PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King - Dark Tower

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Other than 11/22/63, I haven't finished a Stephen King book in years. I liked most of his early stuff (Cujo, Christine, The Stand, Firestarter, Different Seasons, etc.) but at some point (mid 90's or so), I couldn't get through one of his books. Not sure if he ran out of interesting ideas or if my tastes changed. But I found myself being overly critical of his writing while I was reading his books.

When Dark Tower came out, I got about halfway through the first book when it came out but put it down for some reason. Tried to pick it up again but hate restarting a book so I never finished it. Anybody still reading this series? What's the general consensus? Good books? Or waste of time? I'm thinking of restarting the first book and reading the series to date.

leemajors
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I liked the ending, but I think I am in the minority.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I liked the ending, but I think I am in the minority.

Wait...what? I just got an email saying they were releasing another one, The Wind Through The Keyhole, on April 24. It's what made me start thinking about reading them.

leemajors
04-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Wait...what? I just got an email saying they were releasing another one, The Wind Through The Keyhole, on April 24. It's what made me start thinking about reading them.

He is going back and adding to the Mid World part, I think it is a story about Roland and Cuthbert.

CubanMustGo
04-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I enjoyed the series, but it was actually an advantage to read these while he was in the process of writing them, so you weren't staring at 3-4000 pages before getting to the ultimate payoff.

I found the ending intriguing but there were many who were unhappy with it.

Info on Wind thru the Keyhole (already out in limited edition): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower:_The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole

leemajors
04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
started out good, ended up lame

poor execution by the mcdonalds of literature

he's not J.K. Rowling or Stephanie Meyer

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 01:42 PM
started out good, ended up lame

poor execution by the mcdonalds of literature

says the Taco Bell of posters

VBM
04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Read the whole series this past year over the span of a couple months. I liked it mostly for the references to the other King books (IT is still my favorite King novel, so it was nice when references were made to that book). The Gunslinger is kind of slow, but it picks up after that.

As for the ending, I thought it worked.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Good series, but after the fourth book you will definitely notice the effects of his nearly fatal accident and it wasn't good.

There is a lot of good in the final 3 books, but a lot of bad , as well. I did not really enjoy the ending but I would like to go back and revisit the entire series so I can judge again.

I do think Wizard and Glass was his best of the series so I hope this next book is able to capture that.

Spurminator
04-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I quit after the second book. It just seemed like he was making shit up as he went.

DarkReign
04-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Havent got to the ending. Read the first 6 books in quick succession before the 7th was written. Havent read the 7th yet, for some damn reason. Its gets...goofy in the 6th novel, but it works.

VBM
04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
I quit after the second book. It just seemed like he was making shit up as he went.

While I liked the series, I agree (and it's more prominent as the series goes on).

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Good series, but after the fourth book you will definitely notice the effects of his nearly fatal accident and it wasn't good.

There is a lot of good in the final 3 books, but a lot of bad , as well. I did not really enjoy the ending but I would like to go back and revisit the entire series so I can judge again.

I do think Wizard and Glass was his best of the series so I hope this next book is able to capture that.

That's interesting. I've never really looked to see any connection between his writing and the accident. Do you think it's from some kind of physical damage to his brain. Or is it because of the psychological effect of going through something like that?

MannyIsGod
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Psychological effects and I promise you that if you get that far in the series you will not miss it. It is impossible.

leemajors
04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Read the whole series this past year over the span of a couple months. I liked it mostly for the references to the other King books (IT is still my favorite King novel, so it was nice when references were made to that book). The Gunslinger is kind of slow, but it picks up after that.

As for the ending, I thought it worked.

I think it's kinda the other way around, everything else ties in to the Dark Tower as far as that goes. I was kinda disappointed Jack from the Talisman never popped up directly in the Dark Tower. Insomnia also had some cool Dark Tower stuff in it.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Psychological effects and I promise you that if you get that far in the series you will not miss it. It is impossible.

I'm probably going to give it a shot. I'm almost through with American Gods which I was sure I'd read but for some reason never did. But I'm kind of in fantasy mode now. My guess is that it'll be a letdown from AG though.

VBM
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I think it's kinda the other way around, everything else ties in to the Dark Tower as far as that goes. I was kinda disappointed Jack from the Talisman never popped up directly in the Dark Tower. Insomnia also had some cool Dark Tower stuff in it.

I guess that's true (although I read IT, Salem's Lot, Insomnia, Desperation and many other books before I cracked open the Tower series). That's why I view it that way.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2012, 02:01 PM
American Gods was a better book, but its hard to compare one book to 7 books in a series. Wizard and Glass vs American Gods is close for me, but I probably go with American Gods.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
American Gods was a better book, but its hard to compare one book to 7 books in a series. Wizard and Glass vs American Gods is close for me, but I probably go with American Gods.

Anything else along those lines you'd put ahead of tackling Dark Tower?

MannyIsGod
04-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Just the Stand.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Just the Stand.

Was actually thinking it might be interesting to revisit. It's been over 20 years since I read it the first time. But something I'll probably never get around to.

