PDA

View Full Version : Rearranging the deck chairs amid this meltdown

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
-Any Spurs fan who can't recognize the Lakers are by faaaaaaaaaaar the worst matchup for the Spurs in the playoffs (in the West, at least) needs to return their fandom card and go find another sport, tbh.

-Danny Green earned a starting spot going into the playoffs going into the playoffs.

-Stephen Jackson was one of the few who didn't get scared.

-Speaking of scared, I didn't know the Lakers traded for Mike Conley ... I thought they traded for Ramon Sessions.

-The last two times in San Antonio, the Lakers just played volleyball above the rim. Sure, the Lakers hit fluke shots tonight but it didn't matter. If they missed those shots, they were going to get most of the rebounds anyways.

-If the refs wouldn't have gifted numerous calls in the Spurs' favor, the Lakers would have won this game by 40.

All that said, at the end of the day, the key is for Pop not to allow this to be the start of a downward spiral. Last season, the Lakers clobbered the Spurs in San Antonio and then Pop panicked, changed everything and the Spurs were never the same. Pop has to just blow this off as no big deal and just keep it rolling. If Pop tightens all his sphincters again this season, we may witness yet another collapse.

Don't overreact. Keep a level head. Go hard tomorrow night and try to get back on track. Then you have two more games against the Lakers to show you can adjust (*cough* Duncan and Splitter together *cough*)

But at the end of the season, if the Spurs need to tank a few games to get out of the Lakers' half of the bracket, they should absolutely do that.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM
timvp, right about dem Lakers

Mugen
04-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Is there any way Pop still doesn't play Tiago/Tim against the Lakers?

What else does he need to see, tbh?

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Great post. Agree with all

And I'm very disappointed at Tony. He didn't even try. Pathetic game

xellos88330
Pop is getting paid lots of money. He should have worked on getting Tim and Tiago on the court together a long time ago.

spurs1990
But at the end of the season, if the Spurs need to tank a few games to get out of the Lakers' half of the bracket, they should absolutely do that.

Again this is true but it's hard to swallow that the Spurs have been reduced to hoping to avoid teams.

Personally I'd rather go through them and Memphis. They're not 100% unbeatable in the playoffs.

Jumi
04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
More Duncan and Splitter, more Tony hitting shots! This game was the final straw for Blair for me. I wanted to see could he hold up....he couldn't. It is what it is. I still like Bonner and what he brings to the table, but Blair aint it vs. LA or Memphis. That's just the cold hard facts!

Harry Callahan
04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Ron Artest became Zach Randolph as well. Glad I didn't watch this mess on TV.

Libri
Didn't watch the game but I recorded it. Any point of watching it or should I burn the tape? Anybody?

Koolaid_Man
-Any Spurs fan who can't recognize the Lakers are by faaaaaaaaaaar the worst matchup for the Spurs in the playoffs (in the West, at least) needs to return their fandom card and go find another sport, tbh.

-Danny Green earned a starting spot going into the playoffs going into the playoffs.

-Speaking of scared, I didn't know the Lakers traded for Mike Conley ... I thought they traded for Ramon Sessions.

-The last two times in San Antonio, the Lakers just played volleyball above the rim. Sure, the Lakers hit fluke shots tonight but it didn't matter. If they missed those shots, they were going to get most of the rebounds anyways.

-If the refs wouldn't have gifted numerous calls in the Spurs' favor, the Lakers would have won this game by 40.

All that said, at the end of the day, the key is for Pop not to allow this to be the start of a downward spiral. Last season, the Lakers clobbered the Spurs in San Antonio and then Pop panicked, changed everything and the Spurs were never the same. Pop has to just blow this off as no big deal and just keep it rolling. If Pop tightens all his sphincters again this season, we may witness yet another collapse.

Don't overreact. Keep a level head. Go hard tomorrow night and try to get back on track. Then you have two more games against the Lakers to show you can adjust (*cough* Duncan and Splitter together *cough*)

get off our dick scro :lmao

vander
just need some greg williams defense on those bynum knees

loveforthegame
04-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Nothing is going to change. The Lakers have a far superior front line and Pop will never do anything to try and match it (Duncan/Splitter).

I'm more disappointed in the big 3 (mainly Parker and Ginobli) setting a scared tone.

spectator
depending on the lakers' injuries and how the spurs play them in the last 2 games, the clippers may end up at no 3

jjktkk

The only dick you could possibly have, is one that needs batteries inserted in it.

FkLA
04-11-2012, 09:58 PM
-Manu needs to get in top form asap because we cant rely on Parker being our best player. Match Tony up against big physical defenses that clog the lane and he disappears too often for a player whos supposed to be the best on a legit title contender. Scared to attack the rim, 0 FTAs, 4 points. Just pathetic tbh. Makes his performance against Chicago look amazing.

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 09:59 PM

I hope ElNono and other chest-puffers are reading this:lol

DAF86
LJ are you implying that Blair should remain in the starting line-up?

Josepatches_
Gasol/Bynum....... You have to play Duncan/Splitter. If you don't have players then it's ok,you have to try something different but it's not our case. We have 2 7 footers between our 4 better players. It's fucking crazy.

If you add Leonard.... then size could be our advantage against most teams of the league.

We were afraid all these years of Odom/Gasol/Bynum.... now we can play something similar,surely worse but ...

Spurs Brazil
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Didn't watch the game but I recorded it. Any point of watching it or should I burn the tape? Anybody?

Burn Burn Burn

baseline bum
04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
DRob rolling in his grave seeing Tim with 2 boards tonight.

Venti Quattro
04-11-2012, 10:01 PM
DRob rolling in his grave seeing Tim with 2 boards tonight.

He might have been rolling at the AT&T center tbh

SpursNextRomanEmpire

Save yourself, don't watch it.

roycrikside

Your statements are confusing and seem contradictory. At one point you're saying Pop shouldn't change anything, on the other, you're saying he should go to Tim and Tiago. Which is it?

mexicanjunior
04-11-2012, 10:02 PM

The last thing Pop should do is go with this ridiculous status qou of giving Blair starter minutes and putting a Berlin wall between Duncan and Splitter on the court. If this loss doesn't open his eyes Clockwork Orange style to make a significant change in the rotation, nothing will.

baseline bum
Too late to sign Artis Gilmore?

NRHector

burn the GD tape

ElNono
Spurs just didn't play their game... no ball movement, scared to shoot, scared to drive...

If this is the brand of basketball the Spurs are going to play in the playoffs, no matchup "adjustment" is going to fix that.

timvp
LJ are you implying that Blair should remain in the starting line-up?

For tomorrow night? Yes. Pop can't panic or else the whole team will panic.

But obviously going forward against the Lakers, if Pop doesn't play Duncan and Splitter together he might have to let someone else coach games against L.A., tbh.

ElNono
04-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I hope ElNono and other chest-puffers are reading this:lol

I am, and I replied. If Tony is going to drop a 4 point turd, and everyone else will just stop playing, then it's not just the Lakers that's a bad matchup. We can't compete.

FkLA
04-11-2012, 10:03 PM

Burn it. Then piss on it tbh.

Splits
04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Who really cares? We didn't have it tonight, they did. Yeah, there are things to fix but the sky-is-falling fan is annoying. Sometimes dudes just don't click and have it. It was one of those nights. Fuck it, forget about it, and get it back on their home floor in a week.

spectator
04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm more disappointed in the big 3 (mainly Parker and Ginobli) setting a scared tone.

exactly - parker could not buy a shot and ginobili could not help himself from turning over the ball

nevertheless, in the following games, world peace should score 13 fewer pts and tony should score 13 more pts. i cannot believe the type of shots world peace hit - 3 pointer (just to hit the rim at the buzzer - did not even jump or bend his hands into a shooting motion), 3-4 fade aways on long 2s, ridiculous 3PT shooting %

Russ
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
-
All that said, at the end of the day, the key is for Pop not to allow this to be the start of a downward spiral. Last season, the Lakers clobbered the Spurs in San Antonio and then Pop panicked, changed everything and the Spurs were never the same.

If "panicking" means playing less Bonner and more Splitter, I say panic, baby!

Please panic, Pop.

Big time. :)

DAF86
I don't know, I don't think starting Diaw over Blair would change things so dramatically. And if we're going to make that change, the sooner the better.

timvp
Your statements are confusing and seem contradictory. At one point you're saying Pop shouldn't change anything, on the other, you're saying he should go to Tim and Tiago. Which is it?

Stick with Blair in the starting lineup for now. You can always change that at the very end of the regular season or in the playoffs. But against the Lakers, Splitter should be the first bigman off the bench and play 30 minutes at least.

Koolaid_Man
For tomorrow night? Yes. Pop can't panic or else the whole team will panic.

But obviously going forward against the Lakers, if Pop doesn't play Duncan and Splitter together he might have to let someone else coach games against L.A., tbh.

after tonight's loss you need to change your name from TimVp change to TimPP :lmao

crc21209
04-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Gotta agree with timvp. Out of all the Spurs tonight, Danny Green and Stephen Jackson earned big time minutes with their performances tonight. Both bring hustle and toughness to the team. Tony and Tim need to get their heads out of their asses, forget this performance, and bring their A games next time. Theres no way in hell teams like the Hornets and Suns (who played the Lakers much tougher) are better than the Spurs. Tonight is what a major lack of effort tbh....

ElNono
04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Stick with Blair in the starting lineup for now. You can always change that at the very end of the regular season or in the playoffs. But against the Lakers, Splitter should be the first bigman off the bench and play 30 minutes at least.

This should've been happening for a while now. There's no excuse for it. But it's not the reason we lost this game, IMO.

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Spurs just didn't play their game... no ball movement, scared to shoot, scared to drive...

