PDA

View Full Version : ESPN First Take (video): Problem With Spurs Leaving Starters At Home?

jestersmash
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7795720

JRHernandez88
04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
cool vid.

Hoops Czar
04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree with Skip.

jestersmash
04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't buy Jalen Rose's "potential psychological disadvantage for [the big 3]" argument. He claims that by sitting Tony/Manu/Tim, you're reinforcing to them the idea that they're too old or that they can't bring it every night and that they need to be babied.

I highly doubt Tim/Tony/Manu actually feel that way. Their relationship with Pop is just far too close-knit for that.

And it's not as though they don't have a say in it either. There was a back to back a couple of games ago where Pop wanted to sit Manu on the second end but Manu told him that he wanted to play because he still needed time to get into a rhythm, and Pop allowed it. It's always been a two-way street when it comes to Pop and the Big 3.

Solid D
04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Jalen is a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Solid D
04-10-2012, 07:07 PM
...and Stephen A.'s driveway doesn't quite reach the road, either.

Old School 44
04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I wonder too how the Spurs players who played the game feel about it, especially a veteran like Stephen Jackson. Pop's saying these three guys are the most important to our team, the rest of you are expendable. Now, go out and try your best.

Spurfect21
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I wonder too how the Spurs players who played the game feel about it, especially a veteran like Stephen Jackson. Pop's saying these three guys are the most important to our team, the rest of you are expendable. Now, go out and try your best.

Umm...he rested Jack the game before...

therealtruth
04-10-2012, 07:32 PM
4 championships. You can't question him ever.

Mel_13
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM
4 championship. You can't question him ever.

:sleep

Of course you can question him.

703 Spurz
04-10-2012, 07:35 PM

What Spurfect said. Jackson sat out the game before. Besides, if anyone on the team had a problem with this, they better realize ASAP that the team isn't winning fuck without Duncan, Gino, and Parker.

therealtruth
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
:sleep

Of course you can question him.

How many championships do you have?

Mel_13
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
How many championships do you have?

The exact same number as you.

Old School 44
04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
What Spurfect said. Jackson sat out the game before. Besides, if anyone on the team had a problem with this, they better realize ASAP that the team isn't winning fuck without Duncan, Gino, and Parker.

Yes...with Dejuan Blair. Slightly different.

TwelveGs210
04-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I think Pop purposely did this because he doesn't want the attention of a huge winning streak. Set em up to break the streak. He Sat Tony last time to rest his bruised thigh when we were on the other streak, but I'm sure Parker could have played..

Ahh..I'm sure I'm wrong, but it just seems like a strange coincedence.

hooperflash
04-10-2012, 08:06 PM
it amazes me how so many analysts can be so stupid. just root for the Spurs, you won't look dumb and IF they were to lose, you still wouldn't look dumb. :wakeup

crc21209
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
The whole "But, but the fans are cheated" argument is bullshit. Yeah it sucks that you go to a game, and some stars are missing. But hey, it happens. I've gone to a number of games where either Tim, Tony, or Manu was out because of rest or injury. That's just the luck of the draw when you buy tickets weeks or months in advance to a game...deal with it.

Spurs7794
04-10-2012, 09:02 PM

I don't think the other guys need Pop to say it to realize that those three guys are the most important to the team. Unless they are completely delusional.

freetiago
04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
cant wait til the next laker game during the 3 in 3 nights
that one is actually being broadcasted on tnt (national game) for those of you who dont know
if people are pissed about him sitting players during a meaningless game that absouletely no one watched but spur and jazz fans
a national game vs L.A will get some heat
sterns probably gonna reinstate the fine if you dont play players after that one

nbaman99
04-10-2012, 09:20 PM
The way I see it. there is only two reason's he did this. We already knew that, Pop going to rest the big three more games ahead of time. Manu could have played since he rested 30 some games already, but Timmy, specially Tony needed this. The second reason is that, getting BD, SJ and Patty get more experience in our system about two weeks before the playoffs.
If you think about it, its great planing by Pop as always.

:lobt2:

DMC
04-10-2012, 09:39 PM
If the fans aren't cheated, why does Pop never sit the big 3 at home?

Exactly.

daslicer
04-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Outside of the big 3 and Jax this team is real young so I don't think they were offended when the big 3 got the night off. Knowing that young guys like to score and pad their stats I'm sure they were happy to get the extra minutes to do that.

Mel_13
04-10-2012, 09:47 PM
If the fans aren't cheated, why does Pop never sit the big 3 at home?

Exactly.

In another thread it was noted that this was only 6th time that all three of the Big 3 missed the same game. At least one of them was at home:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200704180SAS.html

Duncan alone was a healthy DNP in this game last season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201103190SAS.html

Mugen
04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm sure the Mormons would rather see a win than to see their team get pounded again by a complete Spurs team.

weebo
04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
This crap happens in baseball all the time where players get a day off during the season. Like someone else pointed out, I think the Jazz fans rather have their team win then get a beat down because the other team is playing with a complete line up and you're not.

Seventyniner
04-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Duncan alone was a healthy DNP in this game last season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201103190SAS.html

The one game I got to go to last year. Instead of watching the greatest PF ever, I got to see Diaw's fat ass lumber up and down the floor.

Spurs da champs
04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
He's lost his coaching ability & he's become a glorified D'Antoni wannabe.

SA210
04-11-2012, 12:53 AM
I agree with Skip.

TDMVPDPOY
04-11-2012, 01:16 AM
resting players is like waving the white flag during games pop usually does when his team gets a beating in the first half....get use to it fellas, nothings change

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 01:29 AM
The one game I got to go to last year. Instead of watching the greatest PF ever, I got to see Diaw's fat ass lumber up and down the floor.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Ok. When you put it that way it sounds downright inconsiderate.

jestersmash
04-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Oh really? Does anyone care to share Tony Parker's thoughts on the Spurs chances to win a championship after the end of last season with this young man?

Whatever you say, TJ :lol

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 02:43 AM
Oh really? Does anyone care to share Tony Parker's thoughts on the Spurs chances to win a championship after the end of last season with this young man?

Pop's got them brainwashed.