PDA

View Full Version : Walmart doing dirty in Mexico

InRareForm
04-21-2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/business/at-wal-mart-in-mexico-a-bribe-inquiry-silenced.html?_r=1

boutons_deux
04-21-2012, 03:17 PM
yawn, corruption is how the the world turns, including USA

CosmicCowboy
04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Seriously WTF did you expect? When I heard they were going into Mexico I knew some folks got paid. You don't do anything big in Mexico without your mordita. US laws are really pretty naive about this and in many cases makes American companies uncompetitive.

boutons_deux
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Americans are pretty naive and confused.

They think America is free of systemic corruption. Wrong, check govt at any level, and any major corporation.

They think Human-American morality and ethics are applicable to an Corporate-Americans' behavior.

EVAY
04-23-2012, 07:15 PM
TBH, I think the law that prohibits bribing officials in every country is pretty naive in a global economy. In some countries like Mexico and some African nations, it is SOP. Our companies would be/are at a significant disadvantage to others from countries that are bit more realistic about the way things operate.

CosmicCowboy
04-23-2012, 07:52 PM
TBH, I think the law that prohibits bribing officials in every country is pretty naive in a global economy. In some countries like Mexico and some African nations, it is SOP. Our companies would be/are at a significant disadvantage to others from countries that are bit more realistic about the way things operate.

Airbus is a great example. They caught Boeing on international sales by bribing their way into them. Heck, until just a few years ago they were itemizing their bribes on their french taxes and deducting them.

EVAY
04-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Airbus is a great example. They caught Boeing on international sales by bribing their way into them. Heck, until just a few years ago they were itemizing their bribes on their french taxes and deducting them.

It is pretty much the 'When in Rome' thing, I think. I mean, if it isn't illegal in the country (or if it won't be prosecuted, which is more often the case) where they are operating, why should our government care?

Wild Cobra
04-24-2012, 02:30 AM

Could you imagine what people could dig up if US companies could use their bribes to politicians as itemized tax deductions Here?

boutons_deux
04-24-2012, 05:12 AM
"itemized tax deductions Here"

UCA $Ms to unregistered lobbyist "501(c) charity" ALEC are all tax deductible. Common Cause is suing ALEC on those grounds.

boutons_deux
04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Walmart Bribery Scandal Under Investigation By Department Of Justice Since 2011

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/24/walmart-bribery-scandal-u_n_1448521.html?view=print&comm_ref=false

cheguevara
04-24-2012, 09:31 AM
USA is corrupt at the top 1%. Mexico and other coutries are corrupt at the 100%

that's the main difference

boutons_deux
04-24-2012, 09:36 AM
but the 1% owns the 99%

Fabbs
04-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Americans are pretty naive and confused.

They think America is free of systemic corruption. Wrong, check govt at any level, and any major corporation.

They think Human-American morality and ethics are applicable to an Corporate-Americans' behavior.
check

Did you catch 60 Minutes expose of the Shearson Lehman scam? Which some think triggered the economic downturn in 2008. Facilitated by Earnst and Youngs corrupt accounting scams. All overseen by the SEC.

Barry is thusfar doing nothing to pursue charges, other then dog n pony phony appearances in front of Kongrass by the scammers.
In fact the show pointed out that should legal action be brought against the easily proven scam that the defense liars would simply state that the SEC paid offs oversaw the whole thing. :lmao