PDA

View Full Version : Great Spurs article in today's NY Times

spurs1990
04-14-2012, 12:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/sports/basketball/in-san-antonio-duncan-and-popovich-work-well-together.html?_r=1&src=twrhp&pagewanted=print

Highlights the love affair between the Big two, in contrast with the acrimony found on other squads. Interesting no other prime-time player has had one coach his entire career.

In San Antonio, a Coach’s Player, a Player’s Coach

By HARVEY ARATON

SAN ANTONIO — Gregg Popovich has never worried that Tim Duncan will lobby management to get rid of him behind his back. They are as tethered to each other as this city is to the Alamo. For 15 of his 16 years as the Spurs’ coach, Popovich has told assistants, “We have the easiest job in the N.B.A. because of Tim Duncan, because of who he is and the way he conducts himself.”

But here in the land that N.B.A. time forgot — where there is no “I” in team, only in Tim — folks still face a universal chronological challenge. If growing apart is not a problem, growing old is. Duncan, the most minimalist superstar of the modern professional basketball era, will turn 36 on April 25. Popovich, the only N.B.A. coach Duncan has had and with whom he has won four championships, is 63.

Though reports of the Spurs’ competitive death were greatly exaggerated after they lost in the first round of the playoffs to Memphis last spring after a 61-victory regular season, the question persists even as their quest for a fifth title continues: how much life do they really have left in them?

“As for us being dead, it’s that way every year,” Duncan said with a shrug. “For a while now, it’s been, ‘We’re getting too old.’ I guess it’s going to happen eventually. Somebody’s going to be right.”

Duncan sat down to talk last week a few minutes after the doors to the Spurs’ practice center opened on the morning of their first meeting with the Los Angeles Lakers this season. A handful of reporters strolled in and scattered to various players and coaches, leaving Duncan to a rare visitor from out of town at the far side of the court.

After the interview, Tom James, the Spurs’ director of media services, said it had been the longest Duncan had done in a while. It had lasted 10 minutes.

Such is life with No Drama Duncan, who has become such a predictably understated fixture for this franchise that on some days he might as well be one of the basket stanchions. He has never sought attention or glory. When he considered leaving San Antonio as a free agent in 2001 — for Orlando — he did so without fanfare or folly.

Ultimately, Duncan stayed in San Antonio, where he lives year round, and seems overwhelmingly likely to finish his career as that rarest of N.B.A. commodities: a leading man who never forced change on himself (to another city) or on the franchise (by demanding a new coach).

On both of these issues, why would he have had to? Since Duncan has been here, patrolling the paint, the Spurs have never won fewer than 50 games in a nonlockout season and have the best winning percentage — just short of .700 — among franchises in the four major North American team sports.

“Unlike some other guys, I’ve been lucky,” he said. “With the teams we’ve had, with the focus of the people here wanting to put winning teams together, of having a system and sticking to it. There’s no better way to do it. It’s a special situation, obviously, and everybody can’t have it.

“In other places, coaches come in and out, and there are guys who have four or five in the same amount of years, and that’s a situation I can see why you’d want to get out of. But people changing for size of market? That I really don’t understand.”

When Duncan was asked if any of the young N.B.A. power brokers — for instance, Dwight Howard, who reportedly went backdoor in an attempt to oust Coach Stan Van Gundy in Orlando while refusing to commit to the franchise beyond next season — had ever sought his counsel on the benefits of laying deep roots, he shook his head and said, simply, “Nope.”

Told of the exchange, R. C. Buford, the Spurs’ general manager, laughed and said, “Very few people can have a conversation with Tim that would last long enough for them to get that much out of it.”

A star player does not have to be a lifer to develop a strong relationship with a coach that positively affects his team. A new coach can draw the very best from a player, as Phil Jackson proved in Chicago and Los Angeles with Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal. Perhaps Carmelo Anthony is on the way to establishing that brand of simpatico with Mike Woodson in New York.

