PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Advocating the Spurs.

midnightpulp
04-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Aside from last week's drubbing at the hands of the Lakers, the Spurs have played near perfect basketball since a 120-108 loss against the Clippers (which was without Tony Parker) on March 9. During this time span, their record has been an impressive 21-3, including road wins against Oklahoma City, Boston, and the Lakers, not to mention a convincing home win against the Grizzlies, a team the Spurs don't match up too well with on paper.

Given their recent track record, I think it's safe to say the Spurs are the favorite to win the Western Conference. But ultimately, other than vying for a favorable seed, the regular season is pretty much meaningless. As we know, using it to predict potential playoff success can only go so far. The game changes in the post-season to a grittier style and a slower tempo that doesn't necessarily favor the new look Spurs.

That said, I'm still cautiously optimistic this team can make a strong championship run, but I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them trip up in the 2nd round, and here's a list of reasons why:

Not top heavy enough. While Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili are still one of the NBA's premier trios, the main weakness of the group is that there is not one superstar among them. You can consider Tony Parker a borderline superstar, I guess, but historically, teams with point guards as their best player typically don't succeed in the post-season. You can make the argument that Duncan is still the Spurs' best player, since he's still good offensively, but unlike Parker, can affect the game on the defense end. But even if that's correct, the fact a 36 year old Duncan is their best player is still a cause for a concern, bringing me to my second point.

No dominant superstar. Who is going to step on this team in one of those type of a playoff games where nerves are rattled, the jumpshots are hitting nothing but rim, and the opposing team is pushing hard. In the past, Duncan was the guy to take over with a 35 and 15 game as the rest of the team was scared to death to shoot. Now that we'll probably never see Duncan approach that level again, who is going to be that guy for the Spurs? Parker is capable of a big game, but you don't feel anywhere near as secure with him stepping up and winning a big game as you did with vintage Tim Duncan.

Unproven. Yes the core is proven, but this isn't the same permutation of the main core that won titles. The past core was built around Tim Duncan in the low-post, whereas the current core is more penetration/perimeter centric. In addition, the Spurs have many key rotation players (Green, Leonard, Splitter, Neal, etc) who haven't seen much playoff action.

Size. Now that Popovich has seemed to appreciate the difference Splitter's size makes (and how it bolsters Duncan's defensive presence), and with the addition of Diaw, I'm not as concerned with the Spurs getting pushed around in the paint as I once was, but it is still a concern, especially if the Spurs find themselves matched up against LA or Memphis.

Duncan and Manu haven't had a great playoff series in a while. Duncan's last one was in '08 against the Suns. And I can't honestly recall the last time Manu had a great series. You can say the Spurs have enough depth to cover for Duncan and Manu's lack of production as they age, but alluding to point two, if that depth find themselves in a slump (which happens more often than not in the playoffs), Duncan and Manu need to be great, or at the least, very good, for the Spurs to win a playoff series against a top team. Parker's consistent 18-20 points won't be enough. For instance, if they're playing Oklahoma City in the WCF, and Durant and Westbrook are on fire in a key game, Duncan and Manu are past the point where they can answer the onslaught from opposing superstars. Again, the Spurs have great depth and hopefully it'll be enough to offset Duncan and Manu simply being good. But in case like this, you'd much rather have a pair of superstars to fall back on rather than hope your bench will produce.

Spur_Fanatic
04-21-2012, 03:33 AM
I see a 1st round exit for us again this year.
Manu will get hurt again, and TD is just too old.

Robz4000
04-21-2012, 04:14 AM
I agree on all points. However, I think 2 and 5 aren't as big of concerns. Although Parker has been playing at an MVP-caliber level, Manu is still the best player on the team. If he's at full strength, the Spurs are covered on 2 (Manu being a dominant superstar) as well as 5 (if Manu and Tony have a good series, the Spurs can win provided Duncan's D is strong).

Jacob1983
04-21-2012, 04:15 AM
It's an even numbered year. The Spurs have never won the NBA championship in an even numbered year. However, anything can happen in the playoffs. They could choke in the 1st round or go to the Finals and win the whole thing.

TE
04-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Good thread...should've been posted upstairs but what the hell, who cares.

I agree with your take on the unproven supporting cast. If one thing is going to hold this team back, other than health and/or the occasional subpar game from one of the big three, it's going to be relying on players like Green and Leonard to produce when it counts.

