PDA

View Full Version : No Kobe tomorrow vs Lakers

ace3g
04-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Mike Bresnahan ‏ @Mike_Bresnahan

Kobe is not playing tomorrow night vs San Antonio, Lakers Coach Mike Brown told reporters. That'll be 3 missed games with sore left shin.

Mel_13
04-10-2012, 03:23 PM
CIA Brown pulling the classic Pop tactic. No lose situation for the Lakers.

04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
good, the lakers front court can play at full strength and we will see how the spurs' front court defense looks.

Dex
04-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Whatever. I don't care about moral victories or benchmarks right now. Anything that puts the Lakers further behind the Spurs and gets them magic numbers is fine by me (provided the Spurs can take care of business).

VBM
04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Spurs are fucked...Lakers will be forced to used their bigs.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2012, 03:31 PM
If I'm a Laker fan, I'm pretty happy about that. They're going to let the rest of the team get some momentum without Kobe Ballhog taking 30 shots a game, then they can plug him back in once he's feeling better for a playoff run. Either the Lakers are dangerous enough to beat anyone regardless of their seed or they have no chance of winning a title.

manufan10
04-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Man, I was really looking forward to seeing Leonard defending Kobe. Now I have to wait a little longer. :depressed

T Park
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Sit Duncan.

Play him bigger minutes vs Memphis.

Let Splitter Diaw and Blair have big minutes.

F the result.

roycrikside
04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Spurs are fucked...Lakers will be forced to used their bigs.

While I don't quite agree that the Spurs are fucked, tihs will make it a tougher game for them to win, tbh. Now they'll dump it inside to one of their two bigs on every play.

Kobe actually gave the Spurs defense some breathing room, knowing he's going to score 30 pts on 27 FGA. Now they'll be more efficient. Really, Kobe's biggest asset against Spurs was as a defender against Manu.

SA will need their bench to come up huge while Gasol & Bynum are sitting.

Spurtacus
04-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Damn. I was looking forward to seeing Kawhi hassling him and forcing a 7-20 shooting game.

therealtruth
04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
I bet Bynum and Gasol's numbers are bigger without Kobe. It will be a good test to see if we can defend good frontlines.

George Gervin's Afro
04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
A win is a win.. We need to kick them early so we can rest for the Memphis game

Splits
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
CIA Brown pulling the classic Pop tactic. No lose situation for the Lakers.

Except that Brown is televising his move more than 24 hours ahead of time whereas Pop waits until the last minute. At least we can gameplan definitively.

Mel_13
04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Except that Brown is televising his move more than 24 hours ahead of time whereas Pop waits until the last minute. At least we can gameplan definitively.

the student has a long way to go before he surpasses the teacher.

ViceCity84
04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
This helps the Lakers.
Bynum will kill Splitter.
Did anyone notice how terrible Duncan look last year vs Andrew Bynum and Lakers.He was awful.

George Gervin's Afro
04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I am interested to see how we play Sessions..

Manu-20
04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
This is good news we will get to see how the spurs fair against the froncourt of the lakers

DesignatedT
04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
It's very possible that in the 3 games vs the Lakers coming up both teams won't be at full strength the whole time.

timvp
04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
The bad part about Kobe missing the game is it basically turns this into a must win game. If the Spurs lose to the Lakers without Kobe, that would shake the team's confidence and make L.A. really believe they can beat the Spurs.

Plus, the Spurs have a history of going into regular season tailspins after losing against the Lakers. Even last year, the Spurs season started going down the drain shortly after the Lakers came to San Antonio and curbstomped the Spurs.

DesignatedT
04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't necessarily think it's that big of a deal if the Spurs lose seeing that they play them 2 more times this week. As long as they don't lose all 3 or both at home these games really shouldn't mean much to either team.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-10-2012, 04:41 PM
The bad part about Kobe missing the game is it basically turns this into a must win game. If the Spurs lose to the Lakers without Kobe, that would shake the team's confidence and make L.A. really believe they can beat the Spurs.

And historically, the Spurs have a history of going into regular season tailspins after losing against the Lakers. Even last year, the Spurs season starting going down the drain shortly after the Lakers came to San Antonio and curbstomped the Spurs.

Somebody buy this man a beer.

Robz4000
04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Not sure why everyone thinks this is gonna be bad. Considering they couldn't get it done against Phoenix (who is smaller than the Spurs) with Pau and Bynum having monster games, I see no reason to worry. It's looking like the real reason they lose is due to the bench being so bad, not Kobe taking 30 shots a game.

Bruno
04-10-2012, 04:43 PM
This is a relatively good news for Spurs.

The negative aspect is that it will give Leonard one less game to learn Kobe's game.