If this is the brand of basketball the Spurs are going to play in the playoffs, no matchup "adjustment" is going to fix that.

NoNo, you're still not understanding it. Tony had an awful game, but the Spurs got Deebo'd at home w/o the leading scorer in the league. I know you'll comeback with, "well they're better without Kobe!," but this is the same lineup that got buttfucked by the Suns and nearly lost to the freaking Hornets.

Our bigs also shot 16-44 from the field, a terrible percentage for them.

Like I've been telling you since Day 1. The playoffs is all about matchups, and the Spurs want NO part of the Lakers in that regard (or Memphis).

Mugen
04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
imma need some more stats on why this is Bonner's year, tbh.

Get on that roycrik

Koolaid_Man
timpp

tim pee-pee

mexicanjunior
Stick with Blair in the starting lineup for now. You can always change that at the very end of the regular season or in the playoffs

So starting Splitter over Blair now would cause the team to panic but making the change before the playoffs wouldn't? It would seem doing that right before the elimination games start would be a worse move. At least doing it now would give the team time to adjust and find some chemistry...doing it after April 26th would be a death sentence.

MmP
It's amazing how in 10 seconds into the second half Tiago guarder 2000 times better Bynum than any other bigmen despite TD.

Pretty much agree with all.
Im very disappointed with Tony, what the hell? Im one of his biggest fans but the disappearing act he had tonight it's scary.

crc21209
04-11-2012, 10:11 PM
NoNo, you're still not understanding it. Tony had an awful game, but the Spurs got Deebo'd at home w/o the leading scorer in the league. I know you'll comeback with, "well they're better without Kobe!," but this is the same lineup that got buttfucked by the Suns and nearly lost to the freaking Hornets.

Like I've been telling you since Day 1. The playoffs is all about matchups, and the Spurs want NO part of the Lakers in that regard (or Memphis).

Yeah your bigs shot 16-44 but then rebounded the hell out of the ball and kicked it out to Artest who scored 26 fluke ass points and Blake made fade-away fluke ass 3's....

roycrikside
04-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Defense was the least reason the Spurs lost the game. What was way more concerning was the offense and the rebounding (or lack of, in both cases).

Tim and Tony both played like dogshit, and Pop never made proper adjustments. He should've come out in the second half with Tiago and Manu starting and gone to the pick-and-roll with Tiago.

Sean Cagney
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM

AMEN, which is why I am not getting up some high hopes this year yet.

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM

Get on that roycrik
:lol

timvp
04-11-2012, 10:13 PM
So starting Splitter over Blair now would cause the team to panic but making the change before the playoffs wouldn't? It would seem doing that right before the elimination games start would be a worse move. At least doing it now would give the team time to adjust and find some chemistry...doing it after April 26th would be a death sentence.
Pop's not going to go from not playing them together when they are getting curbstomped on the boards to starting him next game. If Pop wants to start Splitter and Duncan next game, go ahead. But there's no way that's what he does.

roycrikside

Get on that roycrik

Bonner didn't have much to do, if anything, with the loss. I guess you missed the 20 straight trips down the floor where no one besides Tim and Tony touched the ball.

ElNono

lol no, I'm not going to pull the Lakers play better without Kobe.

We've both watched the Lakers this season, and MWP had an incredibly fluke night. Tony also had a terrible night. You get those two guys alone to their averages, and the Spurs win.

Tony specifically pisses me off, because he doesn't play scared like that against Dwight. I'm just disgusted, and it's not just him. Spurs just didn't run their offense and didn't play their game. Sometimes it's as simple as that.

weebo
04-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Why Memphis?

ZBO is not playing like last year's ZBO.

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah your bigs shot 16-44 but then rebounded the hell out of the ball and kicked it out to Artest who scored 26 fluke ass points and Blake made fade-away fluke ass 3's....

I think it's adorable that you still have hope.

Koolaid_Man
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
timpp

tim pee-pee

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Why Memphis?

ZBO is not playing like last year's ZBO.

He's still averaging 10+ rbs a game in limit minutes while working himself into game shape. He would punish whomever the Spurs put on him (AGAIN)

mexicanjunior
If Pop wants to start Splitter and Duncan next game, go ahead. But there's no way that's what he does.

Then there really is no hope...

HarlemHeat37
If Duncan is going to launch jump shots all game, why not have Splitter on the court for some pick and roll action?..let Tim shoot jump shots, once LA's bigs leave him..

Duncan and Parker doesn't work against LA..

Mugen
04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Bonner didn't have much to do, if anything, with the loss. I guess you missed the 20 straight trips down the floor where no one besides Tim and Tony touched the ball.

Pop's love affair with Bon Bon for almost 4 years now is the reason Tiago/Tim aren't playing together, tbh.

McBob posterizing Bonner. Pop takes Bonner out. Chews him out. Throws him right back in the game. Gets shitted on again.

Last 4 years in a nutshell.

acoelho1
04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I think the Spurs fans overreact by far to bad losses. Sure, the Lakers present issues down low but you can also include the Grizzles and Clippers for that matter and we will have to face one of those teams in the 2nd round. The problem as I see it (which everyone knows) is Pop refusal to play Splitter and Duncan together. The best D I saw out there was from Splitter. He was physical and showed a lot of toughness but again only gets limited minutes.

We won't make through these playoffs with Blair/Bonner playing heavy minutes in the playoffs. Tiago should start with Diaw and Bonner as the backups. It was painful to watch in the first half Bynum dominating the boards as 6ft turd Blair trying to block him out. Hopefully, these next couple of weeks will knock some sense into Pop as we are being pummeled down low, he finally decides to change course.

GSH
04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Somewhere in there you should mention that an MVP candidate has to be a go-to guy. I have a lot of respect for Tony, and what he brings to this team. But that was no MVP candidate on the floor. And it's not because he missed shots - everybody has a bad shooting night now and then. It was his inability (or unwillingness?) to take it to the rack, and try and draw a few fouls. When he did try to penetrate, he just failed miserably. Even his floaters were more like desperation shots, instead of him taking the shot that he wanted.

I will say this though: early in the game, Bynum was camping in the paint longer than I have ever seen. (We re-wound and checked one in particular that was between 7 and 8 seconds, without even an attempt to guard anyone.) He's a big guy, and when he doesn't have to move laterally, he's damned hard to get by. That set the tone for the night, and it was pretty much an avalance after that. But Tony still has to go at him, and try to sell a few fouls. He bailed on way too many of those plays.

Also, tonight I saw one of the same things I saw against Memphis in last year's playoffs. The Lakers were throwing up shots like they didn't care, because they KNEW that their bigs were going to scrape the glass. And when a guy shoots like he doesn't have a care in the world, he's going to make a lot more shots. Even the bad shooters in the NBA can still hit shots when they're free-wheeling.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Then there really is no hope...

lol that should be on your gravestone, tbh.

Welcome back, MJ!

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Also, when your best player is a PG--you're fucked in the playoffs.

Venti Quattro
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Also, when your best player is a PG--you're fucked in the playoffs.

:lol Chicago

Josepatches_

Ok,Stick with Blair in the starting lineup....no problem

But...he should start to play Tiago & Tim together some minutes....not only against the Lakers.

To built chemistry and to play our size advantage sometimes too.

Spurs Brazil
Somewhere in there you should mention that an MVP candidate has to be a go-to guy. I have a lot of respect for Tony, and what he brings to this team. But that was no MVP candidate on the floor. And it's not because he missed shots - everybody has a bad shooting night now and then. It was his inability (or unwillingness?) to take it to the rack, and try and draw a few fouls. When he did try to penetrate, he just failed miserably. Even his floaters were more like desperation shots, instead of him taking the shot that he wanted.

I will say this though: early in the game, Bynum was camping in the paint longer than I have ever seen. (We rewound and checked one in particular that was between 7 and 8 seconds, without even an attempt to guard anyone.) He's a big guy, and when he doesn't have to move laterally, he's damned hard to get by. That set the tone for the night, and it was pretty much an avalance after that. But Tony still has to go at him, and try to seel a few fouls. He bailed on way too many of those plays.

Also, tonight I saw one of the same things I saw against Memphis in last year's playoffs. The Lakers were throwing up shots like they didn't care, because they KNEW that their bigs were going to scrape the glass. And when a guy shoots like he doesn't have a care in the world, he's going to make a lot more shots. Even the bad shooters in the NBA can still hit shots when they're freehweeling.

great take :tu

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm hittin' up Taco Bell for a victory meal...you scros want something?

Yuixafun
04-11-2012, 10:22 PM
The last thing Pop should do is go with this ridiculous status qou of giving Blair starter minutes and putting a Berlin wall between Duncan and Splitter on the court. If this loss doesn't open his eyes Clockwork Orange style to make a significant change in the rotation, nothing will.

WOW great allusion man!

Because at the end of the book, the bloke does decide to mend his ways.

Or was it a reference to the rehab he was forced to endure in the movie, where his eyes were kept forced open.

Either way kudos. (more if you meant the book ending, because in the movie he just stays a sicko, and we don't want that from POP)

mexicanjunior
04-11-2012, 10:22 PM
lol that should be on your gravestone, tbh.

Welcome back, MJ!

Believe me...I would have preferred to keep my post count low while watching the Spurs win...:lol

crc21209
04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
I think it's adorable that you still have hope.

:lol Whatever you say....

Keepin' it real
04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Stick with Blair in the starting lineup for now. You can always change that at the very end of the regular season or in the playoffs.

