Blake
04-19-2012, 01:23 PM
"...nobody should ever call him a flopper ever again......."

Blake
04-19-2012, 01:24 PM
doesn't matter. He still hates the Spurs. :cry

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
That's the point I've been making to haters for years. Sure, Manu shows off his soccer roots when he's taking a charge, but he takes just as many hard fouls if not more going to the rim, which I think makes the refs more likely to take some of his flops seriously which only fuels more haters. It's a vicious cycle.

ChumpDumper
04-19-2012, 01:30 PM
"...nobody should ever call him a flopper ever again......."But he does flop.

Two separate issues.

Reck
04-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Brave and tough..thin line.

You choose which to go with. I prefer brave.

He's tough too but not, I can stay healthy for an entire season tough.

z0sa
04-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Someone needs to tell that to his DNP-Injured stat.

SA210
04-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Downside to having someone on ignore, can't read this post about Manu. :lol I'm sure it's on the Internets elsewhere though..

lol

ChumpDumper
04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Downside to having someone on ignore, can't read this post about Manu. :lol I'm sure it's on the Internets elsewhere though..

lolDrama queen. Just click your mouse and look at the post.

Now you can post about having me on ignore too.

Blake
04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
But he does flop.

Two separate issues.

For sure. I think he was just saying that more as hyperbole than anything.

I was really just fishing for some hard core Rome haters. I've enjoyed my previous conversations with them. Shits and giggles and such.

Blake
04-19-2012, 02:11 PM

lol

lol I bet you logged out and read my post already.

Reck
04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
lol I bet you logged out and read my post already.

He saw it.

Even if a person has you on ignore and someone else that's not on his ignore list quotes you, he will be able to read it from that person's quote from you.

The ignore list is not perfect. You can still read people's posts through quotes.

hater
04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
a guy who got choked on his own show talking about toughness?

4down
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Brave and tough..thin line.

You choose which to go with. I prefer brave.

He's tough too but not, I can stay healthy for an entire season tough.

Tough and durable are a little diffreent IMO - I feel like toughness is more ability to take hits and keep playing - durability is more a structural thing.

Anyway, tomato, tomahto

DAF86
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Why do sports "experts" always say stuff like this? How the fuck can you know if player "X" is the toughest guy on the league or player "Y" is the one that most wants to win? Why is it allowed for "professionals" to say subjective retarded shit without beign called for it?

dunkman
04-19-2012, 03:29 PM
He must be joking . . .

MannyIsGod
04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
That's the point I've been making to haters for years. Sure, Manu shows off his soccer roots when he's taking a charge, but he takes just as many hard fouls if not more going to the rim, which I think makes the refs more likely to take some of his flops seriously which only fuels more haters. It's a vicious cycle.

I love how this blame soccer for flopping meme has taken off with basketball fans in the US. I hear it ALL the damn time now. I can't remember a time when players in the NBA didn't flop for calls. Soccer did not invent trying to get bullshit calls.

Anyway, just my rant for the day.

Drachen
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
I love how this blame soccer for flopping meme has taken off with basketball fans in the US. I hear it ALL the damn time now. I can't remember a time when players in the NBA didn't flop for calls. Soccer did not invent trying to get bullshit calls.

I am not going to argue the "origin of flopping" but in the 90's most of what I remember was down in the post player a had the ball, player B bodies up on him. Player A lowers his shoulder and slams into the chest of player B repeatedly trying to move him. Player B doesn't want to give up position so he takes the pounding.

One of the reasons why Karl Malone (for example) was able to use the "pull the chair out from under you" technique so effectively.

MmP
04-19-2012, 03:43 PM

Besides, Manu hates soccer, or at least said he's played like 5 times in his life a soccer game. So I dunno where that soccer thing came from. Flopping for Manu I guess it came from Italy, and playing in Euroleague where you have to sell every call, and try to win as much as you can because there are tough games. Plus Manu has the type of body to sell better the calls. He's skinny and flexible so he looks fragile when you check him.

Keepin' it real
04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Why do sports "experts" always say stuff like this? How the fuck can you know if player "X" is the toughest guy on the league or player "Y" is the one that most wants to win? Why is it allowed for "professionals" to say subjective retarded shit without beign called for it?

Wait, what? Sports talk shows like Jim Rome's are almost all opinion-based. In Rome's case, it's mostly his arrogant, west-coast-biased opinion, but nevertheless, what's he supposed to talk about for 3 hours if he's not giving his opinion on the sports stories of the day?

MannyIsGod
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I am not going to argue the "origin of flopping" but in the 90's most of what I remember was down in the post player a had the ball, player B bodies up on him. Player A lowers his shoulder and slams into the chest of player B repeatedly trying to move him. Player B doesn't want to give up position so he takes the pounding.

One of the reasons why Karl Malone (for example) was able to use the "pull the chair out from under you" technique so effectively.

