PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't the Spurs giving Duncan an extension?

rude1_79
04-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Just saw Magic Johnson hinting at Him seeing Duncan retire after this year, got me to thinking, why haven't they giving him an extension? Thx spurs peeps.

capek
04-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Just a junk commentator trying to find something to say to fill up time. Duncan has given no indication that there's even the slightest chance he'll retire after this season. The answer is that there's no reason to get it done earlier as opposed to later. I'd like to believe that the FO and Timmy will get together this offseason and coordinate his dollar figure with the moves the FO can make to bring in extra talent. But, while I don't have the numbers memorized, I think regardless of what he gets, we'll still be over the cap next season, so it wouldn't really make any difference. They'll get an extension ironed out this offseason, and I imagine he'll be playing for the Spurs for 2+ more years.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-21-2012, 10:21 PM
EVERYTHING Tim has said this year has him coming back for at least one more year if not a couple. Magic don't know shit.

admiralsnackbar
04-21-2012, 10:22 PM
What else does a homer say when his team got curb-stomped in stereo two weeks before the playoffs? :lol

therealtruth
04-21-2012, 10:53 PM
It's funny everybody was saying Tim was going to retire after this season before the lockout.

DMC
04-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Contrary to Isiah's belief, he does not have a magic johnson.

Mel_13
04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Duncan swears he has not spent one idle moment considering his future.

“That’s something I’ll think about after the season ends,” he said after a recent road game. “For now, I’m not worrying about anything except our next game. I don’t even have an agent.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/04/18/spurs%E2%80%99-past-future-collide-in-nexus-named-duncan/

TheSkeptic
04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Duncan swears he has not spent one idle moment considering his future.

“That’s something I’ll think about after the season ends,” he said after a recent road game. “For now, I’m not worrying about anything except our next game. I don’t even have an agent.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/04/18/spurs%E2%80%99-past-future-collide-in-nexus-named-duncan/

Does he really need an agent though?

sharkenleo
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM

Nope.

ElNono
04-21-2012, 11:27 PM
I heard SJAX has been getting Duncan to do hoodrat things, and Pops is NOT happy about it.

Don't know if it will affect a contract extension per se, but may hamper negotiations...

Is this supposed to be another "funny" post? smh

Mel_13
04-21-2012, 11:30 PM

Nope.

No matter how amicable the negotiations between Tim and the Spurs will be this summer, he will have representation.

The reason for posting the quote, however, was simply to answer the question posed in the thread title. Duncan hasn't been extended because neither he nor the team are ready to talk about one yet. If Tim Duncan wants to play beyond this season, the Spurs will pay him. There's no other possibility.

LkrFan
04-21-2012, 11:33 PM
I heard SJAX has been getting Duncan to do hoodrat things, and Pops is NOT happy about it.

Don't know if it will affect a contract extension per se, but may hamper negotiations...

:lol

The_Worlds_finest
04-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Winning it all I could see him signing a two year to go after a repeat, three peat, or one last bang his final year or if they lose retiring.

buttsR4rebounding
04-22-2012, 04:26 AM
I haven't read the new CBA, but I believe (and our local capologists please correct me if I am wrong), but when you sign an extension you have to base the salary off the old contract. You have certain percentages that you can go up or down, but the old contract is the base. Timmy will likely sign a contract in the $10 million range like Robinson did at the end. That would be over a 50% reduction and would required a new contract not sommething that could be done as an extension. It could also be that Tim is willing to sign a contract that makes the Spurs most competitive and that means the specific amount and structure will be determined by off season opportunites. No reason at all to lock in something now.

Buddy Holly
04-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Given

Sorry, had to.

FromWayDowntown
04-22-2012, 09:19 AM
It's really because Timmy is about to D-12 Popovich.

$pursDynasty
04-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Just a junk commentator trying to find something to say to fill up time. Duncan has given no indication that there's even the slightest chance he'll retire after this season. The answer is that there's no reason to get it done earlier as opposed to later. I'd like to believe that the FO and Timmy will get together this offseason and coordinate his dollar figure with the moves the FO can make to bring in extra talent. But, while I don't have the numbers memorized, I think regardless of what he gets, we'll still be over the cap next season, so it wouldn't really make any difference. They'll get an extension ironed out this offseason, and I imagine he'll be playing for the Spurs for 2+ more years.

That's the way I see it too Timmy won't try to break the bank, my wish is we win :lobt2:this year he'll sign for a decent number and then we talk KG into coming to the Spurs for three years and we rack up two more :lobt::lobt:in 3 years and Timmy heads out with 7 rings suck on that Kobe and MJ.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-22-2012, 02:58 PM
That's the way I see it too Timmy won't try to break the bank, my wish is we win :lobt2:this year he'll sign for a decent number and then we talk KG into coming to the Spurs for three years and we rack up two more :lobt::lobt:in 3 years and Timmy heads out with 7 rings suck on that Kobe and MJ.

