PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Kings - Apr. 18

timvp
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
The Spurs were playing their third straight road game as part of a back-to-back-to-back set, while the Kings had 48 hours to rest before playing in front of their home fans. No worries, Spurs fans, San Antonio is scorching. A 69-point second half powered the Spurs to a 127-102 victory, the team's fifth straight win -- all of which have been by double-digits.

With Tim Duncan sitting out, the Kings were able to keep it close until the third quarter. That's when San Antonio's offense caught fire. Beginning with nine minutes remaining in the third, the Spurs hit 16 of their next 21 shots from the field to turn a five-point lead into a 16-point advantage. The Kings would never challenge again.

By winning this game, the Spurs swept their second back-to-back-to-back of the season to become the first team this season to sweep two such sets. Overall, I'm beyond impressed with this team. Not only are they seemingly scoring at will, their mental focus is amazing right now.

http://dailyelements.com/apr18box1.jpg

http://dailyelements.com/apr18box2.jpg

Tony Parker A-
After Tony Parker destroyed the Lakers, it would have been natural if he had a letdown against the Kings. However, that just didn't happen -- especially offensively. Parker aggressively orchestrated the action throughout his time on the court. Though he missed a couple chip shots near the rim, he more than made up for it by getting to the free throw line and dishing out eight assists without a turnover. On defense, he was playing at a don't-get-injured intensity in the first half. But in the third quarter, Parker picked up his level of D to help break the game open. It's safe to say those struggles of last week are now forgotten.

Manu Ginobili A-
I think all Spurs fans suffered a simultaneous heart attack when Manu Ginobili collided with Tyreke Evans early in the fourth quarter. Thankfully, Ginobili escaped with just a scratch on his ear. Normally I would say something about how he should be more careful and not put his body on the line in a meaningless regular season game. But this is Manu Ginobili. He has an Off switch and an On switch -- that's it. If he plays, he's going to play at 100%. As for how he played, it was another successful outing for Ginobili. Like has been the case for most of this season, he was very efficient scoring-wise, passed the ball amazingly well and limited his mistakes. Defensively, I was actually quite impressed at times. His ability to stay in front of ball-handlers is as good as it's been all season.

Kawhi Leonard B+
To begin the night, Kawhi Leonard just wasn't playing well. He wasn't doing much on offense and his defense -- especially his transition defense -- was well below average. Leonard didn't turn it around until the second half, but when he did, he started playing great basketball. He led the Spurs in scoring in the third quarter with nine points on 4-for-6 shooting. He also played much, much better defense. Even against a Kings team with a bunch of players who can run and jump, Leonard's graceful athleticism stood out.

Boris Diaw B
It was another step in the right direction for Boris Diaw. He had miscues here and there (mostly related to hesitation on offense and being out of position on defense) but Diaw seems to be understanding San Antonio's system better and better. Defensively, he had enough size and strength to do good work against DeMarcus Cousins. Diaw rebounded well, moved his feet on the perimeter extremely well and, of course, delivered timely passes.

DeJuan Blair A-
After not playing against the Lakers, I thought DeJuan Blair showed a lot of character by bouncing back with a really good effort. Offensively, Blair didn't force the action but instead let his underrated passing ability shine. He shot well, didn't turn the ball over and ran the court hard both ways. Defensively, while he got overwhelmed around the basket a few times, he hustled, did a reasonably good job on the boards and his help-defense was better than normal.

Danny Green B
Like Leonard, Danny Green struggled early. In all aspects, Green's defense was poor to start the game. He wasn't getting back in transition and his individual defense was lacking. The lack of energy also showed up on the offensive end. As the game progressed, though, Green got a lot better. He picked up his intensity on defense and was a definite asset on offense. Green has now made 28-of-53 three-pointers over his last 12 games for a sizzling percentage of 52.8%.

Stephen Jackson C+
The bad: Stephen Jackson had four more turnovers (he has 15 turnovers in his last five games), he didn't make an impact on the glass and his defense wasn't as good as it has been of late. The good: His ability to score looked much improved. Jackson was strong when driving to the hoop and his elevation was better at the rim. His outside jumper had better rotation; he had been shooting a looping knuckleball in recent games. Jackson also did well in pick-and-rolls.

