PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at the trades for LAL

pass1st
04-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Is LAL better off with getting Sessions for peanuts instead of pushing Gasol for CP3?

How would the team look if Bynum was somehow swapped for Howard, which seemed to be what LALs FO wanted?

How would the team look if the Beasely trade went through?

I personally believe Sessions + Gasol > CP3. Losing a lot of size and scoring in the paint for a player like CP3 isn't really moving up. Sessions, whole not the scoring threat of CP3, has shown to be a good shooter, passer, playmaker and athletic enough to stay infront of faster guards. He doesn't shit his pants when he's playing people like D-Will or CP3 either.

I think Howard wouldn't be a huge improvement over Bynum, but for this season it would improve the team. If Bynum stays healthy, though, I think he's a better player to keep and build around when Kobe is gone. Howard is as good as he will be now, but Bynum can be much better.

We would be much deeper with Beasely and I really do believe he can flourish in LAL as opposed to T-pups. Too bad it didn't go through :depressed

VBM
04-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Anything that kept the towers together in LA was better for them. It's the biggest advantage they have, and with the individual talent, it's not like they need an all-world PG to get them easy shots...they can create pretty well for themselves as is.

Giuseppe
04-15-2012, 11:46 PM
As charter holder of the anti Howard & anti Paul file claim I am proven right.

Now, lets get on with the Vernors and sponge cake at Kori's. Her maid will serve.

pass1st
04-15-2012, 11:48 PM
As charter holder of the anti Howard & anti Paul file claim I am proven right.

Now, lets get on with the Vernors and sponge cake at Kori's. Her maid will serve.

I'll admit, Curly, you were one of the only LAL fans who was right about not going for CP3 and Howard. Neither of them would make up for what we would give up.

Giuseppe
04-15-2012, 11:56 PM
I'll admit, Curly, you were one of the only LAL fans who was right about not going for CP3 and Howard. Neither of them would make up for what we would give up.

Yep, that's been the bottom line for me since the start. It just wasn't near enough. Both Howard & Paul are the epitome of symbolism over substance.

I just continue to regret the loss of Odom in the ensuing calamity. We've yet to suffer for that loss and I dread it, cuz it's comin'.

pass1st
04-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Yep, that's been the bottom line for me since the start. It just wasn't near enough. Both Howard & Paul are the epitome of symbolism over substance.

I just continue to regret the loss of Odom in the ensuing calamity. We've yet to suffer for that loss and I dread it, cuz it's comin'.

It is sad we lost Odom, but his loss did give us a pick that allowed us to get Sessions for pennies. Beasely would have helped counter the loss of Odom, but sadly it wasn't meant to be. When we need somebody to score off the bench and Peace + Barnes don't show up, he will be missed.

ElNono
04-16-2012, 12:01 AM
How about BDiddy? I recall some frontrunner that jumped from the ship and is now front-running again was all giddy with the prospect of seeing BDiddy in a Lakers uniform...

pass1st
04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
How about BDiddy? I recall some frontrunner that jumped from the ship and is now front-running again was all giddy with the prospect of seeing BDiddy in a Lakers uniform...

Sadly, we didn't get a chance to acquire one of the greatest talents in the league :(

MattBonnerExperience
04-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Don't you wanna give it all you got this year? Kobe is barely alive as it Is and Pau isn't getting any younger. Howard is obviously the better player He's grabbing 2 more points, 2 more boards, better blocks, better fg% and better PER and 2 more EWA than bynum all while being on a bad team he couldn't cafe less about. I would swap bynum for Howard any day considering that there's still the lurking injury history with Bynum why not sell high on potential?

ElNono
04-16-2012, 12:10 AM
I think it's hard to know, tbh. I do think last season's Lakers team was much better than this season.

Also, quantifying what CP3 would've done for the Lakers, even with the absence of Pau, is difficult. Clippers were a 32-50 team last season. They're head to head for the division with the Lakers now.

venky
04-16-2012, 12:17 AM
The only problem is Gasol makes too much when he's obviously declined a bit.

Other than that, Sessions + Kobe + Pau + Bynum > CP3 + Kobe + Bynum + Insert PF here

pass1st
04-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Don't you wanna give it all you got this year? Kobe is barely alive as it Is and Pau isn't getting any younger. Howard is obviously the better player He's grabbing 2 more points, 2 more boards, better blocks, better fg% and better PER and 2 more EWA than bynum all while being on a bad team he couldn't cafe less about. I would swap bynum for Howard any day considering that there's still the lurking injury history with Bynum why not sell high on potential?

