PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough Love(Noise!) AT THE SBC CENTER!

deespur
06-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Come on corporate Spurs fans go crazy! Help light the fire under them spurs!
Damn, how embarrassing compared to the Detroit fans! :pctoss

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
So you were in the SBC Center building?

Shelly
06-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Sigh...It's extremely loud in there, but as stated before, they don't mic the crowd or the rims.

I was at game one and my ears were still ringing the next day.

WayDowntownBang
06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't know.. seemed kind of loud in there tonight. Even mentioned it to the wife that the crowd was INTO that game.

atlfan25
06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
So you were in the SBC Center building?
are you surprised?

mrcoon29
06-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I was pleasantly suprised by the suits cheering.

Tom_Foolery
06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Come on corporate Spurs fans go crazy! Help light the fire under them spurs!
Damn, how embarrassing compared to the Detroit fans! :pctoss

Kinda hard to cheer when the visiting team is ragdolling the Spurs all over the court and leading majority of the game.

Tek_XX
06-21-2005, 11:18 PM
well it's loud, but you can't blame the fans, when the Spurs aren't playing to well. Not much to cheer about when detroit scoring most of the time down the court.

deespur
06-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Just by also watching the game, you can see sitting instead of standing and - heck I've been to Spurs games and wonder why some people go - they just sit and clap. I know our Spurs didn't play well tonight, but what a big difference our corporate fans -compared to Detroits. Just an observation.

Our Spurs need to show some heart! I appreciate the Detroit fans - the support the gave their team and I wish our fans would just go a little crazier! :depressed

Sonia_TX
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
The SBC Center was very loud...I was there.

And of course...the Palace is probably louder because there are more fans (it's a bigger arena)... The almost 19,000 at the SBC Center did their part.

nkdlunch
06-21-2005, 11:39 PM
I have to agree. I don't know if it was loud. But the fans looked lame as hell. Come on!!! show some emotion.

Tek_XX
06-21-2005, 11:39 PM
And does it really matter, Spurs have to bring it reguardless. The fans feed off the players and if they get on a roll that place will be jumpin.

deespur
06-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Just listening to Spurs Radio WOAI. A spurs fan at the game said he decided to get up and cheer the spurs he'd had enough of bad play and decided to stand and yell and have fun and said that spurs fans started throwing popcorn at him. Just heard earlier in the after teh game show. :wow

combs84
06-22-2005, 12:59 AM
I don't know.. seemed kind of loud in there tonight. Even mentioned it to the wife that the crowd was INTO that game.

Seriously? I just didn't see it. I mean all arenas get up and cheer after a big bucket..but other then that i heard very little.

At the Palace you get a Defense Chant and a clapitty clap everytime down the floor.

Cathreina
06-22-2005, 01:01 AM
I was there, it should have been louder mic or no mic the fans at the center need to light a fire. No voice and no sleep for me tonite.

spurschick
06-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Just listening to Spurs Radio WOAI. A spurs fan at the game said he decided to get up and cheer the spurs he'd had enough of bad play and decided to stand and yell and have fun and said that spurs fans started throwing popcorn at him. Just heard earlier in the after teh game show. :wow

I called in right after that guy...
I left the game completely disgusted by the so-called "fans" sitting in the lower level. I was lucky enough to find a reasonably priced ticket in the ninth row and was amazed to see that I was the only one really standing and cheering within a ten foot radius. As I looked around the SBC Center, I realized that the situation was similar in just about every section. The guy sitting behind me even got angry at me for standing up and cheering. He said, "I paid $1,000 for this seat. You can't be standing up like that all night." All I could think about were the thousands of real fans at the airport Sunday night, who would have gladly stood and cheered at the SBC Center for 48 minutes, but instead were relegated to various bars downtown because they couldn't afford ticket broker prices.

