PDA

View Full Version : Pop is probably gonna cost us a ring

roycrikside
04-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Splitter < 13 mins, + 11. Not one second of playing time with Duncan.

He won't do it for the simple fact that everyone wants him to do it. There's no other reason. He's a stubborn old fool who thinks he's smarter than everyone. He's convinced playing Tim and Splitter together will destroy the space-time continuem or something.

Basketball-wise I can see the concerns defensively if we play against a small team or against a stretch four, though I don't think Randolph qualifies as one of those, despite hitting the occasional three. Same for Pau Gasol.

Offensively, I know the two of them will slow the pace a bit, but I don't see why they can't play the hi-low game Tim and David did in the early days or just trade off pick and-rolls and be interchangeable. That way neither would get tired, having to touch the ball on every possession, right?

I don't get why we don't do it and at least make the other team take out their second big and go small on us.

Mugen
04-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Bonner +22

Fuk yo thread clown.

slick'81
04-12-2012, 10:38 PM
u cant fck with the +/- king

jjktkk
04-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Bonner +22

Fuk yo thread clown.

:lol

Stringer_Bell
04-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Why are people still wondering why Splitter isn't getting playing time when his competition is Bonner, Blair, and Diaw?

On the real tho, last 7 games of the season - Splitter will be right next to Timmy in the starting rotation. It's gonna be alright.

TD 21
04-12-2012, 10:53 PM

He won't do it for the simple fact that everyone wants him to do it. There's no other reason. He's a stubborn old fool who thinks he's smarter than everyone. He's convinced playing Tim and Splitter together will destroy the space-time continuem or something.

Basketball-wise I can see the concerns defensively if we play against a small team or against a stretch four, though I don't think Randolph qualifies as one of those, despite hitting the occasional three. Same for Pau Gasol.

Offensively, I know the two of them will slow the pace a bit, but I don't see why they can't play the hi-low game Tim and David did in the early days or just trade off pick and-rolls and be interchangeable. That way neither would get tired, having to touch the ball on every possession, right?

I don't get why we don't do it and at least make the other team take out their second big and go small on us.

It probably will cost them whatever chance they have, along with injuries. But it'll probably only cost them against the Lakers. They can beat the Grizzlies without it, especially if they continue with this big rotation (highly unlikely) or if Randolph can't get at least close to the level he was at last season.

People seem to forget, but Randolph isn't 7-1 or 7-2, he's a mere 6-9. Sure, he's extremely strong, but physically, they can do a reasonable enough job on him. And Gasol, for all his size, is just not a dominant rebounder. The two of them played above their heads in the playoffs last season and fooled people into thinking they're better than they are. I'm not saying they're not either the second or third best big duo in the league, because they definitely are. They just don't compare to the Lakers duo.

100%duncan
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM
He already did it before.

roycrikside
04-12-2012, 10:55 PM
It's not Bonner's minutes that are the problem, it's Blair's. Give Splitter Blair's 12 minutes in addition to his own 13, and we're fine.

Spurtacus
04-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I only hope Pop is "saving" him for the playoffs. CIA POP?

DesignatedT
Bonner +22

Fuk yo thread clown.

lol

MannyIsGod

Can I borrow your mind reading device?

letmk
04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
It's not Bonner's minutes that are the problem, it's Blair's. Give Splitter Blair's 12 minutes in addition to his own 13, and we're fine.

Agreed.

100%duncan
04-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Can I borrow your mind reading device?

:lol

Mugen
04-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Tiago is too injury prone for those kind of minutes, clown.

Try again :lol

Josepatches_
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Cost us a ring? Even with Splitter our chances aren't so big

But we could be a stronger team for sure.We aren't playing all our talent.

The ADMIRAL 50
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Why are people still wondering why Splitter isn't getting playing time when his competition is Bonner, Blair, and Diaw?

On the real tho, last 7 games of the season - Splitter will be right next to Timmy in the starting rotation. It's gonna be alright.

geez man I really wish I could believe that :depressed

tbh if Pop isnt gonna do it against LA or Memphis I dont see when hes gonna do it

Nathan89
04-12-2012, 11:10 PM
That's probably what he'll get in the playoffs...So get use to it

crc21209
04-12-2012, 11:11 PM
With Blair's play tonight, hopefully he played his way out of the rotation....

