PDA

View Full Version : Can the Lakers beat last years Mavericks....

ChrisRichards
04-14-2012, 08:20 PM
If Bynum is playing the way he's playing right now and Ramon Sessions is manning the point position instead of Fisher?

Would that make any difference? Or would Dallas still murder the Lakers in 4 games?

Your unbias thoughts?

Ashy Larry
04-14-2012, 08:33 PM
lakers maybe get a game, possibly two but no way they beat that Mavs squad. They just couldn't miss ........

Giuseppe
04-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Hell, I'd settle just to have The Skunker preserved. I miss that SOB.

DontStopBelieving
04-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Idk.

/thread

whitemamba
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
does it matter?

mercos
04-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Not sure anyone was beating the Mavs last year with as hot as they were. Bynum is not stopping perimeter jumpers.

NewcastleKEG
04-14-2012, 09:30 PM
This hypothetical question hinges on whether or not Bynum is still cheap shooting Barea. I cannot make an educated guess until this information is disclosed

Ryan Fitzpatrick
04-14-2012, 09:30 PM
No.

Axe Murderer
04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
If Bynum is playing the way he's playing right now and Ramon Sessions is manning the point position instead of Fisher?

Would that make any difference? Or would Dallas still murder the Lakers in 4 games?

Your unbias thoughts?

My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.
Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

pass1st
04-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Only if Kobe was decently efficient, Bynum beasted, Gasol showed up and Sessions was allowed to dictate where the ball went.

Even then, could go either way, they were just on fire

Giuseppe
04-14-2012, 09:34 PM
My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.
Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

:lol

Jelloisjigglin
04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Where is the who gives a shit option?

scanry
04-14-2012, 10:11 PM
That last year's Mavs team closed out games maybe better than anyone that i can think of over the past decade. That 2001 Laker team doesn't cout though. They murdered nba teams in that playoffs.

wanggi
04-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Forget about this season.
The Lakers will be a better team if they amnesty Rapist and add an athlete next season.

Giuseppe
04-14-2012, 10:46 PM
^You're O & 43!!!

LkrFan
04-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Yes. This squad is defensive minded and is not dog tired from playing 100+ games for 3 consecutive years. Kobe isn't playing on a bum knee. This year's Bynum would handle Daddy Tyson. Sessions is a huge upgrade over Fish as evidenced by him outplaying CP3 (twice), D-Will, and TP.

It would have been Lakers in 6 tbh.

midnightpulp
04-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes. This squad is defensive minded and is not dog tired from playing 100+ games for 3 consecutive years. This year's Bynum would handle Daddy Tyson. Sessions is a huge upgrade over Fish as evidenced by him outplaying CP3 (twice), D-Will, and TP.

It would have been Lakers in 6 tbh.

Homer til the end.

LkrFan
04-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Homer til the end.

The opinions I presented are major factors that contributed to the Lakers' demise. It's not like I said we would have swept them.

Latarian Milton
04-14-2012, 11:00 PM
mavs are no more then a 1st round fodder even if they can make it this year tbh, mavs are fucked w/ TC gone and its safe to say any western playoff team would beat them in a best of 7 series.

western teams just pathetic imho they're gonna fight their asses off for the western championship, and the right to get asskicked by us in the finals. u fags ain't havin nary chance @ the NBA fucking championship tbh

midnightpulp
04-14-2012, 11:07 PM
The opinions I presented are major factors that contributed to the Lakers' demise. It's not like I said we would have swept them.

I know you're dusting off the shelf for number 12 after the Lakers dominated the Spurs, but this year's Lakers team isn't any better than last year's. Aside from that one game against the Spurs, the Lakers (with or without Kobe) have looked unimpressive all season. Last year's Lakers team was deeper, better coached, and healthier. They even had a stretch during the part of season we are in now where they went 17-1 and looked near unbeatable, which had you guys preemptively bragging about another 3 peat.

No way the current Lakers beat last year's Mavericks.