I came home after the game and immediately started looking for tickets for Game 7. What I found were ticket prices so out of the ballpark that I fear that Game 7 is going to be filled with even more corporate types that, when they are eventually coerced out of their seats to cheer, simply stand there with their arms folded and mouths shut. Think these same folks would be caught dead at the river parade or the Alamodome celebration? Not a chance.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-22-2005, 01:27 AM
So you're upset that no one was standing up?

Last time I checked, one is able to clap, scream, cheer, yell, and make whatever noise they want while sitting down. What does standing up do? Make you look bigger?

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 01:28 AM
So you're upset that no one was standing up?

Last time I checked, one is able to clap, scream, cheer, yell, and make whatever noise they want while sitting down. What does standing up do? Make you look bigger?

Shutup. Have you ever been to a game? The players, cheerleaders, coyote, etc love to get all the fans on their feet -- especially in huge games like this. It's part of cheering.

goliath
06-22-2005, 01:31 AM
I actually had an opportunity to sit in the lower level for Game 1 but said no thanks. Id rather sit in my season tickets in section 202 because its full of season ticket holders who actually get up and cheer and yell.

Before I got season tickets and would end up in different sections every game I went to I hated it when someone would tell me to sit down or be quite. The first year in the dome, we had partial tix. The lady who sat in front of us actually complained about us. Said we stood up too much and cheered to loud.

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2005, 01:33 AM
I was there, and I have to say that I thought the crowd was lame. I have no voice left, and my companions and I didn't sit down the whole time (my seats are in row 1 upstairs). The lower level treated Game 6 like some meaningless December game. Half of downstairs was empty when the 2nd half started (exaggeration, but not far from the truth) and those who were there were mostly flat. I expected much, much more from a Spurs crowd. Seemed like a lot of people just wanted to be there, but few were really into it.

There was a great deal of complacency in that building tonight.

I also thought that the Spurs organization did a TERRIBLE job of keeping the fans involved. Having Pizza Hut frisbee tosses and HEB beach ball drops in the second half of a close-out game in the Finals? No Coyote? No "Crazy Lou"? No real effort to keep the fans involved in the game? Fans must bear the burden of cheering, but when the franchise is more interested in pimping product at that stage, it's not particularly helpful.

timvp
06-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Spurs fans were overconfident. Everyone was talking about where they were going to be for the river parade and what they will be wearing to the Alamodome celebration. Nobody thought the Spurs were going to lose.

That spread to the players and the players played a horribly sloppy game and didn't even know the plays that Pop was calling. If I'm 20 rows up and I know where everyone is supposed to be and the players don't ... that is not a good sign.

goliath
06-22-2005, 01:36 AM
I also thought that the Spurs organization did a TERRIBLE job of keeping the fans involved. Having Pizza Hut frisbee tosses and HEB beach ball drops in the second half of a close-out game in the Finals? No Coyote? No "Crazy Lou"? No real effort to keep the fans involved in the game? Fans must bear the burden of cheering, but when the franchise is more interested in pimping product at that stage, it's not particularly helpful.

I agree. I understand sponserships and such but they should try to get them all out of the way in the first half.

I thought it was loud but I guess that was just my section. But I agree, the lower level usually does suck in the noise department

BadlyDrawnBoy
Shutup. Have you ever been to a game? The players, cheerleaders, coyote, etc love to get all the fans on their feet -- especially in huge games like this. It's part of cheering.

Yes, yeah, sure. But what effect does it have on the "noise" volume.

I'm sure it'd sound just as loud if everyone in the building were sitting down clappping as it would if everyone was standing up and clapping.

I'm not defending jackasses that don't do a thing and have their hands under their asses. I' m just making a commentary on the little to no noise difference when standing or sitting.

timvp
I was there, and I have to say that I thought the crowd was lame. I have no voice left, and my companions and I didn't sit down the whole time (my seats are in row 1 upstairs). The lower level treated Game 6 like some meaningless December game. Half of downstairs was empty when the 2nd half started (exaggeration, but not far from the truth) and those who were there were mostly flat. I expected much, much more from a Spurs crowd. Seemed like a lot of people just wanted to be there, but few were really into it.