TheSkeptic
That's probably what he'll get in the playoffs...So get use to it

:nope

I think he'll play like 30 minutes during the elimination game.

Nathan89
Also Splitter should play more because Manu is much more effective with him setting the quicker screens.

NRHector
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
He already cost us 2 and with his stuborness probably a few more

Spurtacus
04-12-2012, 11:22 PM
He already cost us 2 and with his stuborness probably a few more

But his stubbornness won 4 :lobt:

FuzzyLumpkins
04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
With Blair's play tonight, hopefully he played his way out of the rotation....

Its two really shitty games in a row against teams that we have to worry about facing in the playoffs.

NRHector
04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
But his stubbornness won 4 :lobt:

The big three were younger not because of him

DMC
04-12-2012, 11:28 PM
If Pop cannot be credited with the 4, he cannot be blamed for losing one.

Pop is the best coach in the league, hands down. Just ask other teams' fans if they would trade their coach for Pop.

Spurtacus
04-12-2012, 11:31 PM
The big three were younger not because of him

Did Pop not have a hand in drafting the big 3? Sure, Duncan was a lock at #1. But the draft steals of Ginobili and Parker?

Paranoid Pop
04-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Did Pop not have a hand in drafting the big 3? Sure, Duncan was a lock at #1. But the draft steals of Ginobili and Parker?

Pop didn't want Parker originally.

NRHector
04-12-2012, 11:35 PM

Pop is the best coach in the league, hands down. Just ask other teams' fans if they would trade their coach for Pop.

The other teams don't have the players the spurs have

TheSkeptic
04-12-2012, 11:36 PM

See that's just it though. Fans of other teams don't really get a chance to see what his flaws are. They just know his resume and they know that the Spurs are a team they're most likely going to lose to. Ergo they conclude that winning=excellent, flawless coaching.

Thing is, there's a point where the flaws of even a great coach can start to drag a team down. Some have longer shelf lives than others but coaches can decline imo and those signs might not be obvious to other fanbases until they're impossible to hide.

Not that I'm saying Pop isn't one of the best ever, because he is, but if some of these fanbases knew every last detail like we do I'm sure that there are likely some that wouldn't make the switch without thinking it over first.

That's just my 2 cents though.

Mel_13
04-12-2012, 11:37 PM
He won't do it for the simple fact that everyone wants him to do it.

Serious question.

Outside of people like us who post about the Spurs on the internet, who comprises this "everyone" that you think Pop is stubbornly ignoring? Because he's not ignoring us, he isn't aware that we exist.

slick'81
04-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Serious question.

Outside of people like us who post about the Spurs on the internet, who comprises this "everyone" that you think Pop is stubbornly ignoring? Because he's not ignoring us, he isn't aware that we exist.

lol its like yelling at the players on tv they cant hear u but u feel it helps :lol

Spurs4#5
04-12-2012, 11:40 PM
everyone in here obviously knows what's best for this organization do lets fire pop and R.C....who do we replace them with???

DMC
04-12-2012, 11:42 PM
See that's just it though. Fans of other teams don't really get a chance to see what his flaws are. They just know his resume and they know that the Spurs are a team they're most likely going to lose to. Ergo they conclude that winning=excellent, flawless coaching.

Wrong. You don't get to see other teams' coaching flaws, like having better talent and losing just the same, or playing a 35 year old guy 40 minutes a night even in meaningless games, or letting your star player dance on the sideline during the game.

There are some pretty savvy fans out there who pay attention, and they agree Pop is the best in the league. Even Phil had his flaws. He couldn't develop a player for shit.

Thing is, there's a point where the flaws of even a great coach can start to drag a team down. Some have longer shelf lives than others but coaches can decline imo and those signs might not be obvious to other fanbases until they're impossible to hide.

There's flaws and then there's things you consider flaws that the front office does not. It's hard to argue with Pop's recipe when it works so well, when the Spurs are the winningest franchise in professional sports, when they continue to win games despite lackluster performances by their focal point.

You cannot just deny him that because he doesn't see rotations how you would like.

Not that I'm saying Pop isn't one of the best ever, because he is, but if some of these fanbases knew every last detail like we do I'm sure that there are likely some that wouldn't make the switch without thinking it over first.

