PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Warriors - Apr. 16

timvp
04-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Playing against a tanking Warriors squad that was starting four rookies, the Spurs took care of business early and waltzed to a 120-99 victory in Oakland. Within six minutes, the Spurs had a double-digit lead. By halftime, their advantage was 21 points. In the second half, the Big 3 sat on the bench and watched the reserves complete the win.

The fact that none of the Big 3 played more than 15 minutes meant this game was a success. Since this was the first game of a back-to-back-to-back set, Pop now has more flexibility in how he goes about attacking this schedule.

Since the win was a given, the most interesting aspect to me was the fact that the Spurs scored 120 points while only shooting 39.1% from the floor. In the Tim Duncan era, the previous high score in a non-overtime game that saw the Spurs shoot less than 40% was 102 points back in March of 2000. In the David Robinson era, the high was 106 points in February of 1995. Tonight's 120 points blew both of those totals out of the water.

http://dailyelements.com/apr17box1.jpg

http://dailyelements.com/apr17box2.jpg

Tim Duncan A
In only 11:18 of work, Tim Duncan poured in 13 points and helped the Spurs outscore the Warriors 37-17. After scoring a season-high 28 points against the Grizzlies in 35 minutes on Thursday, Duncan has totaled 32 points in 35 minutes over his last two games while posting an unbelievable plus/minus of +51. In his last five games, he is shooting 62.9% (44-for-70) from the field while scoring 93 points in only 134 minutes. Needless to say, Duncan is absolutely on fire. The playoffs can't come soon enough. Please oh please let Duncan stay healthy until then.

Manu Ginobili B+
For the second straight game, the Spurs already had a double-digit lead before Manu Ginobili checked into the game. As a result, Ginobili wasn't needed as much as usual. That said, he still played well. He shot the ball accurately from the outside, attacked the basket with force and had a handful of gorgeous passes on pick-and-rolls. While Ginobili's defense was hit or miss, I really liked the way he went all out for rebounds. It was particularly good to see him go 2-for-3 on three-pointers since he was just three of his previous 16 from deep.

Tony Parker B
The statistics weren't pretty but I thought Tony Parker again played relatively well. While he was a bit too shot happy at times, he mixed in a number of quality passes and was able to quickly get the team into their sets. His early and consistent penetration helped collapse Golden State's defense and kickstart the route. Defensively, Parker was surprisingly good. Never known to bring much defensive intensity against inferior teams, he came out of the gates playing inspired ball on both sides of the court.

Danny Green B
While I like that Danny Green is always willing to shoot when given an open look, sometimes he takes it too far. Tonight was one of those times. When he's run off of his initial look, I much prefer that he passes the ball instead of attempting to create his own shots like he did against the Warriors. (Then again, I can't really complain too much about a guy who is shooting 50% (23-for-46) on three-pointers in his last ten games.) Defensively, he was a plus. He played his man tight, offered timely help and crashed the boards.

DeJuan Blair C+
DeJuan Blair was in his bull-in-a-china-shop mode, especially offensively. Early in the game, I thought he was going to hurt himself. Thankfully, he settled down and was able to offer a few highlights along the way. On defense, he had a lot of ups and a lot of lows but overall he graded out about average for what we've come to expect.

Kawhi Leonard B+
Kawhi Leonard continues to climb over the rookie wall. Even though he only played 16 minutes, he had more rebounds tonight than he's had in any game this month. His 3-for-4 shooting from the floor has his field goal percentage on the season all the way up to 49.7%. It should also be noted that the three-pointer he hit was from straight-away -- only his second straight-away three-pointer all season. Offensively, he was aggressive throughout and showed a ton of confidence, particularly in his passing. Defensively, while the final box score doesn't agree, I thought he did solid work on Klay Thompson.

Gary Neal B-
It was an unusual night for Gary Neal. He made all five of his field goal attempts that were outside of the paint but missed all five field goal attempts that were in the paint. And while Neal was routinely out of control and had some issues with Golden State's pressure defense, he was able to finish the game without a turnover. Although his stats look really good, Neal actually struggled more than the numbers indicate. He never got into any sort of rhythm and he was extremely slow at getting the team into their offensive sets. Defensively, let's just say it's not a coincidence that the Warriors backup point guard led their team in scoring.

Tiago Splitter C+
Tiago Splitter was all over the map tonight. The good: His physicality when going toward the rim (typically off of pick-and-rolls) resulted in a season-high amount of free throw attempts. Splitter pulled down a number of contested rebounds, defended the rim well and authored a few fine passes. The bad: His finishing around the rim was poor -- much worse than we've seen in a long time. Splitter had a lot of trouble recognizing mismatches and was slow to react in most areas of the game. He was also caught with his hands at his side on the defensive end too often.