But given the length of the Popovich-Duncan marriage, two competitive souls together for 15 years in so pressurized an environment, Buford called the dynamic almost too good to be true and virtually unheard of in the N.B.A. John Stockton and Karl Malone come to mind, but they did not play for Jerry Sloan during their early years in Utah, and Bill Russell — not Red Auerbach — coached himself during his last three years with the Celtics.

“I think this term is often overused, but there are very few relationships where the relationship between player and coach can be described as a real soulmate,” Buford said. “But we’ve been fortunate enough that Pop and Tim are connected that way. When things are tough, they’ve got that. That’s their rock.”

It is not because Popovich, an acerbic Air Force veteran, has not had his less amicable moments with Duncan.

“I probably get on him more than I get on, say, Gary Neal,” Popovich said, referring to a Spurs reserve guard. “ ‘Timmy, you getting a rebound tonight or are we just going to leave and go to dinner?’ He’ll look at me say, ‘Hey, I’m trying,’ but he can be criticized. He’s not embarrassed to be called out in front of the team.”

Over the years, Duncan has been granted some roster input, especially as the Spurs have overhauled a supporting cast for him, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker that had become long in the tooth and heavy in the legs. The additions of young players like Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green and DeJuan Blair — all starters in a deep, minutes-sharing rotation stitched together by Buford — have allowed Popovich to limit the minutes of Duncan and Ginobili, 34, while not missing a regular-season beat.

But is it enough for the Spurs — with their lack of high-wire skills and reliance on an international blend of team-first players — to survive two playoff months?

After his team briefly supplanted Oklahoma City as the Western Conference leader, Popovich unapologetically left Duncan, Parker and Ginobili home for a road game in Utah, where the Spurs’ 11-game winning streak ended. Three nights later, in what Popovich called “an embarrassing loss,” the Bryant-less Lakers dominated the Spurs with Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol making them appear small, earthbound and creaky.

The next night, Duncan put up vintage numbers ( 28 points and 12 rebounds) in a 107-97 victory over the Grizzlies, moving Popovich to gush, “He was a monster.”

Duncan’s contract is up after this season, and he dismisses talk of retirement.

“As long as I’m healthy, as long as I’m effective, I’m taking it as it comes,” he said. “It’s been a great year for me. Minutes are down. As a competitor, I want to play more, but honestly, I can’t beat feeling as healthy as I do. That’s why Pop regulates my time and being the bad guy at times when I want to be out there. In the long run, it helps me.”

And there lies the basis for longevity: a fundamental trust that can be confounding and elusive to some, not all, of the young and the restless.

“He’s got that kind of character, and a lot of people don’t understand what that means life-wise,” Popovich said. “You’re taking on a personal challenge. You put it on yourself. ‘No, I don’t need to be with so-and-so, and I don’t need to go someplace else. I’m going to do what I have to do, and I want to get it done here.’ ”

Here in south Texas, where Duncan has followed David Robinson’s lead of staying put, where the public-address announcer simply says “Tim at the line” when he shoots free throws and where even Popovich becomes misty-eyed when he takes a moment to consider the eventual end of the era.

As to its lasting effect on him, Popovich said, “It’s been an incredible opportunity, an incredible responsibility and an unbelievable gift to have somebody who is not just that good a basketball player, but is so respectful of the process that he trusts and allows us to coach.”

To which the beleaguered fraternity of X-and-O N.B.A. lifers would say, amen.

DesignatedT
04-14-2012, 12:39 PM
“As long as I’m healthy, as long as I’m effective, I’m taking it as it comes,” he said. “It’s been a great year for me. Minutes are down. As a competitor, I want to play more, but honestly, I can’t beat feeling as healthy as I do. That’s why Pop regulates my time and being the bad guy at times when I want to be out there. In the long run, it helps me.”

But SpursTalk says managing minutes doesn't do anything.

Blake
04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Pop getting misty eyed?

Fire him!

