PDA

View Full Version : Should we lose next game?

Josepatches_
04-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Ok,If we want to avoid the Lakers in the second round I wouldn't mind to lose this Friday

We still have the tiebreaker and our schedule is easier than OKC's one.

Of course we could win and tank games later if Lakers fall to the 4th seed.

4 games in 5 nights..It's not going to be easy anyway.

SA210
04-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Enough of this tanking and losing talk, damn

jmanu20
04-19-2012, 12:00 AM
I say no.

If there is one team that I don't want the Spurs to potentially give any kind of psychological edge to, it's the Lakers. Plus, it'd be good for the Big 3 to all play if Kobe suits up.

DesignatedT
04-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Hopefully the Clippers start losing some. That's all we need. They play @PHO tomorrow night in a must win for Phoenix so be pullin for the Suns tom.

DMC
04-19-2012, 12:01 AM
No, we never lose if we can help it. We are at the other end of that spectrum, we don't tank. We rest all of our starters, sure... but tank? no.

Robz4000
04-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Nah, Friday is a must-win imo. Beat the Lakers at full strength and it'll deflate them.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2012, 12:02 AM
The last thing the Spurs need right now is to get cute. They just need to focus on what they're doing and get into the postseason healthy and playing well. If they can manage that it will be the first time since 2007.

KaiRMD1
04-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Since when are the Spurs chickens? Hell no we don't tank, we stay healthy, that's the main priority.

fotan2
04-19-2012, 12:12 AM
we should beat the lakers and make them drop to the 4th.then we tank for the rest of the game and keep the 2nd spot while okc la and the grizzs get the 1st ,4th 5th.
but you know what, screw all that since i want to get memphis so badly. let's win all the way.

spursfanincolorado
04-19-2012, 12:15 AM
try and win out - stop thinking like pussies... Stay healthy, jump out big and rest the key players...

SA210
04-19-2012, 12:27 AM
try and win out - stop thinking like pussies...

Mel_13
04-19-2012, 12:30 AM

I agree.

Rest players as needed, but play to win the game.

spectator
04-19-2012, 12:42 AM
rest is more important than seeding.

play all vs lal, then rest big 3 the rest of the way. the spurs should still win 2/4 remaining games since cle, por and gs are in full tank mode.

less important, but if okc loses at lal, the spurs get to keep their no 1 seed.

Two10Whitey
04-19-2012, 12:44 AM
"How about no, Scott?"

Manu-20
04-19-2012, 12:46 AM
I think the spurs sent the message they aren't tanking and want to stay focused going into the playoffs when they put the beatdown on the lakers instead of tanking that game to go back to the 2nd seed and avoid the lakers and tbh wanting to avoid teams while I can understand the reasons for is just silly you play to win espically with the playoffs coming up its a mentality the spurs need and have.

dbreiden83080
04-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Play to win the game.. Enough of this tanking shit..

Splits
04-19-2012, 12:51 AM
If you want to see losers, then go here (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/120418_bonner_camp)

timvp
04-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Tbh, I might hold out the Big 3 against the Lakers. It's good timing to get some rest while still having an opportunity to build back some momentum before the playoffs. Plus, getting the Lakers out of San Antonio's bracket still remains a priority.

We'll see after tomorrow's games but .... maybe.

Legacy
04-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Oy. There are so many threads on this very same topic already. WTF?? No. We will NOT bend over and take it. ... And YES, this is also for our health as well -- emotional and mental health. It all ties in with the physical. Nuff said.

100%duncan
04-19-2012, 12:59 AM

Libri
04-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Rest players and manage their minutes but no tanking.

spurs1990
04-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Tbh, I might hold out the Big 3 against the Lakers. It's good timing to get some rest while still having an opportunity to build back some momentum before the playoffs. Plus, getting the Lakers out of San Antonio's bracket still remains a priority.

Even after that beatdown we saw Tuesday night?

