PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Spurs still intimidated by the Lakers?

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Phil ain't there no mo...

Snaq O'Meal
04-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Phil ain't there no mo...

But Pop is still here.

Bynumite
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Now it's the thought of the student becoming the master that haunts paranoid Pop :lmao

Mugen
04-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice day to go fishing, bruh.

Leetonidas
04-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I wonder this myself. They looked scared. I thought the Spurs would've gotten up for the first meeting against them. Maybe it had to do with Kobe not playing, maybe Tony was beating pussy too hard the night before and didn't wanna get slammed to the ground around the basket...all I know is they looked defeated out there as soon as that lead went over 15, they pretty much gave up.

cheguevara
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
tbh they also look scared vs. the Grizz and Bulls and Heat

LongtimeSpursFan
04-12-2012, 10:55 AM

Arent we like 3-0 versus Grizzlies this year. Bulls game was pretty close.

cheguevara
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Arent we like 3-0 versus Grizzlies this year. Bulls game was pretty close.

healthy grizz. healthy bulls.

acoelho1
04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
How does having a bad a game equate tobeing intimidated. The Lakers has had some really bad losses this year to bad teams. Were they intimidated?

If there is one lesson to take away from this game is that the duo of Blair/Bonner guarding elite bigs will not work and if we plan to make a deep run in the playoffs, Pop has got to insert Splitter in the starting lineup and give him 30 plus mins a night. He is treating Splitter like he is as old as Duncan.

Proxy
04-12-2012, 11:22 AM

That's BS. I was at the Bulls game. Spurs have beat Mem every time this season, and were up by 20 on the Heat until Lebron played to his max.

Only against the Lakers last night were Parker and Duncan playing out of their comfort zone due to being Bynum's bitches. Don't try and romanticize this loss as some trend against good teams.

JRHernandez88
04-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Do all the laker fans in the building have something to do with it? Must be deflating as F to hear all the cheers for the opposing team on your home court. Pisses me off but ah well they're professionals I suppose.

Venti Quattro
04-12-2012, 12:35 PM
If you're a player and you're so worried about the crowd, you should go back to the D-League.

ElNono
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Just a bad game IMO.

Coasting, CIA Pop, per par, etc

Non-Issue

rmt
04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
That's BS. I was at the Bulls game. Spurs have beat Mem every time this season, and were up by 20 on the Heat until Lebron played to his max.

Only against the Lakers last night were Parker and Duncan playing out of their comfort zone due to being Bynum's bitches. Don't try and romanticize this loss as some trend against good teams.

Then, isn't it disturbing that they were up by 20 (14 IIRC - I was at that game) and still lost the game by 30? That's a 44 point swing in less than a half. MEM losses were without ZBo.

SA is going to struggle against any team with good defense - when playoff type, grind it out time comes, all this free-flowing, PHX type offensive game is going to come to a halt. It'll be who can get a stop and who can't you stop.

SenorSpur
04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Because the Spurs know that they cannot match their size. There was a particular 1st quarter sequence, in which both Bynum and Gasol battled the offensive glass for about 4 consecutive, extra possessions. That sequence, along with that Bynum's devastating swat of Parker layup on the other end, sent the Spurs into the mental foxhole for the rest of the game.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Never really thought it had anything to do with Phil. But there's definitely something going on. Pop's been intimidated by big moments and the playoffs for a while now.

The only silver lining is getting their asses handed to them now with two more opportunities to man up in the next week. That said, if the Lakers have a full team for one or both of the next games I wouldn't be surprised to see Pop sit players like a fucking puss so he has an excuse for losing.

mercos
04-12-2012, 12:52 PM
The only player I thought may have played scared was Tony Parker. He refused to enter the paint. I can't say with any certainty that it was fear, however, as he has done this against other teams, usually when he is tired. It happens frequently on the second half of back to backs. We'll know for sure soon enough as there are two more games against the Lakers quickly approaching.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-12-2012, 12:54 PM
healthy grizz. healthy bulls.