You don't know every last detail. You don't have any information that's not available to everyone else. You think a certain combo would work better but it's just a guess. You would give this guy more minutes, play this guy less, sit this guy totally. You would be just another short term coach who has all the answers until the starting tipoff.

That's just my 2 cents though.
Mine too.

Spurtacus
04-12-2012, 11:43 PM
everyone in here obviously knows what's best for this organization do lets fire pop and R.C....who do we replace them with???

Avery Johnson and Steve Kerr.

Spurs4#5
04-12-2012, 11:44 PM
I would like to have faith in my head coach...i say pop doesn't play splitter with Duncan against the fakers because he doesn't want mike brown to get a look at it before the playoffs...also tiago and Ginobili are a great combination, why mess that up?

DMC
04-12-2012, 11:47 PM
The other teams don't have the players the spurs have

The Lakers have more talent than the Spurs have. So does the Heat. We have a better record than both. We aren't as playoff strong as they are, but we have what we have and there's only so many different ways to stack the same logs. Eventually you're going to end up with the same team.

You think you have better players because you watch these guys exclusively, but your better team barely got past a gimmick Suns squad a few years back. This team hasn't been a true championship caliber squad since they lost Bowen. Rotations won't fix that.

ViceCity84
04-12-2012, 11:47 PM
2006-Thanks Pop
You stubborn asshole.
3-peat would of had nice ring to it.

DMC
04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Yep. Avery kicked ass in Dallas and is beasting in NJ. Steve Kerr really whipped the Suns into shape and his commentary on NBA Live is priceless.

NRHector
04-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I would like to have faith in my head coach...i say pop doesn't play splitter with Duncan against the fakers because he doesn't want mike brown to get a look at it before the playoffs...also tiago and Ginobili are a great combination, why mess that up?

I would like to also but I don't, I lost it 3 years ago

Spurtacus
04-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Yep. Avery kicked ass in Dallas and is beasting in NJ. Steve Kerr really whipped the Suns into shape and his commentary on NBA Live is priceless.

Drive for Five will be alive again.

DMC
04-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Drive for Five will be alive again.
Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.

Spurs4#5
04-12-2012, 11:52 PM
I would like to also but I don't, I lost it 3 years ago
because we don't win a ring every year?

ElNono
04-12-2012, 11:54 PM
You don't know every last detail. You don't have any information that's not available to everyone else.

This is a terrible take, tbh. Reminds me of "he must suck during practice".

Spurs da champs
04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Probably is an understatement.

TheSkeptic
04-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Wrong. You don't get to see other teams' coaching flaws, like having better talent and losing just the same, or playing a 35 year old guy 40 minutes a night even in meaningless games, or letting your star player dance on the sideline during the game.

Well yeah. But those are really really obvious ones. In the case of Pop, his methods are producing a lot of wins during the regular season. Fans of other teams will notice that he's running the same system as before and they'll appreciate his offensive sets. They'll appreciate his management of his players and that what he does wins games. Frankly, we all do.

Due to the results, they won't notice that his rotations are mechanical and that other than Duncan, our decent bigs don't really get minutes although that seems to be changing somewhat this year in the case of Splitter.

There are some pretty savvy fans out there who pay attention, and they agree Pop is the best in the league. Even Phil had his flaws. He couldn't develop a player for shit.

There's flaws and then there's things you consider flaws that the front office does not. It's hard to argue with Pop's recipe when it works so well, when the Spurs are the winningest franchise in professional sports, when they continue to win games despite lackluster performances by their focal point.

That's what I'm saying though. There are plenty of fans who wouldn't want Phil because of his flaws. On a young and developing team you wouldn't want Jackson as your coach. Got a team of talent-laden but established vets that can't work together? Phil's your man.

I guess my point is that the same would likely extend to Pop if other fans knew about his tendency to overplay certain players, the way he holds to his system at all costs, and his stubbornness in doing so. Lots of double-edged traits in there that are likely being exposed more now that Tim isn't good enough to compensate any more.

On a team like say the Wizards before the trade I don't think Pop would do as well because that group wasn't nearly as docile as these Spurs are.

Jackson and Pop are both excellent coaches but they're good for different situations. People know more about Phil's flaws than Pop's. That's all I'm saying.