There was a great deal of complacency in that building tonight.

Exactly.

Plus, as you predicted earlier today, the overconfident feeling in the arena was suffocating. Nobody thought the Pistons were showing up.

That's what I was afraid of.

P.S.

Freaking Spurs fans got so bored they started doing the wave.

:wtf

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 01:37 AM
the players played a horribly sloppy game and didn't even know the plays that Pop was calling.

There were so many instances of the players on the floor running the wrong plays tonight or not being in the right spots, it was sick. I don't even get why/how they didn't understand what was being called. Several times I saw players getting waved to the right spot on the floor. That kind of crap is for December, not June.

goliath
06-22-2005, 01:38 AM

That was horrible. I was like WTF????

Game 6 of the NBA Finals and we're doing the wave????

Whats worse is after a couple minutes, the SBC and coyote got into it and started encouraging it.

kris
06-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Spurs fans were overconfident. Everyone was talking about where they were going to be for the river parade and what they will be wearing to the Alamodome celebration. Nobody thought the Spurs were going to lose.

That spread to the players and the players played a horribly sloppy game and didn't even know the plays that Pop was calling. If I'm 20 rows up and I know where everyone is supposed to be and the players don't ... that is not a good sign.

:lol I think you just don't like the fans to be overconfident. I don't think the players played sloppy because they felt the fans' overconfidence.

goliath
06-22-2005, 01:40 AM
:lol I think you just don't like the fans to be overconfident. I don't think the players played sloppy because they felt the fans' overconfidence.

No they played sloppy because the players were overconfident too.

T Park
06-22-2005, 01:40 AM
lol.

This has happened before.

This is where you miss an Avery Johnson.....

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Plus, as you predicted earlier today, the overconfident feeling in the arena was suffocating. Nobody thought the Pistons were showing up.

I'm so disappointed to have been right about that one -- puro San Antonio, though. I heard it from the time that I woke up this morning. You could hear it in conversations around SBC Center before the game and it carried right through for most of 4 quarters. It was palpable -- some "fans" seemed to be saving it for some big celebration at the end.

Terrible reaction by San Antonio. Terrible.

It's on the Spurs for being rattled when it mattered the most, but the fans here didn't help the home team the way that Piston fan represented in Motown.

P.S.

:wtf

sigh. I thought precisely the same thing.

timvp
06-22-2005, 01:43 AM

The Spurs were more overconfident than Sean Elliott chewing gum going into game four of the 2000 series. The entire city was overconfident.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-22-2005, 01:46 AM
I'm so disappointed to have been right about that one -- puro San Antonio, though. I heard it from the time that I woke up this morning. You could hear it in conversations around SBC Center before the game and it carried right through for most of 4 quarters. It was palpable -- some "fans" seemed to be saving it for some big celebration at the end.

Terrible reaction by San Antonio. Terrible.

It's on the Spurs for being rattled when it mattered the most, but the fans here didn't help the home team the way that Piston fan represented in Motown.

sigh. I thought precisely the same thing.

Nice of you to throw in the ntire city for something suits in the SBC Center did.

Go out to Champs or Fatso's or The Coast or whatever sports club/bar you want and tell me they're not making noise.

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Man, it was everywhere at SBC. It was everywhere around town today. The first thing I heard on the radio this morning was the City's plan for a Thursday parade. That's freakin' ridiculous when you haven't accomplished anything yet. When I went to lunch, all I heard was about how the series was over -- how the Pistons couldn't deal with losing Game 5 -- how the Spurs would just bury them -- how this was just like 2003. The complacency was off the charts.

You're right in the sense that I shouldn't include the WHOLE city, but it's really on all of us for assuming things that hadn't yet happend. Optimism is one thing. Complacency is something else entirely.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-22-2005, 01:56 AM
Man, it was everywhere at SBC. It was everywhere around town today. The first thing I heard on the radio this morning was the City's plan for a Thursday parade. That's freakin' ridiculous when you haven't accomplished anything yet.