(and lol at the "300 games in 3 years" excuse. As if a world class athlete doesn't or can't recover between seasons during the Summer.)

Venti Quattro
04-14-2012, 11:12 PM
They can. Will they?

LkrFan
04-14-2012, 11:37 PM
I know you're dusting off the shelf for number 12 after the Lakers dominated the Spurs, but this year's Lakers team isn't any better than last year's. Aside from that one game against the Spurs, the Lakers (with or without Kobe) have looked unimpressive all season. Last year's Lakers team was deeper, better coached, and healthier. They even had a stretch during the part of season we are in now where they went 17-1 and looked near unbeatable, which had you guys preemptively bragging about another 3 peat.

No way the current Lakers beat last year's Mavericks.

(and lol at the "300 games in 3 years" excuse. As if a world class athlete doesn't or can't recover between seasons during the Summer.)

1) We are healthier than last year. Kobe couldn't close last year. This year he's physically much better (right now he's resting for a deep playoff run. If playoffs were today he'd be in the starting lineup).

2) Last year the Lakers tuned out PJ and paid the ultimate price. They were well coached, but too beat up to respond appropriately.

3) Veteran teams who are banged up, playing the equivalent to an extra season (compacted within a 3-year time frame) without competent reinforcements will have issues. Just as we saw.

4) No, I'm not using the Spur beatdown as a barometer for this year's squad. I knew that it would take a long time for this team to come together after 12 years of running the triangle. They have new defensive and offensive philosophies to integrate into their attack. Now that they are figuring it out (and we've upgraded the PG position) we are seeing glimpses of what this team can do. It's still a work in progress.

5) Kobe. He is seeing first hand what this squad can do by utilizing the bigs. For those of you hoping, wishing, and praying that he comes back and messes up their flow, don't count on it. Remember, he knows how to play with a dominating low post presence. In 2007 when Drew went down (right before the Pau trade) Kobe took it on himself to carry the offense. Once Pau got on board and they had the offense figured out (Pau made a seamless transition into the triangle BTW), they ran all the way to 3 consecutive Finals. This year is no different. While the Lakers were trying to figure it out, he did the same thing (you guys call it chucking :lol). Now they are figuring it out without him. He is sitting back, watching ways that he can contribute. It should be fun when he gets back.

You can sleep on the Lakers if you want. It just wouldn't be wise. They're still very formidable. I'll sit back and watch how all of it unfolds. :toast

ElNono
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Last year's Mavs had JJ Barea....

Game Over

monosylab1k
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
LOL is Dirk still using Gasol as his personal jizz rag? Oh yeah, that always happens when they meet in the playoffs.

ElNono
04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
People have spoken... lol LkrFan and whoever else voted Lakers

midnightpulp
04-14-2012, 11:58 PM
1) We are healthier than last year. Kobe couldn't close last year. This year he's physically much better (right now he's resting for a deep playoff run. If playoffs were today he'd be in the starting lineup).

2) Last year the Lakers tuned out PJ and paid the ultimate price. They were well coached, but too beat up to respond appropriately.

3) Veteran teams who are banged up, playing the equivalent to an extra season (compacted within a 3-year time frame) without competent reinforcements will have issues. Just as we saw.

4) No, I'm not using the Spur beatdown as a barometer for this year's squad. I knew that it would take a long time for this team to come together after 12 years of running the triangle. They have new defensive and offensive philosophies to integrate into their attack. Now that they are figuring it out (and we've upgraded the PG position) we are seeing glimpses of what this team can do. It's still a work in progress.

5) Kobe. He is seeing first hand what this squad can do by utilizing the bigs. For those of you hoping, wishing, and praying that he comes back and messes up their flow, don't count on it. Remember, he knows how to play with a dominating low post presence. In 2007 when Drew went down (right before the Pau trade) Kobe took it on himself to carry the offense. Once Pau got on board and they had the offense figured out (Pau made a seamless transition into the triangle BTW), they ran all the way to 3 consecutive Finals. This year is no different. While the Lakers were trying to figure it out, he did the same thing (you guys call it chucking :lol). Now they are figuring it out without him. He is sitting back, watching ways that he can contribute. It should be fun when he gets back.