Yeah, because that worked soooo well last season. :rolleyes

cheguevara
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
watch timvp give bonner and blair a B tonight :lmao

timvp
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
timpp

tim pee-pee

:lol Good idea.

acoelho1
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Sorry, this makes no sense. Why should they stick with Blair exactly? Why should we allow Bynum to go off early in the game with turd ball trying to guard him. How about start Splitter and Diaw as the first bigman off the bench. Sure, Pop will not do that but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Obstructed_View
04-11-2012, 10:26 PM
This was classic Phil Jackson strategy, to focus on stopping Parker. Perfectly executed.

DPG21920
What are your real thoughts, timvp

FkLA
Why are people just now realizing Parker isnt a franchise type player? Hes a PG who gets most of his points in the paint and who has an inconsistent jumpshot. He dissapears against these type of defenses all the time. Youre a foo if it took this game for you to realize that.

Ice009
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
-Manu needs to get in top form asap because we cant rely on Parker being our best player. Match Tony up against big physical defenses that clog the lane and he disappears too often for a player whos supposed to be the best on a legit title contender. Scared to attack the rim, 0 FTAs, 4 points. Just pathetic tbh. Makes his performance against Chicago look amazing.

He's like Lebron. He has no confidence in his jumper when the going gets really tough and that is the only option left, he doesn't have the confidence in his jumper to pull the Spurs out of it.

TP hasn't played with heart all season like Danny Green has. Disgusted with TP tonight. He still has a chance to make up for it, but I've seen it one too many times now with TP.

Green, Sjax, Manu consistently bring toughness and heart to each game more so than TP does.

timvp
McBob posterizing Bonner. Pop takes Bonner out. Chews him out. Throws him right back in the game. Gets shitted on again.

Last 4 years in a nutshell.I laughed.

watch timvp give bonner and blair a B tonight :lmaoI laughed again.

Mugen
Pop's gonna look at 13-24 from 3 and think to himself..."More Bonner"

therealtruth

What do you expect? He could play center for us.

wut
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM

My thoughts exactly, and if you can lay blame on anyone outside of Pop's horrible lineups, it has to be Parker.

Parker wasn't interested in trying to test the Lakers front court, he completely gave up on the team and it isn't the first time.

mercos
04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Against LA or Memphis Splitter has to start. If he does not the Spurs can not beat either of them in a seven game series. It really is as simple as that. Even if that happens victory is not assured, as the bigs on those two teams are already well accustomed to playing with each other, whereas Duncan and Splitter are not. The Lakers are a match up nightmare for the Spurs. I am a little less concerned about the Grizzlies as they lost some key pieces from last year.

I have to agree with ElNono on some of his points. Parker's tuuurible night killed the Spurs almost as much as Bynum's rebounding. He has had a few games like that this year where he just refuses to go into the paint. When he does the offense stalls and the Spurs generally lose.

I don't discount Metta World Peace's 26 points, because if Kobe were playing you know he would have gotten those points. He basically made up for lost production. The Lakers bigs may have shot 16-44 from the field, but I could swear half of those misses came on a single offensive rebounding sequence where it seems they tried to tip the ball in for half a quarter. Other than that I thought the Lakers played about as good a game as they possibly could.

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Speaking of which Timvp, are you sure there isn't something else that can be done about Splitter's minutes against teams like this?

Tim having a talk with Pop about the rotations, Tiago bringing some sort of expensive wine as a peace offering, Manu acting as an ambassador? Something? Anything?

The Spurs are only going as far as their bigs, tbh and I've been impressed with Tiago's ability to score and make plays in playoff style games. We're done if we're playing Bonner and Blair ahead of him.

cheguevara
04-11-2012, 10:30 PM
yeah, don't change a thing and spurs get clobbered in the 1st round again. everything needs to change. these 11 game winning streaks have been a mirage. wake up

have you learned nothing from last year?

Mugen
04-11-2012, 10:31 PM
In other news...the Clippers beat OKC.

As bas as this loss was (in it was baaaaaaaaaaad), it doesn't change the seeding.

As timvp, Spurs need to do anything (Anything.) they can to avoid LA at all costs until the WCF.

I thought health was the most important thing in terms of a legit championship run. But it's not. Pop's failure to adjust to LA and Tony obviously scared of their bigs means they aren't getting past LA (healthy or not).

Avoid LA and they have as good a shot as anybody to ring.

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM

As bas as this loss was (in it was baaaaaaaaaaad), it doesn't change the seeding.

As timvp, Spurs need to do anything (Anything.) they can to avoid LA at all costs until the WCF.

I thought health was the most important thing in terms of a legit championship run. But it's not. Pop's failure to adjust to LA and Tony obviously scared of their bigs means they aren't getting past LA (healthy or not).

In theory yes. But they'll have to also avoid Memphis, Chicago, Boston, and Miami as well (among others). That's just not realistic.

emanueldavidginobili
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Wow I had to stop watching that game. I couldnt handle seeing MWP coming down hitting shots non stop. 29% from deep and hes hitting them in his sleep this game, give me a break.
Tony didnt want any part of the paint tonight..He was intimidated by Bynum and knows he likes to give cheap shots, and his shot was so off. Timmy shots just didnt fall..did nothing on the glass. I'll tell you Tiago can play and has nice moves, he just needs minutes!! Manu played with alot of energy tonight, I could tell from the minute he stepped on the floor. He wasn't intimidated by Bynum one bit shots he was taking it right to him trying to attack the rim, and his shots were just not falling and he tried to make some passes happen but just wasnt happening tonight. He just needs to get minutes I know his health is Important and there is 10 games left or whatever but he needs to play and get minutes, in the playoffs were going to need him to be playing heavy minutes and him going hard..hes going to be tired if he doesnt get some solid minutes up to the playoffs. Im anxious to see how he ends up doing against Tony Allen and Kawhi on Gay

Ice009
04-11-2012, 10:36 PM

I'd rather play the Lakers than avoid them. No way will I run scared from another team hoping someone else takes them out.

You want to win it all, YOU gotta take them out yourself.

It's on Pop if he wants to avoid them because he doesn't want to play tall ball.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
In theory yes. But they'll have to also avoid Memphis, Chicago, Boston, and Miami as well (among others). That's just not realistic.

The spurs match up better with all of those teams compared to the lakers.

I honestly like their chances against the above, except maybe Miami.

I thought this Spurs team would match up better against the Lakers but tonight proved that's absolutely not the case. It was the exact type of loss to erase any doubt the Lakers would dominate the Spurs in a playoff series.

I'm the first one to admit that i was wrong about dis matchup and timvp was right.

Bruno
04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
First, I haven't watched the game and I won't.

Second, while Pop shouldn't be overreacting, he should realize that some of his choices haven't worked for the whole season. Blair starting has been a failure for a long time. Pop should take him from the starting lineup and do it as soon as possible to let the new starting lineup some time to gel.

There are some changes to do in the rotation. Even if Pop did it for bad reasons with a panic move, it doesn't mean that theses changes aren't the right moves to do.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Not true.

I'm glad you're still gung ho after this game but Pop's not gonna adjust. Even if he does, it might be too late.

If the Spurs wanna ring this year, they have to avoid LA.

Koolaid_Man
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Bynum 30

Duncan 2

therealtruth
04-11-2012, 10:41 PM
CIA Pop allowing the Lakers to get overconfident.

timvp
04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I'd rather play the Lakers than avoid them. No way will I run scared from another team hoping someone else takes them out.

The Spurs had no answer for the Mavs in 2007 and I didn't shed a tear when the Warriors eliminated them.

The Thunder would probably beat the Lakers. Just gotta make sure those two teams get in the same side of the bracket.

DMC
04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Jackson wasn't skeert because he's been in the shit with Ron Ron before. Jack just doing Jack.

Spurs were destroyed by the Cavs in the regular season in 2007, not so much in the Finals.

DMC
04-11-2012, 10:43 PM
CIA Pop allowing the Lakers to get overconfident.
We just need MWP to get over confident and chuck some 3s.

ElNono
04-11-2012, 10:45 PM
We laid an egg, but it's too late in the game to do anything about it.

Hopefully we can play a solid game against Memphis tomorrow and put this game behind us.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
honestly, the Lakers might not even get out of the 1st round the way they play against everybody else.hi

Pop likes to tank games. After tonight, he should now exactly know how to approach the rest of the regular season.

mytespurs
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Folks, the best team in the WC "Oklahoma Thunder" looked invincible last week against these Lakers/Heat, etc....they've lost 3 in a row recently and lost to the Clippers (Yay! Go Clips)
Spurs were on a 11 game winning streak-it had to end sometime.....spurs may go through a little losing slump but they're playoff bound so if it gets them through the playoffs and a chance at a 5th ring.......this loss may be a blip towards something bigger....
Spurs got their collective a$$es kicked 2night-swallow the bile and move on.....:king

mytespurs
04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
We laid an egg, but it's too late in the game to do anything about it.

Hopefully we can play a solid game against Memphis tomorrow and put this game behind us.

don't be suprised/shocked/dismayed if Spurs lose that one 2morrow-memphis is playing good ball right now.

SpursFaninMS
04-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Agree.

What did this game tell you that you did not already know?

We cannot match up against the Lakers. We probably cannot match up against a healthy Grizzlies team. What have we done this year to prove otherwise?

Tiago getting more pt would help...but I don't think it is enough.

We will beat anyone else in the West.

letmk
04-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I agree 1000% that Tiago needs to play with Tim for us to have a chance to beat the Lakers. But if Tony and Manu are playing like this, it's all moot point.

Say go back to last year's playoffs against the Grizzlies, even Tiago got all the minutes, if the other 2 of big 3 were still playing like that, we still have no chance.

Tim's rebound # is very bad, but he is the only one to at least sort of hold his ground somehow down low. He fought hard on both ends. Except two lazy jump shots in the middle of 3rd quarter, I give Tim a B+. Of course, this is considering what we expect from a 35-year-old Tim. You can't wish him dominate other top center like Bynum anymore.

