PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will burn the tape and move on

ElNono
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
When you hang your hat on offense and that works against 80% of the league, that's all you can do. There's no fallback, no net, and no plan B.

We're a mere week and a half away from entering the playoffs, and there's simply no time to rearrange anything. Blair will probably start. Bonner will probably be the first guy off the bench. Splitter will play when Tim doesn't.

You might agree or not with any and all that, but at this stage it's what we're rolling with. There's simply no time for anything else.

Spurs da champs
04-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Then no chance of beating Grizz/Lakers, as simple as that.

Reck
04-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Keep it for inspiration.

ElNono
04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Then no chance of beating Grizz/Lakers, as simple as that.

Lakers don't concern me as much. A fluke game isn't going to change my mind.

Legacy
04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
True, but someone (or a bunch of people) still need to pull Pops' head out of his old & crusty arse. He is, and will ALWAYS be his OWN worst enemy. Period.

TheSkeptic
04-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Wasn't really a fluke though. There were quite a few of us calling this a bad match-up immediately when we first started seeing those rotations.

Spurs da champs
04-11-2012, 11:55 PM

The rebounding is obviously a problem, poor rebounding= losing in the playoffs. And Bynum-Gasol didn't even have good shooting nights, which makes it even worse.

ElNono
Wasn't really a fluke though. There were quite a few of us calling this a bad match-up immediately when we first started seeing those rotations.

Career high points for Artest as a Laker
Career high rebounds for Bynum
Worst game of the season for Tony

Fluke as they come. But feel free to disagree.

Spurs da champs

He views the Lakers as a non-threat still even tho the Spurs got decimated by there size because of Pop's inability to play Splitter with Duncan.

T Park
04-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Lakers yes

Grizzlies? No.

BTW, if Gasol is gonna jack up 24 footers all night, your damn right he's gonna shoot badly.

It was like his attitude was "No kobe, Im gonna jack shit up everywhere and see how much I can piss him off"

Spurs da champs
04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Career high points for Artest as a Laker
Career high rebounds for Bynum
Worst game of the season for Tony

Fluke as they come. But feel free to disagree.

What about the last 4-5 games Timmy hasn't done shit against Gasol-Bynum.
It's funny also that the guys you always expect to suck ass always light up the Spurs, it's a bad trend, huh?
Tony played exactly like this against the Grizzlies, not good.

ElNono
04-11-2012, 11:58 PM
The rebounding is obviously a problem, poor rebounding= losing in the playoffs. And Bynum-Gasol didn't even have good shooting nights, which makes it even worse.

Spurs have done a good job rebounding throughout the season. They laid a turd tonight. Frankly, Bynum never ever rebounded like this. Not even against even smaller frontlines.

But as I said on the OP, what do you do at this point? Pop isn't going to trot Splitter 30mpg at this stage in the season.

PublicOption
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Don't you understand Pop wants to win tomorrow.

letmk
04-11-2012, 11:59 PM

Agreed. They didn't play an out-of-mind game at all. Besides World Peace, nobody else had a hot-hand.

Spurs da champs
04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Lakers yes

Grizzlies? No.

BTW, if Gasol is gonna jack up 24 footers all night, your damn right he's gonna shoot badly.

It was like his attitude was "No kobe, Im gonna jack shit up everywhere and see how much I can piss him off"

Well the Grizzlies now look complete & they still got Mayo, Randolph off the bench. Also I've underestimated Speights, he's playing pretty well for them, they're still a scary team. A series against them would just ware the Spurs out like last time, as it will be a really physical long series.

ElNono
04-12-2012, 12:01 AM
What about the last 4-5 games Timmy hasn't done shit against Gasol-Bynum.
It's funny also that the guys you always expect to suck ass always light up the Spurs, it's a bad trend, huh?
Tony played exactly like this against the Grizzlies, not good.

Well, teams leave MWP wide open on a consistent basis. You can see it every Lakers game. They use his guy to double Bynum. And Artest has been shooting 40% from 2 and 30% from 3... If he shots 50%+, then you have to tip your hat and move on.

Tim struggling isn't surprising. Tony playing like shit is certainly worrying. But again, what can you do about Tony this late in the game?

TheSkeptic
04-12-2012, 12:02 AM
He views the Lakers as a non-threat still even tho the Spurs got decimated by there size because of Pop's inability to play Splitter with Duncan.

Well, I've been trying to resign myself to the fact that it's not happening until we're facing elimination.