You can sleep on the Lakers if you want. It just wouldn't be wise. They're still very formidable. I'll sit back and watch how all of it unfolds. :toast

And you'd expect a "work-in-progress" team to beat last year's champs? :lol:

However, most of your points are legitimate (although I highly disagree with the "tired" excuse. If you can't come into the season ready to play after close to 5 months of off-season, you need to reevaluate your training regimen and/or hire a sports psychologist) but they still don't explain how these Lakers would beat last year's Mavs.

The '12 Lakers have proven absolutely jack-shit other than they're a guarantee to blow a big lead. The '11 Mavericks won the NBA Championship, sweeping a Lakers team not too different from the current one.

LkrFan
04-15-2012, 12:02 AM

I guess that settles it then. Remember the masses also were enamored with TD: 4 / Kobe: 3 or Kobe couldn't win without Shaq. They assumed that would always be the case. How'd that turn out? :lol

Don't be so quick to take opinions as facts. :toast

Venti Quattro
04-15-2012, 12:03 AM

I picked the Lakers heeeeeeeeeeey-o :lol

ElNono
04-15-2012, 12:04 AM
I picked the Lakers heeeeeeeeeeey-o :lol

sttttttoooooooopppppppssssss

Venti Quattro
04-15-2012, 12:06 AM
sttttttoooooooopppppppssssss

LA i saaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid

LkrFan
04-15-2012, 12:23 AM
And you'd expect a "work-in-progress" team to beat last year's champs? :lol:

However, most of your points are legitimate (although I highly disagree with the "tired" excuse. If you can't come into the season ready to play after close to 5 months of off-season, you need to reevaluate your training regimen and/or hire a sports psychologist) but they still don't explain how these Lakers would beat last year's Mavs.

The '12 Lakers have proven absolutely jack-shit other than they're a guarantee to blow a big lead. The '11 Mavericks won the NBA Championship, sweeping a Lakers team not too different from the current one.

Work in progress means that there will be some ups and downs. There are so many more offensive options that have not been explored yet. Why? Because they are not a finished product - far from it tbh.

We are seeing the results of having a true PG. People clowned MWP all year until Sessions showed up. Before Sessions, we were relying upon Fisher to pass to him (and other role players) in their sweets pots. Futile at best. Go back and check a few Laker box scores. Since Sessions has arrived, MWP and Barnes both have had an increase in their production.

The playoff rotation will be shortened. This won't guarantee that they won't squander leads but the idea of that happening will be lessened. Depending on health or foul trouble, the only players that will see the floor are Barnes, Blake, McBob, and Murphy. That should be it (although I'd rather see Glock get backup minutes behind Kobe).

This team is different than last years. This team features Bynum. And guess what? He delivered the goods in rout to his first all star appearance. We are also defending better than last year. There has been a lull as of late, but that's because they are learning how to integrate Sessions. As you saw against against TP, he's a better defender than Fish. So it stands to reason that we'll be better defensively than last year.

Again, it's a work in progress. When the game slows down in the playoffs, it will be to the Lakers' advantage. Lakers have the best halfcourt team in the NBA. Now that we have a speedy pass first PG, we will see a spike in fast break points, increased efficiency amongst the scrubs, and the opposing PGs don't automatically get a night off. Should be fun.

DMC
04-15-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't get the point of the question. Is this year's Lakers squad better than last year's squad? No, they aren't better. They had Odom who was beasting off the bench, and other than the Sessions/Fisher thing, they didn't get any better imo. What makes them dangerous though is Kobe being out. It changes the team to a team that Mike Brown can now coach. Just use the old 4 down that Pop uses and Bynum will get it done. With 15-20 more attempts than your opponent gets (due to offensive boards), Lakers would be a totally different squad. Put Kobe back in and it's hit or miss (literally) with long rebounds and no ball movement.