I see three positive points of Kobe being out.
First, it will put more pressure on Spurs frontcourt because Lakers will feed more their bigs. How Spurs frontcourt will hold against the Gasol/Bynum frontcourt is a big key a future playoff series. I can even see Spurs adding a random 7 footer if things goes bad.
Second, a Spurs win, that will be easier to achieve with Kobe out, will basically secure a top 2 seed for Spurs. The magic number for the 2nd seed will be 3 if they win tomorrow.
Third, with a loss Lakers will have a more difficult time at getting the 3rd seed. Lakers and Thunder being on the other side of the bracket will be huge for Spurs.

Mugen
04-10-2012, 04:44 PM

And historically, the Spurs have a history of going into regular season tailspins after losing against the Lakers. Even last year, the Spurs season starting going down the drain shortly after the Lakers came to San Antonio and curbstomped the Spurs.

Good. Finally, a must win game.

slick'81
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
bynum and gasol meet diaw,bonner and blair

DesignatedT
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Right now I think I'd rather play LAL than MEM in the playoffs. Of course ideally LAC would grab the 3 seed.

roycrikside
04-10-2012, 04:48 PM

They shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Spurs bench >>>> Lakers bench, Pop >>>>> Brown, and the big three will all have had two days off.

Unless Gasol and Bynum play 48 mins each, it shouldn't be a chore to beat these guys. They barely beat the Hornets.

Mugen
04-10-2012, 04:49 PM
timvp, would you sit any of the Big 3 in preparation for Memphis?

roycrikside
04-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Right now I think I'd rather play LAL than MEM in the playoffs. Of course ideally LAC would grab the 3 seed.

Ideally, Spurs 1, Memphis 3 and Lakers 6. I can see the Lakers sliding a bit if Kobe is gonna be out for a while.

loveforthegame
Obviously you want to play them at full strength but with Kobe out they will force feed the bigs so it will be a good test for our guys.

Mal
non - issue. Kobe cant do harm to Spurs. It all depends on theirs bigs. In this situation they will have more chances to do harm, and to challenge Spurs` bigs. Should be interesting

Mal
04-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Ideally, Spurs 1, Memphis 3 and Lakers 6. I can see the Lakers sliding a bit if Kobe is gonna be out for a while.

4th LAC, 8th Utah/PHX

timvp
04-10-2012, 04:54 PM
timvp, would you sit any of the Big 3 in preparation for Memphis?

Nah, they already got their rest and the Lakers game is more of a must-win, IMO. The Grizzlies game is a back-to-back but both games are at home so it's easier than a typical back-to-back.

The hope is to blow the Kobe-less Lakers out of the water and then have a full roster against the Grizzlies.

timvp
04-10-2012, 04:56 PM
My ultimate dream of bracket would have the Thunder, Lakers, Grizzlies and Mavs on the other side. It would take some luck but it's actually not that far-fetched, tbh.

Mugen
04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Nah, they already got their rest and the Lakers game is more of a must-win, IMO. The Grizzlies game is a back-to-back but both games are at home so it's easier than a typical back-to-back.

The hope is to blow the Kobe-less Lakers out of the water and then have a full roster against the Grizzlies.

Thanks.

I think they blow LA out tomorrow but that Grizzlies game is going to be extremely tough.

The Lakers D has been atrocious since the Sessions trade. World Peace has been playing better and Gasol/Bynum have been good but was pretty confident the Spurs would handle them with/without Kobe tomorrow.

Mugen
04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
My ultimate dream of bracket would have the Thunder, Lakers, Grizzlies and Mavs on the other side. It would take some luck but it's actually not that far-fetched, tbh.

I don't see the Spurs moving to 1st with OKC's remaining schedule and Pop resting guys before the POs.

But Memphis at 3, LA at 6, and DAL at 7 is definitely possible.

Spurtacus
04-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Quite possible with the exception of the Thunder. I think the easiest road to the Finals for the #2 Spurs is #7 Suns, #3 Clippers, #1 Thunder.

DPG21920
04-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Okc is a lock, grizz are highly likely to be 4 or 5th seed, assuming the Spurs are 2(highly likely) That really leaves LA only to worry about and getting them 3 times could help. Not far fetched.

Dallas I would like to avoid but the first three are critical, not Dallas.

DPG21920
04-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Ideal (can vary some)

Okc
SA
Lac
La
MEM
Den
Hou/Utah
Dallas

Biernutz
04-10-2012, 05:20 PM
The loss of Kobe playing will not make me that sad. I get to watch the t-shirt Laker fan who bought lower level seats for $400 each to watch the bench play. Screwed by their own team. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHH

Keepin' it real
04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Maybe Pop will rest the entire team, and he will play a game of CAT against Mike Brown ... Winner take all.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Ideal:

OKC
SA
LAL
MEM
LAC
HOU
DAL
UTAH

therealtruth
04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Since Pop's been in experimenting mode this would be a good game to try our twin towers against theirs.

pgardn
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
If either team really feels a psychological advantage or let down after this game they need to hire some guts to put in their cranium.