Malone's PG was one hell of a flopper. John Stockton probably just watched a lot of soccer though.

cheguevara
04-19-2012, 03:47 PM
you can't really flop as blatantly in basketball as in soccer. in soccer the field is huge and there are 22 players out there and only 1 ref has the whistle, you have to act like you got shot for the ref to notice it.

btw, in soccer I'd say 95% of the real fouls are not called. Ref only has 2 eyes. In bball I'd say 50% of more of the real fouls are called. different sports.

Blake
04-19-2012, 03:58 PM

To me soccer players faking injury are much worse than basketball floppers.

Smh.

coyotes_geek
04-19-2012, 04:01 PM

You're allowed to do it do. You also seem to be doing a good job of calling out "professionals" for doing it.

MannyIsGod
04-19-2012, 04:05 PM
To me soccer players faking injury are much worse than basketball floppers.

Smh.

I agree. The rolling around is stupid. It doesn't change that soccer didn't invent the flop and sure as hell didn't bring it to the NBA or college basketball.

DisAsTerBot
04-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Malone is the greatest flopper in NBA history.

vlade divac is the greatest flopper of all time!!!

Blake
04-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree. The rolling around is stupid. It doesn't change that soccer didn't invent the flop and sure as hell didn't bring it to the NBA or college basketball.

The NBA flop is the less filthy distant cousin of the soccer injury fake.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Haven't seen Manu flop in years. That said, there are some tough motherfuckers in the NBA. I think the better word for Manu is the one Pop used: Fearless.

Obstructed_View
04-19-2012, 04:18 PM

That's true. But in soccer you can bait the refs into calling a penalty by staying on the ground and acting extra injured. NBA officials wilil let the other team dribble around your body until your team fouls or gets possession to call a timeout.

DAF86
04-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Wait, what? Sports talk shows like Jim Rome's are almost all opinion-based. In Rome's case, it's mostly his arrogant, west-coast-biased opinion, but nevertheless, what's he supposed to talk about for 3 hours if he's not giving his opinion on the sports stories of the day?

I'm ok with people giving opinions like: "the Heat are the best team in the NBA because blah, blah, blah" but not with retarded ones that everybody repeats without thinking like: "Nobody wants to win as bad as Kobe" what the fuck is that shit? yeah, I'm sure Duncan thinks: "well, if I win this one it's cool if not it's cool too".

NFO
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
People actually care what Jim Rome says about Spurs players?

disciple
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
But he does flop.

Two separate issues.

I am so sick of this entire 'flopping' argument. In my mind everyone is totally missing the point.

Emphasizing something that IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING is not the same as flopping. I have seen some guys flop. Which in reality is 'faking' something that NEVER TOOK PLACE.

There are numerous examples of emphasizing. And actually most of them are found on the offensive end. In a variety of settings the ball handler or shooter will emphasize a hit or even a touch by the defender. Thus, increasing the chances of getting a favorable whistle. This happens all the time and there is not all this screaming and hollering about how it is ruining the game.

Rebounders both offensive and defensive will do the same thing as a ball handler or shooter to emphasize being hit or touched.

But when a defender does it while trying to get a charge called on his opponent everyone gets all upset. I say, everyone needs to be consistent. Get upset with all the other stuff too.

I agreed with the NBA when they were going to fine players for flopping. Why has nothing come of it? My guess is because when they actually started reviewing tape to determine who gets fined for 'lieing' to the refs, they saw that there was no flopping at all from those they expected to be fining. What they saw was actually emphasizing something that was really taking place.

I have NEVER seen Manu flop by my definition. He is just one of the best ever at emphasizing what is taking place.

There are floppers out there but they must not be who the NBA wanted to target.

GSH
04-19-2012, 07:43 PM

The idea that soccer is somehow responsible is one of the most ignorant themes to come down in a long time. I don't know exactly who started it, but I suspect it was someone who couldn't stand the idea that so many foreign players were making their way to the NBA. The comment always hinted that players not from the U.S. were softer, and somehow had to resort to flopping - "just like in that pansy soccer thing they play over there". Stupid comment, but there's no shortage of stupid in this world.

Just about every player in the NBA has to "sell a foul" once in a while. (The ones who don't are missing a necessary skill.) Of course, there's not much need for it, if you don't hustle into position often. Robert Horry put himself into position to sell a lot of fouls. Anderson Varejao puts himself into position to sell a lot of fouls. Manu has always worked to suck out fouls like that. It's more noticable for him, because he does it more often than a lot of the lazy-ass defenders in the league.

I have NEVER seen Manu flop

That, on the other hand, is going overboard the other direction. Sometimes he flops.

maverick1948
04-19-2012, 08:45 PM
But he does flop.

Two separate issues.

Ask Tyreke Evans' 2 front teeth if Manu flopped.

ohmwrecker
04-19-2012, 09:18 PM
It's not a flop if there is a foul.