Slomo
04-14-2012, 12:47 PM
:tu

When Duncan was asked if any of the young N.B.A. power brokers — for instance, Dwight Howard, who reportedly went backdoor in an attempt to oust Coach Stan Van Gundy in Orlando while refusing to commit to the franchise beyond next season — had ever sought his counsel on the benefits of laying deep roots, he shook his head and said, simply, “Nope.”That's what I would have guessed, but it's still a sad thing to hear it confirmed. I mean in the mass of young stars that come to the league, you would hope that at least one has thought about following Tim's example - or at least expressed interest in it.

gameFACE
04-14-2012, 01:08 PM
None of the young stars of today like Howard and LeBron will ever amount to anything remotely close to what Duncan will be when he retires. Never. They don't have the inner strength, desire or mental fortitude to compete and win the way Duncan has.

There may not be much attention given to TD by the sports world today. But when he's gone he'll be talked about all the time. He'll be missed greatly.

Tim is a fucking bad ass.

timvp
04-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Great article :tu

JRHernandez88
04-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Cool read, thanks!

Spur|n|Austin
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Great read, thanks for sharing!

benefactor
04-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Very good read. Thanks for sharing it.

Splits
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Worthless article with no mention of Splitter's minutes and Pop destroying his career.

Spurs4#5
04-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Worthless article with no mention of Splitter's minutes and Pop destroying his career.
you're a fucking retard

sharkenleo
04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/04/15/sports/basketball/15spurs-graphic/15spurs-graphic-popup-v2.jpg

:D

TheSkeptic
04-14-2012, 02:26 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/04/15/sports/basketball/15spurs-graphic/15spurs-graphic-popup-v2.jpg

I never get tired of seeing this. :toast

HeroSquad
04-14-2012, 02:33 PM
you're a fucking retard

The blue font indicates sarcasm.

spurs10
04-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Fantastic article. Thanks for posting this. Tim Duncan is a class act, i'll always be honored to have seen him play.

Arcadian
04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Wow, so we're even better than the 80s Lakers and 60s Celtics? That's fucking amazing.

benefactor
04-14-2012, 02:59 PM

Easy to see why Spurs fans act so spoiled.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Really good article. Thanks for posting.

EVAY
04-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Just stunning, isn't it?

Super Great article too!!

TD 21
04-14-2012, 03:38 PM
But SpursTalk says managing minutes doesn't do anything.

No, people who pay attention say that going from 35 to 30 mpg helps, but that, with the shape the vast majority of these guys are in -- particularly those used to starters minutes -- the difference between, say 31 and 28 mpg, is nothing. The past two seasons most got their hopes up when they saw Duncan's regular season mpg, but he didn't go up a level in the playoffs. In fact, last playoffs, he went down a level. Maybe it was the ankle still not being 100%, but still. The proof is in the pudding.

If that still wasn't enough, then the Lakers game should have been. Two days off, marquee match-up and the big three were awful. Yet people like you are convinced that game some three weeks from now is suddenly going to pay off, fatigue wise.

MaNu4Tres
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
The past two seasons most got their hopes up when they saw Duncan's regular season mpg, but he didn't go up a level in the playoffs. In fact, last playoffs, he went down a level. Maybe it was the ankle still not being 100%, but still. The proof is in the pudding.

If that still wasn't enough, then the Lakers game should have been. Two days off, marquee match-up and the big three were awful. Yet people like you are convinced that game some three weeks from now is suddenly going to pay off, fatigue wise.

I had take on this issue few weeks ago. I think it's pretty foolish to ask or expect Manu and Tim (given their age) to play an efficient 35-40 minutes come playoff time. This is not 2005 or 2007 anymore. If Pop is smart and cares about maximizing their efficiency and effectiveness in the playoffs, he will limit their minutes more so than he has in recent playoff outings.

Here's the take I had on this issue:

I think they have to utilize their depth.

The past few playoff runs, Spurs have been terrible at executing down the stretch which could be because of Tim, Manu and Tony being gassed (playing more minutes than their bodies have grown accustomed to). I think in order to get the most out of the big 3, Pop will have to manage their minutes (especially Tim and Manu) to a slight extent.

In other words, I rather have Tim and Manu play a highly efficient 32-34 minutes and be sharp in crunch time, than have them play a sloppy/inefficient 38-42 minutes where they're not as sharp in crunch time-- which has been the case in recent years.