I say bring 'em on!

dbreiden83080
04-19-2012, 01:09 AM

If this team is good enough to win it all you can't be scared to play someone.. You just can't.. Hold out the big 3 with a days rest..

Insane..

roycrikside
04-19-2012, 01:09 AM

I could see the argument for resting on Friday if the Heat lose to the Bulls. Then you still have a margin of error there with them and OKC. If Chicago loses though, then FUCK NO, go for the win on Friday, knowing you just need to win out against some crappy teams and have one more Bulls loss to clinch HCA throughout the playoffs.

Besides, I think it sends a horrible message to home fans to tank the game. Wasn't it bad enough to have all those Lakers fans in the building cheering the last time? Do you really want them to take it over again?

roycrikside
04-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Hopefully the Clips will lose to the Suns tomorrow and the argument will be moot.

Dingle Barry
04-19-2012, 01:12 AM
An auxiliary concern to be sure, but it would also be shitty to do to the hometown fans. It's probably happened, but I can't recall the big 3 getting rested at home.

timtonymanu
04-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Well considering the Laker fans end up cheering more in SA than Spurs fans, I wouldn't say it's cheating the fans. That being said, keep the momentum going. The only time we can start throwing games is when we clinch a better record than OKC.

Legacy
04-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I could see the argument for resting on Friday if the Heat lose to the Bulls. Then you still have a margin of error there with them and OKC. If Chicago loses though, then FUCK NO, go for the win on Friday, knowing you just need to win out against some crappy teams and have one more Bulls loss to clinch HCA throughout the playoffs.

Besides, I think it sends a horrible message to home fans to tank the game. Wasn't it bad enough to have all those Lakers fans in the building cheering the last time? Do you really want them to take it over again?

Thank you. :depressed

Sean Cagney
04-19-2012, 01:19 AM
Yeah throw the damn game when you have a shot at the #1 seed and HC, that makes f in sense..........

Legacy
04-19-2012, 01:47 AM
BTW, whether you're in the AT&T Center or not... those asshole-Fakers and their Bandwagoners are STILL in MY hometown. They are there to SHIT on it, durrr. So again... yes... it would be a completely shitty thing to do to ALL the fans at home in general -- whether you're in the building or not, IMO. *TSK* :bang

SA210
04-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Well considering the Laker fans end up cheering more in SA than Spurs fans,

This shit really pisses me off

TampaDude
04-19-2012, 02:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

mudyez
04-19-2012, 02:36 AM
IMHO, Memphis should scare us as much as the Lakers do. Both teams match up well with us, but the Lakers are not the '10 Lakers and the Grizz may very well be the same team as in '11.

If the Lakers slip to 4th, it probably sets up a LAKvsMEM series which should be cruel for both teams.

If the Lakers are 3rd, we probably have to play Memphis, which could be more rested against the Clips. I'm not taking this scenario over the first one!

After all we have to face two out of OKC/LAK/MEM (and I dont think we loose to any other western team, if we are healthy). So playing it cute and maybe giving up homecourt in the CF or Finals just isn't the right thing to do, especially as it may backfire on us as the seatings still can change and we might loose momentum. Just try to win games, without playing Timmy and Manu more than 30minutes (and maybe resting them against tanking teams) and we are fine!

SA210
04-19-2012, 02:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

JustinJDW
04-19-2012, 02:47 AM
So sick of this tanking loser talk.

will_spurs
04-19-2012, 02:48 AM
I love how everybody says being healthy is the top priority THEREFORE it's important to play the Big 3 in each and every meaningless game.

You guys fail at logic.

Legacy
04-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Can't wait to get this game over with. Oh wait... there'll be more games afterwards. GAWDAMMIT!! WE'RE COMPLETELY & TOTALLY FUCKED!!!!! :spless:

:deadhorse

I just need to not step foot in such threads. I'll take responsibility for my own actions now, seriously. Sorry, everyone. :p:

mudyez
04-19-2012, 03:07 AM
I love how everybody says being healthy is the top priority THEREFORE it's important to play the Big 3 in each and every meaningless game.