This team is a contender, but a lock for the NBA finals? Not yet. It's going to be a battle come second round when a matchup with either Memphis or LA is inevitable. Compared to last year, I feel they're more prepared for anything a team might throw them, be it size or small ball. This years team is so damn versatile at all positions it is hard to say otherwise. Oh and I really hope they're peaking just at the right time (offensively and defensively)... Don't want it to end up like last year.

Jacob1983
04-21-2012, 04:31 AM
Wouldn't last year's experience help them?

TheSkeptic
04-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Wouldn't last year's experience help them?

Most knowledgeable fans thought that the Spurs would lose due to their frontcourt last year. Maybe not to Memphis in the first round but still...

For a while it looked like we were headed in the same direction this season but after that humiliating shellacking last week I think Pop has done a better job with our big rotation. I've been on the fence this season but if he sticks with Duncan/Splitter/Diaw as the main bigs while giving Bonner 10-15, that should shore things up some.

BRHornet45
04-21-2012, 04:49 AM
It's an even numbered year. The Spurs have never won the NBA championship in an even numbered year. However, anything can happen in the playoffs. They could choke in the 1st round or go to the Finals and win the whole thing.

but son don't forget this is also an * year as well.

Manufan909
04-21-2012, 05:35 AM
but son don't forget this is also an * year as well.

BRH with the goods. Man I hope the Spurs bookend the drive for 5 with lockout-shortened seasons.

LkrFan
04-21-2012, 05:46 AM
- TP needs to be able to play 39+ mpg for you guys to have a shot at anything. How come Manu wasn't running that 2nd unit? Choo Choo is a scorer - need to not try to make him a PG. The Lakers made their comeback in the 2nd qtr when Pop did that. Patty should have been in that position - not Choo Choo.

- You cannot expect TD to be dialed in like he was against the Lakers. I'm still pissed with our bigs. TD can hit that 13-17 foot jumper all day if left open like he was. Why he was open like that all night long is beyond me a frustrating to watch. Our bigs didn't come to play tonight which was disappointing.

- Your bench will be key. Manu, Jack, and Diaw will determine how far you guys will go. All 3 of these guys can pass and finish which are great assets for bench players. Manu's bullet pass to The Red Rocket! ended any comeback attempt the Lakers were about to make tonight. I saw the looks on the Lakers' faces: pissed facial expressions turned into an oh shit! look. Jack is fiery, hood, and has a good hoops IQ - he will be a big addition. Diaw has his moments but also has a high hoops IQ. He gotta get his ass in shape though.

- Pop needs to start Duncan and Splitter (Yeah i know: No Shit!). Splitter is no all star but he hustles and is a willing defender - although foul prone. I think it was his presence that allowed Duncan to rest a bit defensively and go off offensively. I'm pissed with MB and Gasoft because to get them out of that set, there is no reason NOT to exploit that matchup to get Pau going and send Splitter to the bench with two early fouls. This happens - then we repeat the massive rebounding discrepancy of our game 1 matchup.

TheSkeptic
04-21-2012, 06:07 AM
- TP needs to be able to play 39+ mpg for you guys to have a shot at anything. How come Manu wasn't running that 2nd unit? Choo Choo is a scorer - need to not try to make him a PG. The Lakers made their comeback in the 2nd qtr when Pop did that. Patty should have been in that position - not Choo Choo.

You'd think but Patty is a lot like Neal except significantly worse at shooting. Neal is shaky and he really can't be trusted to run the team without Manu but Patty seems to be really only good for certain match-ups. Their defense is also a wash and I'm not sure Pop would want to play a new acquisition all that much in the playoffs. As for the point guard the Spurs drafted this year... He's just not ready.

But yeah. We'll need TP to play at least that much.

- You cannot expect TD to be dialed in like he was against the Lakers. I'm still pissed with our bigs. TD can hit that 13-17 foot jumper all day if left open like he was. Why he was open like that all night long is beyond me a frustrating to watch. Our bigs didn't come to play tonight which was disappointing.

No arguments here.

- Your bench will be key. Manu, Jack, and Diaw will determine how far you guys will go. All 3 of these guys can pass and finish which are great assets for bench players. Manu's bullet pass to The Red Rocket! ended any comeback attempt the Lakers were about to make tonight. I saw the looks on the Lakers' faces: pissed facial expressions turned into an oh shit! look. Jack is fiery, hood, and has a good hoops IQ - he will be a big addition. Diaw has his moments but also has a high hoops IQ. He gotta get his ass in shape though.

Agreed. Except Diaw's likely going to be starting.