But after seeing the way Splitter has been toughing it out against teams like Boston, Utah, LAL, and then comparing that to Bonner and Blair's production...I just feel like he could help us score points when we're stuck against some of these teams.

If this is the plan for the post-season then we're done.

Even if they somehow make it to the finals, they won't beat Miami/Chicago or even Boston playing Blair and Bonner over Diaw and Splitter.

Bruno
04-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Disagree. IMO Pop will change the starting lineup to go with Parker/Green/Jackson/Diaw/Duncan.

ElNono
04-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Plus I'll add that Tony and/or Manu sucking isn't going to be fixed by adding two 7 footers...

TheSkeptic
04-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Plus I'll add that Tony and/or Manu sucking isn't going to be fixed by adding two 7 footers...

Sure but not being outrebounded by one guy would do a lot to even things up.

ElNono
04-12-2012, 12:06 AM

I disagree. Our offense killed us. And that's all we have.

T Park
04-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Well the Grizzlies now look complete & they still got Mayo, Randolph off the bench. Also I've underestimated Speights, he's playing pretty well for them, they're still a scary team. A series against them would just ware the Spurs out like last time, as it will be a really physical long series.

it might WEAR them out, but if the Spurs are healthy the Spurs take it in 6.

Guys like Battier, Vazquez and Arthur were the reasons they beat the Spurs, and they arent there.

IMO their depth isn't as good as it was last year.

ElNono
Sure but not being outrebounded by one guy would do a lot to even things up.

If you put the ball in the basket, there's nothing to rebound.

People that think Pop cares about defense and rebounding are still in denial.

I'm a big fan of defense and Tim/Splitter. But it's not happening. It won't be happening.

T Park
Disagree. IMO Pop will change the starting lineup to go with Parker/Green/Jackson/Diaw/Duncan.

I could go to battle with that.

T Park
04-12-2012, 12:09 AM
If you put the ball in the basket, there's nothing to rebound.

People that think Pop cares about defense and rebounding are still in denial.

I'm a big fan of defense and Tim/Splitter. But it's not happening. It won't be happening.

He hasn't gone full D'Antoni like you think, but he's not what he used to be agreed.

Somewhere in between.

angelbelow
When you hang your hat on offense and that works against 80% of the league, that's all you can do. There's no fallback, no net, and no plan B.

We're a mere week and a half away from entering the playoffs, and there's simply no time to rearrange anything. Blair will probably start. Bonner will probably be the first guy off the bench. Splitter will play when Tim doesn't.

You might agree or not with any and all that, but at this stage it's what we're rolling with. There's simply no time for anything else.

Well said, I agree 100%

TBH, I should be surprised that Pop didn't try Splitter/Duncan tonight, but I'm not. His rotation is pretty set, and has been for months. Even in games where players sit, he keeps everyone else's minutes pretty close.

For the record, I thought Bonner and Splitter were our two most effective bigs tonight. Bonner did his job and provided his usual goods. The only negative is that he played too much and got way too exposed.

Splitter was solid. He was soft here and there but overall, he played with physicality and defended Bynum the best. They need to surround him with some rebounders though.

Spurs da champs

No but it will defiantly help slow down Bynum & Gasol.

Also it's not like Bynum rebounds poorly against the Spurs the last time they played us in SA he had 17 boards as well. Rebounding against there size is obviously a problem, you'd be fucking nuts for saying rebounding against the Lakers isn't a problem because it obviously has been in the recent match ups.

Again poor rebounding=another embarrassing elimination in the PO's.

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2012, 12:10 AM
-The bigs shot poorly.
-Kobe didn't play
-Spurs home game (not coming off a b2b)
-Blowout

Spurs da champs
04-12-2012, 12:13 AM
it might WEAR them out, but if the Spurs are healthy the Spurs take it in 6.

Guys like Battier, Vazquez and Arthur were the reasons they beat the Spurs, and they arent there.

IMO their depth isn't as good as it was last year.

Trust me I know, but they're obviously getting there shit together at the right time. Their bench isn't as bad as you would think tho.

Spurs da champs
04-12-2012, 12:14 AM
-The bigs shot poorly.
-Kobe didn't play
-Blowout

I know it was a fucking pathetic loss, but hey we got a D'Antoni wannabe...:rolleyes

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2012, 12:17 AM
I know it was a fucking pathetic loss, but hey we got a D'Antoni wannabe...:rolleyes

Very true. The Spurs also shot a blistering 13-24 from downtown, had 5 less turnovers, shot only 3 less FT's, had favorable calls, and no Spur was in foul trouble.

