PDA

View Full Version : So who sits out on Monday vs GS?

Dunc n Dave
04-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Tim?
Manu?
Tony?
No one?

Would make for an interesting vbookie....:toast

Dex
04-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Considering the Warriors are in a tailspin and the Lakers are one of the few teams the Spurs really need wins against, the smart money would be on the Big 3 sitting tomorrow and playing in LA. We'll see how much Pop thinks of "smart money" though...

Then again, if Spurs managed to win both of the next games, that officially puts the Lakers in the rearview mirror. Might be wise to go for both of them, then if you can pull off that feat, you can rest the team against Sacramento without having much to worry about standings-wise.

Knoxxx
04-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Looks to me we need 3 wins to hold off the Lakers regardless of tiebreak.

My guess would be the big 3 play Monday, Wed, and then Friday against the Lakers. I think the sit against the Lakers on Tuesday, and we essentially concede that one due to scheduling. Tomorrow night will tell the tale.

spurs1990
04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
The alternative is to rest players again LA thereby eliminating the possibility of getting beat again, which stands at about 50/50 tbh.

Dunc n Dave
04-15-2012, 08:42 PM
In the first back to back to back, Pop sat out one of the Big 3 in each game though. If he holds to that, I think Duncan sits vs GS, Manu sits vs the Lakers, Parker sits vs. Sac.

At least that was the order they sat in the first 3 in 3....

bklynspursfan
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Definitely sit Tim, we'll need him vs Lakers/Kings more than GS.

I guess Manu will sit vs LA and TP vs Sac. Or vice versa to give Manu extra rest as he'd have 2 days rest for Friday's showdown with LA

timtonymanu
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Big 3 off tomorrow again, but they better not play like shit against the Lakers again.

hooperflash
04-15-2012, 08:55 PM
No one please, but if someone does sit my guess is Ginobili and TD

Beaverfuzz
04-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Sit nobody.

Mel_13
04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Sit nobody.

Treat tomorrow like the Phoenix game. Play everyone and go for the blowout with the expectation that the Big 3 play short minutes. Then everyone goes against the Lakers. Rest against Sacramento if needed.

letmk
04-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Under the circumstances, I would play everyone in the first 2 games, then rest some of them in the 3rd game v. Kings depending on whether we have blow-out games either way.

If we rest players in the 1st game, that might actually put too much pressure on the 2nd game. Either we lost to the Lakers, which would be the worst thing, or we win ugly, which still doesn't give the team a good feeling.

100%duncan
04-15-2012, 09:12 PM
I want TP to play, just didn't see the good effect on sitting the Utah game.

Knoxxx
04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Well I thought it was stupid how we handled the Utah game, blowing an 11-game win streak and huge amount of momentum that went with it. Second time Pop has done that. I thought alternating Tony/Manu sitting out would have better for our offense, which sort of goes with the staggered big 3 rest idea rather than sitting them all at once. I don't like throwing games, I want to figure out a way to win them all.

Back to reality here, the second remaining game against the Lakers is a lot bigger in my mind. If we went all out to win Tuesday against them, chances we lose all 3 on the road go up a lot. Need to play the odds here, and use the Big 3 to get the sure wins Mon and Wed.

LAL fans can stick them high dollar tix up their ass while we throw that game, then kick their butt Friday to lock down the #2 seed.

cd98
04-15-2012, 09:22 PM
The bigger question is does Jefferson have a revenge game against us and actually play Like we thought he would when we traded for him?

DatBoyGood
04-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Play the big 3 limited minutes tomorrow, then go all out vs La, then rest vs Sac

Spurtacus
04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
The big 3 won't sit tomorrow. Its possible Diaw or Blair get a DNP.

Dunc n Dave
04-15-2012, 09:54 PM
The bigger question is does Jefferson have a revenge game against us and actually play Like we thought he would when we traded for him?

Last I saw, RJ was "injured" (code for GS tanking by playing all rookies and D-Leaguers tog et a higher draft pick). Didn't play yesterday vs. the Clippers...