You guys fail at logic.

not sure, if this game is more meaningless than Cavs or Warriors, two tanking teams, that we could beat without playing any of the big3.

we could shut them down right now, but that would cause more questionmarks than anything...keep playing it smart (winning and keeping momentum while sitting them here and there) and not cute (risking to loose the fanbase, momentum, hca)!

therealtruth
04-19-2012, 03:09 AM

You guys fail at logic.

I agree. The big 3 should not play again till the playoffs. Too much at risk.

jestersmash
04-19-2012, 03:16 AM
I'd seriously consider sitting Manu out of the Lakers game Friday.

Bynum strikes me as the kind of guy that would send a message with a flagrant 2 on Ginobili if the game got out of hand .

temujin
04-19-2012, 03:31 AM

Bynum strikes me as the kind of guy that would send a message with a flagrant 2 on Ginobili if the game got out of hand .

This.

Sit Manu and Parker and bring back Robert Horry against Bynum.

mudyez
04-19-2012, 03:33 AM

have to agree on Bynum but in what world are we living, that craphheads like him get rewarded for something like that, by not playing one of our best guys?

blkroadrunners
04-19-2012, 03:40 AM
I agree. The big 3 should not play again till the playoffs. Too much at risk.

Don't know about that. If anything IMO, the Spurs should take the final games regularly and sit the big 3 the last game against GS. Maybe rest one or two of them against Portland also.

Fireball
04-19-2012, 03:43 AM
As of today. Best case scenario!!

(1) SAN ANTONIO (1A) vs. (8) Phoenix
(San Antonio leads 3-0)

(2) OKLAHOMA CITY vs. (7) Dallas
(Oklahoma City won 3-1)

(3) LOS ANGELES vs. (6) Denver
(Los Angeles won 3-1)

(4) LOS ANGELES vs. (5) Memphis
(Los Angeles won 2-1)

That is a CLEAR picture ... now we know we face a team from L.A. in the second round :lmao

100%duncan
04-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Win all, rest players who need rest, get top seed, avoid Lakers as much as possible.

mudyez
04-19-2012, 04:20 AM
Win all, rest players who need rest, get top seed, avoid Lakers as much as possible.

+avoid MEM and OKC + develop the Tim-Tiago frontcourt + trade Blair for the Unibrownpick + world peace (not the player)

Beaverfuzz
04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Just play and win! Quit being a bunch of pussies.

SpurinDallas
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Hell no! The Basketball Gods don't like when teams start doing that shit and Karma comes back to bite them at the worse possible time.

Keep the train rolling and lets hold on to that #1 seed.

Bruno
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Unless it's a no-brainer, I don't think tanking a game is a good solution. Right now, it's unclear whether or not Spurs should win this game to avoid Lakers in a potential secodn round matchup. Spurs should try to win the game against Lakers. and if Lakers are as bad as a matchup some of us think, it won't matters since Spurs will likely lost that game. :downspin:

Tonight game between Suns and Clippers is too very important. If Suns can win it, tanking the game against Lakers will make little sense.

Muser
04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Only way I tank now is against Phoenix last game of the season, depending on whether a win would secure them the 8th seed if the Spurs get the 1st.

NRHector
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
why? we are going to meet Lakers or Thunder sooner or later

Josepatches_
04-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Yes,but people here think our chances vs OKC are bigger.. it's about matchups

Yeah throw the damn game when you have a shot at the #1 seed and HC, that makes f in sense..........

We would have the 1st seed winning 3 of the last 4. And easily the bench can win 2 of them.

But with Kobe playing this Friday let's try to win.If the Clippers win today surely we'll face the Lakers in the 2nd round anyway.

It will be a good test...if the Lakers aren't playing for Kobe to win the scoring title.

Durant is closing the gap so if Kobe plays he has to score more than 20 .He was shooting 42%...He has to be out of rythm.....