Tiago Splitter A-
Without Duncan, the Spurs needed Tiago Splitter to step up -- and he did. Offensively, he was really good at finishing around the basket. He absorbed contact well and did a better job than usual of recognizing when he was open. Splitter's offensive rebounding was also a key on that end. Defensively, he was physical in the post and had a few great plays when it came to protecting the rim. It should also be noted that Splitter's world-class acting skills helped foul out Cousins, which made the game a lot easier for the Spurs.

Matt Bonner B-
Defensively, I thought Matt Bonner was actually really good. He fought the Kings bigmen for position and oftentimes made his opponent catch the ball far from their comfort zone. Bonner's help-defense was very solid and he pulled down a couple contested rebounds. Offensively, Bonner wasn't nearly as crisp. He shot selection was uncharacteristically poor and his passing was a beat late most of the time. His 0-for-3 shooting from deep dropped his April three-point percentage to 31.7%.

Gary Neal A
In only 15 minutes, Gary Neal's offense made a big difference. Whether he was playing off the ball or with the ball, the Kings couldn't stop him. Neal's jumper looked extra beautiful and he was also able to finish with crafty shots around the rim. Defensively, he was better than usual. He made some mistakes -- like fouling a three-point shooter and going for ill-advised steals -- but at least Neal's defensive intensity was much better than usual. The second year guard has picked a great time to heat up. During this five-game winning streak, Neal is shooting 64.9% from the field and is averaging 11.6 points in only 17.2 minutes per game. He's also 5-for-5 on three-pointers and 5-for-5 at the line during that stretch.

Patrick Mills B-
Although Patrick Mills still had a lot of trouble making plays with the ball or defending in a halfcourt setting, this was his best game in a while. Mills scored well (in fact, he should have had two more points because Jackson goaltended one of his layups) and made a few plays by pressuring the basketball. Despite his struggles in recent games, the best thing about Mills is that he remains confident and just keeps going after it with a healthy amount of fearlessness.

Pop A-
I thought it was a risky for Pop to play Parker and Ginobili for the third straight game but it turned out to be a good decision. Being able to stay in rhythm at this point of the season is invaluable. Pop masterfully juggled the lineup without Duncan to keep the Spurs competitive while not overextending anyone. Since the embarrassing loss against the Lakers, Pop has pushed all the right buttons to get this team back on track.

Arcadian
04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Heh, nice timing...I just got on to check for grades the minute after you posted them.

Phenomanul
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
"Simultaneous heart attack" is an understatement... I thought Ginobili had fractured his skull!

Thanks for the grades... :tu

Blake
04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Bonner 2 points, +17

All hail the king.

Blake
04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
The question now is will Duncan also sit out against the Lakers?

Fireball
04-19-2012, 10:59 AM

I do not think so ... Pop really is looking to keep his guys fresh but also in rhythm ...

Cant_Be_Faded
04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Are we peaking too early, or with the playoffs next weekend are we peaking perfectly?

will_spurs
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I didn't watch the game, but when I woke up this morning and watched the replay, I didn't even care if we won or not, just that nobody got injured. The headlines weren't pointing to an injury, so the collision between Manu and Evans took me by surprise, and I was thinking "please tell me this is a bad joke", before the guy said it was nothing in the end.

dylankerouac
04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the grades and the write-up big man. Enjoy your two days of rest before the Lakers this Friday.

Though, you take a break? I'm pretty sure you have another quality post on the way.

spectator
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Bonner 2 points, +17

All hail the king.

i hail you mr. the king :king

play them all vs lal, then rest them all the way - our reserves should win 2/4

z0sa
04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Spurs ball movement and execution on offense is the best I've seen it this season. For the month of April Spurs as a team are averaging a scorching 50%, tops in the League by far!

