PDA

View Full Version : OT:The new age limit is racist and to appease white people

MajicMan
06-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Why is it that nobody is complaining about the 15 yr olds playing pro golf? What about the 14 yr olds playing pro tennis? The 17 yr olds being drafted by baseball teams? Sure the MLB has a farm system but the kids are still getting minor league contracts. The reason imo is those are white sports and it's ok as long as it's their sport but when they see a young uneduacted black kid like Lebron in a predominately black league get handed 90 mil contracts they are disgusted using excuses like "what if he doesn't make it in the NBA?" and "what is he going to fall back on?" jibberish. It's a double standard.

I was watching Around the Horn today and Plashke made a good point. There was a report done from someone from Harvard that said there was a success rate of 87% for kids coming from high school to the NBA. Also in the reoport was stated that these kids earned more money than their college educated counterparts.

Jermaine Oneil also brought up good points. "In the last two or three years, the rookie of the year has been a high school player. There were seven high school players in the All-Star Game, so why we even talking an age limit?" O'Neal said. "You don't hear about it in baseball or hockey. To say you have to be 20, 21 to get in the league, it's unconstitutional. If I can go to the U.S. Army and fight the war at 18 why can't you play basketball for 48 minutes?" O'Neal said.

Yeah someone is really going to get an education from one year of college. It really doesn't bother me if someone jumps from high school to the NBA and doesn't make it. I got my own problems to worry about. That same kid isn't going to worry about me if he gets a 100 million dollar contract. I don't undrstand why so many people are concerned with just the age limit in the NBA. Maybe it has something to do with race. If the NBA was really concerned about the state of tha NBA and the game than they would have made it a 20 age limit.

WayDowntownBang
06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
I agree that they shouldn't have raised the age to 19, but that's where my agreement ends.

To pull the race card out is completely foolish.

To compare it to hockey or baseball, there's a big.. BIG difference. They both have a very important, very solidified Minor League system. The NBA doesn't have that, and I wouldn't put the Development League in that same category just yet. If anything, it seems as if raising it to 19 is encouraging the NBDL... and yes, black people are allowed.

T Park
06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
[/QUOTE]NBA and the game than they would have made it a 20 age limit.[QUOTE]

they tried to but the players union shot it down.

BTW, cut the "race" bullshit, it has NOTHING to do with race moron.

combs84
06-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Its people like you who pull the race card out when its not needed, that make people completely disregard it when it is realevent. Congrats.

2centsworth
think of the players involved in the fight in detroit. 2 str8 out of highschool the other came out early. League is trying to get these kids to mature.

Xolotl
I agree it has to do with making both College and the NBA game better

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-21-2005, 05:31 PM
The NFL seems to be doing alright with their age limit(3 years removed from HS I think)...

Marklar MM
06-21-2005, 05:32 PM
I agree it has to do with making both College and the NBA game better

Exactly. The college game was declining as all the best high schoolers went pro, and the NBA was declining as the high schoolers, for the most part, were not prepared and sat the bench the first few years.

Spurminator
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/grenade.jpg

When lobbed into a discussion forum Grenade instantly blasts civil discourse into smoking rubble. Grenade's explosive content can be adjusted to the forum's interests. Typical detonating materials can be Bill Clinton, George Bush, gun control, homosexuality, Reagan, abortion, taxes, racism, conspiracy theory, the NEA, welfare reform, etc. When facing certain defeat a Warrior can stall even the most determined attack with a diversionary explosion.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/grenade.htm

Marklar MM
The NFL seems to be doing alright with their age limit...

I wonder why... :hat

Xolotl
The NFL seems to be doing alright with their age limit...