Yeah,planning for an event before hand is real stupid. I guess if the Spurs won tonight, the city was supposed to start planning tommorrow?

It's weird that Detroit was also polanning for a parade today.

Did you know that the city also had a planned parade for Saturday had the Spurs lost tonight and won Thursday.

It's called getting your shit together.

When I went to lunch, all I heard was about how the series was over -- how the Pistons couldn't deal with losing Game 5

That's called confidence. I don't see how that relates to the SBC Center and whether or not its loud enough for your nipples to pop out.

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Yeah,planning for an event before hand is real stupid. I guess if the Spurs won tonight, the city was supposed to start planning tommorrow?

It's weird that Detroit was also polanning for a parade today.

Did you know that the city also had a planned parade for Saturday had the Spurs lost tonight and won Thursday.

It's called getting your shit together.

Fine. Plan it, but don't go around publicizing it like its a done deal. Respect your opponent, take care of your business, and announce it when the series is actually over.

That's called confidence. I don't see how that relates to the SBC Center and whether or not its loud enough for your nipples to pop out.

There's a major difference between confidence and optimism and complacency. Confident fans, optimistic fans are loud and proud. Complacent fans tend to not do much, figuring that the thing is done. I thought complacency was rampant at SBC Center tonight, but what the hell do I know -- I was only there and in the middle of all that.

goliath
06-22-2005, 02:09 AM
The crowd for the most part was complacent. The crowd was much better when it felt there was something on the line, like Den Game 2 and Seattle Game 5

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-22-2005, 02:12 AM
Fine. Plan it, but don't go around publicizing it like its a done deal. Respect your opponent, take care of your business, and announce it when the series is actually over.

Yeah, don't clue in 2 million people about when a parade is going to be if the team wins.

Leave them clueless until just moments before it happens. Then roll one of those beeping scrolls on the TV.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Yeah, don't clue in 2 million people about when a parade is going to be if the team wins.

Leave them clueless until just moments before it happens. Then roll one of those beeping scrolls on the TV.

Umm... they would have had plenty of time to alert the public of when the parade would be. It's not like if they won tonight, it would be tomorrow morning.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-22-2005, 02:15 AM
If the team won tonight, that only gives them tomorrow to do something.

Why not spread the word before hand about when it's going to happen.

It doesn't change anything. It's not the reason the Spurs lost.

It's not the reason for anything except for this silly little argument between me and FWD.

timvp
06-22-2005, 02:15 AM
Bottomline is the fans and the Spurs acted like the game was just a warmup before they hand out the trophy.

kris
06-22-2005, 02:25 AM
http://www.mailorderexpress.com/shop/prdpics/82552.jpg

T Park
06-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Agreed,

all the freakin river parade, all the drinking shit.

All that does is fire up the goddamn Pistons.

But whatever, "WERE WINNING BY TWELVE!!" - Some moronic antonian

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-22-2005, 02:31 AM
If the fucking Pistons need anymore motivation other than it being a win or go home game, then they shouldnt be in the finals.

"BUT THE RIVER PARADE MAD THE MEAN MAN MEANER MOMMY!" said the front running quitter.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:46 AM
OK anyone who wasnt at this game has absolutely NO clue.

I went to 7 playoff games last year and it was NEVER this loud. I went to 20 reg season games last year and it was never close. I have been to games in Houston and Dallas and their arenas never touch the decible level the SBC got to tonight. The place was absolutely nuts.

However, the side of the arena facing the benches was pathetic. We had a wave going and NOONE on that side took part. Even the coyote called that side out. Even still when they were doing intros the SBC center was shaking. I was took some pics and even with my cameras auto steady feature on they were nasty as hell.

The SBC was oput of control tonight. To think other wise is just ignorant.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Just read the wave comments.