Despite the amazingly efficient offense,31 FTAs is the biggest number that jumps out to me: the Spurs only average 21.6 FTAs per contest on the season and have averaged 22.7 in April, marks which put them in the lower half of the NBA. The big differences recently? Manu playing like Manu and Splitter getting touches and 20+ minutes. In April, Manu has the 4th most FTAs in the League among SGs, and in this same last few weeks Splitter is averaging the most FTAs of his career. I have no doubt that these two playing at a high level (and consistently) will bump the Spurs FTAs by a good amount and will give the Spurs the ability to draw fouls and get easy points in the playoffs we haven't gotten all year long.

Additionally, their TOs were great. Only 11 with 26 assists, nice stuff. And to add to that, they scored off of the Kings seemingly every time they turned the ball over. It's only the Kings but punishing them so astringently this close to playoff time and without Timmy feels good. Beating the teams you're supposed to beat and stuff.

Blake
04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I do not think so ... Pop really is looking to keep his guys fresh but also in rhythm ...

I'm betting Pop sits him next to Manu and Tony.

Splits
04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Solid grades, nice writeup. Thanks

EVAY
04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
I agree with most of your grades and I thank you for putting in the time to do it. Quite frankly, I was tired after staying up late three nights in a row to watch these games, much less play them or travel or even have a job and children and try to keep up with this.

I just think the whole team deserves an A for having gotten through this period and having so many games. Everybody on that team was exhausted last night, and it showed. But they kept going and kept trying and made it happen finally.

I was surprised that Parker started because he had been so strong a factor in the Laker win. His fatigue was evident in his shots being short several times and in his difficulty in pressing the pace. But having said that, I think it borders on nastiness to fault a guy (even a little) who has done what he did in the two nights before that and is watching Tim sit out for the night, knowing that Tim's sitting out puts more and more pressure on him (Tony) to carry the team.

Don't get me wrong. Tim did need to sit out last night and I'm glad that Pop sat him. But that decision nonetheless put more pressure on a guy who was the primary guy in the win the night before, and who had to be worn out himself.

Pop was working his butt off last night, I thought. He was active, he was coaching in between players' stints on the floor...and he managed minutes
brilliantly.

Maybe I'm just showing my educational background: 'A for effort?' :lol

Keepin' it real
04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I noticed that Kawhi was out there during garbage time while Bonner was resting on the bench with the starters. Since the least valuable players play garbage minutes, I interpreted this as Bonner > Leonard in Pop's opinion.

What do you think? For this postseason only, who do you all think will be more critical to the Spurs' success: Leonard or Bonner?

GSH
04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
The thing I like the most is that the grades are consistently higher than they were early in the season. The Spurs have improved throughout the season, and they appear to be playing their best ball with the playoffs right around the corner.

DBMethos
04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Are we peaking too early, or with the playoffs next weekend are we peaking perfectly?

Last year was the perfect example of peaking too early. This one's shaping up a lot differently.

Steve-O-Matic
04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
I noticed that Kawhi was out there during garbage time while Bonner was resting on the bench with the starters. Since the least valuable players play garbage minutes, I interpreted this as Bonner > Leonard in Pop's opinion.

What do you think? For this postseason only, who do you all think will be more critical to the Spurs' success: Leonard or Bonner?

It's not at all always true that "the least valuable players play garbage minutes." Garbage minutes in a given game can be dicated by a lot of factors which have nothing to do with overall value. Minutes played by others during the game up to that point due to matchups plays a role in who gets the garbage minutes. Rest for older players, players nursing minor ailments or players who played a large # of minutes in previous nights plays a role. Getting court time for younger, less experienced (not synonymous with 'less valuable') players plays a role. Players returning from injury who need some burn on the court to shake off the rust plays a role. The game inactive list plays a role. Trying out some experiments (2 PG's or 2 C's on the floor at the same time) can play a role. And so on. Saying that Leonard is less valuable than Bonner simply because he was on the court at the end is tantamount to saying that Duncan is less valuable than Bonner because Duncan wasn't active for the game and Bonner was.

Spur|n|Austin
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM

I'm going to say no, but what do I know; especially when it comes to what Pop will or won't do.

skin
04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Solid grades as usual. Thanks!

benefactor
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the write-up.

Everything feels so good about this team right now...and with the playoffs a week away I am more excited than I have been in a very long time.

