PDA

View Full Version : Manu poised to be huge in the playoffs?

dn0774
04-19-2012, 01:37 PM
I have been getting this feeling lately that Manu is primed to have an incredible playoff run. For all of the Spurs success and depth this season, Gino has really flown under the radar and been the forgotten man due to that early injury which caused him to miss half the season.

He is rounding into form and has been incredibly efficient this season in his limited minutes. Come playoff time I would expect Pop to take off the reins and let Manu run wild for 30-34 mpg. I still think back to his 2005 playoff run where he really carried the team for stretches, especially against Denver and Seattle as well as Detroit, his scoring and playmaking was so explosive yet efficient...one of the best postseason runs I have ever seen.

I only hope he is able to enter the playoffs 100% this season and maintain that health throughout.

ElNono
04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Maybe

z0sa
04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I think a big indicator of how he's rolling into form is his FTAs recently. He's 4th in the league in total FTAs in April, pretty impressive tbh.

edit: that's only for SGs :)

Bruno
04-19-2012, 01:52 PM
When he was on the court, Manu has been damn good this year. A proof of that he that he is 7th in the league at the PER ranking:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2012&year_max=2012&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per

His problem is that he hasn't been enough on the court. Injuries are the main reason of that but there is too Pop being really careful with him. If Manu can stay healthy in the playoffs while Pop will give him more minutes, he should be great. I have faith in Manu.

Knoxxx
04-19-2012, 01:53 PM
He is putting up amazing stats for his limited playing time. Someone give us some PER or 48 minute stats, have to be great lately.

Knoxxx
04-19-2012, 02:11 PM
You must be a mind reader. Also I don't see 3 teams with a 'big 3" all in the top 20 in per, given TP is in a virtual tie for 19th.

The big 3 is very much alive and well, savor every minute!

(and Splitter is well ahead of Bosh in per also)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Until two weeks ago, I was really worried based on his body language. He didn't look to be agressive and kept playing the facilitator role, playmaking, sending passes or taking the ocassional jump shot. That was probably the most passive Manu I've seen in his entire carrer. Obviously the injury factor was there, he looked like taking things easy. He was tremendously efficient in that run, but he knows that when the playoffs come, attacking the paint will be far more important than open three pointers, specially if some role players aren't hitting them...

But these last two weeks he has started to attack the basket more and placing his body on the line and making scrappy plays (rebounds, steals, charges, etc.). I think that The Nose is smelling playoffs :lol

Please, please, please remain healthy.

cheguevara
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
last few games he's been rounding into shape. He was just coasting

ducks
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
did not manu post he was trying to to now get fouled the last 2 weeks ato train his body to get hit again
pop has told him to knock it off and settle for jumpshots to remain healthy

ducks
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
He is putting up amazing stats for his limited playing time. Someone give us some PER or 48 minute stats, have to be great lately.

per 48 with manu is the stupist stat
he can not play more then 30

silverblackfan
04-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Shhhh. Don't jinx it.

Stay healthy, Manu.

DBMethos
04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
His recent play has been extremely encouraging, the noggin-knocking incident with Evans notwithstanding.

Speaking of Manu, found this on RealGM just now: "Manu won't be considered top 10 all time SG's. To even suggest he challenges West ,Drexler,Wade...is almost a laugher. First yo need to convince us he's better than Kevin Martin,Monta Ellis and Eric Gordon. While he's at 12 ppg this year...that won't be very easy."

:rollin

Brazil
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I think Manu is due for huge POs.

He has spent a quite nice relaxing year when everybody was into the mine 4 or 5 games a week, it's time for him to carry the load throughout the POs and to get the applauds for the way he is playing now that it matters when the others will get the Boos for having up and downs after a crazy 66 games in 4 months.

MmP
04-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I just couldn't care less if he scores 1, 3 or 40 points in a game anymore. I know he's gonna be important out there, he'll try to win. So, being helthy is my main aim for him.

Yuixafun
04-19-2012, 03:48 PM
There was a play, I believe during the 18-0 stretch against the Lakers, when Manu looked back to me.

From the right side of the wing he curled semi circle and shifted the Lakers defense, and then as 3 guys in the paint were basically standing up he cut from between the 3 point line and free throne line and got all the way to the rim before they could even react for an easy lay up.

:greedy

Budkin
04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Better not get injured the last game of the season again.

Dex
04-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Better not get injured the last game of the season again.