VBM
04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Was actually thinking it might be interesting to revisit. It's been over 20 years since I read it the first time. But something I'll probably never get around to.

Probably a dumb question, but have you read IT?

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Probably a dumb question, but have you read IT?

Oh yeah. I loved it. There were some parts early in the book that freaked me out. The paper boat going into the drain. Or when he was describing walking down the stairs into the basement. Subconsciously I still think about it when I'm reaching for a lightswitch in the dark. I thought the ending was a little wild. But still one of my favorite King books. Really wished they hadn't made the TV movie.

leemajors
04-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I liked the Talisman quite a lot.

Manny, I used to think it was just the accident too, but he may have pinched that kind of thing from Peter Straub, they are really good friends and Straub likes to put himself in his books. Just a thought after reading a lot of Straub recently, or seeing Straub do it planted a seed in his mind. The Blue Rose "trilogy" is pretty damn good.

VBM
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Oh yeah. I loved it. There were some parts early in the book that freaked me out. The paper boat going into the drain. Or when he was describing walking down the stairs into the basement. Subconsciously I still think about it when I'm reaching for a lightswitch in the dark. I thought the ending was a little wild. But still one of my favorite King books. Really wished they hadn't made the TV movie.

A few weeks ago we reported that Warner Brothers was going to remake Stephen King's It, or better put, re-adapt it for the big screen. The news garnered quite a response in the comments, most of which supported the idea, some of which didn't. Although the original 1990 version of It was creepy as hell, it was still a made-for-TV film, and therefore edited for content. But if one thing is for certain, this time around, It will be as R-rated as "it" can get (pun intended). The horror site Dread Central got a note from screenwriter David Kajganich, briefly explaining his plans to adapt the 1104-page novel into one feature film.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/writer-promises-stephen-kings-it-remake-will-be-r-rated/

Sigh...three years since that article and no mention of a remake.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/writer-promises-stephen-kings-it-remake-will-be-r-rated/

Sigh...three years since that article and no mention of a remake.

Interesting. Although I'd hate for them to go crazy with special effects and lose sight of what really makes the book creepy.

Also regarding American Gods, I saw where they are going to make it a series planned for HBO. Which could either be good or a complete disaster.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Two other great books that fit into this conversation are Clive Barker's, "The Great and Secret Show", and "Everville".

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 03:06 PM
i am not thispego

and taco bell is better than pieces of shit, fwiw

Wait...are you saying that Taco Bell is better than McDonald's?

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Are you saying that you are the McDonald's of posters?

No. I think I'm the Outback of posters. Somewhere around there maybe.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 03:20 PM
But now I'm off topic. I thought you were saying Taco Bell is better than McDonald's.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd drink a Foster's about now

Your boyfriend?

hater
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
But now I'm off topic. I thought you were saying Taco Bell is better than McDonald's.

I hadn't had taco bell for years until last nite. Got the loco taco doritos flavor. Pretty damn good.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Somehow I thought you said that before my Outback comment.

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Is Foster a first name?

Foster Grant

cantthinkofanything
Foster D. People

cantthinkofanything
Foster Pussycat

cantthinkofanything
04-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Foster Dan Speedingbullet

z0sa
04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I just reread the stand on ym kindle - the uncut version from 1990. Very, very long, but incredibly good and entertaining. If you've never read the extended edition, you should, as it really fleshes out all the characters to the extent King originally imagined.

As for the Dark Tower, I picked up the Gunslinger just this week and am working my way through it. I've read it and Drawing of the Three before but I was only 13 or 14 and didn't get/remember a quarter of it. My mom read through til Wizard and Glass and loved it but hasn't picked up the new ones quite yet.

A note if you're completely new to the Dark Tower - in the new versions (post 2003 I wanna say), King has touched and revised and edited a few things to help the continuity as well as speed things up. I definitely noticed it thus far.

The TroutBum
04-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I read the series at least once a year for the last couple. I started The Gunslinger maybe 20 years ago and didn't even make it half-way; hated it. Picked it up on a whim a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. Easily the best series I've ever read, and I probably read 3 to 4 books a month on average. (actually listen to them while at work -- I got through The Stand in a week) LOVED the ending, it was almost too perfect. Unfortunately (for my wife, mostly) whenever I'm reading books 3 through 7, I pick up the dialect and slang from the books and use it in everyday life. Pretty pathetic, I know, but I can't help it. My kids pick it up too. So sad, but still so cool.

vander
04-14-2012, 07:38 PM
I just reread the stand on ym kindle - the uncut version from 1990. Very, very long, but incredibly good and entertaining. If you've never read the extended edition, you should, as it really fleshes out all the characters to the extent King originally imagined.

I recently finished the Stand too, and was severely disappointed, there was no story/plot to speak of, the consequences of the actions of most of the characters were mostly meaningless. you can sum up the book in one or two sentences.

King does two things well (IMO, from the 3 King Books I've read: the Stand, It, and 11/12/63) he can paint a vivid picture (create a memorable scene) and create interesting and lovable characters, but he can't tell a good story.