Howard is the focal point focal point the team, though. More experience than Bynum too (more played minutes). Bynum can average the same stats probably if he was on a team like the Bobcats.

Howard is also likely as good as he can be right now, but we have no idea how a few healthy years will be for Bynum. He might become exponentially better, he has shown flashes of Hakeem here and there.

LkrFan
04-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Is LAL better off with getting Sessions for peanuts instead of pushing Gasol for CP3?
Lakers are clearly better without that turd CP3. CP3 > Sessions, but that's not the deal. CP3 onboard means no Pau. People clown Pau on this board all the time. Look at everything collectively that Pau does for the Lakers. Scoring. Rebounding. Timely swatting. Assisting. Pau is the most complete big man in the game. Soft, yes, but highly skilled and he compliments Bynum well.

How would the team look if Bynum was somehow swapped for Howard, which seemed to be what LALs FO wanted?
We'd be f:lolcked. Look at Howard's back issue. That won't go away over night. We would have had Kobe, CP3, Howard - on paper that's awesome. However, with looking back on the nixed CP3 deal - which would have been a precursor to the Howard deal, no deal was the best deal. Kobe/Bynum/Pau/Sessions > Kobe/CP3/Howard - as strange as it is for me to type that. You can't teach size. Bynum and Pau together - with a pass first PG to get them the rock? #WINNING

How would the team look if the Beasely trade went through?
This one kind of stings, but not really (more on that later). We've had bench scoring issues ever since we traded away LO. Beastly would have instantly produced 15 ppg off the bench - he's that talented. OTOH, I am pleasantly surprised with the chemistry that Barnes has had with Sessions. He has produced off the bench Now MWP has joined the party with strong outings the last few games with Kobe out. MWP and Barnes collectively have gotten the job done at the SF position and both >>>> Beastly defensively. MWP locking down LBJ's step dad was awesome to see.

I personally believe Sessions + Gasol > CP3. Losing a lot of size and scoring in the paint for a player like CP3 isn't really moving up. Sessions, whole not the scoring threat of CP3, has shown to be a good shooter, passer, playmaker and athletic enough to stay infront of faster guards. He doesn't shit his pants when he's playing people like D-Will or CP3 either.
Sessions is more than adequate at PG for the Lakers. He has a good combination of speed/quickness, scores at a decent clip, makes good crisp passes to the bigs, and get this: he doesn't appear afraid of the big stage. He made some nice plays for us down the stretch tonight. I've seen him go toe-to-toe with CP3 (twice), D-Will, and TP. The only blips on his radar so far has been WB, Nash, and...Goran Tragic (SMH on this one). But all in all, he has been a perfect fit. Call him Rondo-lite, with an improved jumper. He's hit some huge 3s for us when shooting was not supposed to be his forte.

I think Howard wouldn't be a huge improvement over Bynum, but for this season it would improve the team. If Bynum stays healthy, though, I think he's a better player to keep and build around when Kobe is gone. Howard is as good as he will be now, but Bynum can be much better.
If healthy, Bynum can't hold a candle to Howard defensively. Offensively, I can say the same thing in Bynum's favor. The good part for the Lakers is, Bynum patterns his game after TD. That means he does not rely heavily on athleticism to get the job done. This means that he will be effective at anchoring the paint, rebounding, and scoring for at least another decade. I'll take that. He's also just scratching the surface of his potential. I saw a lot of Laker fans salivating over the idea of getting Howard. Not me. You can't teach his size. When he is locked in and focused, there ain't nobody in the league that can touch him - including Howard.

We would be much deeper with Beasely and I really do believe he can flourish in LAL as opposed to T-pups. Too bad it didn't go through :depressed

Agreed. Maybe they'll explore acquiring him in the summer. For now, I'm content with what we have. Kobe being out has been a blessing. For one, he could see first hand that his guys are more than capable of getting the job done. Secondly, his guys are getting more confidence by knowing that they don't need Kobe holding their hand 40 mpg. Kobe gets to rest. Lakers keep winning despite his absence. Win-win situation

Lakers will surprise and piss off a lot of non-Laker fans this year. :toast

MattBonnerExperience
04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Howard is the focal point focal point the team, though. More experience than Bynum too (more played minutes). Bynum can average the same stats probably if he was on a team like the Bobcats.

Howard is also likely as good as he can be right now, but we have no idea how a few healthy years will be for Bynum. He might become exponentially better, he has shown flashes of Hakeem here and there.

Yeah that's probably true, but we're talking about the lakers here. If Howard was on the lakers he would be getting more points than Bynum because his FG% is already higher as a focal point where as he wouldn't be on the lakers so there's a good chance he'd be more efficient and mabye, mabye work on a midrange game to get the ball more.

