the Spurs are +57 which is an average of +1.075. Not much of an advantage.

But he gives the team.. um..err.. something!

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Most teams start their best two-way players. It's really that simple. The only time you might make an exception is if you have unbalanced roster. Blair's not even in the top 8 or 9 players. There's no reason for him to be starting.

Exactly. Blair would be a luxury to have as an energy big off the bench but if he goes back to drowning his sorrows in food there are better players who should be taking his minutes anyway. The Spurs don't lose out by playing someone better ahead of him.

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Why can't Pop try starting Tiago at PF. He's even tried Diaw now. Diaw comes off the bench as center with Bonner.

Capt Bringdown
04-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Why put too fine a point on it? Blair simply sucks. His presence on the court makes it easier for our opponents to beat us. Blair is a horrible miscalculation on Pop's part, similar to his bush-league plan to replace Horry with Bonner.

pad300
04-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Updated
54. UTA 19-21 L (-2) (Total 32-20-2, +55)

Corrected

If you're trying to do serious stats analysis, I would strongly recommended simply dropping the Utah and Portland games from the analysis (that Pop rested the big 3 for)... It's debatable that they can be considered a part of the same population.

Which I think would make your summary
32-18-2, +64

timvp
04-11-2012, 11:30 AM

I don't think Blair did anything to change things but it's noteworthy that Diaw didn't exactly take advantage of his opportunity to start two games.

Back in 2005, Nazr Mohammed was acquired late in the season and didn't start his first game until April 10th. However, when Mohammed was given a chance, he played so well that it was impossible for Pop to ignore. Diaw got his first start on April 8th but the similarities end there.

Nazr Mohammed's first two games as a starter
29 points
29 rebounds
6 blocks
1 assist
0 turnovers
8 fouls

Boris Diaw's first two games as a starter
14 points
4 rebounds
1 block
2 assists
3 turnovers
10 fouls

It would have been great if Diaw took this opportunity and proved to be a big upgrade from Blair ... but he didn't even come close to doing that.

DAF86
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Tonight's game could be the one that determines what direction Pop decides to go with this.

Paranoid Pop
04-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Tonight's game could be the one that determines what direction Pop decides to go with this.

Tonight and tomorrow.

Pau Gasol is playig really well right now we'll see who guards him.

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 04:00 PM
I think a loss in this game could be more useful in the long run if the Lakers dominate us on the inside and Pop overreacts and starts Tiago.

Solid D
04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
If you're trying to do serious stats analysis, I would strongly recommended simply dropping the Utah and Portland games from the analysis (that Pop rested the big 3 for)... It's debatable that they can be considered a part of the same population.

Which I think would make your summary
32-18-2, +64

I thought about that, even before posting it initially. However, this site is purely for entertainment and community. It's a fair point and thanks for updating the stats, pad300.

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Why put too fine a point on it? Blair simply sucks. His presence on the court makes it easier for our opponents to beat us. Blair is a horrible miscalculation on Pop's part, similar to his bush-league plan to replace Horry with Bonner.

:lol That about sums it up.

It's interesting though because in the 48 Minutes of Hell comments you'll see a lot of people who think the opposite and are convinced that Blair is one of our top bigs.

I think a loss in this game could be more useful in the long run if the Lakers dominate us on the inside and Pop overreacts and starts Tiago.

That would be nice but the more I think about it the more convinced I am that Pop just didn't think Tiago would be this good when he made his rotations earlier this season.

I don't think he's going to change anything until the team's backs are against the wall. Personally, I hope it works out because anything less than a championship is a failure in my opinion.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, this is solved.

He sucks.

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM

I pretty much called it. It will be interesting to see how Pop reacts in the next game.

DAF86
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Blair seems like a very cool guy but he can't keep getting minutes with this team, sorry. He's just too damn short.

DAF86
04-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I pretty much called it. It will be interesting to see how Pop reacts in the next game.

He won't start Splitter, if we're lucky Diaw will be starting tomorrow.

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
He is a But Kicking Power Forward... and He is a much more skilled player than Splitter(he is a worker) or Diaw(point guard or front court? make up your mind fatty...)

Non Issue

Now I know you're a troll.

mexicanjunior
04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
It's no longer a conundrum...Blair is a 5-10 minute spot player at best. If Splitter, or at least Diaw, isn't starting by the playoffs, might as well get ready for the draft.

tbh, Blair should be in the D-League.

Spurs7794
04-11-2012, 09:40 PM
He won't start Splitter, if we're lucky Diaw will be starting tomorrow.