I think thats a different monster. I can't ever see a 18 yr old going up against an NFL player. Thats why I was hoping Clarett would go in. He wouldve been murdered.

samikeyp
06-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Yes because the majority of NBA players are white. :rolleyes

You are right though. When a 14 or 15yr old breaks into tennis or golf, they are hailed as "the next phenom" so its kinda stupid to criticize one sport and not the others. Dropping the race card though? That is just ignorant. I could understand that if there were a glut of white kids filling rosters and deserving black kids were being denied but that is not happening. If a kid is good enough for the NBA at 18, he will be as good or better (barring injury of course) at 19. The problem is parents, coaches and friends filling these kids heads with dreams of NBA stardom and money from age 4 even if the kid isn't that good. These people are looking to cash in on that kids talent. For every Kobe and LeBron you have a Korleone Young or Leon Smith. Kobe, LeBron and KG were the exceptions, not the rule.

WayDowntownBang
06-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I think thats a different monster. I can't ever see a 18 yr old going up against an NFL player. Thats why I was hoping Clarett would go in. He wouldve been murdered.

100% correct.

As for Tennis or Golf, the point is definitely valid, but I think it's every sport's right to decide their own age limit. The physical demand on a golfer or tennis player is much.. MUCH less than the NBA. The NFL is even greater.

whottt
06-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Its people like you who pull the race card out when its not needed, that make people completely disregard it when it is realevent. Congrats.

Damn...that's really well put.

06-21-2005, 05:36 PM

He's actually lost weight this year. I'm sure he'll do fine as long as he runs faster than his OL...

Xolotl
06-21-2005, 05:37 PM
He's actually lost weight this year. I'm sure he'll do fine as long as he runs faster than his OL...

He lost weight? I thought he reported to the combine(sp?) overweight and slow

06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
He lost weight? I thought he reported to the combine(sp?) overweight and slow

Maybe it's me, but I seem to remember him being fatter last year. You are correct about this year...

SouthernFried
06-21-2005, 05:44 PM
I was gonna say something...but, it seems it's already been said better than I could have.

Damn...

whottt
06-21-2005, 05:47 PM
BTW MagicMan, Magic Johnson doesn't think it's racist either.

3rdCoast
06-21-2005, 05:53 PM
I Wish All Sports Had A 20 Age Limit

Extra Stout
06-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Whether the age limit is productive is another topic.

But racist? Sheesh. If anything, it helps black American kids. They'll get a chance to show what they can do against real competition for a year while the international kids are languishing on a bench somewhere.

Xolotl
06-21-2005, 05:54 PM
yeesh

jermaine o'neal should be the POSTER BOY for an NBA age limit

I think it should be Kwame Brown

Horry For 3!
06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I think the age limit to 19 is pretty good.

MajicMan
06-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Exactly. The NBA is a business and it's all about the money. That's why the age limit. That's not to say the age limit isn't racist. The age limit was raised to appease white people. It's marketing and image and to give them the satisfaction. The NBA doesn't want to alienate that part of the fan base or potential fan base. Throw them a bone if you will. I'm not saying the NBA is being racist to its own players in general because they know the majority of their players are black but the age limit is obviously racist. Maybe not on the NBA's part but on the behalf of the people calling for it.

Sure baseball has a farm system but those kids are still earning a living and getting a paycheck. If they really wanted to clean up the game they should have taken a hard stance on 20. I'm not against the age limit but 19? I don't believe that was a legitimate attempt at helping the state of the NBA or was it genuine concerns for these kids. Obviously it was cosmetic. It's all about making money and they did what they had to do but I genuinely feel it was racist on behalf of the people calling for the

JustSpurs
06-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Playing the race card is weak, please stop making an ass out of yourself.

MajicMan
06-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Such loving concern for our Black youth.

See my two fingers rubbing together That's the worlds smallest violin. You guys are breaking my heart. Any time somebody uses the term "race card" it tells Black people where you're coming from. Why don't you tell a women "Stop playing the 'rape' card" or a Native "Stop playing the 'reservation' card."

You people don't give two sh**s about the welfare of these players or there would be a call for all sports to have an age limit. This is racism masquerading as condescending liberal paternalism. Why does it so happen to be all the Black dominated sports that need "protection" for it's players?

'Cause lawd knows we can't make our own decisions.

These are multi-billionares who don't want to play by the rules of capitalism. They don't want to pass up the reward of drafting the next KB, KG, or LBJ but don't want to assume the risk of drafting a bust.