Keepin' it real
04-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Sit out? Why? Is someone injured?

benefactor
04-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Treat tomorrow like the Phoenix game. Play everyone and go for the blowout with the expectation that the Big 3 play short minutes. Then everyone goes against the Lakers. Rest against Sacramento if needed.
:tu

timvp
04-15-2012, 10:43 PM
It's a tough decision for Pop. He could go a lot of different ways. The Suns game being easy probably changed the equation some because now the Spurs probably don't need rest. Still, I'd be tempted to rest the Big 3 against the Warriors since it's a very winnable game even without those three.

Then again, the last time the Spurs forfeited a game before they played the Lakers, things didn't go too swimmingly, tbh.

The only scenario I'd be totally against would be to forfeit the Lakers game. That would be dumb on a number of levels ... with the top level being the fact that it'd probably guarantee the Lakers being in the same bracket.

NASpurs
04-15-2012, 10:52 PM

I agree with this. Give everyone double digit minutes against the Warriors and hopefully the Spurs go into the Lakers game with a rhythm and some fury. Then Pop can rest whoever he wants against the Kings.

Yorae
04-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Play the Big three in the first half to build a big lead then sit them out the rest of the game.

ElNono
04-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Put a 10-15 minute limit on the big 3 and take it as a small practice...

If it's a blowout, it's a blowout... if it isn't, the non big-3 will duke it out.

loveforthegame
04-15-2012, 11:03 PM
The Warriors are so depleted that the big 3 could sit out. However we know what happened the last time the big 3 sat out before the Lakers.

I'd play them limited minutes, go all out against the Lakers, and sit whoever against the Kings.

Legacy
04-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Sit nobody.

I like these two answers right here.

Lawdy... it's tiresome just keeping up with this crap. :dizzy ... BUT I also don't get paid millions and millions of dollars to just sit on my ass, show up to work (or not, again), etc, etc, WTFever. I'm just a spectator, that's all. :wow

Dex
04-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Yes, the Spurs players should definitely play every game they are healthy enough to play. Even the meaningless ones. It sure worked out well against Phoenix last season.

Legacy
04-15-2012, 11:19 PM
The alternative is to rest players again LA thereby eliminating the possibility of getting beat again, which stands at about 50/50 tbh.

I LOVE your avi, spurs1990! <3 :lol

therealtruth
04-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Yes, the Spurs players should definitely play every game they are healthy enough to play. Even the meaningless ones. It sure worked out well against Phoenix last season.

What do you count as a meaningless game? Since they've made the playoffs and have a guaranteed top 4 seed maybe they should forfeit the remaining games?

Legacy
04-15-2012, 11:29 PM

LIVE IN THE NOW, MAN! NOW!

It's not up to us anyway. Shhiieeeeettttttt. You should already know that. :P

100%duncan
04-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Put a 10-15 minute limit on the big 3 and take it as a small practice...

If it's a blowout, it's a blowout... if it isn't, the non big-3 will duke it out.

This

Dex
04-15-2012, 11:39 PM
What do you count as a meaningless game? Since they've made the playoffs and have a guaranteed top 4 seed maybe they should forfeit the remaining games?

I still consider finishing ahead of the Lakers a priority, so yes, the Spurs still have some business to take care of. That being said, if the Spurs have any "gimme" games left in the schedule, the one against Golden State is one of them.

My comment is more directed to the "always play your stars / if you're not injured, don't sit" crowd. Teams have always rested their stars closer to playoff time. The Spurs just happen to be more on the extreme side of things.

And yes, I'm also bitter that Pop trotted out the Big Three against Phoenix in the last game of the season last year (in a mostly meaningless game), and what happens? Manu gets hurt, and the Spurs playoff hopes go down the drain before they've even started.

Personally, once we eclipse the Lakers, I wouldn't mind if our core rested every remaining game if I wasn't worried about them losing their rhythm.

DAF86
04-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Rest no-one. If the game is easy (as it should be), the big three shouldn't play more than 20/23 minutes. If that's the case, you go all out against LA. If it's close, rest them against LA, fuck regular season messages.

If you rest the big three in some of the non-LA games you have a big chance of going 1-2. If you rest them in LA, you have a big chance of going 2-1. I prefer 2-1 to 1-2.