DMC
04-14-2012, 04:19 PM
With Tim's input on the roster, does he have input on minutes and does Tim not want to be on the floor at the same time as Tiago?

therealtruth
04-14-2012, 04:20 PM

You would think the Spurs would have won more championships over that period of time for being the best winning team. If that winning percentage held for the playoffs they probably would have. Over the past 15 years Pop's done a masterful job of winning during the regular season.

therealtruth
04-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I had take on this issue few weeks ago. I think it's pretty foolish to ask or expect Manu and Tim (given their age) to play an efficient 35-40 minutes come playoff time. This is not 2005 or 2007 anymore. If Pop is smart and cares about maximizing their efficiency and effectiveness in the playoffs, he will limit their minutes more so than he has in recent playoff outings.

Originally Posted by MaNu4Tres http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5746009#post5746009)
I think they have to utilize their depth.

The past few playoff runs, Spurs have been terrible at executing down the stretch which could be because of Tim, Manu and Tony being gassed (playing more minutes than their bodies have grown accustomed to). I think in order to get the most out of the big 3, Pop will have to manage their minutes (especially Tim and Manu) to a slight extent.

In other words, I rather have Tim and Manu play a highly efficient 32-34 minutes and be sharp in crunch time, than have them play a sloppy/inefficient 38-42 minutes where they're not as sharp in crunch time-- which has been the case in recent years.

You usually don't have a choice in the playoffs. The role players usually shrink which means more minutes for your stars.

TD 21
04-14-2012, 04:34 PM

I don't necessarily disagree and this is how I think Pop intends to handle it. I'm just saying, this notion that, by sitting them out of the Jazz came (for various reasons, I didn't like that decision), or by constantly holding them, particularly Ginobili, to some arbitrary minutes threshold, that they're "putting something in the bank for later", has been proven to be nothing more than a myth in recent seasons. Yet the masses still buy into it. I'm not suggesting running them into the ground, what I'm suggesting is, cutting out the maniacal, obsessive, over-managing.

And you can't just assume all of these young, unproven guys, are going to perform at the same level come playoff time. If it becomes obvious that their only chance is going to be to play Duncan and Ginobili major minutes and hope they can hold up, then so be it. That would be more of a last resort type thing though.

therealtruth
04-14-2012, 04:39 PM
It would be nice to have a comparison of minutes per game in the season and playoffs the last time the Spurs won in '07 and recent seasons. I am sure there should be some interesting information.

timvp
04-14-2012, 04:53 PM
You would think the Spurs would have won more championships over that period of time for being the best winning team. If that winning percentage held for the playoffs they probably would have. Over the past 15 years Pop's done a masterful job of winning during the regular season.

NASFs are amazing :lol

manufan10
04-14-2012, 05:05 PM

What's this new acronym? I missed this one somewhere down the road.

pgardn
04-14-2012, 05:54 PM

Theoretically a 1 in 16 chance every year. so 4 is about right on the money.

Spurious
04-14-2012, 05:54 PM
You would think the Spurs would have won more championships over that period of time for being the best winning team. If that winning percentage held for the playoffs they probably would have.

Yeah, the bum's .597 win percentage in the playoffs is just horrible.

pgardn
04-14-2012, 05:59 PM
NY Times still rules I guess.

Except..

Perhaps Carmelo Anthony is on the way to establishing that brand of simpatico with Mike Woodson in New York.

Perhaps is way too definitive in this dream. If winning is to be part of simpatico.

therealtruth
04-14-2012, 07:22 PM

I'm not sure what NASF is but it wasn't a knock or troll just an observation.

Marco
04-14-2012, 07:44 PM
NASF = New Age Spurs Fans

Danny.Zhu
04-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Great read.

PublicOption
04-15-2012, 03:59 AM

Can't ESPN throw this up every once in a while.....damn.

everybody email this to every "sports" radio and TV outlet you know.:ihit

PublicOption
04-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Yeah, the bum's .597 win percentage in the playoffs is just horrible.

That's because in the playoffs it becomes 5 on 8.:bang