So this goes back to Tony and Manu. To me, IF we could compete with the Lakers first, then the presence of Tiago might help us get over hump. But with the way Tony and Manu playing, we are not even able to compete.

Ice009
04-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I disagree completely with Timvp about making a lineup change tomorrow.

If Pop actually made the right one last season and started Splitter instead of McDyess the Spurs might have been better off and not spiraled.

If Pop makes a change tomorrow and starts the right player in Splitter, and not something crazy like starting Bonner then that would be a good move IMO.

JRHernandez88
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Holy shit I leave the house for the game and get back to all this? What the hell???? The threads that were 1st page when I left are now 3 pages back? Calm the F DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn yal boys are scary! :td

timvp
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Tbh, I don't put the Grizzlies in the same category as the Lakers. The Grizzlies are big but the Lakers are just ginormous. I think the Spurs can survive against the Grizzlies ... even with Pop's midget ball.

We'll see tomorrow night but I think a healthy Spurs team can beat the Grizzlies in the playoffs.

Basically, I think the Spurs should be favored against everyone in the West except the Lakers and Thunder. The Lakers should be favored over the Spurs. The Spurs and Thunder would be close to 50/50 ... with the team that has HCA getting a small advantage.

Unless the Spurs start to tailspin, all this loss really does is to reaffirm that the Spurs have to avoid the Lakers at all costs. There's no shame in avoiding bad matchups; you don't a bigger trophy if you have the most difficult possible run.

DPG21920
04-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Tbh, I don't put the Grizzlies in the same category as the Lakers. The Grizzlies are big but the Lakers are just ginormous. I think the Spurs can survive against the Grizzlies ... even with Pop's midget ball.

We'll see tomorrow night but I think a healthy Spurs team can beat the Grizzlies in the playoffs.

Basically, I think the Spurs should be favored against everyone in the West except the Lakers and Thunder. The Lakers should be favored over the Spurs. The Spurs and Thunder would be close to 50/50 ... with the team that has HCA getting a small advantage.

Unless the Spurs start to tailspin, all this loss really does is to reaffirm that the Spurs have to avoid the Lakers at all costs. There's no shame in avoiding bad matchups; you don't a bigger trophy if you have the most difficult possible run.

Definite possibility.

Koolaid_Man
04-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Nothing you guys says mean a dam thing...not as long as I have:

Bynum 30

Duncan 2

crc21209
Here's the WTF stat of the night: The night was rounded out with 26, Metta's highest point total since joining the Lakers. :lol Really? Really?

ElNono
don't be suprised/shocked/dismayed if Spurs lose that one 2morrow-memphis is playing good ball right now.

I won't be. But I definitely expect a much better effort than the pansy job they did today. Win or lose.

ElNono
04-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Here's the WTF stat of the night: The night was rounded out with 26, Metta's highest point total since joining the Lakers. :lol Really? Really?

Been saying it... even Lakerfan was shocked

Ice009

So what are you saying? Tank games and start running scared. That's BS IMO.

Keepin' it real
On the plus side, ticket holders may also be melting down ... lower-level tickets for tomorrow's game against Memphis are down to $25 on stubhub.

timvp
04-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Bynum 30

Duncan 2

IMO, 19 to 1 at halftime is better for your cause.

SA210
04-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Oh God, come on. Splitter needs to start. Whether we are playing the Lakers or not, Splitter is the best big man to start next to Duncan. He should have been starting all season long. As well as last year.

letmk
Folks, the best team in the WC "Oklahoma Thunder" looked invincible last week against these Lakers/Heat, etc....they've lost 3 in a row recently and lost to the Clippers (Yay! Go Clips)
Spurs were on a 11 game winning streak-it had to end sometime.....spurs may go through a little losing slump but they're playoff bound so if it gets them through the playoffs and a chance at a 5th ring.......this loss may be a blip towards something bigger....
Spurs got their collective a$$es kicked 2night-swallow the bile and move on.....:king

Losing itself does not necessarily sound a alarm. In this long, intense short-season, you are bound to lose here and there.

But the way of losing makes a world's difference. The Thunder look loke hitting a mentally down time after beating Heat, Lakers, and Bulls to show their competence.

While the Spurs are in full-speed mode (last game notwithstanding), and with the miss of KB, everybody expects a beat down on the Lakers. Instead, the Spurs was never in the game.

More importantly, it's not because we were having a bad shooting night (Granted, the FG% is atrociously low). It's because we have no idea of how to beat their defense. NO IDEA at all, starting with the snake head of Tony's penetration.

On the other end, we also have no answer for Bynum and Gasol at all. Actually on the defense side, we can see that the helper defenders are trying very very hard tonight. (As bad as we got beat tonight, must give players credit for trying to defend in the paint.) Still, we have no answer at all. This is even scary. Because it's not like we are not trying.

On the defense side, at least before Tiago gets 30+ minutes, we can still "dream." Then on offense, when Tony and Manu are showing no signs of being able to create for themselves and teammates (I know Tony have 8 assists tonight, but that's very misleading), we are doomed. Simple as that.

Keepin' it real
So what are you saying? Tank games and start running scared. That's BS IMO.

It would be ironic if the Spurs tanked games at the end of the season to play Memphis.

SpursFaninMS
04-11-2012, 11:05 PM

I'm fine with how we match up against the Thunder.

You dictate the pace, you beat the Thunder. That is hard to do, but there is no one better at doing that than Pop. OKC only has so many ways that they can beat you.

Ice009
First, I haven't watched the game and I won't.

Second, while Pop shouldn't be overreacting, he should realize that some of his choices haven't worked for the whole season. Blair starting has been a failure for a long time. Pop should take him from the starting lineup and do it as soon as possible to let the new starting lineup some time to gel.

There are some changes to do in the rotation. Even if Pop did it for bad reasons with a panic move, it doesn't mean that theses changes aren't the right moves to do.

Exactly Bruno, if you start the right player, then it's a good move IMO.

I prefer Splitter, but would consider Diaw, but he simply fouls too much for my liking. I wouldn't want him out early with foul trouble. It's hard starting Splitter or Diaw because I don't want either in foul trouble which would get Bonner and Blair onto the court.

timvp
Definite possibility.

It's happened before. Especially after losses to the Lakers.

That's why I thought this game was so important. It's horrible timing to have to start rethinking everything.

Let's hope it just makes them more focused . . .

DPG21920
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Look, I've been on LAs bandwagon all year. People lament their "lack of depth and 3 point shooting" but they are so much better in those departments than they get credit for. Guys not playing great does not equal incapable.

Not to mention they still have a top 3 big 3 in the league.

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
It would be ironic if the Spurs tanked games at the end of the season to play Memphis.

Sure but if the plan is to continue playing Bonner and Blair, the tanking strategy would probably backfire.

Ice009
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
The Spurs had no answer for the Mavs in 2007 and I didn't shed a tear when the Warriors eliminated them.

The Thunder would probably beat the Lakers. Just gotta make sure those two teams get in the same side of the bracket.

I have no problem with not playing the Lakers, but I have a problem with doing it on purpose.

Spurs didn't do it on purpose in 2007. Spurs didn't tank to avoid Dallas.

GrandeDavid
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
This game was an absolute nightmare through and through. This one single loss could end up proving devastating. Either that or it'll miraculously bring out the very best in players. I really, truly hope the Spurs can beat Memphis tomorrow night.

Pop is ridiculous not starting Duncan and Splitter together.

JRHernandez88
04-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Our execution was poor, andrew bynum crashed the boards, metta world peace made everything he threw up, next...

DMC
04-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Spurs gave up around the start of the 2nd quarter. Their heart isn't in it. They've already clinched a playoff spot.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Shades of 2001 out there tonight.

I left in the third quarter.

Koolaid_Man
04-11-2012, 11:10 PM
IMO, 19 to 1 at halftime is better for your cause.

That's Cool too...

now

stop drop...shut em down open up shop...that's how ruff ryders roll...

Bynum 30

Duncan 2

Ice009
04-11-2012, 11:12 PM
honestly, the Lakers might not even get out of the 1st round the way they play against everybody else.hi

Pop likes to tank games. After tonight, he should now exactly know how to approach the rest of the regular season.

Forget about the way the Lakers play in the regular season. If their 3 key players and rested and healthy they will be better than they have shown throughout most of the regular season.

Lakers go through the motions in the regular season far too often. They usually play a lot better come playoff time.

timvp
04-11-2012, 11:12 PM
So what are you saying? Tank games and start running scared. That's BS IMO.Whatever it takes to avoid the Lakers. The 1990s Rockets couldn't beat the Sonics and they tanked to get out of their bracket ... and I doubt the Rockets are giving back their two trophies anytime soon.

Oh God, come on. Splitter needs to start. Whether we are playing the Lakers or not, Splitter is the best big man to start next to Duncan. He should have been starting all season long. As well as last year.I've been on the Start Splitter bandwagon since last season. If I thought there was any way in hell Pop would consider making that switch, I'd still be on the bandwagon. But if Pop isn't going to play them at all together tonight, there's absolutely no way he's going to start Duncan/Splitter tomorrow.

Tonight proved again that Pop has been recklessly stupid to not play Duncan and Splitter together enough. But it also proves he's not going to do it. It's just not in the cards.

The Spurs are going to have to find other ways to win even though starting Duncan and Splitter has been the obvious move for 18 months now.

JRHernandez88
04-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Spurs gave up around the start of the 2nd quarter. Their heart isn't in it. They've already clinched a playoff spot.
I was at the game and felt the sameway. Duncan looked into it but Parker just didn't seem to be in the game at all tonight. His body language was just horrible.