- Pop needs to start Duncan and Splitter (Yeah i know: No Shit!). Splitter is no all star but he hustles and is a willing defender - although foul prone. I think it was his presence that allowed Duncan to rest a bit defensively and go off offensively. I'm pissed with MB and Gasoft because to get them out of that set, there is no reason NOT to exploit that matchup to get Pau going and send Splitter to the bench with two early fouls. This happens - then we repeat the massive rebounding discrepancy of our game 1 matchup.

Yeah right. :lmao :lmao :lmao

I mean I agree with you on this too but that's just not going to happen unless we play the Lakers again. My suspicion is that Diaw will most likely be starting.

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer Splitter as a starter but it's a little late to integrate him in and I'm alright with Diaw as long as Splitter plays more.

Also, Splitter's actually a better player than he's looked like against the Lakers. Easily a 15+ scorer in my opinion. Maybe more given touches and the ball. It's just that this game was his second start ever with Duncan and I think he wasn't really comfortable doing it since they've never really played together before this.

100%duncan
04-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Supposed to be posted upstairs, tbh.

boutons_deux
04-21-2012, 09:16 AM
"TD can hit that 13-17 foot jumper all day if left open like he was. Why he was open like that all night long is beyond me a frustrating to watch"

so the LA bigs could stay low and crush the Spurs on the boards. :lol

jeebus
04-21-2012, 09:34 AM
BRH with the goods. Man I hope the Spurs bookend the drive for 5 with lockout-shortened seasons.

:lol Laker fans would be so mad, the thread creation would be endless from them. It would be hilarious

midnightpulp
04-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Solid take.

Goran Dragic
04-21-2012, 09:35 AM
:lmao 100%Duncan's sig. "Who calls the Spurs boring" with a series of gifs that have ordinary layups and nothing else.

DMC
04-21-2012, 11:23 AM
:lmao 100%Duncan's sig. "Who calls the Spurs boring" with a series of gifs that have ordinary layups and nothing else.
:lmao You only getting excited over dunks and nothing else.

Leetonidas
04-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Spurs are kind of like an inverse version of the 2004 Pistons. Instead of elite defense and decent offense they have elite offense and decent defense. I think if they get the right matchups, they can win the title.

Gagnrath
04-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Top .gif fairly amazing thread the needle 35' pass on a semi-broken play.

#2 .gif Hum, that's a dunk your point is null. Oh and it was an under the basket reverse dunk as well.

#3 This is showing how outlet passing works, you'll notice that it was a 2 second possession to score 2 points.

#4 shows a nice hesitation crossover on a fast break, not really all that special Parker does it twice a game on average.

#5 Its not a lay-up.... your point is still null, I'm not sure why thats there though.

#6 Dunk your comment is null. This shows how annihilation of bad transition defense is accomplished, Why the lakers brought that double team at green confuses me but he makes hitting duncan with a bounce pass in stride fairly straightforward looking, and Duncans man (Bynum I'm pretty sure wasn't in proper position for a center (just outside the top of the exclusion for charges semi circle) that he doesn't even make the frame of the picture till post duncan dunk.

#7 a no look pass to a cutting center for a dunk... Maybe some people appreciate passing?

Drachen
04-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Top .gif fairly amazing thread the needle 35' pass on a semi-broken play.

#2 .gif Hum, that's a dunk your point is null. Oh and it was an under the basket reverse dunk as well.

#3 This is showing how outlet passing works, you'll notice that it was a 2 second possession to score 2 points.

#4 shows a nice hesitation crossover on a fast break, not really all that special Parker does it twice a game on average.

#5 Its not a lay-up.... your point is still null, I'm not sure why thats there though.

#6 Dunk your comment is null. This shows how annihilation of bad transition defense is accomplished, Why the lakers brought that double team at green confuses me but he makes hitting duncan with a bounce pass in stride fairly straightforward looking, and Duncans man (Bynum I'm pretty sure wasn't in proper position for a center (just outside the top of the exclusion for charges semi circle) that he doesn't even make the frame of the picture till post duncan dunk.

#7 a no look pass to a cutting center for a dunk... Maybe some people appreciate passing?

#4 - look at jack after Parker goes all medusa on blake, He looks like a cartoon doing broadway dancing. LOL

speaking of SJax, we were at he mall today and my daughter got a balloon rose made by this clown that was there. After he was done she said "thank you" took two steps and said "I like your rose, clown!" really loud and all I could think about was "Fuck yo' balloons CLOWN!"