Stephen Jackson C
I'm not quite ready to sound the alarm but Stephen Jackson is now only shooting 36.4% from the field and 29.8% on three-pointers while with the Spurs. The biggest reason I'm not panicking yet is because Jackson is still helping in a lot of different areas. Getting to the line is one such area. In 351 minutes with the Spurs, Jackson has gone to the line 40 times. (To compare: In 1,168 minutes before being traded, Richard Jefferson went to the line only 50 times.) Tonight, Jackson continued his career-best rebounding rate, passed the ball very well and played above average defense.

Boris Diaw B
There was a lot to like about how Boris Diaw played tonight. He wasn't passive when given an open look at a shot. He rebounded with authority, especially on the offensive end. His rim-protecting was surprisingly good. Diaw is also now 4-for-9 on three-pointers after starting out 0-for-5. Passing-wise, he wasn't much of an asset tonight. His individual defense also wasn't anything to write home about.

James Anderson D-
Sometimes, James Anderson plays well and I begin to wonder whether the Spurs made a mistake by not picking up his option. Then, he has games like tonight. In 19 minutes, Anderson did little, if anything, right. Offensively, when he wasn't missing shots he was getting in the way or otherwise causing headaches for his teammates. On defense, Anderson was decent at times but spent much of night woefully out of position.

Matt Bonner C
In the first quarter, Matt Bonner had an injury scare when he bumped knees. By the second quarter, he had shaken it off and was ready to go. After missing his first three three-pointers, Bonner hit both of his attempts from deep in the second half. Offensively, I thought he could have done more. He passed up a few open looks and was hesitant to use his dribble move. Defensively, he did a good job of not fouling but that was about the extent of his positive play on that end.

Patrick Mills D-
I'm struggling to come up with anything positive Patrick Mills gave the team tonight. On offense, he was horrific when running the show. Despite dribbling a ton, I can't remember one shot he created for a teammate. In fact, he wasn't even able to create a quality shot for himself. I knew he wasn't a pure point guard when the Spurs signed him but he has looked especially impure in the last few games. Defensively, he had a couple decent hustle plays but was otherwise a liability. I'm assuming that Mills has lost his legs because he looks totally different than the player who first showed up in San Antonio. I think it's safe to say he's not as good as he appeared at first and isn't as bad as he looks to be now.

Pop B+
Pop again managed the minutes very well. Holding out the Big 3 to begin the second half was a little bit risky but it worked to perfection. Now the focus turns to what Pop will do against the Lakers. Will he sit the Big 3 in the middle game of the back-to-back-to-back or did the rest they received tonight change the equation?

HarlemHo 37
04-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the writeup Timvp :tu

mkurts
04-17-2012, 04:10 AM
Stephen Jackson needs to stop Jacking up those crappy 3s and instead drive to the basket a lot more for layups and getting free throws.

Tony Parker certainly played at bench level today.

angelbelow
04-17-2012, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the grades. Didn't really pay much attention to this game but here are some small details that I noticed:

Tiago Splitter - His physicality included an obvious elbow to Mikki Moore's chest after the two got tangled up a bit. Previously I criticized Tiago's lack of response when physically bullied (Robin Lopez, Al Jefferson to name a few) but tonight he struck back.

Boris Diaw - Continue to be impressed with his offensive rebounding. He puts himself in a great position to tap the ball away or towards the rim or simply pull it down.

Stephen Jackson - The only player trying to execute and run plays when the offense is in disarray. During Gary and paTTy's interpretation of the 2005 Phoenix Suns offense, Jackson was the only one trying to run pick and rolls and draw fouls. Overall he shot extremely poorly and this game should be chalked up as a poor outing from him - but he doesn't quit and continuously finds other ways to contribute. If Pop wants to play the 5 man unit of Splitter, Bonner, Jackson, Neal and Mills, the offense should go through Splitter and Jackson. Also slowing the tempo should benefit the squad on the defensive end as well.

Matt Bonner - Good to see him go 2-2 in the 2nd half. Another Bonner trend, this time a positive one.. from all games in April:
Bonner is 10/21 from downtown in the 2nd half of games. That's a blistering 47% in the 2nd half of games, but a miserable 33% overall.

admiralsnackbar
04-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Stephen Jackson needs to stop Jacking up those crappy 3s and instead drive to the basket a lot more for layups and getting free throws.

Tony Parker certainly played at bench level today.

Agree he should do these things in the PO's, but given the probability for injury skyrockets in driving situations, it seems an unnecessary risk at this point in the season. Besides -- this is the perfect time in the season to try shooting himself out of that slump he's in.

EDIT -- Good grades, btw.

SpursFan0728
04-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the grades!

romain.star
04-17-2012, 05:39 AM
thanx Timvp. These Grades are gold for us European followers

will_spurs
04-17-2012, 06:11 AM
Tony Parker B
The statistics weren't pretty but I thought Tony Parker again played relatively well. [...] Defensively, Parker was surprisingly good.

