PDA

View Full Version : Today's big games and what they mean for the Spurs

roycrikside
04-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Heat-Bulls...

If Chicago wins, then I think realistically we won't catch them for the #1 seed. We'd have to win out while they lose two of their last three games, and I doubt they'll lose BOTH the Mavs game at home and the Pacers on the road. Maybe one, but not both.

However, that result would mean that Miami lost, so we'd have a one game cushion over them as far as HCA. I still think the Heat are the favorites to come out of the East, and also a tougher match-up for us than the Bulls, so probably rooting for a Chicago win would be the best thing. If Miami does lose tonight, then we can lose one of our final five games and still have the edge over them. The Heat also have a home game against what should be a desperate Rockets team and at Boston, who always play them tough, so maybe even a 3-2 finish would get it done to top them.

So yes, if Chicago wins, I could see the logic in tanking the Lakers game tomorrow to give our guys a breather and to help LA in their path the 3 seed and away from our bracket. However, that would reduce our margin of error with OKC to nil and we may need to win our final 4 games.

If Miami wins though, then it means that suddenly we've got the same number of losses as the Bulls, and since they have the tie-breaker, we'd still need to go 5-0 and hope they lose that Pacers game. In that case, I absolutely go for the win against LA (and everyone else). Having HCA all the way would be huge, and in truth we only need to try in two of our final five games as the other three will be cake. Besides, if the Heat win then we'd still be neck-and-neck with them so we can't afford to drop another game until they do.
As for Clips-Suns, which will be played after Heat-Bulls, I think that result may also determine how we play tomorrow's game. If the Clips win tonight and the Lakers lose tomorrow, it's going to be likely that the Lakers fall to fourth, so maybe tanking tomorrow would be the smart play. Don't forget, the Lakers still have a game against the Thunder too, who seem to own the Lakers.

If the Suns win though, then we can beat the Lakers tomorrow and still have a decent chance of them keeping the 3 seed.

Personally, I'm rooting for the Bulls and the Suns, but not matter how either game goes, there will be positives and negatives. For example, if the Suns get eliminated from the playoffs (or clinch the 8th spot) before game 66, maybe Nash won't play and it will be easier to beat them in that road game without trying too hard.

DesignatedT
04-19-2012, 06:59 PM
we play to win every game. not tanking anything

Mel_13
04-19-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't think that the outcome of tonight's games will have the slightest effect on how Pop approaches tomorrow's game.

He'll rest whoever needs rest and the others will play to win.

Sense
04-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Why wouldn't Nash play on the final game of the season? The Suns aren't going to make the playoffs, their schedule is brutal... but why would he sit?

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Let's go Suns! (just so San Antonio can get Phoenix in the 1st round)

DesignatedT
04-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Yeah. You better believe that last game @PHO is going to be a tough one and I wouldn't chalk that up as a guaranteed W right now. Even if the Suns are knocked out of contention at that point they will have 1 more game to let all their frustration out against their arch rival the Spurs while being able to potentially ruin our plans.

They will most definitely get up for our game.

Thompson
04-19-2012, 07:17 PM
we play to win every game. not tanking anything

Technically, we did tank a game against Dallas a couple years ago in order to get the Mavericks in the playoffs - and then we knocked them out. I remember the fact that we tanked just to get them and then eliminated them really irked some Mavs fans.

DesignatedT
04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
We rested players but we almost won that game :lol

GinobiliForTres
04-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Technically, we did tank a game against Dallas a couple years ago in order to get the Mavericks in the playoffs - and then we knocked them out. I remember the fact that we tanked just to get them and then eliminated them really irked some Mavs fans.

Memphis did this to the Spurs last year, as well.

Sense
04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Let's go Suns! (just so San Antonio can get Phoenix in the 1st round)

:lol you probably have more faith than their fans at this point... their remaining schedule..

vs LAC
vs DEN
@UTA
vs SAS

GSH
04-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah. You better believe that last game @PHO is going to be a tough one and I wouldn't chalk that up as a guaranteed W right now. Even if the Suns are knocked out of contention at that point they will have 1 more game to let all their frustration out against their arch rival the Spurs while being able to potentially ruin our plans.

They will most definitely get up for our game.

Beating the Spurs is still a big treat in Phoenix. And if it's important for the Spurs to win it, the Suns will be really intent on winning it. Besides that, it could very well be the last game Steve Nash plays there. He won't miss it.

100%duncan
04-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Lakers leads the tiebreaker over Lac so most likely LA still stays at 3. But pushing them to 4 and us going back to 2 is gonna be a perfect situation.

letmk
04-19-2012, 08:08 PM
As long as we need only play one of Thunder/Lakers, it's good enough for me. In terms of home court, it's far less important than health.

Knoxxx
04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
No idea why this talk of tanking the Lakers game.

pgardn
04-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Lets go through all the permutations...

Kill me now.

Crookshanks
04-19-2012, 10:46 PM
In other news, the Suns are hanging tough against the Clippers and have a 1 point lead at the half.

thOOdee
04-19-2012, 11:24 PM
damn suns are playing w/ some fire.....still suck though

Robz4000
04-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Suns are getting fucked by the refs, Clips are gonna win.

