PDA

View Full Version : What makes Kawhi Leonard so good?

DJB
04-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere. Merge if so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/40448/what-makes-kawhi-leonard-so-good

The rap on Kawhi Leonard coming out of college was that the kid could play, but he sure couldn't shoot. Leonard projected to be a great rebounder and defender for his position and at just 29 percent from the college 3-point line, he projected to be a project on the offensive end.

Look at him now. Starting for the second best team in the West, playing 25 minutes a night and shooting 37 percent from the behind the NBA 3-point line. Every single measurement of shooting has improved.

This is a minor miracle for a rookie, but it's business as usual for the San Antonio Spurs, a team with an impressive track record of finding and developing talent. On the NBA Today podcast (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7755610), ESPN's David Thorpe (who ranks Leonard fourth in his Rookie Rankings (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings)) argued that this is no accident. Players like Leonard are special but need plenty of support from the organization that drafts them to reach their potential.

Here's Thorpe:

What I’ve always contended and one of my missions is to get away from the idea that these players are a set commodity and to recognize that there’s a huge variable on each one of their values based on so many factors. And if you really build the right environment, you increase the likelihood that individual players will reach their potential.

And the franchises that don’t do that and in some cases create the opposite effect, which would be a negative, poisonous culture, then that same player not only is not going to be able to reach his potential, but his potential is going to be dragged down beyond even what it would be in a neutral setting.
In the Spurs, Leonard has found the perfect home. His development from the start of the season -- when he looked lost and out of place within in the Spurs' concepts of spacing and movement -- has been tremendous. His technique on his jumpshot has improved, which is a testament to his own hard work. In addition, the Spurs have done a marvelous job of putting him in a position to succeed. In the Spurs league-leading offense (http://hoopspeak.com/2012/04/spurs-in-space/), that spot is in the corner, where Leonard is making an even 50 percent of his attempts this year.

The Spurs traded for Leonard on draft night after he fell to the Pacers at 15. Would he be this effective on another team? The NBA draft is the time for a player to change a franchise. But maybe we should consider that more often than not, it works the other way around.

Winehole23
04-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I love that Kawhi Leonard barely turns the ball over. George Hill trade looks more plausible every day. The amount and quality of Leonard's PT continues to impress.

I'm looking forward to the playoffs with more excitement than apprehension for the first time in awhile. Kawhi Leonard is part of that picture.

elemento
04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Feels so good to read it after so much bitching about trading Hill for Leonard in the draft day.

Not to mention all the moronic bitching about taking Leonard over Singleton.

Now the clueless morons have to Neal with. Leonard is a stud

wildbill2u
04-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Spurs are a good environment for rookies, marginal players with some potential, and aging vets. All of them can get a 'fair shake' from Pop if they accept their defined roles.

Unfortunately, some free agent veterans can't get over the mental hump that SA is a small market and not a 'fun' or comfortable place for guys from urban 'hoods. Their viewpoint is based on a cultural comfort zone instead of a great team concept that might lead to a championship.

thispego
04-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I love that Kawhi Leonard barely turns the ball over. George Hill trade looks more plausible every day. The amount and quality of Leonard's PT continues to impress.

I'm looking forward to the playoffs with more excitement than apprehension for the first time in awhile. Kawhi Leonard is part of that picture.

Exactly what I mentioned to some buddies of mine the other day :tu

z0sa
04-11-2012, 11:54 AM
His three point shooting has been a huge surprise and a huge plus. He definitely needs to keep it up.

4down
04-11-2012, 12:12 PM
excellent point. Love the Spurs as not only a sports model but a business model.

Comments on the article were awesome:

MJ is still the best
I would like to hear RC and Pop's scouting meetings.
1 Hour Ago

chopper524
If we were to listen in on one of those meetings, our brains would explode.
1 fan likes this.

Spur|n|Austin
04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Spurs are a good environment for rookies, marginal players with some potential, and aging vets. All of them can get a 'fair shake' from Pop if they accept their defined roles.

Unfortunately, some free agent veterans can't get over the mental hump that SA is a small market and not a 'fun' or comfortable place for guys from urban 'hoods. Their viewpoint is based on a cultural comfort zone instead of a great team concept that might lead to a championship.

Well said, sir. :toast

Poolboy5623
04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
His three point shooting has been a huge surprise and a huge plus. He definitely needs to keep it up.

"keeping it up" will be the key...it seems to me hes dropped off a bit lately in terms of production..it also seems like hes being more passive with the new additions on the team?? I just hope he doesnt hit the wall hard during the playoffs!! Im a big fan of Kawhi and was excited when they traded for him..just concerned as of late.

dylankerouac
04-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Comments on the article were awesome:

I noticed these too. Mad props.

coyotes_geek
04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Spurs are a good environment for rookies.......

This can't be true. Remember how Pop ruined Malik Hairston, Marcus Williams and Desmon Farmer?

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
His African genes. Very conducive tot he sport of basketball, imo

DesignatedT
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
That is a good article. Short but well written.

DesignatedT
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
50% from 3 in the corners is a great stat as well.

coyotes_geek
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Seems like Chip Engelland would have deserved a mention for Kawhi's shooting improvement...

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
50% from 3 in the corners is a great stat as well.

meh, I did that in high school.

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I think what helps Kawhi is that he doesn't overthink the game. He just goes out there and plays.

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I wonder what the league average on corner 3's is?

Maddog
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM

Not only Leonard, but also the rights to Lorbek and Bertans where obtained in the deal for Hill.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182170

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177037