Multiplying his stats by 2 to bring them in line with the amount of minutes he usually plays (~30), Parker's stat line would look like this:

16 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 TO on 4-14 shooting and 8-8 FT.

The only thing not pretty about this stat line is the poor FG%, which we have seen from time to time by Parker this season. If Manu had shot around 30% you wouldn't even have mentioned it.

By the way Parker had the second highest +/- last night...

Darkwaters
04-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks timvp

z0sa
04-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Splitter with 12 free throws jumps out at me. It would be nice if Pop played him those 22 minutes consistently and maybe we could see if he produced more nights with so many easy shots at the foul line.

The Spurs are only 18th in the League in FTAs and generally speaking the only Spurs who consistently get to the line are Parker and Duncan. Although Tony Parker is having one of his best seasons in that category Tim Duncan averages the second lowest FTA per contest of his career. Add to that Manu's woes with getting to the line and you have the recipe for failure that occurred against LA last week.

Here's where the picture gets a little more interesting. After Manu, Tiago Splitter is the next leading FTAer on the team. Per 36 minutes, his FTAs are higher than everyone's except Parker's base FTAs on the entire Spurs team.

Against teams such as Memphis and especially LA Lakers, winning in the middle may require Tiago Splitter playing bigger minutes to help draw and sell fouls. I don't see any way around it tbh.

wildbill2u
04-17-2012, 08:55 AM
If TimVP would simply look at the career shooting stats of Jackson, he wouldn't have panic attacks when his favorite old Spur sputters.

Jackson had never shot for percentage. He just "jacked" 'em up a lot and got his points on volume. A career stat of .416 on FG% and .337 on 3pt. % isn't very good, in fact it's typical for a marginal NBA player. And his last few years have seen those mediocre averages drop.

Spurs fans are going to have to quit expecting too much from Jackson. The jump shots where he can't elevate and the drives which he can't finish and winds up with FTs probably mean that at 34 his legs are going. Not to mention a horrendous TO average.

You Jax lovers better hope he can magically call up something from his youth for the playoffs. Otherwise your unrealistic expectations are going to wind up like going to your 50th high school reunion and expecting your first sweetheart to be the same scrumptious teeny bopper she was when you were getting all sweaty in the back seat of your daddy's car.

timvp
04-17-2012, 09:06 AM
If TimVP would simply look at the career shooting stats of Jackson, he wouldn't have panic attacks when his favorite old Spur sputters.I think you are confusing me with the Mrs., tbh. She is the Stephen Jackson fanatic. I loved the trade but mostly due to getting rid of RJ. As I said at the time, anything Jackson gives the Spurs is a bonus and expectations should be tempered because he has been pretty damn bad recently.

He just "jacked" 'em up a lot and got his points on volume. A career stat of .416 on FG% and .337 on 3pt. % isn't very good, in fact it's typical for a marginal NBA player.

You Jax lovers better hope he can magically call up something from his youth for the playoffs. Tbh, if Jackson can shoot around his career mark, I'd be satisfied. That's not a very high bar, especially since theoretically he should get better shots in the Spurs system.

Keepin' it real
04-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Stephen Jackson C
I'm not quite ready to sound the alarm but Stephen Jackson is now only shooting 36.4% from the field and 29.8% on three-pointers while with the Spurs.

Jackson has earned a pass in my book. He's a clutch playoff performer who has demonstrated he can rise to the challenge in the most intense environments and situations. He's the closest thing we've had to Robert Horry since Horry left. And we all remember how "well" Horry played in the regular season.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Jacksons shooting is not as worrisome at face value when you consider how overall the offense has been. I'll take another spur who gets to the line over another spur who does nothing but shoot threes.

CubanMustGo
04-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for nailing the grade on Paddy ... saw him in person on Saturday, watched the game last night, all the dude did was dribble around a lot and force bad shots.

Mugen
04-17-2012, 09:42 AM
-Tiago looked to be in too much of a hurry on offense. I hope it's not a product of trying to do much cuz he knows his mins. will be limited. Liked his rim protection but dissapointing night offensively

-DeJuan Blair starting is a basketball sin. I'm still trying to figure out how that dunk went in the first half.

-Danny has earned some significant playoff time, IMO. He's fearless and his shot always looks on point. He's streaky but if he's hot in the playoffs then he should keep the starting job.

-If the Spurs are up by 25 with 6 mins. to go in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, there is nobody i want on the court more than Matthew Robert Bonner. The man is a cold blooded assassin when the Spurs have the game in hand.

bklynspursfan
04-17-2012, 10:09 AM
-Tiago looked to be in too much of a hurry on offense. I hope it's not a product of trying to do much cuz he knows his mins. will be limited. Liked his rim protection but dissapointing night offensively

-DeJuan Blair starting is a basketball sin. I'm still trying to figure out how that dunk went in the first half.