But either way, that team that beat the Heat wasn't going to be stopped at all, not by anyone.

wanggi
04-15-2012, 12:36 AM
^You're O & 43!!!

Where're you hiding dear?

Jacob1983
04-15-2012, 12:37 AM
The Lakers may not win their division.

ElNono
04-15-2012, 12:45 AM
We are seeing the results of having a true PG. People clowned MWP all year until Sessions showed up. Before Sessions, we were relying upon Fisher to pass to him (and other role players) in their sweets pots. Futile at best. Go back and check a few Laker box scores. Since Sessions has arrived, MWP and Barnes both have had an increase in their production.

Uh?

MWP since Sessions arrived and until Kobe quit:
FG: 47-116 40%
3P: 17-49 34%

MWP after Kobe quit:
FG: 26-44 59%
3P: 10-19 52%

:stirpot:

LkrFan
04-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Uh?

MWP since Sessions arrived and until Kobe quit:
FG: 47-116 40%
3P: 17-49 34%

MWP after Kobe quit:
FG: 26-44 59%
3P: 10-19 52%

:stirpot:

Nice :downspin: job. :lol Fact is, he's now in shape unlike the beginning of the season. People act like he never knew how to play. If not for The Brawl, he would have rang in Indiana. He was that good. In Houston, he helped push the Lakers to a game 7 minus T-Mac and Yau. In his first year with LA we've all seen how clutch he can be. Ask PP :lol. Is he the same player he used to be? No, but he can still play. Just ask Mr. Leonard :lol.

He has received more shot attempts since Kobe has been out. I'll give you that. But just like I predicted, his production is spiking, now that we have someone who can get him the rock in his sweet spots. Sessions is helping MWP provide the Lakers with an element we haven't seen in a long time: a 5th option.

The way Sessions runs P&R, it causes teams to switch and guard him on the block with a PG or SG (both mismatches that favor the Lakers). Pau's silky jumper allows it to happen because they have to account for him or he'll swish an 18 footer. Bynum's presence allows it or he will be one on one with his defender. Kobe's presence allows it to happen because he is the most complete player in the game. Sessions' presence allows it to happen because due to his speed, if they don't account for him it's a layup, or a lob to Bynum for a dunk, or an uncontested floater in the lane.

MWP is turning into a legit 5th option that teams will have to account for. Neal with it. :downspin:

ElNono
04-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Sessions was finding him on the court while Kobe was out there too... :downspin:

:lol getting in shape

LkrFan
04-15-2012, 02:43 AM
Sessions was finding him on the court while Kobe was out there too... :downspin:

:lol getting in shape

I think you get my point. My job is done here. :lol

Jodelo
04-15-2012, 06:02 AM
mavs are no more then a 1st round fodder even if they can make it this year tbh, mavs are fucked w/ TC gone and its safe to say any western playoff team would beat them in a best of 7 series.

western teams just pathetic imho they're gonna fight their asses off for the western championship, and the right to get asskicked by us in the finals. u fags ain't havin nary chance @ the NBA fucking championship tbh

Nice job reading the OP...

I say Mavs in 5, no team would have beaten them last year. They were hot when it counted!

Aaaaand you just could not score against them or stop them from scoring in crunch time!

Muser
04-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Mavs in an even more lopsided series imo.

ChrisRichards
04-15-2012, 07:59 AM
I don't get the point of the question. Is this year's Lakers squad better than last year's squad? No, they aren't better. They had Odom who was beasting off the bench, and other than the Sessions/Fisher thing, they didn't get any better imo. What makes them dangerous though is Kobe being out. It changes the team to a team that Mike Brown can now coach. Just use the old 4 down that Pop uses and Bynum will get it done. With 15-20 more attempts than your opponent gets (due to offensive boards), Lakers would be a totally different squad. Put Kobe back in and it's hit or miss (literally) with long rebounds and no ball movement.