??? Randolph was in first game. Manu was out the second two. We also added Jax, Mills and Diaw. Wasnt Manu out against Bulls? We were the ones that were not healthy.

LongtimeSpursFan
04-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Then, isn't it disturbing that they were up by 20 (14 IIRC - I was at that game) and still lost the game by 30? That's a 44 point swing in less than a half. MEM losses were without ZBo.

SA is going to struggle against any team with good defense - when playoff type, grind it out time comes, all this free-flowing, PHX type offensive game is going to come to a halt. It'll be who can get a stop and who can't you stop.

Spurs are 5-2 against Grizz, Thunder and Lakers this year. I hardly call that struggling.

loveforthegame
04-12-2012, 12:56 PM
You know Pop is sitting the big 3 next Tuesday. He'll want those wins against the Warriors and Kings but won't care about tanking the game in LA.

I expect more of the same BS game plan as last night when the Lakers are back in town on Friday. Pop will just wing it and hope for the best should they meet in the playoffs.

Horse
04-12-2012, 12:58 PM
I think it's the opposite I believe they didn't take them serious without kobe and by the time the realized it wouldn't be easy it was too late. On top of that every piece of shit la threw up went in.

kidd_91
04-12-2012, 12:58 PM
it's not a season ending loss by any means or does it mean I don't believe we can still when it all. But anyone who is talking themselves into believing this was a "bad night" is being delusional. The lane was denied and Tony and the rest of the team seemed to give up even trying to drive. I think Bynum and Gasol had more rebounds at half time than the whole spurs team combined. Their size bothered us and Pop didn't have an answer. If we meet up in the playoffs let's hope Kobe takes enough shots to disrupt their bigs flow.

therealtruth
04-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Never really thought it had anything to do with Phil. But there's definitely something going on. Pop's been intimidated by big moments and the playoffs for a while now.

The only silver lining is getting their asses handed to them now with two more opportunities to man up in the next week. That said, if the Lakers have a full team for one or both of the next games I wouldn't be surprised to see Pop sit players like a fucking puss so he has an excuse for losing.

The team's mental softness comes from Pop.

therealtruth
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Because the Spurs know that they cannot match their size. There was a particular 1st quarter sequence, in which both Bynum and Gasol battled the offensive glass for about 4 consecutive, extra possessions. That sequence, along with that Bynum's devastating swat of Parker layup on the other end, sent the Spurs into the mental foxhole for the rest of the game.

TD and Splitter are not as good as Bynum and Gasol but we could get a similar effect if they played together.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
If Pop weren't scared of the Lakers, Manu probably wouldn't have broken his arm last year.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
TD and Splitter are not as good as Bynum and Gasol but we could get a similar effect if they played together.

Well, pretty much nobody is stopping a motivated Andrew Bynum, which is why the Lakers have refused to give him up despite his injuries and attitude. He's that good. Pau Gasol is a really good player but he's neither intimidating nor all-world. They make a good pairing. Duncan and Splitter together simply helps level the field a bit.

LobCity
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
If Pop weren't scared of the Lakers, Manu probably wouldn't have broken his arm last year.

It's true. Pop has been petrified of the Lakers for a long time. I do think there's a little Jackson mystique to it though.

As far as Duncan, he didn't look scared yesterday. He just couldn't hit anything outside of 3 feet.

:lol Parker was funny tho, saying Bynum didn't affect his shots.

Venti Quattro
04-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't get how or why Pop is going to get petrified of Mike Brown.

Horse
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM

slick'81
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM
i dont think the spurs r scared just not as good lol

Horse
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
the first win zbo played

Obstructed_View
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't get how or why Pop is going to get petrified of Mike Brown.

Well, at this point, it's not Phil, it's not Kobe (which would have been my second guess). Couldn't have been Jack, since the game's in San Antonio.

Does Jeannie travel with the team?

Venti Quattro
04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Jeanie is probably with Phil in Montana.

BUMP
04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
tbh this kind of reminds me of 2007 Golden State-Dallas. During the regular season Dallas won 67 games but couldn't figure out Golden State.