I wish our arena was like it used to be though, there was just so much energy for the lakers in the arena tonight and they were feeding off of it.

emanueldavidginobili
04-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I knew the Lakers would be tough, especially with Sessions on the squad and not 56 year old fisher. He puts alot of pressure on TP and the defense he is not afraid to shoot it and is a smart player, but the bigger problem is the Lakers have this guy named Kobe Bryant..This man is hungry for ring number 6. I guarantee he plays on a different level than everyone else during the playoffs. I do not want to play the Lakers. :nope

GrandeDavid
04-11-2012, 11:14 PM
It's happened before. Especially after losses to the Lakers.

That's why I thought this game was so important. It's horrible timing to have to start rethinking everything.

Let's hope it just makes them more focused . . .

You can't coach height and length and the Lakers clearly can exploit the Spurs in that regard. That was an insanely scary rebound differential. Some of the fifth chance points by the Lakers were simply comical. I wish Popovich would simply start Duncan and Splitter from here on out.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Im surprised a national NBA writer hasn't brought up the question.

I understand why the spineless local media doesnt, but national guys never bringing up the question is surprising.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:15 PM
You can't coach height and length and the Lakers clearly can exploit the Spurs in that regard. That was an insanely scary rebound differential. Some of the fifth chance points by the Lakers were simply comical. I wish Popovich would simply start Duncan and Splitter from here on out.

starting those two together isn't the magic wand that you people think it is.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 11:16 PM

I understand why the spineless local media doesnt, but national guys never bringing up the question is surprising.

Too many Tparks in the national/local media is my guess.

Josepatches_
I have no problem with not playing the Lakers, but I have a problem with doing it on purpose.

Spurs didn't do it on purpose in 2007. Spurs didn't tank to avoid Dallas.

You don't have to do it on purpose.

Get the 1st seed. That's all.

It seems OKC and Lakers will be 2nd and 3rd.

If we tank then pretty sure we will play OKC or Lakers in the 2nd round.

GrandeDavid

I just want to see it happen.

SA210
04-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Whatever it takes to avoid the Lakers. The 1990s Rockets couldn't beat the Sonics and they tanked to get out of their bracket ... and I doubt the Rockets are giving back their two trophies anytime soon.
I've been on the Start Splitter bandwagon since last season. If I thought there was any way in hell Pop would consider making that switch, I'd still be on the bandwagon. But if Pop isn't going to play them at all together tonight, there's absolutely no way he's going to start Duncan/Splitter tomorrow.

Tonight proved again that Pop has been recklessly stupid to not play Duncan and Splitter together enough. But it also proves he's not going to do it. It's just not in the cards.

The Spurs are going to have to find other ways to win even though starting Duncan and Splitter has been the obvious move for 18 months now.

Damn this coach needs his head examined.

:pctoss

T Park
Too many Tparks in the national/local media is my guess.

Well reasoned response as usual.

DeadlyDynasty
Not to be a dick, but you guys are a lot more enjoyable to read after a demoralizing loss.:tu

T Park
I just want to see it happen.

Its not, so might as well get over it.

SequSpur
04-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Splitter sucks. Next.

DPG21920
Not to be a dick, but you guys are a lot more enjoyable to read after a demoralizing loss.:tu

Keepin' it real

1. National guys don't care about the Spurs.
2. National guys haven't heard of Tiago, hence the reaction from Steven A. Smith.

SA210

We aren't looking for magic, we want a fighting chance.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Well reasoned response as usual.

Did you high five any laker fans when you quit in the 3rd quarter?

Gutter92
04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Tbh I am more afraid of the Lakers without Kobe than with Kobe...with Kobe, there is always the great chance that he'll take the game into his own hands and chuck them out of it...

Wild Cobra Kai
04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
If Tim gets two rebounds, it doesn't matter if a vintage DRob shows up to play next to him. Tiago got two rebounds too. So, if you start them together, they still suck.

Ice009
Whatever it takes to avoid the Lakers. The 1990s Rockets couldn't beat the Sonics and they tanked to get out of their bracket ... and I doubt the Rockets are giving back their two trophies anytime soon.
I've been on the Start Splitter bandwagon since last season. If I thought there was any way in hell Pop would consider making that switch, I'd still be on the bandwagon. But if Pop isn't going to play them at all together tonight, there's absolutely no way he's going to start Duncan/Splitter tomorrow.

The timing truly does suck in regards to playing teams with size. We didn't get to play Memphis much earlier in the year with Randolph and the Lakers game is late in the season.

Pop yet again never played Splitter and Duncan together and has left it really late. Such a stupid, stupid move not playing them together at all.

T Park
We aren't looking for magic, we want a fighting chance.

No you people think starting those two together will practically solve world peace.

Does it need to be done? Obviously.

Will it? No, and the quicker the people with the high blood pressure just accept it, the healthier.

mexicanjunior
Its not, so might as well prepare for the draft.

fify

silverblk mystix
04-11-2012, 11:21 PM

BRILLIANT!

but when I say this...all the little sheeple go nutz and try to gang up...and question my spurs fanhood...and throw other insults....

TimVP says the same thing and the sheeple love it!!!!

BRILLIANT!!!!

Josepatches_
Tbh I am more afraid of the Lakers without Kobe than with Kobe...with Kobe, there is always the great chance that he'll take the game into his own hands and chuck them out of it...

Agree

T Park
Did you high five any laker fans when you quit in the 3rd quarter?

I quit?

I didnt realize I was playing.

T Park
fify

so you wont be showing up here till june?

T Park
If Tim gets two rebounds, it doesn't matter if a vintage DRob shows up to play next to him.

Your halfway there....

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 11:22 PM

Nobody's talking about running over the league with one simple move. It'll take time for them to get used to each other and they're not a natural fit. That being said, they are 2 of our best players and they need to play together more if the Spurs want any chance of making it to the Finals. Bonner/Blair are not going to cut it.

Since it's obvious now that he's not going to make the move until it's too late, people are coming to grips with that emotionally.

I don't understand why you don't seem to get that...

Damn this coach needs his head examined.

:pctoss

One of the things I find so attractive about Thibs is the fact that he doesn't play Scalabrine over Boozer/Noah/Gibson.

Is there any other coach in the league that does things like this?

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:22 PM
BRILLIANT!

but when I say this...all the little sheeple go nutz and try to gang up...and question my spurs fanhood...and throw other insults....

BRILLIANT!!!!

awww someone's lady parts are sore.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
BRILLIANT!

BRILLIANT!!!!

It might be because his presentation doesn't scream pre-teen girl on her period...

Mugen
I quit?

I didnt realize I was playing.

You pulled a Bonner and left in the 3rd qtr.

T Park
Nobody's talking about running over the league with one simple move. It'll take time for them to get used to each other and they're not a natural fit. That being said, they are 2 of our best players and they need to play together more if the Spurs want any chance of making it to the Finals. Bonner/Blair are not going to cut it.

Since it's obvious now that he's not going to make the move until it's too late, people are coming to grips with that emotionally.

I don't understand why you don't seem to get that...

One of the things I find so attractive about Thibs is the fact that he doesn't play Scalabrine over Boozer/Noah/Gibson.

If Pop had Boozer Noah Gibson, they wouldn't play behind Bonner, but nice reach.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:24 PM
You pulled a Bonner and left in the 3rd qtr.

Im sorry, I didn't realize I was required to sit through more of that shitfest.

mexicanjunior
so you wont be showing up here till june?

Blind optimism isn't a requirement to show up and still watch the games...being realistic about the team's deficiencies is not a move to root against them.

T Park
1. National guys don't care about the Spurs.
2. National guys haven't heard of Tiago, hence the reaction from Steven A. Smith.

Not true
not true.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Blind optimism isn't a requirement to show up and still watch the games...being realistic about the team's deficiencies is not a move to root against them.

Why bother?

You don't think theyll win. Why bother watching?

roycrikside
04-11-2012, 11:25 PM

I can understand why the media won't bring it up, because Pop rules them all. And I can even get why an assistant coach wouldn't broach the subject.

My question to you, L.J., is why Tim, Tony, or Manu haven't said anything to Pop about it. Obviously they're all pretty smart guys, they see what's happening. All I ever hear are platitudes to how great of a coach he is and how much they love playing for him. Are players simply not wired to see what should be happening on the floor strategically, or is no player, even a HOFer, ever allowed to question a coach?

DeadlyDynasty
04-11-2012, 11:26 PM
BRILLIANT!

BRILLIANT!!!!

If you weren't a psychotic, inmate-abusing sadist then people would take you more seriously.

Thems the breaks.

TheSkeptic
If Pop had Boozer Noah Gibson, they wouldn't play behind Bonner, but nice reach.

Yet Bonner still plays ahead of Splitter and Diaw. My point is that he's not playing his best players when he needs to be.

If you're fine with that then that's okay. The rest of us just know where this is likely headed if something doesn't change.

Mugen

How do you know?

His treatment of Splitter would point to the contrary.

DMC
04-11-2012, 11:27 PM
I was at the game and felt the sameway. Duncan looked into it but Parker just didn't seem to be in the game at all tonight. His body language was just horrible.

I wish our arena was like it used to be though, there was just so much energy for the lakers in the arena tonight and they were feeding off of it.

The bandwagon goes on forever. Notice the TWolves don't have the same following? People love bragging rights, even if they have to be squatters to get them.

silverblk mystix
04-11-2012, 11:28 PM
awww someone's lady parts are sore.

I like that...lady parts....lol

Keepin' it real
04-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I believe Pop's soft treatment of his players ("resting" them to avoid injury) contributes to the mental midget syndrome.

mexicanjunior
04-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Why bother?