Or through the playoffs. People seem to assume that if he (or any of our Big Three) make it into the playoffs, they'll be bulletproof.

Let us not forget that Manu had his nose broken in the third game of first round series against Dallas in 2010, and he just never quite looked the same.

will_spurs
04-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Yes, he can. Popovich doesn't let him play more than 20+ minutes . You fail

No he can't. Case closed.

I fully expect Manu to do his thing in the playoffs, because that's where he thrives. As others have pointed out, just his mentality will be a difference maker, because he won't shrivel. As the saying goes: when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

However he's not going to be a focus point as he was in other years. He'll certainly take over a couple of games on his way to a 4th ring, but he won't carry the team. He's #3 in the Big 3 right now, but the Spurs don't need his production, they only need his magic.

DAF86
04-19-2012, 04:34 PM
No he can't. Case closed.

I fully expect Manu to do his thing in the playoffs, because that's where he thrives. As others have pointed out, just his mentality will be a difference maker, because he won't shrivel. As the saying goes: when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

However he's not going to be a focus point as he was in other years. He'll certainly take over a couple of games on his way to a 4th ring, but he won't carry the team. He's #3 in the Big 3 right now, but the Spurs don't need his production, they only need his magic.

Yes, he can. Case closed.

Well, that was easy :)

will_spurs
04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Yes, he can. Case closed.

Well, that was easy :)

Easier is this: point to me when Manu played more than 30 minutes per game and didn't get injured within 5 games? :lol

Man In Black
04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Big Game Players do Big Game Stuff.

He will not just meekly play Big 3. If there is wall to run through, that's what he does. That's all he does provided his body lets him. I wish he played with long hair because it helped us see him accentuate the movements.
:flag:

TMTTRIO
04-19-2012, 05:02 PM
We'll have to wait and see. Manu said he was really lacking a lot of confidence and rhythm. He also seemed to indicate being more of a facilitator/role player this year. If he has to he'll be more involved but with the talent we have on this team I see Manu only stepping up when the Spurs really need something. I don't think we'll see monster games from Manu in the playoffs but he'll contribute in little ways. Tony needs to continue to be the MVP on this team for us to go anywhere.

Knoxxx
04-19-2012, 05:06 PM
per 48 with manu is the stupist stat
he can not play more then 30

Point was lately he is scoring a point a minute and assist per every 3. You might be impressed when he plays 30 minutes and goes off for 30 points and 10 assists.

Then we can add in his rebounds and steals...

Manu has been putting up nice stats lines in very limited minutes.

siraulo23
04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Or through the playoffs. People seem to assume that if he (or any of our Big Three) make it into the playoffs, they'll be bulletproof.

Let us not forget that Manu had his nose broken in the third game of first round series against Dallas in 2010, and he just never quite looked the same.

exactly

injured in 08 playoffs vs lakers

09 i believe it was 10 games before the POs he's out

10 broken nose vs dallas

11 last game of POs

Dr Cox
04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
If OP Jinxes it then we get to find him/her and punch him/her in the nuts/boob.

This team could play better than last years team if Manu went down but he is still a huge need for this team (Duh).

Stay healthy Manu...please!

DAF86
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Easier is this: point to me when Manu played more than 30 minutes per game and didn't get injured within 5 games? :lol

In the last 6 playoffs he has played he has averaged more than 30 minutes in all of them.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/272/seasontype/3/manu-ginobili

Well, that was easier.

ogait
04-19-2012, 05:56 PM

Well, let's go with the entire 2010/2011 season until the Phoenix game and end your argument for good.

I'm very aware that durability was always the factor that prevent him from going to the next level, but the injuries he suffered like broken noses, broken arms and fractured ankles can not be correlated with playing time.

ogait
04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
-The Spurs don't need his production-

This seems to be a recurrent opinion in the forum these days. Couldn't disagree more.

If Manu doesn't play at least 32 to 35 mpg and putting up at least something close to his playoff averages (17 ppg and 4apg), the Spurs won't go very far.

DAF86
04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
If things are tough as expected (and Manu doesn't get injured) Pop will play Manu more than 30 minutes without a doubt, in fact it's likely that Manu will have a bigger role than Duncan on the offensive end in the playoffs.

therealtruth
04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Manu is crucial for the playoffs. He's the only guy you can't gameplan against.

Mel_13
04-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Poised or not we'll need a great effort from Manu to make a deep playoff run.

With Manu absent in 2009 and injured in 2010 and 2011, we've only won one playoff series in three years. That's not a coincidence.