KG will never come here. He and the other militant players are in the process of ousting Fisher as the player rep because of the lockout resolution that they were not happy with. Do you EVER envision him playing for an owner who told the players "You haven't suffered enough yet..." ? I don't. My guess is that there isn't one single owner that KG hates more in the NBA than Peter Holt.

$pursDynasty
04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
KG will never come here. He and the other militant players are in the process of ousting Fisher as the player rep because of the lockout resolution that they were not happy with. Do you EVER envision him playing for an owner who told the players "You haven't suffered enough yet..." ? I don't. My guess is that there isn't one single owner that KG hates more in the NBA than Peter Holt.

ah I was thinking strictly from a good fit stand point, didn't take off the court considerations into mind. It would be a great fit for both him and the team but if he is one of those militants as you say then I can see how that kills my scenario. Back to the lab to find another quality big to pair with Duncan for the next couple of years. Not dissing Splitter he is quality depth but someone to get us a couple of extra titles before Timmy retires.

Mal
04-22-2012, 04:38 PM
after this whole time spent together, they can sit and extend him in 15 minutes, anytime in offseason

capek
04-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Nope.

Right. He only had his lawyer work with him on his last contract, right?

Timmy has been quoted as saying that he'll play until the wheels fall off. If this season is any indication, we're a couple years away from seeing that happen. :toast

Wild Cobra Kai
04-22-2012, 05:01 PM
My guess is that the contract is already worked out monetarily, and there is some advantage to waiting or no disadvantage to doing so.

Mel_13
04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
My guess is that the contract is already worked out monetarily, and there is some advantage to waiting or no disadvantage to doing so.

Or Duncan's telling the truth and won't make a decision until after the season is over.

Spursfanfromafar
04-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Or Duncan's telling the truth and won't make a decision until after the season is over.

More likely the case. If the Spurs win or get close to the No 5, they will be in a better position to think about the future and so too will Duncan as regards his role in it.

007nites
04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Give him 2 years 20 mil.

007nites
04-22-2012, 09:43 PM

:lol

spectator
04-22-2012, 10:11 PM
do you guys think that timmy may strike a deal with the spurs so that he takes a huge pay cut only if the spurs can attract a marquee name in the off-season (e.g. eric gordon)?

i know that gordon would probably not come here, but say that is a given for conversational purposes. do you think timmy would be ok with 5 mil per. the spurs would be huge taxpayers next season, but iirc the contracts of manu and jax expire after that, giving the spurs more flexibility for the long term.

if i were duncan, i would take the cut.

Richie
04-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Give him 2 years 20 mil.

This would be perfect. £20m next year, vet minimum the year after

Wild Cobra Kai
04-22-2012, 10:50 PM
do you guys think that timmy may strike a deal with the spurs so that he takes a huge pay cut only if the spurs can attract a marquee name in the off-season (e.g. eric gordon)?

i know that gordon would probably not come here, but say that is a given for conversational purposes. do you think timmy would be ok with 5 mil per. the spurs would be huge taxpayers next season, but iirc the contracts of manu and jax expire after that, giving the spurs more flexibility for the long term.

Taking a pay cut from $20M a year to $10M a year isn't huge?

letmk
04-22-2012, 10:55 PM

It's possible that Tim wants to see if the Spurs can get a nice free agent pick before making decision, but Eric Gordon? Really?!

LonghornMike
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM

If the Celtics blow it up and KG is out looking for a team with a legit title shot and a veteran culture , where would he want to go besides SA? LA, Miami, Dallas, Chicago? I'd be scared to see where he falls, because he can still be a defensive force and provide some offense.

I know it's a little early to start thinking free agency, but now I'm intrigued. If Duncan takes a paycut, I can see them ditching Diaw's contract too and getting another long big that can spread the floor. Garnett tops my list, followed by Camby, Hibbert, Ryan Howard. I like the idea of these guys with size and a jumper that can guarantee that Blair stays at the bottom of the big-man rotation.

Richie
04-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Unless Duncan signs for the vet min, a paycut isn't going to make a difference because of SJax's contract. Hence why he signs to get 2 years worth of money (~$20m) all next season and signs for < $5m for 13-14. $25m over 2 years but we get a lot of cap sace to work with from 2013 onwards

Richie
04-23-2012, 01:06 AM
As for Garnett, maybe he resigns with Celtics for $20m/2years, they aren't competitive next season so blow it up, we trade SJax's expiring for Garnett so they have cap room to give Howard a max contract in 2013 Free Agency

Not likely.

007nites
04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
As for Garnett, maybe he resigns with Celtics for $20m/2years, they aren't competitive next season so blow it up, we trade SJax's expiring for Garnett so they have cap room to give Howard a max contract in 2013 Free Agency

Not likely.