You don't think theyll win. Why bother watching?

Same reason Bobcat and Hornet games still have thousands of people show up to their arenas. People can still care about the team but realize their chances to win the title are bleak because of the coach's poor decisions (us) or lack of talent (them).

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:29 PM
How do you know?

His treatment of Splitter would point to the contrary.

Seeing as Noah Gibson are both better its still a pathetic reach of a comparison sunshine.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Seeing as Noah Gibson are both better its still a pathetic reach of a comparison sunshine.

:lmao @ Gibson being better than Tiago

Manu20
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Even a blind squirrel sees that Duncan and Splitter NEED to play together....Why does Pop does not see it??:depressed

SA210
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
No you people think starting those two together will practically solve world peace.

Does it need to be done? Obviously.

Will it? No, and the quicker the people with the high blood pressure just accept it, the healthier.

:lol Coming from the guy who left the game in the 3rd quarter. I don't ever wanna hear you criticize me or any others questioning Pop when you can't even support the team passed the 3rd frickin quarter!

:rollin

PublicOption
http://assets.clickmotive.com/Customers/K/KCWSPerformanceToyotaofLaVista/customerImage/SANDBAG1.jpg

DPG21920

:wow Gibson isn't better and Noah is questionable.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Even a blind squirrel sees that Duncan and Splitter NEED to play together....Why does Pop does not see it??:depressed

Splitter 2 rebounds
Blair 4 rebounds

T Park
Yet Bonner still plays ahead of Splitter and Diaw. My point is that he's not playing his best players when he needs to be.

If you're fine with that then that's okay. The rest of us just know where this is likely headed if something doesn't change.

Im not.

TheSkeptic
:wow Gibson isn't better and Noah is questionable.

Actually, I'll argue that Noah's better at rebounding and has more experience.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:33 PM
:lmao @ Gibson being better than Tiago

OOps, i forgot

Tiago >>>>>>> Everyone

sorry to have slipped up there.

Ice009
Don't even bother with EricB.

Did you actually have something to do when you left in the 3rd quarter T-Park. If so, that's cool, but if you left because you quit, why are you even here posting after the game?

All we want is the best chance to win, no one is saying starting Tiago will solve all the problems.

Mugen
Only TPark can go from asking why the national media doesn't question Splitter's lack of PT to proclaiming that Taj Gibson is better in the same thread.

Manu20
Splitter 2 rebounds
Blair 4 rebounds

Did u see the game?? Blair was getting abused on defense out there...

Josepatches_
04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
It seems the only way to avoid one between Lakers and OKC is to be the 1st seed..

If OKC & Lakers are gonna be the best 2 teams of the west outside us then being 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th or 8th you will have to face both teams in the first or second round.

SO we can only be 1st.

Of course if LA defeat OKC we would have to face them anyway if we want to reach the Finals.

Mugen
OOps, i forgot

Tiago >>>>>>> Everyone

Maybe not everyone but i know he's better than Taj fucking Gibson :lmao

T Park
:lol Coming from the guy who left the game in the 3rd quarter. I don't ever wanna hear you criticize me or any others questioning Pop when you can't even support the team passed the 3rd frickin quarter!

:rollin

Yes me sitting there in the 4th quarter would've totally made a difference.

Shut the fuck up.

DPG21920
OOps, i forgot

Tiago >>>>>>> Everyone

No, he's just certainly better than Gibson. That's not to knock Gibson, he's a very good bench big, but come on.

DeadlyDynasty
Hi T Park, I don't believe we've met.

How was your first experience at an NBA game?

TheSkeptic
Im not.

Oh I see. You just figure that the coach is making the best decisions he can.

I would disagree with that but given Pop's accomplishments I can see where you're coming from if that's the case.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Only TPark can go from asking why the national media doesn't question Splitter's lack of PT to proclaiming that Taj Gibson is better in the same thread.

Yeah I can see exactly how one has to do with the other.

T Park
No, he's just certainly better than Gibson. That's not to knock Gibson, he's a very good bench big, but come on.

Two different players, but it wasnt my point.

SA210
Yes me sitting there in the 4th quarter would've totally made a difference.

Shut the fuck up.

Nice choice of words. You're argument makes so much more sense now. band-wagoner..

:lmao

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Oh I see. You just figure that the coach is making the best decisions he can.

I would disagree with that but given Pop's accomplishments I can see where you're coming from if that's the case.

Im not ok with the decisions. I've agreed Splitter should've been starting last year, but me pontificating it over and over on a message board isn't gonna change it.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Nice choice of words. You're argument makes so much more sense now. band-wagoner..

I'm a band wagoner for leaving a 20 point blowout and embarrassment?

Get fucked.

Mugen
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Thibbs would punch a baby if he knew that it all took to get Splitter was Taj fuckig Gibson and a Brian Scalabrine rookie card.

TE
04-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Timvp, so your okay with the current glaring disadvantage at the front court so long the team avoids the Lakers (and Grizzlies)? IMO, a BIG change up has to occur which would require the said unnecessary "shakeup" from Pop.

I believe if the Spurs are to do anything, you must play Splitter more than 15 mins... ESPECIALLY considering the opposition. Considering Pops consistent hard on with the current rotation and the almost inevitable matchup with either Memphis or LAL, panick is certainly warranted here.

This looks like last year all over again.

Ice009
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM

Scalabrine is actually the best player in the NBA. He's the one that tells Thibs that he will not play unless he sees a challenge worth getting up from the bench for. He's so far ahead of everyone else, even Lebron, that he won't get up off the bench. If the Bulls are down 50 against the Heat in game 7, then he might get up off the bench and tell Thibs he is going to play, and show everyone just how good he really is. The challenge just isn't big enough right now for him. The NBA is a little too easy for him in a regular game with nothing to prove ;).

SA210
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Im not ok with the decisions. I've agreed Splitter should've been starting last year, but me pontificating it over and over on a message board isn't gonna change it.

And you pontificating over and over about fans who continue to question Pop won't change things either. So Goodbye..

SA210
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm a band wagoner for leaving a 20 point blowout and embarrassment?

Get fucked.

It's not the first time you have given up on your team, do i need to remind people?

T Park
Don't even bother with EricB.

Did you actually have something to do when you left in the 3rd quarter T-Park. If so, that's cool, but if you left because you quit, why are you even here posting after the game?

All we want is the best chance to win, no one is saying starting Tiago will solve all the problems.

Yes I had to take my wife who wasn't feeling well home.

Im such a horrible fan.

I understand, but again, you guys are beating your heads against a virtual wall.

Koolaid_Man
Bynum 30

Duncan 2

Say it with me:

TimPP

Tim Pee Pee

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Timvp, so your okay with the current glaring disadvantage at the front court so long the team avoids the Lakers (and Grizzlies)? IMO, a BIG change up has to occur which would require the said unnecessary "shakeup" from Pop.

I believe if the Spurs are to do anything, you must play Splitter more than 15 mins... ESPECIALLY considering the opposition. Considering Pops consistent hard on with the current rotation and the almost inevitable matchup with either Memphis or LAL, panick is certainly warranted here.

This looks like last year all over again.

Outside of LA, they aren't at a disadvantage to anyone.

Back off the ledge.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:42 PM
It's not the first time you have given up on your team, do i need to remind people?

Go ahead, then what?

Do you get a crown for poster of the year?

You get some kind of monetary bonus?

Go ahead and pin that feather in your hat there chief cause clearly it makes you feel better.

Ice009
04-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes I had to take my wife who wasn't feeling well home.

Im such a horrible fan.

I understand, but again, you guys are beating your heads against a virtual wall.

Far enough. That is why I asked. I thought there might be another reason you left early.

It's just frustrating with Pop and his rotations.

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Gotcha. :toast

Scalabrine is actually the best player in the NBA. He's the one that tells Thibs that he will not play unless he sees a challenge worth getting up from the bench for. He's so far ahead of everyone else, even Lebron, that he won't get up off the bench. If the Bulls are down 50 against the Heat in game 7, then he might get up off the bench and tell Thibs he is going to play, and show everyone just how good he really is. The challenge just isn't big enough right now for him. The NBA is a little too easy for him in a regular game with nothing to prove ;).

Well when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense.

TE
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Outside of LA, they aren't at a disadvantage to anyone.

Back off the ledge.

Memphis?

& ... This ain't even considering how inconsistent Blair plays and the well-known late game failure tendencies of Bonner. Are you more for what is expected production or would you rather attempt to experiment with Splitter. Common sense tells me the latter, trying something over and over again with failed results when they count makes someone a fucking lunatic tbh.

**that ledge can't seem any closer

SA210
04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Go ahead, then what?

Do you get a crown for poster of the year?

You get some kind of monetary bonus?

Go ahead and pin that feather in your hat there chief cause clearly it makes you feel better.

Nah, just proves you are full of shit

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Far enough. That is why I asked. I thought there might be another reason you left early.

It's just frustrating with Pop and his rotations.

I honestly didnt think leaving an embarrassing effort ed game was that big of a deal, but since you asked I figured an honest answer was needed.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Nah, just proves you are full of shit

So?

What if I am? Then what?

Again do you get a fiesta medal for that or something?

Koolaid_Man
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Anyone Care to discuss PER Tonight

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Memphis?

& ... This ain't even considering how inconsistent Blair plays and the well-known late game failure tendencies of Bonner. Are you more for what is expected production or would you rather attempt to experiment with Splitter. Common sense tells me the latter, trying something over and over again with failed results when they count makes someone a fucking lunatic tbh.

**that ledge can't seem any closer

I just think with what Memphis lost in the off season and didnt add along with what the Spurs have added has negated the advantages Memphis had in the playoffs.