Bynum has shown some really nice flashes, I havnt seen much but that's probably because I don't like watching the lakers. The thing is he's also shown a lot of flashes of being a punk and a dumbass.

Amaso
04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Howard + CP3 + Kobe + Scraps > Current Roster

MR.SILVER&BLack
04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Def session's + Gasol> CP3. would be paying CP3 16 mil just to bring the ball past half court.

Venti Quattro
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Def session's + Gasol> CP3. would be paying CP3 16 mil just to bring the ball past half court.

:tu I'm glad that trade never happened.

tlongII
04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
The Lakers are in good shape. As has been previously posted, they need to keep Gasol and Bynum together. No other team in the league can match their size.

Venti Quattro
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
And we have Odom coming back in a little while. :tu

Oh you know it's happening. :tu

Giuseppe
04-16-2012, 12:18 PM
And we have Odom coming back in a little while. :tu

Oh you know it's happening. :tu

The genuine motherfucker, gettin' his stupid on again.

mercos
04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I definitely think the Lakers are better off with Sessions, Gasol, and Bynum over Chris Paul or Dwight Howard. I didn't like the Chris Paul trade back then because I didn't think he would work well with Kobe. Paul is a ball dominant point guard, and the Lakers are built around Kobe having the ball in his hand. He is not giving that up and it would have caused problems.

Now if they had traded Bynum for Howard they would be in a real bind with Howard having back problems. Bynum is playing the best ball of his career right now and to me looks better than Howard anyway. The Lakers are extremely lucky the moves they went for fell through.

The only thing that is going to hurt this team going forward is depth. They are weak after the starting 5. As Guiseppe pointed out, the loss of Lamar Odom is going to hurt tremendously come playoff time. If the Lakers had Odom playing at his sixth man of the year level they would likely be the favorites right now to win the whole thing.

TheManFromAcme
04-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I definitely think the Lakers are better off with Sessions, Gasol, and Bynum over Chris Paul or Dwight Howard. I didn't like the Chris Paul trade back then because I didn't think he would work well with Kobe. Paul is a ball dominant point guard, and the Lakers are built around Kobe having the ball in his hand. He is not giving that up and it would have caused problems.

Now if they had traded Bynum for Howard they would be in a real bind with Howard having back problems. Bynum is playing the best ball of his career right now and to me looks better than Howard anyway. The Lakers are extremely lucky the moves they went for fell through.

The only thing that is going to hurt this team going forward is depth. They are weak after the starting 5. As Guiseppe pointed out, the loss of Lamar Odom is going to hurt tremendously come playoff time. If the Lakers had Odom playing at his sixth man of the year level they would likely be the favorites right now to win the whole thing.

solid take imho :tu

Giuseppe
04-16-2012, 12:33 PM
As Guiseppe pointed out, the loss of Lamar Odom is going to hurt tremendously come playoff time. If the Lakers had Odom playing at his sixth man of the year level they would likely be the favorites right now to win the whole thing.

- "Kind words, Ethan, thank ya kindly."

- Hank Worden - "The Searchers"

tlongII
04-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Howard's back could be a big problem. Herniated disks are no joke.

BUMP
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Anything that kept the towers together in LA was better for them. It's the biggest advantage they have, and with the individual talent, it's not like they need an all-world PG to get them easy shots...they can create pretty well for themselves as is.

This

IMHO, LA should never get rid of Bynum and Gasol (unless you can ship Bynum for Howard). The way these two bigs operate makes them unguardable. Last year, the Mavericks put together the perfect lineup to combat the two and this season nobody comes close except for Houston.

If not for Dallas, LA goes all the way last year

Giuseppe
04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Howard's back could be a big problem. Herniated disks are no joke.

Either is you rolling over on me upstairs.

You SOB, you. I figured when push came to shove I'd have you & miniature Penny in my corner, opening my eye, rubbing my belly, pouring ice water in my Everlast tights, trying to coax one last gigantic boner.

But, no, you both turned on me.

& I backed you, t. When everybody pulled your pants down and laughed at your, I pulled 'em back up and sided ya.

You SOB, you.

cheguevara
04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
blazer fan concerned about injuries?

Latarian Milton
04-16-2012, 07:01 PM
DH way overrated tbh nigga's D might be a bit better then andrew but his offensive game is very limited and there's a reason why he can only barely average 20pts a game with such athleticism & size he has, no low-post move or jumper and it ain't too hard to shut him down (something the 7'6 shitbag managed to do multiple times). DH just an upgraded version of the prime ben wallace imho