And while his recipe has been working fine in the regular season, it hasn't been during the playoffs post 2008. Part of that is because the players have aged. Part of that is because he's made mistakes that have made things hard on the team.

It looks like he's going in that direction again and that's why, I for one, don't think they're winning number 5 this year unless something changes. Sitting Blair in the second half was a step in the right direction.

TheSkeptic
04-13-2012, 12:04 AM

RC is fine and so is Pop if he'd just make a few adjustments. If we had to replace them though I take Thibs and Presti.

Spurtacus
04-13-2012, 12:06 AM
RC is fine and so is Pop if he'd just make a few adjustments. If we had to replace them though I take Thibs and Presti.

I know, was joking around. Would be awesome to have Presti back.

Brutalis
04-13-2012, 12:12 AM
For me this isn't about if Splitter is great or a pile of shit. Spurs have no other bigs to rebound other than Blair snagging a few with his quickness.

Why do you think we had Nazr and Rasho? Seriously now... SA cannot sit there and put this much weight on Timmy this late in this his historic 14 years. It's not all about rebounds. It's just the 2nd presence of a big man alone we lack! How ignorant is this? You get no second chances...

I don't like playing 50/50 heading into the playoffs either.

neboat
04-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Pop does not play Splitter maybe because Pop has NIH Syndrome

DMC
04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Well yeah. But those are really really obvious ones. In the case of Pop, his methods are producing a lot of wins during the regular season. Fans of other teams will notice that he's running the same system as before and they'll appreciate his offensive sets. They'll appreciate his management of his players and that what he does wins games. Frankly, we all do.

Due to the results, they won't notice that his rotations are mechanical and that other than Duncan, our decent bigs don't really get minutes although that seems to be changing somewhat this year in the case of Splitter.

That's what I'm saying though. There are plenty of fans who wouldn't want Phil because of his flaws. On a young and developing team you wouldn't want Jackson as your coach. Got a team of talent-laden but established vets that can't work together? Phil's your man.

I guess my point is that the same would likely extend to Pop if other fans knew about his tendency to overplay certain players, the way he holds to his system at all costs, and his stubbornness in doing so. Lots of double-edged traits in there that are likely being exposed more now that Tim isn't good enough to compensate any more.

On a team like say the Wizards before the trade I don't think Pop would do as well because that group wasn't nearly as docile as these Spurs are.

Jackson and Pop are both excellent coaches but they're good for different situations. People know more about Phil's flaws than Pop's. That's all I'm saying.

And while his recipe has been working fine in the regular season, it hasn't been during the playoffs post 2008. Part of that is because the players have aged. Part of that is because he's made mistakes that have made things hard on the team.

It looks like he's going in that direction again and that's why, I for one, don't think they're winning number 5 this year unless something changes. Sitting Blair in the second half was a step in the right direction.

They aren't winning number 5 because they don't have the talent or athleticism to win it. It's not because they don't have the coach to win it. Tim Duncan is a shell of his former, totally overwhelming presence. If the Spurs win a ring, it's going to be because they put a string of wins together through great outside shooting and luckily avoided tough matchups.

Man In Black
04-13-2012, 12:51 AM

That's what I said yesterday. Last night was nothing more than a military exercise on how the LAL plays when Bean is not focal point but once he's back, alpha is back and he'll try to kick Bynum back to beta or gamma land.

silverblk mystix
04-13-2012, 01:02 AM
You guys all saw that these past two games Bonner was there in crunch time....obviously Pop is depending on Bonner to close games...

Goodbye #5.

Any team that has Bonner on the floor in crunch time is not a championship team. This doesn't get any clearer. Pop is going to cost the Spurs another ring.

Anyone that cannot see this is just plain blind.

jjktkk
04-13-2012, 01:07 AM
You guys all saw that these past two games Bonner was there in crunch time....obviously Pop is depending on Bonner to close games...

Goodbye #5.

Any team that has Bonner on the floor in crunch time is not a championship team. This doesn't get any clearer. Pop is going to cost the Spurs another ring.

.Any moron can bitch. Offer an alternative that makes sense.

therealtruth
04-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Cost us a ring? Even with Splitter our chances aren't so big

But we could be a stronger team for sure.We aren't playing all our talent.