The problem with this is that he should have started Splitter from the beginning of the season. If he makes a panic move like he did last year when Bynum dominated us, the team is going to lose all of their confidence. son

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
The problem with this is that he should have started Splitter from the beginning of the season. If he makes a panic move like he did last year when Bynum dominated us, the team is going to lose all of their confidence. son

...I think you mean *last* season. He should've been starting since he first got here last year.

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 11:28 PM

It should help their confidence. They will know they are going into games with a legit seven footer and not a 6'5 midget center that can't defend.

DMC
04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Obstructed_View probably couldn't see the game so he doesn't know we lost. Probably thinks Blair dominated on the boards and heard the cheering and figured it was for the Spurs. Probably assembling a novel about it now, talking about how Blair > Howard.

TJastal
04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree with the folks who are saying Pop can't swap Blair out now, it's just too damn late in the year and he'll just look like a complete imbecile for doing so.

It's going on 2 years too late now for Splitter, and it's now two weeks too late with Diaw.

Stubborn idiot made his bed now lie in it.

elemento
04-12-2012, 11:15 AM
what's funny is that Blair came to the league as a beast that dominated the boards. In his first year he had some nasty games rebounding and i would never think this would be a problem for him.
Now he completely sucks rebounding. I mean WTF ? And it's not like it's just happens against Bynum because of his size. It happens all the time now.

BRs.Ganso
04-12-2012, 11:35 AM
any center with more than 6-9 can crap over Blair's defense.

DesignatedT
04-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Blair is the worst "big" on the team. He has no business starting. I dgaf about the ramifications. He shouldn't be here next year anyway.

hater
04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't see how someone can say Blair is worst than Bonner. They are both fucking awful. Difference is Blair plays vs. opponent starters and Bonner plays vs. opponent scrubs. Yeah, Bonner looks a bit better out there but truth is they both get schooled.

Keepin' it real
04-12-2012, 11:44 AM
any center with more than 6-9 can crap over Blair's defense.

A center taller than 6 foot 9 should be able to crap over ANY defender who is only 6 foot 5.

The problem is that Blair is not tall enough to play as an NBA center, but he is being forced to play that position. The fault is not with Blair. So don't get mad at him, get mad at the person playing him out of position.

DesignatedT
04-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't see how someone can say Blair is worst than Bonner. They are both fucking awful. Difference is Blair plays vs. opponent starters and Bonner plays vs. opponent scrubs. Yeah, Bonner looks a bit better out there but truth is they both get schooled.

I wish both of them were gone but If I had to choose I take Bonner over Blair every day of the week. First, the +/- #s don't lie and while I'm not a huge fan of them, you can't just ignore it. 2nd, Bonner is just as good of a defender if not better than Blair.

Of course they are both regular season players and have no business playing heavy minutes on a playoff team but those are the cards we were dealt.

"Bonner plays against 2nd units" That's also false seeing that Pop has closed out numerous games with Bonner this season.

DesignatedT
04-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Blair doesn't even bring rebounding anymore. He's overweight and useless. He brings about 3 minutes of energy for the game and then he's tired.

Spurs Brazil
04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
A lot of us here know Blair is a huge liability. Lakers and Memphis game just show that. Blair would not be playing any minutes in 23-25 teams in the league. I really hope Pop wake up, start Diaw (Tiago would be ask too much) and give Blair the towel and a bunch of DNP

MaNu4Tres
04-12-2012, 08:56 PM
:pctoss

6 minutes for Splitter in the first half.

If this is a sign for things to come in the playoffs, this team won't go anywhere.

TheSkeptic
04-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah. I think maybe Holt needs to give Pop an ultimatum of some sort. If his job was actually on the line I don't think he'd be playing Russian Roulette with Bonner/Blair when Splitter's better and available.

Spurs Brazil
04-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I really hope today was the end of Blair era.

Diaw started the 2nd half, Blair didn't see any minutes.

Start Diaw for now on

urunobili
04-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Start Diaw for now on

:tu

MmP
04-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I'd make a whole new thread for this but it's old story:

I just don't know what the hell was Bonner doing last 4 minutes of grizz game. I just don't.

What did he bring more than Tiago? Did he even shoot? Useless. Manu + Tiago screened worked to perfection why change it?

Kuestmaster
04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Start Diaw, Tiago or even Bonner. But I don't want to see Blair in the playoffs. He's useless

DesignatedT
04-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Tiago and Bonner have themselves a nice little chemistry together. They really do. Tiago is the best P&R big on the team and when he runs it with Manu and Bonner is open on that wing it's pretty unstoppable.

I would start Diaw.

Josepatches_
04-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Start Diaw for now on

Bad news is while Blair didn't play in the second half Splitter only played 12:53 in the game.

playblair
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
BLAIR haters :lol..................