Duncan and Garnett tandem could work.

Richie
04-23-2012, 03:19 AM

Absolutely, we would be amazing defensively with a frontcourt of Duncan/Garnett/Leonard, I say not likely because I just don't think it would happen.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Why would you want Eric Gordon?

Mal
04-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Nope it wont. Not this time. Having 74 years old frontcourt isnt good.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Garnett is DONE, oh, and he hates Peter Holt after the CBA negotiations. NOT going to happen.

szkorhetz
04-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Garnett is DONE, oh, and he hates Peter Holt after the CBA negotiations. NOT going to happen.
Garnett is done? WTF? have you seen him recently? He is playing amazingly effective.

Duncanonu
04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I hope they agree on a number for two years, for example 25 million. But instead of signing him for two years and splitting the money, sign him for 1 year at 21 million. Next year won't matter, we are over the cap anyway. Then after next year give him the remaining 4 mill, and be players in free agency as well. Of course this requires trust that Timmy will honor the gentleman's agreement, but I'm fine with that.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I hope they agree on a number for two years, for example 25 million. But instead of signing him for two years and splitting the money, sign him for 1 year at 21 million. Next year won't matter, we are over the cap anyway. Then after next year give him the remaining 4 mill, and be players in free agency as well. Of course this requires trust that Timmy will honor the gentleman's agreement, but I'm fine with that.

Well it would matter as they'll try to bring Lorbek or re-sign Diaw, re-sign Danny Green or find a replacement who'd have to be paid as well. If they're ever bringing De Colo too it's this summer. So, no, they can't afford to give him a 1 year 21 million contract.

$pursDynasty
04-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Is the militant member of the players association more important to him than possibly winning another ring. Now I haven't followed the Peter Holt/Garnett CBA issues, but I find it hard to believe that IF the Celtics are blown up Garnett would prefer to miss out on a chance on a run of two or three more championships to end his career just because he doesn't care for the GM. EVERYONE works under someone he doesn't necessarily care for but he is a vet player so his need for interaction with the GM isn't that necessary. The Celtics and Doc and the Spurs and Pop have a lot in common from a mindset standpoint, a standpoint that has served KG well. Would he prefer to join a Heat or Thunder team that flies in the face of the Pop/Doc mindset. When looking ahead to next year and what I think this team needs to make the most out of the end of TD's career, KG seemed like the best possible choice. I know it isn't likely but the fit seems to be good and I would doubt KG would be against it just because he didn't like how the Spurs GM approached the CBA negotiations. You can get over that, sort of like how nobody liked Bill Laimbeer EXCEPT the people that played on the team with Laimbeer.

$pursDynasty
04-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Just saw Magic Johnson hinting at Him seeing Duncan retire after this year, got me to thinking, why haven't they giving him an extension? Thx spurs peeps.
as for Magic I think it is just wishful thinking on his part. He wants Tim gone so he can maximize the number of :lobt2:'s his Lakers can get before Kobe hangs em up and the Lakers go thru another dormant phase.

Mel_13
04-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Is the militant member of the players association more important to him than possibly winning another ring. Now I haven't followed the Peter Holt/Garnett CBA issues, but I find it hard to believe that IF the Celtics are blown up Garnett would prefer to miss out on a chance on a run of two or three more championships to end his career just because he doesn't care for the GM. EVERYONE works under someone he doesn't necessarily care for but he is a vet player so his need for interaction with the GM isn't that necessary. The Celtics and Doc and the Spurs and Pop have a lot in common from a mindset standpoint, a standpoint that has served KG well. Would he prefer to join a Heat or Thunder team that flies in the face of the Pop/Doc mindset. When looking ahead to next year and what I think this team needs to make the most out of the end of TD's career, KG seemed like the best possible choice. I know it isn't likely but the fit seems to be good and I would doubt KG would be against it just because he didn't like how the Spurs GM approached the CBA negotiations. You can get over that, sort of like how nobody liked Bill Laimbeer EXCEPT the people that played on the team with Laimbeer.

1. Holt is the owner, not the GM.

2. If Garnett was going to chase a ring, then Chicago is the logical destination. He went to HS in Chicago and Tom Thibodeau was the defensive architect of the Garnett's championship team in Boston.

Richie
04-23-2012, 12:48 PM
1. Holt is the owner, not the GM.

2. If Garnett was going to chase a ring, then Chicago is the logical destination. He went to HS in Chicago and Tom Thibodeau was the defensive architect of the Garnett's championship team in Boston.

How would he get to Chicago though? They are way over the cap and so free agency is out, I don't see Chicago giving up Noah or Deng for him and dont think Boston would take Boozers massive contract if they want to rebuild.

