PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Am: Mexico Approves Landmark Climate Law

FuzzyLumpkins
04-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Mexico's Senate unanimously approved landmark climate change legislation yesterday that sets the country on a pioneering path to drastically reduce its domestic greenhouse gas emissions.

The measure calls for Mexico to cut carbon 30 percent below business-as-usual growth by 2030 and 50 percent by midcentury. It now goes to President Felipe Calderón, who has championed action to control climate change and is expected to sign it.

Once the legislation is finalized, Mexico will be only the second country after the United Kingdom to have domestic global warming legislation in place, activists said. It also will be a leader among developing nations taking concrete steps to rein in explosive carbon growth.

"No developing country in the world has a climate law, let alone a climate law that has this vision and this ambition, that integrates all of the sectors at the national level in a system for climate change," said Vanessa Perez-Cirera, head of climate and energy programs for WWF Mexico.

Mexico is the world's 11th-largest economy, as well as the 11th-largest greenhouse gas emitter. But under the rules of the U.N. climate change regime, it is not yet obligated to curb carbon. Activists said yesterday that Mexico has a long way to go -- the new bill, which passed 78-0 just a week after overwhelming House passage, does not put a price on carbon, nor does it mandate that the country meet the emission reduction goals.

But by putting the targets into law and mandating a set of regulations -- including requiring 35 percent of the country's electricity to come from clean sources by 2024; establishing a voluntary carbon market; developing incentives to promote renewable energy; phasing out fossil fuel subsidies; and forcing companies in the largest carbon polluting sectors to report their emissions -- they said the results could be groundbreaking.

"It's a major thing. We're making these targets legally binding, so we're actually putting our actions where our mouth is," Perez-Cirera said.

Excerpt fom: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=mexico-approves-landmark-climate-law

boutons_deux
04-21-2012, 09:12 AM
"establishing a voluntary carbon market;"

... works every time! :lol

Passing a pollution/green law in a failed country run by drug cartels is divertidísimo

greyforest
04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
mexico city is ridiculously polluted as fuck...not surprising they want to unfuck their capital city

DarrinS
04-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Mexican citizens must be relieved

TE
04-22-2012, 03:06 AM
"establishing a voluntary carbon market;"

... works every time! :lol

Passing a pollution/green law in a failed country run by drug cartels is divertidísimo

This was actually funny in a weird way. :lol

Biernutz
04-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Of course Mexico will now clean up its domestic greenhouse gas emissions. They will get the money to do this from wait --wait---wait---wait for it----from the good old USA. Not only will you pay for them to live in your home town but you also get to clean up the air in Mexico. I love being a U.S. taxpayer.

Wild Cobra
04-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Of course Mexico will now clean up its domestic greenhouse gas emissions. They will get the money to do this from wait --wait---wait---wait for it----from the good old USA. Not only will you pay for them to live in your home town but you also get to clean up the air in Mexico. I love being a U.S. taxpayer.
If that's the case, it's worse than I thought.

I just figured that since Mexico is so polluted, that any small effort will be a big step for them. I don't see this as being anything to have a thread about. Praising them for something that should have been done decades ago, is pretty lame in my book.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Wheres the part where the Mexican legislature can make commitments for the US treasury?

I must've missed that part.