This. We're making games harder and in the end that will backfire. I guess Pop is giving himself the challenge of winning while limiting the second best big.

TheSkeptic
04-13-2012, 01:15 AM
They aren't winning number 5 because they don't have the talent or athleticism to win it. It's not because they don't have the coach to win it. Tim Duncan is a shell of his former, totally overwhelming presence. If the Spurs win a ring, it's going to be because they put a string of wins together through great outside shooting and luckily avoided tough matchups.

Exactly. Which is why you need to give yourself a fighting chance by playing your best players.

This. We're making games harder and in the end that will backfire. I guess Pop is giving himself the challenge of winning while limiting the second best big.

therealtruth with the goods :D

ElNono
04-13-2012, 01:18 AM
An alternative for Bonner closing games?

Bonner not closing games. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-13-2012, 01:40 AM
It's time a real journalist in SA nailed Pop with the question: "why don't you play Tim and Splitter together more of the time against big frontcourts?" Pop obviously has a reason for this and it's about time he told the world.

It is also time people stopped thinking Pop is such an egomaniac that he'd deliberately hurt his team. He is one of the greatest coaches of all time and he's not a "stubborn old fool" as so many of you contend. In fact, he has innovated as the game has changed as much as anyone and is the best coach in the world bar Phil Jackson. Who else would you rather have coaching this team?

"Pop is an idiot" and "the FO is crap" are two refrains I am utterly sick of hearing from supposed "Spurs fans". :ihit

ace3g
04-13-2012, 01:42 AM
Well if he ever decided to use his clipboard...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites/release/spurs/sites/spurs/files/imagecache/local_image_gallery_default/120412_035_0.jpg

Russo21
04-13-2012, 01:48 AM
+ 11 for Tiago is good he did a great job in the 13 minutes of court time.

- 1 for Timmeh with his 28 points 12 rebounds and 2 blocks

+ 22 for Bonner even though he had stats of 7 pts 1reb 1ast 1blk and shot a shitty 1 of 6 from downtown?

I dont get this +/- shit?

TheSkeptic
04-13-2012, 01:51 AM
It's time a real journalist in SA nailed Pop with the question: "why don't you play Tim and Splitter together more of the time against big frontcourts?" Pop obviously has a reason for this and it's about time he told the world.

It is also time people stopped thinking Pop is such an egomaniac that he'd deliberately hurt his team. He is one of the greatest coaches of all time and he's not a "stubborn old fool" as so many of you contend. In fact, he has innovated as the game has changed as much as anyone and is the best coach in the world bar Phil Jackson. Who else would you rather have coaching this team?

"Pop is an idiot" and "the FO is crap" are two refrains I am utterly sick of hearing from supposed "Spurs fans". :ihit

I doubt Phil Jack would be a good coach for this Spurs team. And to answer your question (again), I'd rather have Thibs. That said, Pop is fine he just needs to make some changes before it's too late.

I wouldn't say that his decision to sabotage the team is deliberate. He's already said that Splitter is "unskilled" and "blue-collar". I'd say that his problem is that he has a blind spot when it comes to spreading the floor and that he's refusing/not wanting to see the benefits of playing a big that plays solid defense, finishes, has some post moves, rebounds, hustles, is poised, has big game experience...:depressed

And that it's costing the team big time to the point where short of an unprecedented string of good luck and hot shooting, there's zero chance that the Spurs win it all.

Sean Cagney
04-13-2012, 01:51 AM
+ 11 for Tiago is good he did a great job in the 13 minutes of court time.

- 1 for Timmeh with his 28 points 12 rebounds and 2 blocks

+ 22 for Bonner even though he had stats of 7 pts 1reb 1ast 1blk and shot a shitty 1 of 6 from downtown?

I dont get this +/- shit?

Thats because it's a rack of shit at times and some idiots use it to prove someone is good! LOL -1 with Tim too! Although he is by far our best BIG he gets a -1 while bonner gets a +22 hahhhhahaahahha.

Cow Eye
04-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Blair is fine when we're doing small ball, or matching up against teams that don't have dominant big men. Aside from that, his ass should be on the bench. I'm hoping that these past 2 games have shown Pop that against teams like the Lakers and Grizz, that Splitter and Diaw need to be taking over Blair's minutes.