Dallas rested all of their starters late in the season in a nationally televised game at Golden State and got blown out of course which helped GS immensely in their fight for the 8th seed. A lot of people said, "Well if Dallas would've just beat them that night, they wouldn't have had to deal with them in the 1st round". At that time, deep down, I think Avery was scared of Golden State and did what many people think Pop will do against LA. Rest his starters, pretending like he doesn't care, in order to avoid the embarrassment of losing with your best players out there.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
tbh this kind of reminds me of 2007 Golden State-Dallas. During the regular season Dallas won 67 games but couldn't figure out Golden State.

Dallas rested all of their starters late in the season in a nationally televised game at Golden State and got blown out of course which helped GS immensely in their fight for the 8th seed. A lot of people said, "Well if Dallas would've just beat them that night, they wouldn't have had to deal with them in the 1st round". At that time, deep down, I think Avery was scared of Golden State and did what many people think Pop will do against LA. Rest his starters, pretending like he doesn't care, in order to avoid the embarrassment of losing with your best players out there.

I don't think AJ was scared ENOUGH of Golden State, or he'd have tried to win that game. His attitude was "We're the number one team; eveyone else can adjust to what WE do." which 99.9 percent of the time is the right attitude. The Warriors were just a historically bad matchup for them.

Pop used to preach "approprate fear". It's since been eclipsed by actual fear.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Jeanie is probably with Phil in Montana.

That's honestly the only thing I really hate Phil Jackson for. :)

therealtruth
04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Ever since Pop went away from defense first he starts getting owned by defensive coaches. He's become a poor man's version of Mike D'Antoni.

Tp9gospursgo
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
World Peace played an unbelievable game so that plus 30 boards from Bynum....hard to overcome. Lakers played a good game. We will win tonight.

therealtruth
04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't think AJ was scared ENOUGH of Golden State, or he'd have tried to win that game. His attitude was "We're the number one team; eveyone else can adjust to what WE do." which 99.9 percent of the time is the right attitude. The Warriors were just a historically bad matchup for them.

Pop used to preach "approprate fear". It's since been eclipsed by actual fear.

To make matters worse he tried adjusting to them in the playoffs.

Venti Quattro
04-12-2012, 01:59 PM

I thought he never adjusted to them at all.

Pocket Hippo
04-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Just a bad game IMO.

Coasting, CIA Pop, per par, etc

Non-Issue

+1 :toast
If we lose in some humiliating fashion to the Grizz tonight I will worry.

BUMP
04-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I thought he never adjusted to them at all.

He went small and started Nowitzki at center and brought Damp off the bench which they never did all season. A lot of people said "Hey, you won 67 games, make the other team adjust to you". That's why I think it was obvious that Avery knew deep down that it would be a nightmare matchup and he didn't want to give GS confidence in winning that late regular season game against a full Mavericks team.

GS was the only team Dallas didn't beat all season and they went on a serious tear towards the end of the season. Avery was scared

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Such a weird season for the Mavs...their final record (including playoffs) was 69-19, and 7 of those losses were to the Warriors. That Dallas team was beastly too, but they just had the unluckiest draw in NBA playoff history.

Venti Quattro
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I remembered that Mavs team tearing through with numerous 15+ win streaks after starting 0-4. Oh well they finished like they started.

z0sa
04-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Spurs should have started fouling Bynum like mad. Instead, they let their shit get pushed in like prison whores. I'm extremely disappointed but the show must go on.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Spurs should have started fouling Bynum like mad. Instead, they let their shit get pushed in like prison whores. I'm extremely disappointed but the show must go on.

They were doing that all game:lol

z0sa
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
They were doing that all game:lol

Tim Duncan and Blair had 1 foul each, Bonner zero, Splitter 2.

They were handsy but they should have been bodychecking him to the floor. Especially DeJuan. Dude should use all 6 fouls guarding Bynum.

jag
04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
It seems like the Spurs' players and coaches tried to go into that game pretending it was just another regular season game. You can tell the media that and you can tell the fans that, but the players know it isn't true.