The only scenario I see us getting him is if we trade SJax's expiring for him so Celtics can take a stab at Howard. They trade away Allen for a similar expiring and they open up enough cap space to give Howard the max and give Pierce another shot at a title with Rondo and Howard.

Mel_13
04-23-2012, 12:56 PM
How would he get to Chicago though? They are way over the cap and so free agency is out, I don't see Chicago giving up Noah or Deng for him and dont think Boston would take Boozers massive contract if they want to rebuild.

The only scenario I see us getting him is if we trade SJax's expiring for him so Celtics can take a stab at Howard. They trade away Allen for a similar expiring and they open up enough cap space to give Howard the max and give Pierce another shot at a title with Rondo and Howard.

The same way he'd get to SA in the fantasy post I quoted, by taking much less than market value for his services.

Garnett isn't coming to SA, it's ridiculous on several levels.

Your Sjax scenario is also pure fantasy. Why would Boston take back SJax to help KG get to SA via a S&T? Makes no sense.

Next year's Spurs will look much like the team we have now. Let's hope that they can keep Diaw or sign Lorbek.

Richie
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
The same way he'd get to SA in the fantasy post I quoted, by taking much less than market value for his services.

Garnett isn't coming to SA, it's ridiculous on several levels.

Your Sjax scenario is also pure fantasy. Why would Boston take back SJax to help KG get to SA via a S&T? Makes no sense.

Next year's Spurs will look much like the team we have now. Let's hope that they can keep Diaw or sign Lorbek.

Well the Celtics aren't going to get past Chicago or the Heat in the East with their ageing big 3 + Rondo, blowing it up and taking a run at Howard seems like the best move for them. I don't see anyone giving up any top level young talent for 36 year old Garnett and Allen in a trade so what options do they have other than free agency?

I agree the idea of us getting Garnett for SJax's expiring is far fetched, but if they were hypothetically trying to dump Garnett at next years trade deadline, is one contract not as good as the next?

The whole premise was based on the Celtics coming to the conclusion around the trade deadline next year that they can't win the title with their current roster and decide to trade the oldest pieces

Like I said originally, not at all likely I just like playing GM

Mel_13
04-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Well the Celtics aren't going to get past Chicago or the Heat in the East with their ageing big 3 + Rondo, blowing it up and taking a run at Howard seems like the best move for them. I don't see anyone giving up any top level young talent for 36 year old Garnett and Allen in a trade so what options do they have other than free agency?

I agree the idea of us getting Garnett for SJax's expiring is far fetched, but if they were hypothetically trying to dump Garnett at next years trade deadline, is one contract not as good as the next?

The whole premise was based on the Celtics coming to the conclusion around the trade deadline next year that they can't win the title with their current roster and decide to trade the oldest pieces

Like I said originally, not at all likely I just like playing GM

Garnett and Allen will be FAs this summer. They won't be on the Celtics at next year's trade deadline unless they are resigned this summer. The easiest way to create cap space is just to allow their contracts to expire.

Richie
04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Garnett and Allen will be FAs this summer. They won't be on the Celtics at next year's trade deadline unless they are resigned this summer. The easiest way to create cap space is just to allow their contracts to expire.

But why do that if they can resign them and then trade them for expirings + picks, i.e. SJax + a late first and/or a second? They are players who still have value to a contender, if the contender has the right expiring to make it work for the celtics

Plus resigning them at least gives you until the trade deadline to assess where Howard will be after his surgery and get an idea of where he will want to go in Free Agency, rather than go all in this summer.

Of course the other option is that they choose a similar deal as Duncan will hopefully get, give Garnett $20m next year and a low salary the year after on a gentlemans agreement and try to keep Garnett AND add Howard, although such a thing would be much riskier for the Celtics than it would be for Duncan and the Spurs

spursince#99
04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
It's really because Timmy is about to D-12 Popovich.

:lmao

Duncanonu
04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Well it would matter as they'll try to bring Lorbek or re-sign Diaw, re-sign Danny Green or find a replacement who'd have to be paid as well. If they're ever bringing De Colo too it's this summer. So, no, they can't afford to give him a 1 year 21 million contract.

Why would it matter? We are over the cap already. Re-signing players can be done either way. And as far as signing new talent or bringing over an overseas stashed player, all we have is the exception anyway. The only question would be going into luxury tax area. Or did some new wrinkle that I'm not aware of happen in the new cba?

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Nah, I highly doubt he would retire after this season. He hasn't made any indication or comments on it. Magic is just spewing out bullshit rumors.

Basketball Power
04-23-2012, 10:10 PM
He is not retiring with 10 million due to him

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Why would it matter? We are over the cap already. Re-signing players can be done either way. And as far as signing new talent or bringing over an overseas stashed player, all we have is the exception anyway. The only question would be going into luxury tax area. Or did some new wrinkle that I'm not aware of happen in the new cba?

Yup. Not happening.