PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are the Andy Kaufman of Entertainment

spurs4real
04-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Spurs are the Andy Kaufman of Entertainment

Andy Kaufman was a genius let us begin there. He was the ultimate performer and engineer of his art. His stand up was dull but his punchlines were out of this world. He was all about the sneers, the boos, the walkouts and the "turn the channel this guy sucks" comedian. No one understood his personality and nobody really cared to pick his brain. Yet he made it to the big leagues as they say.

Andy was funny and he was hilarious. He lived to bore you to death with every bit of his spirit. Left us wondering, what exactly did we just witness? So we turned off the tv set and we went to bed but we couldn't deny that there was something out of the ordinary and very special about this person.

Eventually Andy had the last laugh. There has never been anyone to re-create his act. He was original and unmistakingly a genius.

And in come the Spurs who no one in the NBA network know what to do with them. They do things the way Andy did them. They write their own script. They ignore the negative feedback and east/west coast bias and laugh within. Yet they still do what they want to do and although it's the end of the regular season they have forced the network to pay attention and take notice just like every championship they've won.

Coach Pop is Andy Kaufman's personality, Tony Parker is Tony Clifton, Manu Ginobili is his creative writer and Tim Duncan is the silent punchlines that generate boos.

Although the Spurs have gone unnoticed until now, they have the mic and are writing the last bit of history to yet another championship run. Andy would be proud of such a feat that only he could appreciate.

Cane
04-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Would Richard Jefferson be Latka on Taxi?

bulakenyo
04-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Nah.

Andy Kaufman, I couldn't really dig so much.

The Spurs, though, you don't have to be artistic or high brow or ironic or anything like that, to appreciate.

They're just a well run team, good spacing, ball movement and passing, pretty solid fundamentals from player 1 to player 12, with main players (and supporting cast) that have no big egos and don't want drama.

Simple but effective.

Like a FIBA style, top level national basketball team, with just that extra professional flair to make it a bit more fun to watch.

spurs4real
04-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Don't get me wrong I love the Spurs it's just how the rest of the NBA perceives the Spurs

Obstructed_View
04-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Spurs are the Andy Kaufman of Entertainment

Andy Kaufman was a genius...

Yeah, stopped reading right there.

And :lol

bulakenyo
04-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Don't get me wrong I love the Spurs it's just how the rest of the NBA perceives the Spurs

I think most casual fans gravitate towards established big market teams (LAL, CHI, BOS, NYK) or All star stacked teams (MIA) or fresh young guys who get lots of dunks, alley oops and highlight plays. (LAC, OKC)

Any basketball fan who's even got a little bit of knowledge about how basketball should be played can appreciate the Spurs a lot, even if they are not their favorite team, and they only really hate them when the Spurs meet their team in the playoffs and they happen to lose.

703 Spurz
04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Why do so many people concern themselves about national perception? You'd think winning games trumps everything else.

KaiRMD1
04-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Most of the people who I know that hate the Spur cite the fact that they are boring, old and kill ratings. That's the sum of who hates on the Spurs pretty much. But Andy Kaufman, they are not.

GSH
04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
A thread that ties together the San Antonio Spurs and Andy Kaufman. Some random neurons firing there.

Mr. Body
04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Andy Kaufman had a scarce amount of talent he used to troll the entertainment world.

The Spurs have a ton of talent and exceptional dedication to greatness and who don't care enough of the world of sports-u-tainment to bother with it much.

The result may be the same -- the glitterati of ESPN and other sites hate having to deal with them -- but they come from vastly different places.

ohmwrecker
04-23-2012, 10:19 AM
While I do love my Spurs and I also agree that Andy Kaufman was a genius, this is a really terrible analogy.

Also, O_V is not qualified to judge anybody's comedic merit.

spurs4real
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Maybe my point was missed. I agree the Spurs have the talent and are great but everyone else in the league as far as fans are ignorant to the genius that is Pop and the Spurs IQ. And years later when the Spurs (these Spurs today) are no longer around will be talked about as being great and coached by a genius. Andy Kaufman if you remember didn't have that many supporters or followers but since he's been gone all the naysayers come out of the woodwork and talk about him as if they knew him all the while they never respected nor understood his act.

Isn't that what ignorant fans and the media do?

silverblk mystix
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I'd wait until the spurs actually win another title before blowing my wad...

just sayin'...

spurs4real
04-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I'd wait until the spurs actually win another title before blowing my wad...

just sayin'...

Spurs don't need to win another championship for this argument to be valid. They have cemented their legacy with what they have accomplished thus far as far as I'm concerned.

silverblk mystix
04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Spurs don't need to win another championship for this argument to be valid. They have cemented their legacy with what they have accomplished thus far as far as I'm concerned.

Well, yeah...I guess you are correct....

I am referring mostly to all the latest threads where everyone seems to think the Spurs are a lock...

I sure hope this great play of late results in a title...but I'd rather wait because the playoffs won't be a cakewalk and anything can still happen....IMO

Obstructed_View
04-23-2012, 04:25 PM
While I do love my Spurs and I also agree that Andy Kaufman was a genius, this is a really terrible analogy.

Also, O_V is not qualified to judge anybody's comedic merit.

Unlike you, I'm more than qualified to judge genius. Kaufman was not. He was, however, way before his time. He was the first Internet troll.

ohmwrecker
04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Unlike you, I'm more than qualified to judge genius. Kaufman was not. He was, however, way before his time. He was the first Internet troll.

I didn't say genius, I said comedic merit and you proved me right by responding without a trace of a sense of humor and abject butthurtedness when I was just teasing you a little bit, tbh.

btw, the debate over whether or not Andy Kaufman was a genius or not is entirely subjective. Therefore, neither one of us is right or wrong.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I didn't say genius, I said comedic merit and you proved me right by responding without a trace of a sense of humor and abject butthurtedness when I was just teasing you a little bit, tbh.

btw, the debate over whether or not Andy Kaufman was a genius or not is entirely subjective. Therefore, neither one of us is right or wrong.

So my response, which was exactly the same as yours, was abject butthurtedness but yours was comedic teasing? :lol

ohmwrecker
04-23-2012, 06:30 PM
So my response, which was exactly the same as yours, was abject butthurtedness but yours was comedic teasing? :lol

Yes.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Yes.

You need to remove the funny bone from your ass. :)

Bill_Brasky
04-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Andy Kaufman was a pretty original troll, whether you liked him or not. I'm not too sure he we aren't being trolled by his "death".

ohmwrecker
04-23-2012, 08:08 PM
You need to remove the funny bone from your ass. :)

Any pointers?

We are getting away from my original point though.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Any pointers?

We are getting away from my original point though.

That it's a terrible analogy? I agree. I think our back and forth has added way more entertainment value to this thread than it deserved. :toast