$pursDynasty
04-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Lakers leads the tiebreaker over Lac so most likely LA still stays at 3. But pushing them to 4 and us going back to 2 is gonna be a perfect situation.

yes that is the perfect storm, why I'd like everything to stay close in both races for #! and #3 and then have it in Pop's hands how to work it in the last game. I want to beat the Lakers tomorrow because I don't want them thinking we sweat them that being said avoiding them if possible would be the wisest course of action. Having the Grizz, Fakers and OKC on the same side of the bracket meaning we only have to face one of them would be perfection but to be honest and nothing wrong with taking the road of least resistance.

Robz4000
04-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Suns won, so now the Spurs can beat the Lakers tomorrow, Lakers can lose to OKC, and still hold that 3 seed. Spurs then just need to take care of business and keep that 1 seed.

ducks
04-20-2012, 12:26 AM
bull 16 losses

spurs1990
Love to see Houston in the 1st round. Would be a big break for travel between the cities.

ducks
heat 17 lossses

Robz4000
04-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Love to see Houston in the 1st round. Would be a big break for travel between the cities.
Pretty sure they're out now. Even if they weren't, they'd be a potential nightmare matchup for the Spurs. With Scola, Martin, Dragic, and Lowry they would kill the Spurs all over and prolly force it to a 6/7 game series.

Mel_13
04-20-2012, 12:38 AM

Houston is all but dead. They have to win out, including a game at Miami, while neither one of Utah and Phoenix finish out 2-1.

TheSkeptic
04-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Houston is all but dead. They have to win out, including a game at Miami, while neither one of Utah and Phoenix finish out 2-1.

I'm glad the Spurs won't have to play them but I'm sort of sorry to hear that.

crc21209
04-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Pretty sure they're out now. Even if they weren't, they'd be a potential nightmare matchup for the Spurs. With Scola, Martin, Dragic, and Lowry they would kill the Spurs all over and prolly force it to a 6/7 game series.

They're 1 game behind Phoenix and Utah, but I can't see the Rockets passing either of them. Here are the remaining schedules for those 3 teams....

Phoenix (33-30) (Currently #8)

Sat, Apr 21 vsDenver
Tue, Apr 24 @Utah
Wed, Apr 25 vsSan Antonio

Utah (33-30) (Currently #9)

Sat, Apr 21 vsOrlando
Tue, Apr 24 vsPhoenix
Thu, Apr 26 vsPortland

Houston (32-31) (Currently #10)

Sat, Apr 21 vsGolden State
Sun, Apr 22 @Miami
Thu, Apr 26 vsNew Orleans

Utah has the easiest schedule left, but we'll see what happens. Houston might be screwed having to go to Miami IMO....

Mel_13
04-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Utah has the inside track for the 8 seed.

Robz4000
04-20-2012, 12:48 AM
They're 1 game behind Phoenix and Utah, but I can't see the Rockets passing either of them. Here are the remaining schedules for those 3 teams....

Phoenix (33-30) (Currently #8)

Sat, Apr 21 vsDenver
Tue, Apr 24 @Utah
Wed, Apr 25 vsSan Antonio

Utah (33-30) (Currently #9)

Sat, Apr 21 vsOrlando
Tue, Apr 24 vsPhoenix
Thu, Apr 26 vsPortland

Houston (32-31) (Currently #10)

Sat, Apr 21 vsGolden State
Sun, Apr 22 @Miami
Thu, Apr 26 vsNew Orleans

Utah has the easiest schedule left, but we'll see what happens. Houston might be screwed having to go to Miami IMO....
:lol If Houston somehow manages to overcome all that and get into the playoffs, I definitely wouldn't want a piece of that in the first round.

GSH
04-20-2012, 01:40 AM
BTW - the Suns just beat the crap out of Blake Griffin tonight. He had 14 points in the first quarter, and only made 2 free throws after that. If it was anybody else, I might feel sorry for him, because they just worked his ass over. He was a total non-factor down the stretch. One take-away is that he can be intimidated - I don't care who says otherwise. He's big, and athletic, but when they put the wood on him, he crumbled. Makes me wish we had a Kevin Willis.

Manufan909
04-20-2012, 02:44 AM
BTW - the Suns just beat the crap out of Blake Griffin tonight. He had 14 points in the first quarter, and only made 2 free throws after that. If it was anybody else, I might feel sorry for him, because they just worked his ass over. He was a total non-factor down the stretch. One take-away is that he can be intimidated - I don't care who says otherwise. He's big, and athletic, but when they put the wood on him, he crumbled. Makes me wish we had a Kevin Willis.

How did they do it? Did they have Lopez just maul him constantly, or did Gortat shit him down?

Fireball
04-20-2012, 04:02 AM
How did they do it? Did they have Lopez just maul him constantly, or did Gortat shit him down?

you are right about Lopez ... Flagrant 2 against Griffin :lol

Legacy
04-20-2012, 04:13 AM

Word. He got a taste of his own medicine tonight.