Gasol and Randolph are a problem, but theres no longer a Arthur or Battier or Vasquez.

DrSteffo
04-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Their starting C seems to be a bit taller than our starting C? But I guess that as long as Bonner keeps hitting those 3s in the playoffs we will dominate there again. After all Pop is a genious and he is of course always right even when he is wrong.

Crazymaddopeyo
04-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Still lurking, Chad?

Johnny RIngo
04-12-2012, 01:02 AM
just need some greg williams defense on those bynum knees

We need to sign a scrub and have him pull a Juwan Howard on Bynum to take him out of the playoffs entirely.

rmt
04-12-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm glad Spurs got embarrassed last night and if Pop doesn't start playing TD and Splitter together, I hope they get pounded by MEM tomorrow and by LAL in the remaining 2 games. Maybe then, it'll sink into his skull that they NEED to play together. You'd think that a man who coached the Twin Towers and conceded that Blair/Bonner is a mistake (in the 4th game of the series no less) against big front lines would learn from his mistakes and have done something about it all season long. Gasol and Bynum and Splitter still only gets 15 minutes - it's like he's an after-thought.

Better late than never ... forget Blair and Bonner's fragile egos, tank to avoid bad match ups and play your best players to give your team a chance to at least compete. Watching this game was like GSW against Duncan in his prime, watching the (as Barkley calls them) "midgets" scrambling around to double team him and knowing they had no chance.

It's ironic that Pop tanked the UTA game to rest up for what turned out to be laying an egg tonight. Shoulda gone for the win in UTA and held on to #1 in the West. Hope he doesn't blame this loss on "lack of competitiveness" etc. instead of his refusal to try and match up with size. Even then, TD and Splitter (with the measly less than 20 mins he's been getting) can't match the (more in the playoffs) 37+ and 35+ mins Gasol/Bynum are used to playing.

And after Kobe's witness this abomination of a game, you can be sure that there's no hope of him going into "hero"/chuck-mode if they meet in the playoffs - no Finals MVP at stake in the West - just pound it into the post.

I liked the fight in Manu, SJAx, Green and maybe, Splitter. Won't comment on the rest of the team.

T Park
04-12-2012, 01:08 AM
I've talked to Chad Forcier about it.

It's now out of my hands. Lol, I theoretically laid a seed there.

MaNu4Tres
04-12-2012, 01:26 AM
I've talked to Chad Forcier about it.

It's now out of my hands. Lol, I theoretically laid a seed there.

T Park speaks truth. Chad gets it. :tu

DJ Mbenga
04-12-2012, 01:40 AM
dont get why pop doesnt play splitter with duncan. i know they fronted and were effective, the lakers just took shots on purpose knowing they would get the misses cause of height and the bigs were on the free throw line fronting.
spurs did a fantastic job of stopping sessions penetration, but not his probing, he had the gasol pick and pop all day. green did a better job, making his job tougher, but if he is on him, jackson on kobe, parker would get absolutely raped by world peace

shorttotry
04-12-2012, 01:40 AM

timpp

tim pee-pee

You're a faggot

shorttotry
04-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Bynum 30

Duncan 2

Fuck you troll

shorttotry
04-12-2012, 01:58 AM
I can say despite all dissappointing aspects of this game, Danny Green really put on a show. The only problem was World Peace and Bynum. And fuck them both.

siraulo23
04-12-2012, 04:15 AM
agreed, all the spurs need to do is avoid lakers and grizzlies in the playoffs and we have a shot...

eric365
04-12-2012, 04:33 AM

I don't understand why people keep talking about Conley or Sessions when it's obvious that it's the bigs (Randolph, Gasol at memphis and Bynum Gasol for the lakers) that are giving problem to Parker.

It has always been that, he has trouble with good shotblocker. Nothing related to the opposing PG

If you think it's Sessions that gave problem to Parker and not Bynum, we have not seen the same game

rascal
04-12-2012, 04:48 AM
The bottom line is the Spurs are weak on the frontline and the lakers exposed that.

SA210
04-12-2012, 04:59 AM
So?

What if I am? Then what?

Again do you get a fiesta medal for that or something?

What about a carnival ride?

jiggy_55
04-12-2012, 05:24 AM

:lol @ the bigger trophy comment.

Good points. We're more equipped to beat Memphis because Diaw has decent enough size to defend him and we don't have to rely solely on Bonner and Blair. But I just don't understand Pop, how much more clearer does it have to be that against two 7 foot big men, he simply HAS to play Duncan and Splitter together? Where the fuck are our assistant coaches in all this mess? If Pop can't see this, one of those pussies has to man up and say something. Even Timmy should go up and tell Pop fuck you and your stupid rotations against LAL, you gotta play me with Splitter against these giants. It's fucking ridiculous! Never seen a coach this stubborn in my life. Again, Pop HAS to play them together, we meet them 2 more times and if he doesn't try it I might just shoot myself.

TJastal
04-12-2012, 06:11 AM

How truly pathetic that it's come down to this. It's not even about panicking anymore it's about saving face. It's too late to incorporate Splitter into the starting lineup. It really truly is. Those two (Tim & Tiago) would need a full year just to get comfortable (should have been last season's accomplishment but I digress).

Now Pop will lose all credibility if he tries a pathetic end of the season last ditch lineup change. Might as well keep the apples on the cart in nice neat rows and hope to hell somebody knocks out LA & Memphis. And probably OKC & Houston too.

TJastal
04-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Pop's love affair with Bon Bon for almost 4 years now is the reason Tiago/Tim aren't playing together, tbh.

Last 4 years in a nutshell.

Genius coaching!

TheSkeptic
04-12-2012, 06:18 AM
How truly pathetic that it's come down to this. It's not even about panicking anymore it's about saving face. It's too late to incorporate Splitter into the starting lineup. It really truly is. Those two (Tim & Tiago) would need a full year just to get comfortable (should have been last season's accomplishment but I digress).

Now Pop will lose all credibility if he tries a pathetic end of the season last ditch lineup change. Might as well keep the apples on the cart in nice neat rows and hope to hell somebody knocks out LA & Memphis. And probably OKC & Houston too.

...And Miami, Chicago, Boston, and probably Denver...

TJastal
04-12-2012, 06:23 AM
I can say despite all dissappointing aspects of this game, Danny Green really put on a show. The only problem was World Peace and Bynum. And fuck them both.

Green must have gotten lucky. I heard it's an inevitable fact that Green really sucks and is going to be replaced in the starting lineup by Manu. It's like, inevitable that it's inevitably going to happen sooner or later.

Russ
04-12-2012, 07:53 AM
The Spurs need to make a big push to finish with the #1 seed and avoid OKC/LA until the Western Finals.

First, it's all about matchups. I think that the Spurs can beat Memphis this year, but not LA, in the playoffs. OKC can beat the Lakers but maybe not the Spurs. It's like '07 all over again when the Spurs couldn't beat Dallas but could beat everyone else. They got lucky and didn't have to face Dallas. This year we need OKC to take care of LA.

Second, a concerted push at the end of the season will build momentum going into the playoffs -- as opposed to last year's disatrous "controlled retreat" which not only didn't achieve the goal of avoiding injuries but also sapped the team's enthusiam leading into the postseason. (In fact, Manu's injury came in the next game after he sat out a game as did injuries to Duncan and TP late in the season.)

This year the tea leaves are looking equally ominous . . .

Pop sits the Big 3 on an 11 game winning streak against Portland.

Result?

Spurs lose 4 of 6.

Pop sits the Big 3 on an 11 game winning streak against Utah.

Result?

Spurs lose 2 straight (and counting).

Come on Pop, no one wins anything by going into a shell. Go for it and let the chips fall where they may (and play Splitter more too, BTW).

DMC
04-12-2012, 09:13 AM
The team has done what I said the team would do. They are who I thought they were. They are not built to win a ring, just to sell tickets in San Antonio. It's good management. Once Tim's salary is cut, there will be cap space for more talent, but the Spurs will never be backfilled like the Lakers. No team in the league is. You might as well be bitching about the Yankees.

Mark in Austin
04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Let's be honest. The Lakers team that played the Spurs last night is NOT the one they would face in the playoffs. Artest and Bynum will not get the touches they got last night when Kobe is playing. I firmly believe the Spurs matchup better against the Lakers when Kobe is on the court dominating the ball and taking 18 shots to get 22 pts.

TJastal
04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Let's be honest. The Lakers team that played the Spurs last night is NOT the one they would face in the playoffs. Artest and Bynum will not get the touches they got last night when Kobe is playing. I firmly believe the Spurs matchup better against the Lakers when Kobe is on the court dominating the ball and taking 18 shots to get 22 pts.

How is that going to help the spurs in the paint? Kobe or no Kobe that's where the spurs got butchered last night.

ChumpDumper
04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Let's be honest. The Lakers team that played the Spurs last night is NOT the one they would face in the playoffs. Artest and Bynum will not get the touches they got last night when Kobe is playing. I firmly believe the Spurs matchup better against the Lakers when Kobe is on the court dominating the ball and taking 18 shots to get 22 pts.I guess we can hope that. Bynum will still be rebounding and defending.

Proxy
04-12-2012, 11:17 AM

So all of our hopes lie on Kobe and Gay taking touches away from the bigs...:(

Spurs7794
04-12-2012, 11:32 AM

I'm starting to think that the whole "Bonner spaces the floor" bullshit Pop preaches is completely predicated on Tony Parker being a complete bitch. Seeing as Tony wouldn't even venture into the paint when there is a competent big man in there, Pop obviously realizes that Matt Bonner has to be out there to atleast give the notion that he is spreading the floor to prevent Tony from flaking out like he did last night.