Keepin' it real
04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Ok, all that not withstanding, my question remains: For this postseason only, who do you think will be more critical to the Spurs' success: Leonard or Bonner?

It's not at all always true that "the least valuable players play garbage minutes." Garbage minutes in a given game can be dicated by a lot of factors which have nothing to do with overall value. Minutes played by others during the game up to that point due to matchups plays a role in who gets the garbage minutes. Rest for older players, players nursing minor ailments or players who played a large # of minutes in previous nights plays a role. Getting court time for younger, less experienced (not synonymous with 'less valuable') players plays a role. Players returning from injury who need some burn on the court to shake off the rust plays a role. The game inactive list plays a role. Trying out some experiments (2 PG's or 2 C's on the floor at the same time) can play a role. And so on. Saying that Leonard is less valuable than Bonner simply because he was on the court at the end is tantamount to saying that Duncan is less valuable than Bonner because Duncan wasn't active for the game and Bonner was.

silverblackfan
04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Good evaluation, as usual. Thanks for the effort.

Does anyone think that Bonner's April shooting % is down because he is putting more effort into his defense? Sean mentioned last night that battling the bigs can wear out the legs.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Leonard

He will have at least one clutch steal / one man fast break score for us these playoffs. It's becoming his signature move.

Bonner we know will miss his threes.

Legacy
04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the write-up, timvp. :D You must be quite tired yourself. :sleep

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Truly feels like bizarre-o world... Spurs just wrapped up 5 wins in 7 nights, and swept our 2nd set of back to back to backs. I remember looking at the schedule before the season started and thinking we had no chance to sweep one of them, much less both of them.

TheSkeptic
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Ok, all that not withstanding, my question remains: For this postseason only, who do you think will be more critical to the Spurs' success: Leonard or Bonner?

Bonner.

In a perfect world it'd be Leonard but since we all know that our championship hopes will be resting on Bonner's ability to make his shots during the playoffs...

Manufan909
04-19-2012, 06:16 PM

This times a thousand.

Also, thanks for the grades timvp!!! I couldn't find a good feed so the grades were especially helpful this time around.:toast

Manufan909
04-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Bonner.

In a perfect world it'd be Leonard but since we all know that our championship hopes will be resting on Bonner's ability to make his shots during the playoffs...

I hope you're pretty, cuz your sarcasm sucks.:(

Only Tiago, the Big 3, and maybe Neal/Green/SJax will be more important this postseason than Leonard.

TheSkeptic
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
I hope you're pretty, cuz your sarcasm sucks.:(

Only Tiago, the Big 3, and maybe Neal/Green/SJax will be more important this postseason than Leonard.

Ha ha. I'm too camera-shy to prove anything either way. :p: What does pretty have to do with it in any case?

I agree that Leonard is more important to the team both now and in the post-season but I think Bonner will be playing more than Tiago whereas Leonard will be getting about the minutes he should be.

Ergo, we'll need Bonner to play completely over his head and perform like he's never done before. If he doesn't, the Spurs will get into a hole against a good team and it'll be too late to rectify the situation with Tiago.

G-Dawgg
04-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I actually respect Bonner's defense. At times his lack of foot speed makes him a bit slow rotating on defense, but his man to man position-defense in the post is actually really solid. Although he lacks quickness, he tries hard to move his feet and he must be a deceptively strong/physical dude..

EVAY
04-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I actually respect Bonner's defense. At times his lack of foot speed makes him a bit slow rotating on defense, but his man to man position-defense in the post is actually really solid. Although he lacks quickness, he tries hard to move his feet and he must be a deceptively strong/physical dude..

This. Really.

People just get into a habit of dissing on a guy and never let growth change their minds.

therealtruth
04-19-2012, 06:42 PM
This. Really.

People just get into a habit of dissing on a guy and never let growth change their minds.

On most teams Bonner would never have gotten as many chances or minutes as he has.

G-Dawgg
04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
On most teams Bonner would never have gotten as many chances or minutes as he has.

Then Popovich must see things in him that the average Spurstalk poster doesn't I guess huh?