TampaDude
04-16-2012, 12:14 AM
We just need to finish ahead of the Lakers. I'm not worried about the Thunder, because we can beat them in OKC, but we really want to have HCA if we meet the Lakers in the playoffs...they have a huge advantage at the Staples Center.

Right now, we have #2 almost locked up, so our playoff matchups are looking like:
Rockets
Lakers/Mavs
Thunder

Then almost surely the Bulls or Heat in the Finals. :lobt2:

TampaDude
04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
fuck regular season messages.

WERD...in 2007, we were winless against the Cavs in the regular season, then swept their ass in the Finals. Regular season means dick.

therealtruth
04-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Personally, once we eclipse the Lakers, I wouldn't mind if our core rested every remaining game if I wasn't worried about them losing their rhythm.

That was Pop's argument for playing them in the Phoenix game. Ironically it was also his argument for them losing in the first round.

Fireball
04-16-2012, 05:42 AM

Manu could have broken his arm in the first game against Memphis as well. Pop made the decision to play the Big Three in that Phoenix game so they would not have a week or so off before the first playoff game so that they are not rusty. I still think it was the right decision ... accidents happen.

boutons_deux
04-16-2012, 05:48 AM
does the qualifier "tbh" mean the poster is on usually lying, not being "h", and must signal occasional, exceptional honesty?

bklynspursfan
04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Even more reason to sit Timmy tonight.

"With that we bring you the news Golden State has shut down David Lee for the remainder of the season due to his injuries, reports the Contra Costa Times (via IamaGM)."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/16/golden-state-shuts-down-david-lee-for-season/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bruno
04-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Spurs goal for the reminder of the season should be to avoid Lakers in a potential WCSF series.

For the first game of the b2b2b, Pop should play everybody with limited minutes. After that, it will depend on the result of the Clippers/Thunder game that will be played at the same time:
- If Thunder win, Spurs should try to beat Lakers the next day.
- If Clippers win, Spurs should tank the Lakers game.

2Cleva
04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I just took a look at the Spurs ending schedule - that's horrible. No wonder Pop is pissed with the NBA.

vma16
04-16-2012, 10:18 AM
F*** this sucks, Today will be my first Spurs game ever (international student) :( i hope i get to see the big three play at least 10 minutes each

rmt
04-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Spurs goal for the reminder of the season should be to avoid Lakers in a potential WCSF series (and stay healthy/relatively rested).

For the first game of the b2b2b, Pop should play everybody with limited minutes. After that, it will depend on the result of the Clippers/Thunder game that will be played at the same time:
- If Thunder win, Spurs should try to beat Lakers the next day.
- If Clippers win, Spurs should tank the Lakers game.

Agree with everything except Duncan shouldn't play GSW (down a big man in David Lee). Spurs want to stay even in the loss column with OKC so that SA can choose whether to be #1 or #2 in the last (late) game of the season. If SA gets ahead of OKC, they'll be stuck in #1 and LA can tank to get SA (although they probably don't want to do this if MEM is #5 - hmmm DAL/MEM?).

Sit Blair vs all LAL games.

cheguevara
04-16-2012, 10:34 AM
nobody sits tonight. They'll try to put the game away early. If yes, then players get rest anyway and all play in LA. If no, then Pop will sit big 3 vs. LA.

smaka
04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
F*** this sucks, Today will be my first Spurs game ever (international student) :( i hope i get to see the big three play at least 10 minutes each

I'm jealous!

Back to the topic, I think there is no need to rest anybody. I believe we can provide solid advantage quite early, and then limit the big 3 to play only around 20 mins as vs. Phoenix.
I think we should win this game anyway tbh.

Oh well, except Dick is going to explode hahaha :lmao

Solid D
04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Agree with everything except Duncan shouldn't play GSW (down a big man in David Lee). Spurs want to stay even in the loss column with OKC so that SA can choose whether to be #1 or #2 in the last (late) game of the season. If SA gets ahead of OKC, they'll be stuck in #1 and LA can tank to get SA (although they probably don't want to do this if MEM is #5 - hmmm DAL/MEM?).