-Danny has earned some significant playoff time, IMO. He's fearless and his shot always looks on point. He's streaky but if he's hot in the playoffs then he should keep the starting job.

-If the Spurs are up by 25 with 6 mins. to go in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, there is nobody i want on the court more than Matthew Robert Bonner. The man is a cold blooded assassin when the Spurs have the game in hand.

Why wont Pop realize that. How will we do anything when our starting center and small forward are the same size. That won't bring in a title, and as we saw last year might not even get us out the first round. :depressed

wildbill2u
04-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Jackson has earned a pass in my book. He's a clutch playoff performer who has demonstrated he can rise to the challenge in the most intense environments and situations. He's the closest thing we've had to Robert Horry since Horry left. And we all remember how "well" Horry played in the regular season.

I'd say Neal is the closest thing we've had to Horry lately as far as hitting clutch shots.

Earned a pass? C'mon Man. Do you still love to dance the Macarena and hum "Who let the dogs out?"

tmtcsc
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
It's funny how much forgiveness the fans have for Jackson's poor shooting. He may not be hitting from long range right now but at least he's rebounding, playing defense with enthusiasm and showing grit. Essentially, he's doing everything RJ didn't. If Jefferson had half the competitive fire that Jackson has, he might still be here.

Jackson shows (even with poor shooting) how much of a Zombie RJ was. I'm so glad he isn't on the Spurs anymore.

tmtcsc
04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
I'd say Neal is the closest thing we've had to Horry lately as far as hitting clutch shots.

Earned a pass? C'mon Man. Do you still love to dance the Macarena and hum "Who let the dogs out?"

When did "Earned a pass" become a dated phrase ? I get "hip", "groovy" or "far out" losing steam but "earned a pass" ?

"C'mon....Man" is getting a bit dated. Just sayin.

jjktkk
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the writeup Tim.

will_spurs
04-17-2012, 12:10 PM

You earn a pass for that comment because you are self-appointedly old.

therealtruth
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Why wont Pop realize that. How will we do anything when our starting center and small forward are the same size. That won't bring in a title, and as we saw last year might not even get us out the first round. :depressed

It's like the Lakers starting Artest at center.

Spurtacus
04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Splitter should put up a plaque of that box score because he's never going to see 12 FT attempted in a game ever again. I'm still in disbelief he got some calls last night.

SJax is going through a shooting woe. He's still being aggressive and his defense and energy is light years better then what RJ was bringing.

I don't know what happened to Mills after his first couple of games. I miss T.J. Ford.

FromWayDowntown
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
It was telling to hear Jax talk last night on the pregame show about how he's using these games to get back his fitness. He recognizes that he's not in shape quite yet and he seems willing to take on lots of garbage time minutes (when they are available) to work on his conditioning. I'd hope that as he improves in that area, his numbers will improve as well. Unfortunately, for now at least, he's not particularly explosive by NBA standards and lacks the burst to finish drives while also looking like he's got no legs -- mostly late in games -- to shoot the ball well from distance. Hopefully, that all changes.

MB3//
04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm not worried about Jack. In the playoffs he's not going to be required to do much heavy lifting on the offensive end.

He's impressed me in that he doesn't seem to have developed a losing style of play. That's something that can be contagious when playing with sub par teams.

He's actually done the opposite and seems to be very team oriented, and for the most part has been the guy on the 2nd or 3rd unit that keeps things in order.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Jackson is running out of time if he's not in shape yet

PingPong
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Splitter playing with Neal, Green, Jackson and Mills will force him to try harder to get rebounds. That bunch of ballhogs can't pass the ball to him.

Obstructed_View
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Jackson is running out of time if he's not in shape yet

I'm pretty sure he's not me-and-you out of shape.

Legacy
04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't feel like whining tonight... ssssooooo... Thank you for the write-up! :huddle:

BackHome
04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
How much money does anyone wanna bet that we sign a point guard in the second round?

maverick1948
04-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Matt Bonner C
In the first quarter, Matt Bonner had an injury scare when he bumped knees. By the second quarter, he had shaken it off and was ready to go. After missing his first three three-pointers, Bonner hit both of his attempts from deep in the second half. Offensively, I thought he could have done more. He passed up a few open looks and was hesitant to use his dribble move. Defensively, he did a good job of not fouling but that was about the extent of his positive play on that end.

Maybe you should take a little more time watching the replay and watch Bonner. He DOESN'T stand in the corner on D. He is active out there. If not, the Spurs would be getting their butts handed to them on a silver platter. I know you dont like Bonner but give the man credit for what he does.