It was just a massacre.

Trainwreck2100
04-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Very true. The Spurs also shot a blistering 13-24 from downtown, had 5 less turnovers, shot only 3 less FT's, had favorable calls, and no Spur was in foul trouble.

It was just a massacre.

congrats on not wasting the only game where bynum and blake, that's right i said blake didn't play like shit. Blake didn't play like shit

ElNono
04-12-2012, 12:19 AM
No but it will defiantly help slow down Bynum & Gasol.

Also it's not like Bynum rebounds poorly against the Spurs the last time they played us in SA he had 17 boards as well. Rebounding against there size is obviously a problem, you'd be fucking nuts for saying rebounding against the Lakers isn't a problem because it obviously has been in the recent match ups.

Again poor rebounding=another embarrassing elimination in the PO's.

I'm not disagreeing, but you're not reading what I'm typing. This team hangs it's hat on offense. When you put the ball in the basket, there's no rebounds to be had. That's what this Spurs put all their chips in. It's not just the Lakers they're going to struggle against if they shoot as poorly from the floor as they did tonight.

Spurfan has been accustomed to see this team shot 60%+. An "average" night is 50%. When you shoot 40%, we're going to lose more than we're going to win. Too late in the game now to try to build some defense to fall back to.

Juventini
04-12-2012, 12:20 AM
You kinda know the game was done when Tony and Duncan keeps chucking a mid-range shots during the third quarter.
Duncan was probably get intimidated by Bynum and Gasol lenght and size. Usually when the opponents were on their run, Duncan would turned his back to the basket and tried to get something out of it; bank shot, foul call, etc. However, the past few seasons when we lost to the Lakers, it was always in the same manner. One of the big three tried to take jump shot to get the team back on their own instead of moving the ball and play spurs ball.
They have to realize that other players on our team is capable of stepping up and provide offensive game. The big 3 need to realize that they are not superstars anymore and instead of stagnant the offense and try to get their own shot, move the ball around until someone is opened.

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
congrats on not wasting the only game where bynum and blake, that's right i said blake didn't play like shit. Blake didn't play like shit

Thanks, congrats on wasting a game where Danny Green looked like Rex Chapman against the Sonics.

ElNono
04-12-2012, 12:21 AM
-The bigs shot poorly.
-Kobe didn't play
-Blowout

Spurs shot poorly from the floor though.

Juggity
04-12-2012, 12:22 AM
It was just a massacre.

Imagine how much more difficult it will be for the Lakers to win once Kobe gets back to chucking his way up the all time scoring list :lol

Trainwreck2100
04-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks, congrats on wasting a game where Danny Green looked like Rex Chapman against the Sonics.

actually meant to say artest and not bynum tbh. He looked good against miami and they lost that one too.

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2012, 12:28 AM
The important thing about this game is that the Spurs still realize who Daddy is.

Spurs da champs
04-12-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm not disagreeing, but you're not reading what I'm typing. This team hangs it's hat on offense. When you put the ball in the basket, there's no rebounds to be had. That's what this Spurs put all their chips in. It's not just the Lakers they're going to struggle against if they shoot as poorly from the floor as they did tonight.

Spurfan has been accustomed to see this team shot 60%+. An "average" night is 50%. When you shoot 40%, we're going to lose more than we're going to win. Too late in the game now to try to build some defense to fall back to.

Well expecting to win like that in the PO's isn't going to work.

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2012, 12:31 AM

/thread.

ElNono
04-12-2012, 12:37 AM

I agree.

ElNono
04-12-2012, 07:55 PM
bump

pgardn
04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
People who can already see ahead should help me at the races.

Uhhh... Lets count then number of people who chose Dallas to win the championship BEFORE the playoffs. Give me a thread to refer to. I want this person charting our countries path. Dallas took it with one of the slowest PG in the league who happened to play like a new man during the playoffs.

I want to see the post BEFORE the playoffs explaining how Dallas' help defense would be super effective and they would move the ball while penetrating and hit a huge number of 3's. Oh yes, the dreaded 3 that killed us because thats all we could do.

Danny.Zhu
04-12-2012, 08:32 PM
just burn another tape...and another one...

Spurs Brazil
04-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Spurs should burn the Turd Towers instead