Sit Blair vs all LAL games.

The Spurs have 2 games in hand (58 games to OKC's 60) but only 1 game in hand after Wednesday night. It would be good to get an easy one without exercising your key players, so I say 0-10 min for Tim, Manu and Tony. GS needs to tank the game. GS wants to tank the game.

jiggy_55
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Duncan today, Manu vs Kings

Reck
04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I would not sit anyone. Maybe Timmy but no one else.

Tony needs to be on the court and work on whatever his issue is.

Last time resting them worked out like a charm. :rolleyes

Dex
04-16-2012, 12:46 PM

ggXmKPMaHMo

Reck
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
No kidding.

Splits
04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
I would not sit anyone. Maybe Timmy but no one else.

Tony needs to be on the court and work on whatever his issue is.

I don't know what "last time" refers to, but if it is the last time we had a b2b2b each of the big 3 sat one game and we won all three games. So umm, yeah, that did work out like a charm.

ace3g
04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
TP just said everyone will play tonight on his show.

Splits
04-16-2012, 01:26 PM
If true, there goes the rest-1-of-the-big-3-per-game approach. If we tank the LA game tomorrow on national TV, I am going to laugh hysterically. The meltdown will be hilarious.

therealtruth
04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
If true, there goes the rest-1-of-the-big-3-per-game approach. If we tank the LA game tomorrow on national TV, I am going to laugh hysterically. The meltdown will be hilarious.

I hope you're not one of the fans that complains about the lack of respect from the media cause actions like that certainly don't help.

bklynspursfan
04-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Knowing Pop. That's what he's going to do. He did that vs the Lakers either a year or 2 ago as well on national TV And we kept it close.

It'd be a real drag if he does that. :depressed

I'd like to see how our guys respond after that beating they took. Not to mention we play them again on Friday

vma16
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
TP just said everyone will play tonight on his show.

Crossing my fingers!

ajballer4
04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Hmmm. I think his thought process is, we can easily blow this team out. I bet he sends the Big 3 out for basically a warm up, and then pulls them. Even without a big lead, I can't imagine them playing over 20 min. Which opens the door for all to play tomorrow, and if need be, rest in Sac-town in another winnable game

loveforthegame
04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I'll be at the game tonight so I'm happy everyone is playing.

Hoping it's limited minutes so all will be available tomorrow night though. Would really hate for Pop to tank that game.

I'll also be at the Kings game.

vma16
04-16-2012, 02:13 PM
I'll be at the game tonight so I'm happy everyone is playing.

Hoping it's limited minutes so all will be available tomorrow night though. Would really hate for Pop to tank that game.

I'll also be at the Kings game.

hey!! spurs fan in oracle! i'll be there, first game ever!

i was thinking in going with the Argentinean national team jersey, do you think that is a good idea? i heard people in oracle are not that hostile with the Spurs

Kuestmaster
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I'd sit Tony tonight. Play Timmy and Manu tonight and tomorrow and rest them against Sacramento.
Play everyone against the Lakers.

DesignatedT
04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Pop will rest them all against LA. Get 2 wins on the b2b2b and then play LA full strength at home in a must win game, which we will win.

loveforthegame
04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
hey!! spurs fan in oracle! i'll be there, first game ever!

i was thinking in going with the Argentinean national team jersey, do you think that is a good idea? i heard people in oracle are not that hostile with the Spurs

Oracle is a great place to watch a game. The fans are very fair. I've been to at least 30 games there over the years and have never had trouble with anyone. They're loud but friendly.

You've picked a great arena to see your first game. Wear that Argentinean jersey proud. :flag:

MANUUU
04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm going to the Warriors game tonight and I don't care, I'm going to be all Spurs out! from head to toe! I finally get to see my favorite team live! This is going to be my first spurs game and I hope they dont see the big 3 out. I at least want to see them play a couple minutes. :)

easy7
04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
According to Mike Taylor at ticket 760-JR will sit out tonight for the warriors... so you guys and girls will get no dick tonight. :lmao

Mel_13
04-17-2012, 08:47 PM