Unless Pop is just trolling everyone, and intentionally acting like he doesn't know what's going on...

therealtruth
04-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Blair is fine when we're doing small ball, or matching up against teams that don't have dominant big men. Aside from that, his ass should be on the bench. I'm hoping that these past 2 games have shown Pop that against teams like the Lakers and Grizz, that Splitter and Diaw need to be taking over Blair's minutes.

Unless Pop is just trolling everyone, and intentionally acting like he doesn't know what's going on...

Just take him out of the rotation. You can take guys in and out of the rotation like that.

jjktkk
04-13-2012, 02:40 AM
Just take him out of the rotation. You can take guys in and out of the rotation like that.

Thanks Coach. :lol

capek
04-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Even with Pop trying to do his best to sink this team, we've actually gained ground on OKC and are only .5 games out of first place in the West. Pop even fails at failing!!! :whine

angelbelow
04-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Well I don't agree with the thread title.. but I get the sentiment, and I agree.

Pop dropped the ball big time this year. For the first time in many seasons, we had a talented and long big man to pair with Duncan and attempt to reignite our passion for defense. Splitter has clearly been the 2nd best big man both offensively and defensive. And there were times where he was temporarily number 1.

I'm not saying that the solution is to start Splitter, pair him with Duncan, and give him 25+ mpg. But the most disappointing aspect of all this is that Pop didn't even try. No question that playing your best players give you the best chance to win, especially in a situation where it makes sense.

therealtruth
04-13-2012, 04:12 AM
Well I don't agree with the thread title.. but I get the sentiment, and I agree.

Pop dropped the ball big time this year. For the first time in many seasons, we had a talented and long big man to pair with Duncan and attempt to reignite our passion for defense. Splitter has clearly been the 2nd best big man both offensively and defensive. And there were times where he was temporarily number 1.

I'm not saying that the solution is to start Splitter, pair him with Duncan, and give him 25+ mpg. But the most disappointing aspect of all this is that Pop didn't even try. No question that playing your best players give you the best chance to win, especially in a situation where it makes sense.

I think with Duncan capable of going for 20+ and 10+ and Splitter 15 and 10, plus Tp,Manu and our wing depth, this team would be a lock for the title.

Slomo
04-13-2012, 05:48 AM

I disagree he has any obligation to tell anybody, except his boss, his staff and his players.

He makes mistakes and I disagree with him sometimes, but to say he's making those out of spite or stuborness is even worse than to claim to know what are his thoughts (as stated in the OP) - but frankly both are pretty stupid.

5in10
04-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Duncan's per is 21.6, while Tiagos per is 21.3. It's unbelievable how much burn he gets. I seem to have forgotten, but can someone tell me what oberto used to do on offense? That guy had no jumpshot but never seemed to get in the way of the offense. The other thing, how can the celtics defense be that much better than ours? They're an older team and don't even seem to have the kind of defenders/ athletic young guys we have. Is it just the scheme they run? Is it the coaching? I don't understand why the spurs can't put up the same kind of defensive #'s.

MaNu4Tres
04-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Well said.

therealtruth
04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Duncan's per is 21.6, while Tiagos per is 21.3. It's unbelievable how much burn he gets. I seem to have forgotten, but can someone tell me what oberto used to do on offense? That guy had no jumpshot but never seemed to get in the way of the offense. The other thing, how can the celtics defense be that much better than ours? They're an older team and don't even seem to have the kind of defenders/ athletic young guys we have. Is it just the scheme they run? Is it the coaching? I don't understand why the spurs can't put up the same kind of defensive #'s.

Can you imagine the trouble we could create for opposing frontcourts if those guys played together? I remember in '07 Oberto averaging like 14 in the first two games against the Jazz. I think Splitter could easily average around there if given minutes.

gospursgojas
04-13-2012, 09:03 AM

He won't do it for the simple fact that everyone wants him to do it. There's no other reason. He's a stubborn old fool who thinks he's smarter than everyone.

This is the only reason...ONE AND ONLY reason. Hes always went away from the obvious solution bc if another left field solution is out there he'll look more like a genius for using it. Unfortunately with our lack of size issue, there is no other solution other than the obvious.

Dont look for Tiago and Duncan to ever play more than minimal minutes together.