What the hell is wrong with the wave? Would you tools rather they just stand and yell wrecklessly for 48 minutes?

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2005, 02:48 AM

I haven't ever missed a playoff game at SBC Center (including tonight) and have missed very few regular season games.

Tonight in that building, it felt and sounded like December, not late June.

I guess I'm just ignorant, though. What the hell could I possibly know?

timvp
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Just read the wave comments.

What the hell is wrong with the wave? Would you tools rather they just stand and yell wrecklessly for 48 minutes?

Yeah because the wave has a point other than to occupy bored Spurs fans.

T Park
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Would you tools rather they just stand and yell wrecklessly for 48 minutes?

YES!!!

THe wave is the most pathetic thing ever invented in sports.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:51 AM
I guess I'm just ignorant, though. What the hell could I possibly know?

I dont know where you were sitting then pal but section 208 was going nuts all night. I yelled and stood the entire 4th.

Dont take offense to the "ignorant" comment. Just stirring the pot.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:52 AM
I dont know where you were sitting then pal but section 208 was going nuts all night. I yelled and stood the entire 4th.

Well this thread is moreso about the people in the lower level seats not cheering. Upper deck is always much louder.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:52 AM

Its freekin yelling? What the hell is the difference?

I swear to god. The Spurs lose and you guys start nit picking and bitching about namby pamby bullshit.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Well this thread is moreso about the people in the lower level seats not cheering. Upper deck is always much louder.

True. True. I cant really argue with that.

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2005, 02:54 AM

Pal, I yelled and stood all night tonight, just like I have for all 10 playoff games before this one and just like I will for all of Game 7. The people around me were yelling all night long.

The people below me, though, and the people behind me were weak tonight.

It's all about context. This was the biggest game in that building in 2 years. That crowd was disinterested and uninvolved for almost the entire evening.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Its freekin yelling? What the hell is the difference?

It's not really yelling. Most fans who do it just stand up and raise their arms. It would be good if most of them were actually yelling.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:56 AM
It's all about context. This was the biggest game in that building in 2 years. That crowd was disinterested and uninvolved for almost the entire evening.

Shit, kind of sounds like the Spurs. I guess I was just in a good section. The 4 guys in front of us were up and high fiving and chanting with us all game. The people behind us began to feed off us in the second half.

Like I said though, the other side of the arena was a f'n joke.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:56 AM

You are right. It was no where as close to as loud as during the 2003 Finals. During the 2003 Finals, LJ couldn't hear me if I was yelling in his ear as loud as I could. Tonight's crowd was no where close to that.

FromWayDowntown
06-22-2005, 02:57 AM
It's not really yelling. Most fans who do it just stand up and raise their arms. It would be good if most of them were actually yelling.

that, and it's yelling for a split second and then sitting down again -- it has no relationship to what's going on in the game and it discourages enthusiasm from the entire building, since people tend to sit on their asses, waiting for the next chance to jump up and shout for another split second.

texbumTHElife

Well yeah, what the fuck is the point of the wave if you're not yelling?

Sorry about the cussing. I am really burned up about this game though.

T Park
one word.

com place ent.

Too late Spurs fans.

Hope you enjoy Big Ben hoisting the trophy on thursday...

texbumTHElife
that, and it's yelling for a split second and then sitting down again -- it has no relationship to what's going on in the game and it discourages enthusiasm from the entire building, since people tend to sit on their asses, waiting for the next chance to jump up and shout for another split second.

The wave I took part in and saw was going on during a time out. I dont recall it continuing once the game started back up again.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 02:58 AM
one word.

com place ent.

Too late Spurs fans.

Bitch you jumped out the bandwagon already. Get a new fucking stigma!

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 02:59 AM
Too late Spurs fans.

I know you will enjoy it, TPark. You are to the point of nearly taunting Spurs fans at the thought of the Spurs losing (and you winning?). You are on the edge of being a troll.