Of course this doesn't explain Dejaun Blair starting. Pop and Parker are wearing on me.

therealtruth
04-12-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm starting to think that the whole "Bonner spaces the floor" bullshit Pop preaches is completely predicated on Tony Parker being a complete bitch. Seeing as Tony wouldn't even venture into the paint when there is a competent big man in there, Pop obviously realizes that Matt Bonner has to be out there to atleast give the notion that he is spreading the floor to prevent Tony from flaking out like he did last night.

Of course this doesn't explain Dejaun Blair starting. Pop and Parker are wearing on me.

I agree.

TimmehC
04-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Doesn't mater when you're out-rebounded by 27.

z0sa
04-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Any Spurs fan who can't recognize the Lakers are by faaaaaaaaaaar the worst matchup for the Spurs in the playoffs (in the West, at least) needs to return their fandom card and go find another sport, tbh.

Personally, I didn't think LA was that bad of a matchup because of how huge the Spurs' quickness advantage is on the perimeter. I thought TP and Manu would be more than willing to meet the bigs at the basket as well as dance past them on high pick and rolls. Yet not a single Spur tested the inside consistently.

Not only that, they acted like fouling Bynum a few times hard when he was going off, whether it be for an offensive board or a shot, was some kind of taboo. Thanks Pop for not stepping up and demanding the Spurs beat the shit out of him. Knock that kid to the ground to the few times and try to get in his head maybe - we're already being blown out at home and embarrassed by Bynum almost single handedly. Nothing like it happened, though.

No one could have reasonably predicted such a huge meltdown and a complete lack of balls on the part of the Spurs. Particularly TP. I concede LA is the worst matchup but there's 7 other almost equally bad matchups out West with the Big 3 playing with their tails between their legs. In fact, outside of a few plays by Captain Jax and Danny Green, the entire team looked ready to concede the game from the very first possession.

z0sa
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
and playing Splitter 15 minutes is utterly unforgivable. And the Big 3 not playing well after being held out vs the Jazz is just as utterly deflating. What a shitty loss this really was.

Poolboy5623
04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Wow, some of you shouldn't even post. I mean seriously....the Spurs "are who we thought they were"....thats the best way to sum it up- Ive enjoyed watching them beat up on lesser opponents, but that all ends come playoff time(as last night showed us)...and then to think the Spurs will have a better chance w/ Kobe playing?? WOW LOOOL!!! Everyone plays off the concern with Memphis and LA, when in reality the Spurs are going to struggle with any of the teams. If Dallas gets the 8 we could see a repeat of what happend last year w/ Memphis...anyone that thinks differently needs to remove the homer goggles.

I will say this: Pop must be the only idiotic coach in the NBA that:
a) Rests his stars consistently, even when healthy and fighting for playoff position...these guys are million dollar athletes that do this for a living! Seems kind of odd that Pop understands they need to be healthy to do anything in the postseason but doesnt get that he needs both bigs on the floor together! WTF? Splitter was the only guy out there last night that could play any effective D inside(and that includes Timmy)!
b) Wont put his best players on the floor together when they need to be...not playing Tiago with Timmy is like MBrown putting Gasol on the bench..and starting MCroberts because hes concerned who will play the paint when Bynum rests. Its painfully obvious to everyone that watches the team but Pop?? If I was a player on the Spurs theres no way I could keep myself from saying SOMETHING!? Whats wrong with these people? Noone wants to admit it but the bottom line is the Spurs won titles when Timmy was their BEST player...he hasnt been in a long time..well, since 2007(go figure). Unfortunetly they are not gonna win with an old/slow Tim doing it all by himself in the paint. Blair/Bonner are a JOKE at best...Diaw is weak and Pops ego is too big to play Splitter. THE END.

DMC
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Doesn't mater when you're out-rebounded by 27.
As I've explained in my book "Why the Spurs Lost, a Voyage Into the Unknown", when Kobe chucks bricks, they are long rebounds. When Bynum or Pau misses, it's at the rim and that hopping, tipping (which is where a lot of the rebounds came from) shit adds up.

We were beaten by the output of MWP. Kevin Love gets 30 points 30 boards, no one gives a shit. Bynum gets 16 and 30 and it's Wilt like.

That sequence of possessions in the 3rd where Duncan settled for long jumpshots and clanked shot after shot really put us in a hole. The Lakers didn't put 120pts on us. They didn't even break 100. We just couldn't score the ball.

Poolboy5623
04-12-2012, 04:52 PM
As I've explained in my book "Why the Spurs Lost, a Voyage Into the Unknown", when Kobe chucks bricks, they are long rebounds. When Bynum or Pau misses, it's at the rim and that hopping, tipping (which is where a lot of the rebounds came from) shit adds up.

We were beaten by the output of MWP. Kevin Love gets 30 points 30 boards, no one gives a shit. Bynum gets 16 and 30 and it's Wilt like.

That sequence of possessions in the 3rd where Duncan settled for long jumpshots and clanked shot after shot really put us in a hole. The Lakers didn't put 120pts on us. They didn't even break 100. We just couldn't score the ball.

So, the Spurs cant stop MWP, but should be ok when Kobe is on the floor clanking shots?? Im sorry, but this is wishful thinking and unlikely. Kobe typically plays some of his best ball against the Spurs...you can count on it. Besides that, LA can play alot better...you even said yourself they didnt even score 100. They missed alot of easy baskets and had the refs against them all night- That wont happen in the playoffs.

silverblk mystix
04-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow, some of you shouldn't even post. I mean seriously....the Spurs "are who we thought they were"....thats the best way to sum it up- Ive enjoyed watching them beat up on lesser opponents, but that all ends come playoff time(as last night showed us)...and then to think the Spurs will have a better chance w/ Kobe playing?? WOW LOOOL!!! Everyone plays off the concern with Memphis and LA, when in reality the Spurs are going to struggle with any of the teams. If Dallas gets the 8 we could see a repeat of what happend last year w/ Memphis...anyone that thinks differently needs to remove the homer goggles.

I will say this: Pop must be the only idiotic coach in the NBA that:
a) Rests his stars consistently, even when healthy and fighting for playoff position...these guys are million dollar athletes that do this for a living! Seems kind of odd that Pop understands they need to be healthy to do anything in the postseason but doesnt get that he needs both bigs on the floor together! WTF? Splitter was the only guy out there last night that could play any effective D inside(and that includes Timmy)!
b) Wont put his best players on the floor together when they need to be...not playing Tiago with Timmy is like MBrown putting Gasol on the bench..and starting MCroberts because hes concerned who will play the paint when Bynum rests. Its painfully obvious to everyone that watches the team but Pop?? If I was a player on the Spurs theres no way I could keep myself from saying SOMETHING!? Whats wrong with these people? Noone wants to admit it but the bottom line is the Spurs won titles when Timmy was their BEST player...he hasnt been in a long time..well, since 2007(go figure). Unfortunetly they are not gonna win with an old/slow Tim doing it all by himself in the paint. Blair/Bonner are a JOKE at best...Diaw is weak and Pops ego is too big to play Splitter. THE END.

but...but...

4 rings?

Pop is the greatest coach in the game...who else are you gonna replace him with?....CIA Pop...pop is waiting for the playoffs....

smh

TD 21
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Anyone who even attempted to pretend otherwise has zero credibility . . . but that was obvious before last night's game.

-Danny Green earned a starting spot going into the playoffs going into the playoffs.He did not, because there's nothing he can to do earn it. It's past time they re-insert Ginobili back into the starting lineup and stop babying him, with this never get within' sniffing distance of 30 minutes nonsense. Green should absolutely be the third guard, though.

-Stephen Jackson was one of the few who didn't get scared.This is true. I've had enough with trying and failing to match-up with their bigs. Aside from playing Duncan and Splitter a combined 70 or so minutes against them, which is obviously not going to happen, it's time to try something radical, because that's the only other chance at beating this team in a series, since the Spurs clearly still don't believe they can beat them.

Put Jackson on Gasol for stretches, mix up the coverages on him and force them to match-up with a four who can make plays. Isolate Jackson some on Gasol and also put him in some pick-and-rolls against him, as the ball handler. The Warriors did this to them a few weeks ago and damn near beat them (granted, this was with Bynum sitting down the stretch; but still, it clearly threw them off, someone going small on them) and this was without their two best players. Jackson is tough enough mentally to not be defeated beforehand, which is key.

A few other thoughts . . .

- So much for that rest paying off. I'm not surprised it not only didn't pay off, but probably threw off their rhythm. If resting them short term doesn't pay off, then what chance does it have of doing so three weeks later?

- A beyond disgraceful performance. Even though his inexplicable rotation didn't help, he should have absolutely lost it on them after the game, both privately and publicly. They deserved to have their manhood questioned, the whole nine.

- If it was possible for the Lakers confidence against them to grow, it just did. I'd say they diminished their own confidence against them, but it was abundantly clear they have none. I have no idea why they're still terrified of this team, but they are. Their record isn't great and they almost never win easy, so don't give me this "their size is too much". Evidently, it's not for the rest of the league.

DMC
04-12-2012, 05:55 PM
but...but...

4 rings?

Pop is the greatest coach in the game...who else are you gonna replace him with?....CIA Pop...pop is waiting for the playoffs....

smh
You've never answered those questions. Any moron can bitch. Offer an alternative that makes sense.

TheSkeptic
04-12-2012, 06:00 PM
You've never answered those questions. Any moron can bitch. Offer an alternative that makes sense.

Don't know if it isn't obvious but I'm a big fan of Thibs. Really big in fact. In a lot of respects he's like the Pop I wish Pop still was. Though if Pop would fix the rotation I wouldn't have any problems with him.