For me its disappointing for one reason. We dont get to see Leonard on Kobe, or green or Jackson.

Still of interest will be Parker against Sessions. The rest it the same old stuff. And we play them two more times. Not a biggie. Parker should be able to blow by Sessions.

jestersmash
04-10-2012, 06:12 PM
If either team really feels a psychological advantage or let down after this game they need to hire some guts to put in their cranium.

For me its disappointing for one reason. We dont get to see Leonard on Kobe, or green or Jackson.

Still of interest will be Parker against Sessions. The rest it the same old stuff. And we play them two more times. Not a biggie. Parker should be able to blow by Sessions.

That's my vote for most awkward sentence posted on Spurstalk all year.

TE
04-10-2012, 06:33 PM
As long as he plays the other two games tbh. Timvp is right though about this being a must win game. I actually think the Lakers are a more fluid offense without Kobe so this is going to be a test on the defensive side. Offensively, it's going to be interesting to see how the front court fairs against the Laker bigs. Also, I fully expect various bench players to play better this game compared to the performance in the Jazz game (cough cough Stephen Jackson).

JRHernandez88
04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Good thing I bought tickets for the 20th. :D

Gona be there in full troll mode too.:troll

siraulo23
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
ST meltdown if spurs lose to the lakers

"F pop for killing the team's momentum", "non contender" etc...

Budkin
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Playoffs are all that matter.

Splits
04-11-2012, 12:02 AM
My only worry about this game is that we're up 40 or so in the 3rd and Brown is forced to play his bench and stumbles upon dudes who can actually play, making the Lakers a better team. Because as they stand, with or without Kobe, they suck and aren't getting out of the first round.

DesignatedT
04-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Ideally, yes the Spurs 1 but I don't really see that happening. We don't care enough about it.

Fireball
04-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Where is the fun in beating the Lakers without Kobe? And they will go to Bynum/Gasol a lot ...

Venti Quattro
04-11-2012, 04:27 AM
My only worry about this game is that we're up 40 or so in the 3rd and Brown is forced to play his bench and stumbles upon dudes who can actually play, making the Lakers a better team. Because as they stand, with or without Kobe, they suck and aren't getting out of the first round.

:lmao up by 40
:lmao like the Spurs are going to do anything

Horse
04-11-2012, 07:01 AM
It's now similar to playing the jazz two dominant big men and a scoring point guard. Now ofcourse bynum and gaysol are better than milsap and jefferson but the jazz has a better bench and their bigs may shoot a little better. Also may be easier to spread the floor bynum doesn't wanna come out of the paint. As long as we don't let down cause of no kobe we should be fine. I think we have more trouble with good perimeter d than interior, we will see.

Fireball
04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Spurs dominate at home ... Lakers are a mediocre away team ... no Kobe ... Big Three are rested ... we cannot lose this game - looking at this season its simply not possible.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Would be hilarious if Mike Brown trolls Pop by resting Gasol and Bynum too :)

100%duncan
04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Our best chance was Kome. :depressed

FromWayDowntown
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Kobe = no.

Joey (Crawford) = yes.

Sportcamper
04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Where is the fun in beating the Lakers without Kobe? And they will go to Bynum/Gasol a lot ...
You will soon witness the wrath of Ramon Sessions…:ihit

Mel_13
04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Kobe = no.

Joey (Crawford) = yes.

:lol

Joey is there to let Pop know that Stern is not amused when the Big 3 stays in San Antonio for road trips.

Fireball
04-11-2012, 11:02 AM
You will soon witness the wrath of Ramon Sessions…:ihit

He has yet to impress me ... so there is a good chance he will go off against the Spurs :lol

Sportcamper
04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Ramon is no Chris Paul but he is a significant upgrade over Fisher…Also you may be impressed with Crazy Ron; the guy has really worked himself into shape and is playing well…Gasol is good for 20 a night and Bynum is anybody’s guess…If Coach Brown says please & thank you Bynum may just come out and play some defense….

Venti Quattro
04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I hope he doesn't play Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest too much.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Ramon is no Chris Paul but he is a significant upgrade over Fisher…Also you may be impressed with Crazy Ron; the guy has really worked himself into shape and is playing well…Gasol is good for 20 a night and Bynum is anybody’s guess…If Coach Brown says please & thank you Bynum may just come out and play some defense….