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-22-2005, 03:00 AM
I know you will enjoy it, TPark. You are to the point of nearly taunting Spurs fans at the thought of the Spurs losing (and you winning?). You are on the edge of being a troll.

Ba-ba-ba-ba ban!

T Park
06-22-2005, 03:01 AM
I know you will enjoy it, TPark.

Yeah tonight was a real treat to watch.....

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 03:02 AM

This piece of shit was a troll while he was still "rooting" for the Spurs. If ever there was a fan not deserving of a team this would be it.

Kori Ellis
06-22-2005, 03:03 AM
Yeah tonight was a real treat to watch.....

Well you certainly are enjoying rubbing it in Spurs fans' faces. Why don't you just quit now? I have backed you up and repeatedly said that I want you to continue posting here. But your schtick is getting old. It's probably in your best interest to just lay low quietly. And then if the Spurs lose, you can bring your smug ass back in here.

T Park
06-22-2005, 03:12 AM
No problemo...

baseline bum
06-22-2005, 03:17 AM
I don't give a fuck if they're down 30. Get off your fucking ass and support the team that's been busting their asses for you for 104 games. Y'all are fucking insults to the old-school Spurs fans who cheered for 35 win teams but couldn't afford tickets when the team was finally able to land franchise-caliber players again.

A lot of you Spurs fans have no idea how special a championship is. You all take it for granted and act like we're winning the next 5 just because Tim, Manu, and Tony are all locked up long-term. I got news for all of you. You're not going to see game 6 of the Finals every year. Everything has to go right and everything is. This team's 1 fucking win from a title and you pussies act like it's a November game vs. Golden State. Punk ass bitches.

texbumTHElife
06-22-2005, 03:18 AM
baseline bum, any chance you can give the Spurs their "pep" talk before game 7? Whatever Pop is using aint working and what you just said was pretty f'n good.

lovespurs forever
06-22-2005, 03:50 AM
The fans look like so shy.

SoundTheToll
06-22-2005, 06:25 AM

We had the wave going around Comerica Park 6 times last Saturday. I think that was a record. Don't get me started on our baseball fans. I stand up to cheer when htere's 2 strikes and 2 outs and I'm the only one standing, looking like a jackass.

Anyway, watching the game on TV I saw one fan who was always jumping on his feet. He was in the front row, probably a 1/4 of the way down the court, from the left. The ref even had to say something to him b/c he was up and yelling at them the entire game. If I was there, that would be me. Up and screaming on every play.

And, the Palace usually isn't this loud. They are great for the finals, as loud as hell. But they/us (the fans) got really complacent. Never any crowd started-cheers or things like that during the regular season.

nkdlunch
06-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Fans better get their act together in game 7. somebody call the radios and tell these people what's at stake.

Sonia_TX
06-22-2005, 09:28 AM
OK anyone who wasnt at this game has absolutely NO clue.

I went to 7 playoff games last year and it was NEVER this loud. I went to 20 reg season games last year and it was never close. I have been to games in Houston and Dallas and their arenas never touch the decible level the SBC got to tonight. The place was absolutely nuts.

However, the side of the arena facing the benches was pathetic. We had a wave going and NOONE on that side took part. Even the coyote called that side out. Even still when they were doing intros the SBC center was shaking. I was took some pics and even with my cameras auto steady feature on they were nasty as hell.

I'm with you...I thought it was crazy last night...but then again this is the first championship game I've ever been to. I have had season tix for two years and last night was the loudest I've ever heard it. I couldn't even hear the ending of the national anthem because it was so loud. I guess...to each their own.

spurschick
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm with you...I thought it was crazy last night...but then again this is the first championship game I've ever been to. I have had season tix for two years and last night was the loudest I've ever heard it. I couldn't even hear the ending of the national anthem because it was so loud. I guess...to each their own.

I never said it wasn't loud. Plus, I'm sure it sounded a lot louder in certain sections. I simply described what it was like in the section I sat in.