The intensity that the Heat and Thunder showed against each other is a result of two teams recognizing the psychological importance of certain "statement" games. The Lakers came out wanting to prove something. Mike Brown wanted to prove he isn't retarded and/or worthless, and every player on his team wanted to prove they can dominate the Spurs when they "turn it on", especially in San Antonio and especially without Kobe. That's the mentality they brought last night.

In the meantime, Pop pretended his current player rotation would suffice, and Duncan, Parker and Ginobili walked out onto the court expecting "just another regular season game." Stephen Jackson and Danny Green knew differently and played like this game actually meant something. They weren't scared or intimidated because they recognize they have a lot to prove.

I think the effort was there from Tiago, and overall I don't think he played poorly. Lately he's been playing like he's up to the challenge of earning every possible minute out of the 5-bigman rotation. In reality, he actually earned those minutes a long time ago, so I can only imagine he's frustrated with his current role.

Regardless, the Spurs better hope they avoid the lakers this postseason. The Spurs are at a huge disadvantage physically so the only way they would have a chance in that series would be with a psychological edge. And as of right now I wouldn't count on that.

Mugen
04-12-2012, 02:40 PM
It seems like the Spurs' players and coaches tried to go into that game pretending it was just another regular season game. You can tell the media that and you can tell the fans that, but the players know it isn't true.

The intensity that the Heat and Thunder showed against each other is a result of two teams recognizing the psychological importance of certain "statement" games. The Lakers came out wanting to prove something. Mike Brown wanted to prove he isn't retarded and/or worthless, and every player on his team wanted to prove they can dominate the Spurs when they "turn it on", especially in San Antonio and especially without Kobe. That's the mentality they brought last night.

In the meantime, Pop pretended his current player rotation would suffice, and Duncan, Parker and Ginobili walked out onto the court expecting "just another regular season game." Stephen Jackson and Danny Green knew differently and played like this game actually meant something. They weren't scared or intimidated because they recognize they have a lot to prove.

I think the effort was there from Tiago, and overall I don't think he played poorly. Lately he's been playing like he's up to the challenge of earning every possible minute out of the 5-bigman rotation. In reality, he actually earned those minutes a long time ago, so I can only imagine he's frustrated with his current role.

My man, JaG.

therealtruth
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Such a weird season for the Mavs...their final record (including playoffs) was 69-19, and 7 of those losses were to the Warriors. That Dallas team was beastly too, but they just had the unluckiest draw in NBA playoff history.

It was interesting year. The Mavs got the unfavorable matchup and the Spurs got mostly favorable matchups and the Horry hip-check incident.

Spurs go into games like business as usual. But that's not going to get it done in the playoffs. They're going to have to play their hardest 4 out of 7 games. There will be no easy games in there. That's the problem I have with Pop taking it easy during the regular season. During the season good depth and playing bad teams allows you to get by with business as usual. That formula won't work in the playoffs.

therealtruth
04-12-2012, 02:58 PM

It's pretty bad coaching by Pop. How do you not reward a player like Tiago for playing well? He should know the reward factor is important in getting guys to improve and play better.

It's ironic we were joking before in the year that Pop would reward Tiago for beasting by playing him even less minutes. To everyone's horror it looks like it came true. It seems his minutes have steadily declined.

SplitterHook
04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
it's not a season ending loss by any means or does it mean I don't believe we can still when it all. But anyone who is talking themselves into believing this was a "bad night" is being delusional. The lane was denied and Tony and the rest of the team seemed to give up even trying to drive. I think Bynum and Gasol had more rebounds at half time than the whole spurs team combined. Their size bothered us and Pop didn't have an answer. If we meet up in the playoffs let's hope Kobe takes enough shots to disrupt their bigs flow.

bynum and gasol? :lol

bynum had 19 rebounds at half time to spurs' 18.

bynum finished with 30 rebounds to spurs 33.

Obstructed_View
04-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Yeah. If he was going to try that lineup change it seems like he'd have done it during the regular season game to see how it worked. Diop and Damp were the starters for the best team in the league and Damp suddenly got like a minute of garbage time in game 1.