Too f'ing bad. You don't want a HS player then don't f'in draft him. Where's the gun to their head on draft night?

It's a combination of money and race. You can't stand seeing these black kids who don't speak the King's English making all this money.

diego
06-21-2005, 06:50 PM
dude, the players union is much more interested in the age limit than anyone else. how are the old guys supposed to have any job security if teams can gamble on younguns for less money than the vet min.? and last i checked, those old players looking out for themselves are 90% black, and i dont blame them for a second, if they dedicate their life to a sport wherein they will likely injure themselves, can be traded to and fro like cattle, only to be dumped everytime some scout thinks he found the next lebron or the next nowitzki, then they must exercise their right to organize and protect their rights.

if tennis players or golf players had a union, i wouldnt be surprised if they pushed for an age limit to protect the careers of older guys.

06-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Such loving concern for our Black youth.

See my two fingers rubbing together That's the worlds smallest violin. You guys are breaking my heart. Any time somebody uses the term "race card" it tells Black people where you're coming from. Why don't you tell a women "Stop playing the 'rape' card" or a Native "Stop playing the 'reservation' card."

You people don't give two sh**s about the welfare of these players or there would be a call for all sports to have an age limit. This is racism masquerading as condescending liberal paternalism. Why does it so happen to be all the Black dominated sports that need "protection" for it's players?

These are multi-billionares who don't want to play by the rules of capitalism. They don't want to pass up the reward of drafting the next KB, KG, or LBJ but don't want to assume the risk of drafting a bust.

Too f'ing bad. You don't want a HS player then don't f'in draft him. Where's the gun to their head on draft night?

It's a combination of money and race. You can't stand seeing these black kids who don't speak the King's English making all this money.

It applies to all who enter the draft. This means Darko wouldn't of been drafted either. Are they being discriminatory against ethnicity as well?

Brodels
06-21-2005, 06:55 PM
dude, the players union is much more interested in the age limit than anyone else. how are the old guys supposed to have any job security if teams can gamble on younguns for less money than the vet min.? and last i checked, those old players looking out for themselves are 90% black, and i dont blame them for a second, if they dedicate their life to a sport wherein they will likely injure themselves, can be traded to and fro like cattle, only to be dumped everytime some scout thinks he found the next lebron or the next nowitzki, then they must exercise their right to organize and protect their rights.

if tennis players or golf players had a union, i wouldnt be surprised if they pushed for an age limit to protect the careers of older guys.

You know, that's true. NBA veterans, most of whom are black, have been calling for this. Are you telling me that black NBA veterans are racist, too?

Last time I checked, whites were included in the rule, too.

Could it be that the rule change was made because many players union reps and the league actually thought it would be good for the game? It's not like it isn't without precedent. It's worked very well in the NFL.

I think you're mistaken in believing that many people are using 'I'm just looking out for the players' as an excuse. I think most people want a higher quality game and better on-court behavior. And those things will be accomplished with this rule change. Keeping kids of any and every race off of the court until they're 19 will accomplish those things.

TNT21
06-21-2005, 06:58 PM

There you go isn't that reason enough?? :rolleyes

Alchal
06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
I think the age limit is stupid, if your fit enough to go to the NBA why not do it.

dougp
06-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I think the age limit is stupid, if your fit enough to go to the NBA why not do it.So that they would know that they should atleast have used "you're" in your sentence of "...is stupid, if your (should be you're) fit enough..."

Make sense? It's called an education.

GrandeDavid
06-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Exactly. The NBA is a business and it's all about the money. That's why the age limit. That's not to say the age limit isn't racist. The age limit was raised to appease white people.

What about black people, and there are many, who are in favor of raising the age limit? Hell, even Charles Barkley said that the age limit should be raised. In any event, your all-inclusive, completely unfounded "logic" will not be bought by any person, independent of race, with at least a basic education. That's silly.

Can you prove your assumption? Didn't think so.

JustSpurs
06-21-2005, 07:44 PM
So that they would know that they should atleast have used "you're" in your sentence of "...is stupid, if your (should be you're) fit enough..."

Make sense? It's called an education.
Thank-you!