PDA

View Full Version : The Recipe in San Antonio: Pace, Space and Parker

ace3g
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Before Miami Heat Coach Erik Spoelstra went back to the drawing board after his team’s collapse in the 2011 N.B.A. finals, he first turned to Oregon’s football coach, Chip Kelly. In Kelly’s spread offense Spoelstra saw some of what he desired in his own team: a concrete use of elite athleticism, incredible speed in both personnel and approach, and a firm understanding of how to use the field of play as a tool of legitimate advantage.

Spoelstra emerged from his meetings with Kelly with a clearer idea of where his team could go and a particular buzz phrase that encapsulated his new systemic standards (via Tom Haberstroh of ESPN.com): pace and space.

Those were the two crucial tenets of Kelly’s spread offense, and thus they would therefore double as the underlying principles of Spoelstra’s new offense.

But while Spoelstra may be the chief N.B.A. proponent of the “pace and space” terminology, those two concepts have long catalyzed the change in philosophy in San Antonio. Gregg Popovich had a proven system that had worked for a decade, but when faced with his stars’ decline in athleticism, he oddly turned to pace and space for entirely different reasons. For Popovich and the Spurs, pace and space weren’t mechanisms to best use their physical advantages; they were the most sensible way to mitigate the very natural decline of a basketball institution inching further and further away from his prime.

Tim Duncan is still a star, but he is not the Tim Duncan of old. He works from the block as a reliable force, but not a dominant one. He rebounds consistently, but needs ample help. He still bears every bit of defensive knowledge he has accumulated, but has lost the ability to shade every stage of a pick-and-roll without surrendering a sliver of advantage to the offense. He is productive and capable, but Popovich was among the first to realize that what Duncan needed most was pace and space.

But what Duncan needed, in a more literal sense, was Tony Parker.

Parker has long been a big part of the Spurs’ plans, but in the last few seasons his role and importance have changed drastically. No longer is San Antonio’s offense the tri-dependent attack that leaned almost equally on the talents of Duncan, Parker and Manu Ginobili; the new-look Spurs are almost shockingly reliant on Parker’s skills, as he remains San Antonio’s primary conduit to both pace and space.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/the-recipe-in-san-antonio-pace-and-space-and-parker/#

Robz4000
04-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Good read

mkurts
04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Its not just Parker - I think in order for the Spurs to contend, Tim Duncan must continue to play at an All Star level.

Duncan has to consistently score well in the post and rebound to create that space to shoot those 3 balls that the team has come to rely heavily on, and also frees up either Ginobili or Parker to shoot that mid range shot or drive to the basket.

Solid D
04-19-2012, 06:44 PM
He may seem slow relative to some of today’s open-court terrors, but Parker has managed to retain every bit of his fast-break potency.

He's never seemed slow to me in any season against any of the open-court speedsters. Otherwise, a decent article.

dylankerouac
04-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Lots of good articles about Spurs up and around these days. Good read.

pgardn
04-19-2012, 09:45 PM
He's never seemed slow to me in any season against any of the open-court speedsters. Otherwise, a decent article.

Same for me.

But his ability to finish at the rim has improved dramatically from his younger days. His understanding of what the refs will call and his determination to directly attack a moving defender is amazing. And if he can hit that jump shot... we have a shot.

Reasonable take in the article.

I would add our ability to change pace while keeping aggressive on the offensive end as very beneficial. We get some very good looks after moving the ball around with minimal time left on the shot clock. This tactic is more wearing on defenses imo. If we can move them through screens and such for 20 seconds on possessions when the opponent's D is set but tired... very debilitating physically and mentally.

Love those long possessions that result in an easy little layup. No thunderdunks, just a pesky little bunny.

Spur|n|Austin
04-20-2012, 12:22 AM
nice find, thanks!

jjktkk
04-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Solid read, thanks for sharing Ace.

Legacy
04-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Thanks for sharing! :)

Dr. John R. Brinkley
04-20-2012, 04:13 AM
I like the transition in the article from Miami to SA. Very well written. NYT sports writing looks more interesting these days.