But either way, that team that beat the Heat wasn't going to be stopped at all, not by anyone.

I think the Lakers this year are better than last year. Bynum was a solid starting center last season, this year, he erupted and became a dominant All Star player. Odom was playing lights out, true, but this year Matt Barnes found a better role and has been playing consistently all year. Ron Artest is also way better this season. Its a small sample, but his numbers are peaking at the right time. He's been playing better ball in March and April. Kobe is chucking at a horrible rate, but truthfully, minus the chukcing part, he's in better shape physically this year before the shin incident.

Last year, LA was horrible defensively, this year, they are a lot better.

Sessions won't stop Barrea, but I feel like with him instead of Fisher and assuming the Lakers will continue their stellar play into the playoffs, I think they have a fighters chance to alter the outcome.

BUMP
04-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Nice :downspin: job. :lol Fact is, he's now in shape unlike the beginning of the season. People act like he never knew how to play. If not for The Brawl, he would have rang in Indiana. He was that good. In Houston, he helped push the Lakers to a game 7 minus T-Mac and Yau. In his first year with LA we've all seen how clutch he can be. Ask PP :lol. Is he the same player he used to be? No, but he can still play. Just ask Mr. Leonard :lol.

He has received more shot attempts since Kobe has been out. I'll give you that. But just like I predicted, his production is spiking, now that we have someone who can get him the rock in his sweet spots. Sessions is helping MWP provide the Lakers with an element we haven't seen in a long time: a 5th option.

The way Sessions runs P&R, it causes teams to switch and guard him on the block with a PG or SG (both mismatches that favor the Lakers). Pau's silky jumper allows it to happen because they have to account for him or he'll swish an 18 footer. Bynum's presence allows it or he will be one on one with his defender. Kobe's presence allows it to happen because he is the most complete player in the game. Sessions' presence allows it to happen because due to his speed, if they don't account for him it's a layup, or a lob to Bynum for a dunk, or an uncontested floater in the lane.

MWP is turning into a legit 5th option that teams will have to account for. Neal with it. :downspin:

:nope benefactor exposed your intentionally acting retarded schtick. You've got some explaining to do imho. :downspin: that fuckstick

DMC
04-15-2012, 11:47 AM
I think the Lakers this year are better than last year. Bynum was a solid starting center last season, this year, he erupted and became a dominant All Star player. Odom was playing lights out, true, but this year Matt Barnes found a better role and has been playing consistently all year. Ron Artest is also way better this season. Its a small sample, but his numbers are peaking at the right time. He's been playing better ball in March and April. Kobe is chucking at a horrible rate, but truthfully, minus the chukcing part, he's in better shape physically this year before the shin incident.

Last year, LA was horrible defensively, this year, they are a lot better.

Sessions won't stop Barrea, but I feel like with him instead of Fisher and assuming the Lakers will continue their stellar play into the playoffs, I think they have a fighters chance to alter the outcome.

This year's Lakers couldn't even have beaten last year's Heat. You cannot take a 3 game sample and call that "this year's Lakers".

BUMP
04-15-2012, 03:49 PM
:lol at everyone ignoring the elephant in the room in the argument about last year's Lakers.

idk why people say "with the way Bynum is playing this year" when he was the best Laker in the series last year. Gasol shriveling up was the real issue. In theory, him and Dirk should cancel each other out if they guard one another. For some reason, everytime Dirk's in the vicinity, Pau shits his pants

redzero
04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
No Odom, Gasol and Kobe are a year older, and they have a coach who doesn't really do shit. Same result, unless Gasol doesn't shrivel up for the entire playoffs again. How many good games did he have last postseason? Two?

baseline bum
04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Nope... and neither could the 10 Lakers, 09 Lakers, nor 08 Lakers.

mavs>spurs
04-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm starting to wonder if they could have beaten us last year if they just sat Kirby..:lol