It will be a good test for us if Kobe is not in chuck mode

Dr Cox
04-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Say whatever you want, I really hope Manu sits out of this one. He played so physical on Tuesday against them, this could be that game he goes down with Bynum and Blake being the b*tches that they are.

Call pop a pussy or whatever but i think it would be a smart move.

Legacy
04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Say whatever you want, I really hope Manu sits out of this one. He played so physical on Tuesday against them, this could be that game he goes down with Bynum and Blake being the b*tches that they are.

Call pop a pussy or whatever but i think it would be a smart move.

I will say whatever I want, thank you very much... and I actually agree with you right here. Preserving Manu through this one would probably be the best call. :toast

wut
04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
I think playing Manu and Duncan is too risky against a team that has now shown that they are willing to take cheap shots at our players.

Bruno
04-20-2012, 03:25 AM
After the Clippers loss at Phoenix, it doesn't really matter if Spurs win or lose their next game against Lakers.

The game that matters is Sunday game against Lakers and Thunder and whatever happened Friday, Spurs should root for a Laker win:
- If Spurs beat Lakers, Lakers beating Thunder will allow them to keep the 3rd seed.
- If Lakers beat Spurs, a Thunder loss against Lakers will give Spurs some breathing room for the 1st spot.

will_spurs
04-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Bruno, unfortunately Spurs rooting for a LAL win will achieve nothing, at least a lot less than what the Lakers actually want.

LAL @ SAS and LAL @ OKC are actually mirror games. Whichever teams wins or loses, both teams are still moving in the direction of meeting in the 2nd round.

LAL-SAS pushes Spurs to 1 and Lakers to 4 (or conversely Spurs to 2 and Lakers to 3).
LAL-OKC pushes OKC to 1 and Lakers to 4 (or conversely Lakers to 3 and OKC to 2).

Spurs have an advantage insofar as they can tank against Lakers (helping Lakers clinch 3rd) and still be sure to have HCA in the West (and pretty much overall) by winning their last 4 games (ensuring they won't meet OKC or LAL before the WCF).

The Lakers half want the 3rd because it's an easier 1st round matchup; and half don't want it because it pushes them into OKC's arms in the 2nd round (where they'd prefer the Spurs).

OKC doesn't care about 1st or 2nd round matchups, although finishing 1st would open the possibility of an easier 2nd round matchup (I assume they'd rather face LAC or MEM than LAL). What they care the most about is getting 1st to have HCA against Spurs and possibly Miami.

All in all it looks to me that OKC will be a lot more motivated to win against the LAL at home, than the Lakers are in locking 3rd seed.

Horse
04-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Resting the big 3 when we have a day off before and after that game would make us look like big pussies and probly mess with our confidence. We're crazy hot right now, I say ride the wave!

Blake
04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
There's no doubt Manu sits tonight, imo.
I would think Tony sits also.

The only question to me is will Tim play? My guess would be no.

therealtruth
04-20-2012, 11:59 AM
This is a good playoff warmup. Even if we lose we learn stuff we can work on.

$pursDynasty
04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
This game against the Lakers? Never we need to try and send a message or at least see where we stack up against them, should we meet up again in the playoffs, now should we tank a game against Golden State at the end of the year, if Lakers are at #4 and losing the game will put the Thunder, Lakers and Grizzlies on one side of the bracket. Now should the Spurs win the West and it costs up home court against the Heat, where I might enjoy HCA but you have to get to the finals first and the Heat are the ONLY team against which I think HCA would be important. They can easily steal one against the Bulls or Thunder on the road.

StoneBuddha
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
They should play the whole team and see where they stand against a full Lakers team. In this case, having the information earlier gives the coaching staff more options to adjust. The Spurs have a deep team and better staff-- hence they can offer more wrinkles and make more adjustments than the Lakers. Find out now, instead of a possible game 1 loss at home that can swing a series.

:flag: