PDA

View Full Version : if you were pop, what games do you still play to win?

spectator
04-18-2012, 12:49 AM
i would only play the big 3 vs lal and por. the spurs have 3 more games vs teams that want to out-tank each other (sac, cle, gsw) and another one vs. pho.

if the spurs finish with just one loss, they have the 1st seed secured. if okc does not win out - possible if they want to rest some guys as well - we can secure the 1st seed with additional losses.

however, at this point, rest is more important than seeding imo, especially since if the spurs win vs lal, the clippers may get the 3rd seed, thus making it desirable for the spurs to finish 2nd in the conference.

what do you guys think? should the big 3 play more than 2 games?

DesignatedT
04-18-2012, 12:52 AM
1 game at a time.

silverblk mystix
04-18-2012, 12:52 AM
all of them...

why the fuck would you not?

T Park
04-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Screw tommarow night.

Try the rest of the way except vs GS the last night of the year. Let Corey Joseph and company have fun that night.

Spurtacus
04-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Rest the big 3 tomorrow night.

Play all against Lakers on Friday. Hopefully we can knock down the Lakers to the #4 seed. Then we rest guys the last couple of games with the #2 seed locked up. #3 Clippers in the 2nd round.

SA210
04-18-2012, 12:58 AM
all of them...

spectator
04-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Screw tommarow night.

Try the rest of the way except vs GS the last night of the year.

the first time i read this, i thought you meant rest them every night, except for last night vs gs :lol.

i still take rest for our old bodies - playing them every 3rd night should still keep them engaged, while resting them from the horrific schedule.

Mel_13
04-18-2012, 01:03 AM
1 game at a time.

Yes, but they'll be going for the win tomorrow without Tim, Tony, or Manu.

spectator
04-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Yes, but they'll be going for the win tomorrow without Tim, Tony, or Manu.

cue the 25-18 night for demarcus

Reck
04-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Why would you play your whole squad versus Portland?

Only meaningfull game I'd like to see them play at full strengh is Lakers again.

spectator
04-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Why would you play your whole squad versus Portland?

Only meaningfull game I'd like to see them play at full strengh is Lakers again.

couple of reasons:
1. keep the big 3 in the groove
2. polish the final rotations before the playoffs - integrating the new additions with the big 3
3. avoid tanking 2 games vs the same team this year

roycrikside
04-18-2012, 01:35 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I try to win every game, as long as there is a possibility out there of us having the best overall record, or at least better than Miami.

I know it's not gonna happen, but I'd dress the big three tomorrow. If it's a close game going to the 4th, like say up or down 4-6 points going into the fourth, I play them in the fourth quarter to go for the win. If the Kings are blowing us out, then forget it.

Absolutely go for the wins against LAL, Por and Cle after that. Don't need to play the big three more than 15 minutes in either of the last two.

The Phx game, let's see what the magic # is compared to OKC, Mia and Chi by then. Suns might be eliminated by then and maybe Nash doesn't play. If that's the case we can play the big 3 15 mins each and win easy.

Rest everyone at GS and win anyway, since they're trying to tank.

letmk
04-18-2012, 01:42 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I try to win every game, as long as there is a possibility out there of us having the best overall record, or at least better than Miami.

I know it's not gonna happen, but I'd dress the big three tomorrow. If it's a close game going to the 4th, like say up or down 4-6 points going into the fourth, I play them in the fourth quarter to go for the win. If the Kings are blowing us out, then forget it.

Absolutely go for the wins against LAL, Por and Cle after that. Don't need to play the big three more than 15 minutes in either of the last two.

The Phx game, let's see what the magic # is compared to OKC, Mia and Chi by then. Suns might be eliminated by then and maybe Nash doesn't play. If that's the case we can play the big 3 15 mins each and win easy.

After playing 35 mins tonight, I don't think Tim will play tomorrow. And he shouldn't. Pop didn't play Tony in the 4th quarter, so I assume he thought about playing him tomorrow. So that leaves Manu as the one in question mark.

Legacy
04-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Oy. Rest all if needed tomorrow (looks like that is what is going to happen anyway). And 1 game at a time afterwards? Is that the right answer? FUCK! I can't get into Pops' head--nor do I have a crystal ball.

I'm just happy right now about tonight's win. :D

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-18-2012, 01:57 AM
They'll tank against Sacto to match OKC's record and be more in control of the potential playoff brackets.

T Park
04-18-2012, 02:04 AM
cue the 25-18 night for demarcus

Good for him.

Why should I care?

T Park
04-18-2012, 02:05 AM
couple of reasons:
1. keep the big 3 in the groove
2. polish the final rotations before the playoffs - integrating the new additions with the big 3
3. avoid tanking 2 games vs the same team this year

Who gives a shit about tanking twice against the same team?

The big 3 are fine.

T Park
04-18-2012, 02:07 AM

Duncan plays 35 mins tonight and you want to roll him out tommarow against Sac?

Christ....

Bruno
04-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Minutes played in the first 2 games of the b2b2b:
Jackson: 47
Duncan: 46
Parker: 45
Green: 43
Bonner: 42
Diaw: 41
Ginobili: 41
Splitter: 40
Neal: 39
Leonard: 34
Anderson: 21
Mills: 20
Blair: 19

If Pop wants to win the game against Sacramento, he can go with the whole team except Duncan who just played 35 minutes against Lakers. Minutes for some players should be limited but it doesn't seems necessary to give them a DNP-CD.

freetiago
04-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Every team the spurs play is garbage the rest of the way except LA and possibly Phoenix
Phoenix wont bend over like last time, if theyre not in the playoffs theyll go 150% like last season in the last game in what could be nashes last game as a sun
Cleveland just lost by like 50 to the pistons of all people
Portland shut down batum, alridge, traded wallace/camby, and jamal crawford has said i dont want to be here on air
GS is full blown tank as well

I dont think sacremento is a good team but they always play the spurs pretty well
I think just manu+ bench could handle them

and looking at those minutes up top spurs are babied hard
most starters around the rest of the league play those minutes per game

roycrikside
04-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Geez, if there's ever a game for Blair, Anderson, Mills and Leonard to go nuts, it's tomorrow. Maybe if they combine for 75, we've got a shot.

100%duncan
04-18-2012, 04:49 AM
all of them...

This. All are winnable even though some guys rest out (except for the LA game)

angelbelow
04-18-2012, 04:49 AM

Agreed. There is too much uncertainty over the rankings, so I'd prefer for the plan to be win as many as you can. Then you make the proper adjustment according to how the standings play out.

I don't think we should rest the big 3 against the Kings either. In general, I always prefer to play rather than rest. I say give them some burn in the 1st half. Regardless of the outcome at halftime, sitting from there could be an option. The only time I like sitting players is when the seeding for the playoffs are already decided (typically the last 3 games or so.)

Additionally, I think we have the depth to win the majority of these games anyways. No need to sit all of the big 3 at once IMO.

TMTTRIO
04-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Tim and Tony should probably rest. Manu's been resting for almost half a season so he really doesn't need a lot of it like Tim or Tony. Just limit his minutes. He needs to work on gaining some confidence and rhythm before the playoffs.