PDA

View Full Version : anyone notice the palyoff excitment because of the shorter sked?

Galileo
04-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Since they cut it down to 66 games, the playoff scenarios are actually exciting this year, like in the NFL.

The NBA should permanently cut down to a 50 game schedule. This would allow a higher quality TV product with more revenue in regular season, and no games with stars rested. It would allow even more exciting playoff races where games meant something. With TV, the same number of games can televised even if the season has fewer games.

And the playoffs would be better with fewer stars, especially older stars worn down or out with injuries. Nothing sucks more than when a key player is injured for the playoffs.

In addition, it would be a lot easier for stars to go play in the Olympics or other international ball that brings in new fans with the 50-game schedule.

Finally, old marquee players with big names could add one or two more years to their careers with the lighter schedule, keeping their fan base.

Galileo speakus?

:ihit

PS

This plan entails 25 home games per season instead of 41. By the laws of supply and demand, gate revenues can be maintained as well because it is hard to sell tickets at high prices when you've got 41 games. With 25 games, tickets will be a hot commodity.

Galileo
04-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Teams need the games to maximize the potential ticket revenue especially with the rise of player salaries.

That is addressed in my post. You can raise ticket prices with fewer games because of higher demand. And TV revenue will go up with better quality & more important games.

The NFL has more revenue than the NBA, and they only play a 16 game schedule.

Basically, in the NFL, their regular season has a playoff atmosphere. The NBA regular season has an exhibition atmosphere.

m>s
04-22-2012, 09:53 AM
if seasons are cut to 50 games on regular they'd have to raise the tickets price & broadcast fees to keep their balance healthy, and as a result it'd make this game a prerogative for them rich bitches only :cry

NBA ain't just a game imho shit's more of a business these days and the faggots want to squeeze every penny possible out of it. players are being treated like slaves and that's why im always calling it a niggas game tbh

xellos88330
04-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Ticket prices would definitely be a hot commodity as you said, but the likelihood of an average income fan in small market like OKC, SA, Milwaukee, etc. the ticket prices would be too much for them to go to games regularly. Fewer trips to the arena = fewer merchandise and concessions revenue. As it stands, many teams have trouble filling their arenas as it is.

MattBonnerExperience
04-22-2012, 10:31 AM
This Is just normal playoff excitement the short schedual has nothing to do with this. Infact this year isn't even as exciting as years in the past. Keep the 82 game schedual.

vander
04-22-2012, 11:15 AM
I like the shorter season too

I'm sure if someone looked it up, they wouldn't find any teams that made the Finals after being "out of the playoffs" at the 66 game mark

also I like that the schedule is condensed, I like there being more games every day, 66 games in 125 days is about right. and if the schedule makers do their job properly, there shouldn't be any back-to-back-to-backs, and there shouldn't ever be two days off in between games either, most of each team's season should consist of games every other day

DMC
04-22-2012, 11:27 AM
It's all about the hope that LBJ will pan out this year. He's risen above Wade in the MVP race (they said he couldn't win an MVP in Miami alongside Wade) and his team is poised to repeat as EC champs. The East has been stacked just like a lot of people wanted it to be, with the "good" players falling on just a couple of big market teams (too bad NY isn't really competing).

I don't think there's much excitement coming from the West, unless it's from the misguided Lakers fans. Certainly the Spurs and Thunder aren't generating any wide spread excitement.

MR.SILVER&BLack
04-22-2012, 11:32 AM
just like beisbol, they need to cut down the number of teams, not necessarily games
this. 1 team from each division should be cut & make it a 24 team league.

DMC
04-22-2012, 11:34 AM
The NBA doesn't lose money just because teams are losing money. They still make their franchise fees, fines and such, and the shittiest teams pay a ton of fines to the league.

I don't see them downsizing their business just to make their product more exciting to fans of other teams.

Galileo
04-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Ticket prices would definitely be a hot commodity as you said, but the likelihood of an average income fan in small market like OKC, SA, Milwaukee, etc. the ticket prices would be too much for them to go to games regularly. Fewer trips to the arena = fewer merchandise and concessions revenue. As it stands, many teams have trouble filling their arenas as it is.

It would be a lot easier to fill an arena was 25 home games, rather than 41. College teams fill arenas with maybe 15 home games. High school teams fill arenas with 10 home games.

PS

and before you make fun of high school arenas because they have smaller gyms, remember that their are probably a million high school teams across the nation, more if you count girls basketball.

Galileo
04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
This Is just normal playoff excitement the short schedual has nothing to do with this. Infact this year isn't even as exciting as years in the past. Keep the 82 game schedual.

There is a higher probability of a close playoff race the shorter the season. That's why the NFL has so many crucial late season games with playoff implications. So does college basketball.

We need to pass this message on the David Stern so he can get on it. Or to Derrik Fisher so he might be able to save his job.

Galileo
04-22-2012, 11:49 AM
If anything the NBA should have learned how to.

[LIST=1]
market the teams vs the "super stars"

This is a good point. The NBA promotes gangsta rap type players and they wonder why they don't have the reach of college basketball or football? The NBA should be promoting teamwork, fundamentals and family values, like the Spurs and Tim Duncan the past 15 years. You could market this type of product to the boys and girls high school, the colleges, the grade schools and junior highs and parents of children in amateur athletics, or coaches. Tim Duncan could have been the biggest sports star in world history, the opportunity was blown by David Stern.

MattBonnerExperience
04-22-2012, 12:45 PM
There is a higher probability of a close playoff race the shorter the season. That's why the NFL has so many crucial late season games with playoff implications. So does college basketball.

We need to pass this message on the David Stern so he can get on it. Or to Derrik Fisher so he might be able to save his job.

I don't even care about the regular season, everybody knows the playoffs are what really matters. That's where players are defined and that's the real product, the more you put on the season the more it hurts to playoffs and do you really wanna make the playoffs worse?this years playoffs race are already bad why would you want more of it?

Venti Quattro
04-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Since they cut it down to 66 games, the playoff scenarios are actually exciting this year, like in the NFL.

Are you kidding? This season has been shit overall. Plus back to backs in the playoffs wtf?

Pelicans78
04-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm excited about the Hornets season being almost over due to the shorter season.

Galileo
04-22-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't even care about the regular season, everybody knows the playoffs are what really matters. That's where players are defined and that's the real product, the more you put on the season the more it hurts to playoffs and do you really wanna make the playoffs worse?this years playoffs race are already bad why would you want more of it?

U R making my point. In the NFL, regular season games get very high ratings, better than the NBA playoffs even. All because the NBA season is too long.

:bang