PDA

View Full Version : President Obama’s Budget Priority: Eliminate the D.C. Voucher Program

spursncowboys
04-20-2012, 10:42 PM
http://blog.heritage.org/2012/04/12/president-obamas-budget-priority-eliminate-the-d-c-voucher-program/

And, at between $8,000 and $12,000, the vouchers are a fraction of the more than $18,000 spent per-pupil in D.C. public schools.

DMX7
04-21-2012, 08:46 AM
That's a clever statistic that disingenuously compares apples to oranges.

Of course, there are more issues at stake though.

spursncowboys
04-21-2012, 08:56 AM
So it isn't more beneficial to the student to go to a private school?

It isn't cheaper?

Why are you against school vouchers DMX?

Stringer_Bell
04-21-2012, 11:15 AM
As someone that experienced the integration of public school kids into a private school via the voucher system...I can honestly say it's a crock of shit. Those kids are not developmentally able to handle an atmosphere geared toward learning and their parents just put them there cuz they qualify for it (they'll just take anything people give them and give it a shot. 2/3 of the kids weren't allowed back cuz they had bad grades or caused disturbances, it's not worth it.

Keep the bad kids outta good schools, stop vouchers!

Note: I'm not against low-income children getting a private school education when their grades/behavior merit it. There's good kids out there that deserve a chance not to have to be in a shitty school where they can't learn and don't feel safe. But MOST of the kids in those voucher programs are the bottom of the barrel.

Stringer_Bell
04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
And another thing, fuck that bitch who wrote that article asking Obama to explain to the Children of DC why their educations are in danger. DC public schools are crap, DC doesn't get enough tax revenue cuz the politicians that live there find find loopholes so they don't pay taxes. It's not Obama's fault. The reason that DC vouchers are so expensive is cuz the DC private schools are so expensive...only rich people send their kids to private school. DC is systematically flawed.

spursncowboys
04-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Why is Obama against low income children to go to the same school his children go to? It's a valid question although of course it's hyperbole to assume he has to explain every decision he makes as president to the people are negatively affected.

In Freakonomics, studying the voucher system in Chicago, they concluded that it didn't make the kids smarter to go to private schools. What was more important was that it was the childrens parents who made the difference. The main reason was that the parents who took the vouchers were more involved in their childs life. With that said, I think we should give the kids who's parents want more for their child, than failing and unsafe schools, to have that opportunity. It will create a better future for the lower class that the democrats seem to want to help.

Wild Cobra
04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Keep the bad kids outta good schools, stop vouchers!

What about the good kids that just come from poor families?

Stringer_Bell
04-21-2012, 12:03 PM
What about the good kids that just come from poor families?

See the note at the bottom of that post. Private schools have funds they utilize to help children stay in school when their parents can't afford it. Perhaps those funds aren't available to random kids off the street, but I don't doubt that exceptions are made and help is offered to bright young people that just don't have access to a quality education because of location/income. Sure, some kids fall thru the cracks, but when the parents (or parent) pursue a quality education for their kids - help is there a lot of times, and I don't mean thru government vouchers.