...maybe the ability to be 6'10, be at the top of the NBA in 3pt fg% yearly and play good interior defense? It can't be a fluke that on many nights he's led us in +/-

The knock on him though, is that we need him to do that kind of stuff during the playoffs... As a Spurs fan, I hope he can...

TheSkeptic
04-19-2012, 06:50 PM

I'll even take it a step further and say that he's been playing awesome this season. As a player he knows his role and he does it to perfection. Always has come to think of it and his improved defense and effort on the boards has been great to see. My problem is more that he's overplayed but I don't blame Bonner for that.

Solid D
04-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks, timvp. Two things stand out to me about this year's Spurs team that it has been missing for several seasons is Fire Power and playmaking. Even on nights when the legs are tired, this team has enough playmakers to create easy scoring chances or get to the line.

Even with the annual advent of "Bonner SPAM" (Shoots Poorly After March), the new additions to this team seem to take better advantage of the spacing created when Matt draws his defender away from the paint. With Leonard's sneaky but determined 1-man fast breaks, Gary Neal's improved pick and roll skills and mid-range game, Diaw's cleverness, Danny's slashing, and Tiago's unique timing on rolls to the basket, this version of the Spurs are a mobile clinic. Good times!

100%duncan
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks!

maverick1948
04-19-2012, 10:46 PM

I'll even take it a step further and say that he's been playing awesome this season. As a player he knows his role and he does it to perfection. Always has come to think of it and his improved defense and effort on the boards has been great to see. My problem is more that he's overplayed but I don't blame Bonner for that.

I'll add this. On 1/3 of the teams, Bonner would be a starting PF. Much can be said against this but there are teams that can't put a PF on the floor any better than Matt. That is why they are bottom feeders from year to year.

Manufan909
04-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Ha ha. I'm too camera-shy to prove anything either way. :p: What does pretty have to do with it in any case?

I agree that Leonard is more important to the team both now and in the post-season but I think Bonner will be playing more than Tiago whereas Leonard will be getting about the minutes he should be.

Ergo, we'll need Bonner to play completely over his head and perform like he's never done before. If he doesn't, the Spurs will get into a hole against a good team and it'll be too late to rectify the situation with Tiago.

Just trying to get a laugh out of you. You seemed a little too morbid about the whole affair, so I decided to lighten the mood. I do hope that Tiago gets more PT than Bonner, even though that likely won't be the case. Hopefully that isn't the case in any playoff series against a big frontline, like the Lakers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Thunder, or Bulls.

Spurs da champs
04-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Just trying to get a laugh out of you. You seemed a little too morbid about the whole affair, so I decided to lighten the mood. I do hope that Tiago gets more PT than Bonner, even though that likely won't be the case. Hopefully that isn't the case in any playoff series against a big frontline, like the Lakers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Thunder, or Bulls.

The Clippers & Thunder are far from a 'big' frontline, Timmy has dominated the Thunder the last 2 games defensively BTW. 17.5 boards & 3.5 blocks! But yes we're defiantly gonna need Splitter against Lakers & Grizzlies.

TheSkeptic
04-20-2012, 12:38 AM

It worked. :lol

100% agreed.

I'll add this. On 1/3 of the teams, Bonner would be a starting PF. Much can be said against this but there are teams that can't put a PF on the floor any better than Matt. That is why they are bottom feeders from year to year.

Sure on a team that's absolutely strapped.

Not on a contender with other options though in my opinion. Due to his decent defense and effort on the boards, he's a specialist who can be played extra minutes without costing the team on the other end when he's hot.

The Clippers & Thunder are far from a 'big' frontline, Timmy has dominated the Thunder the last 2 games defensively BTW. 17.5 boards & 3.5 blocks! But yes we're defiantly gonna need Splitter against Lakers & Grizzlies.

I think the Thunder frontline seems bigger than it is because their team is kind of tall in general. Just the impression I get. Tim & Blair have played really well against them this season though and they just don't scare me in a series.

That said, the Clipper bigs are athletic but more talented offensively than OKC's imo since Griffen> Perkins & Ibaka on that end. I have mixed emotions about Bonner playing 20+ against that frontline tbh.

jjktkk
04-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the writeup and grades Tim.