-Metta has played very well lately, barring that last pass against the Hornets

-Sessions has been very good at distributing, attacking, and hitting from the perimeter. Significant upgrade over Fisher offensively. But he's been horrible defensively. I'd say he's a slight upgrade over Fish on defense but I think i'm being generous.

-Gasol has had a very good season so far. Still their best overall big man IMO.

-Bynum has also improved but it's pretty clear that Mike Brown has no control over him whatsoever.

I think it should be a close game earlybut the Spurs bench has the capability of turning it into a blowout by halftime.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I hope MWP rips manu's arms off and beats him to death with them

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
A win would be nice too

Mel_13
04-11-2012, 11:59 AM

I suppose that the absence of Kobe's elbows makes a more direct approach necessary.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I suppose that the absence of Kobe's elbows makes a more direct approach necessary.

True, however one carefully executed screen might do the trick.

Mel_13
04-11-2012, 12:05 PM
True, however one carefully executed screen might do the trick.

:lol

Mugen
04-11-2012, 12:09 PM

i hope the coyote pulls a Tonya Harding and clubs Baby Drew like a baby seal, tbh.

Given Manu's fragility this time of the year, your scenario seems more likely.

Sportcamper
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
i hope the coyote pulls a Tonya Harding and clubs Baby Drew like a baby seal

I really need to sign off so I can get some work done…This place is in rare form today…:lmao

Ryan Fitzpatrick
i hope the coyote pulls a Tonya Harding and clubs Baby Drew like a baby seal, tbh.

Given Manu's fragility this time of the year, your scenario seems more likely.

The coyote's too valuable...send bonner to do it and youre guaranteed a finals berth

Mal
Spurs 9,5 point favorite :lmao

Mugen
04-11-2012, 12:20 PM
The coyote's too valuable...send bonner to do it and youre guaranteed a finals berth

Bonner would choke and probably club Blake by mistake.

Venti Quattro
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I hope he also swings at McBob, Murphy and potato head.

Venti Quattro
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Spurs 9,5 point favorite :lmao

Then the Spurs win by just 9. :lmao

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Bonner would choke and probably club Blake by mistake.

No complaints here:lol

Mal
04-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Then the Spurs win by just 9. :lmao

I`m not gonna bet it, but it shows how bookies see this game

Obstructed_View
04-11-2012, 01:12 PM
He has yet to impress me ... so there is a good chance he will go off against the Spurs :lol

Don't know if you've been watching. He's a really good scorer, and he's good at moving the ball around. Offensively he's a huge upgrade over Fisher. Most of the complaints I heard about Fisher were that he was a terrible defender, and Sessions hasn't helped at that end at all. Doesn't really matter when you've got shot blockers and good defenders behind you, and he's definitely got that.

LakerHater
04-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Excuses will be rollin in ....

Sportcamper
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Don't know if you've been watching. He's a really good scorer, and he's good at moving the ball around.

That has been the biggest change…Poor ball rotation, not getting Bynum & Gasol early touches was the Lakers problem…Sessions feeds the bigs and has the ability to keep Bynum interested in the game…

Obstructed_View
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
That has been the biggest change…Poor ball rotation, not getting Bynum & Gasol early touches was the Lakers problem…Sessions feeds the bigs and has the ability to keep Bynum interested in the game…

No small feat, keeping Bynum's attention. ;) I think Fisher's still a good defender, but that's just not what they need. Furthermore, I don't think it was Fisher's fault that Bynum and Gasol weren't getting touches, but that's either going to sort it out or it isn't. Having someone with young legs that can do basically what Parker does for the Spurs takes a lot of pressure off Kobe. The only Kobe Bryant I really fear is the one who can pick and choose his spots to kill you instead of the one you know is going to shoot no matter what. The Lakers look like a mess lately because of all the shots he's been taking. They start going inside out and using Sessions to break down the defense they could make more noise than some people around here think.

Sportcamper
04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Be that as it may the Lakers have a glaring weakness…No Bench…They give up 20 point leads like nobody’s business….

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Be that as it may the Lakers have a glaring weakness…No Bench…They give up 20 point leads like nobody’s business….

Josh McRoberts will channel his inner-Austin Croshere c. 2000 Playoffs.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM

That's not an understatement; I just went and looked at their roster. I'd normally try to reassure you that rotations in the playoffs are shorter, and with at least five guys who are capable of pretty damn good defense they'll be okay. The fact that they simply don't look like they go more than six deep is scary.

Beaverfuzz
04-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Spurs win big. And fuck Kobe. Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_. :)

Mal
04-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Joey Crawford tonight ?

Mal
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Joey Crawford tonight ?

Found it

L.A. Lakers @ San Antonio Joe Crawford Bennie Adams Brent Barnaky

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Spurs win big. And fuck Kobe. Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_. :)

Racial slurs aren't tolerated here, bigot.