TheSkeptic
Can you imagine the trouble we could create for opposing frontcourts if those guys played together? I remember in '07 Oberto averaging like 14 in the first two games against the Jazz. I think Splitter could easily average around there if given minutes.

Actually, given minutes and the ball I could see Splitter averaging something closer to 18 or 20. I think it's his rebounding that would go down a bit.

Old School 44
Seriously now... SA cannot sit there and put this much weight on Timmy this late in this his historic 14 years. It's not all about rebounds. It's just the 2nd presence of a big man alone we lack! How ignorant is this? You get no second chances...

This.

For all the talk about Tim being old and giving him rest by letting him have nights off, yet the Spurs trot him out there by himself to take on an incredible defensive load (thus negating the rest), especially against bigs like Gasol/Bynum or Gasol/Randolph. Sure Tim's game has regressed with time, but it's magnified even more with the bigs he's asked to play with.

And like someone mentioned, it might not be Splitter, but at least try this combo, instead of waiting til the 11th hour when it's too late.

DMC
04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Well if he ever decided to use his clipboard...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites/release/spurs/sites/spurs/files/imagecache/local_image_gallery_default/120412_035_0.jpg
It ain't about X's and O's, it's about Jim's and Joe's. -Sir Charles

DMC
04-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Exactly. Which is why you need to give yourself a fighting chance by playing your best players.

The best players do play, just not in the sequence and coupling you think is best. That's what separates a HOF coach from an armchair coach.

mingus
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
last year i sais it was a mistake not paying Splitter and Duncan together because in the playoffs, if we wanted to compete, wthey would have to play together and they needed time to get a feel for one another's game. sure enough, against the Grizzlies, he had to go with Splitter and Duncan. the same thing will happen this year.

mingus
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
The best players do play, just not in the sequence and coupling you think is best. That's what separates a HOF coach from an armchair coach.

lol resorting to the armchair coach personal attack. just give it up.

Nathan89
04-13-2012, 10:50 AM

The switch from Blair to Splitter after 3 games in the playoffs was the cherry on top that solidified him as a HOF coach. That preparation for the playoffs was just remarkable.

As for the last two games I'm shocked the starting center(Blair) only had 25 minutes total. He should've had a lot more to prepare for the likely playoff matches.

DrSteffo
04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
The switch from Blair to Splitter after 3 games in the playoffs was the cherry on top that solidified him as a HOF coach. That preparation for the playoffs was just remarkable.

What is even more remarkable is that he hasn't learned shit. Contrary to some other ppl here I'm not surprised at all. He is a good coach in some ways but has some serious flaws.

SenorSpur
04-13-2012, 11:31 AM
It probably will cost them whatever chance they have, along with injuries. But it'll probably only cost them against the Lakers. They can beat the Grizzlies without it, especially if they continue with this big rotation (highly unlikely) or if Randolph can't get at least close to the level he was at last season.

People seem to forget, but Randolph isn't 7-1 or 7-2, he's a mere 6-9. Sure, he's extremely strong, but physically, they can do a reasonable enough job on him. And Gasol, for all his size, is just not a dominant rebounder. The two of them played above their heads in the playoffs last season and fooled people into thinking they're better than they are. I'm not saying they're not either the second or third best big duo in the league, because they definitely are. They just don't compare to the Lakers duo.

While all that is certainly true, the bottom line is both Gasol and Randolph are far more physical than any of the Spurs bigs. As such, the Spurs simply are ill-equipped to counter or respond with the limitations and deficiencies that they have along the frontline.

The Grizzlies pair usually outrebound and out -energize anyone Pop can throw at them. The philosophy of the Grizzlies, much like the Fakers, is that they do not care to employ bigs or stretch-4's that can shoot 3's. They want their bigs to do what bigs should do: Score inside the paint, protect the rim and muscle their way for rebounds.

Last year, even Darrell Arthur managed to routinely outmuscle and torch Bonner throughout that entire playoff series. Now that he's hurt, we've seen Maresse Speights is now doing the same thing.

Sadly, Pop seems to be either unwilling or unable to comprehend and responde the message being sent. Therefore in that sense, Pop is failing to maximize the waning years of Duncan's career by NOT providing him with adequate frontline help. I've been saying this for four years.

SenorSpur
04-13-2012, 11:36 AM

Goodbye #5.

Amen! :toast