PDA

View Full Version : "dirty words" : Alabama's goverment is here to protect you from them

RandomGuy
04-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Alabama bans beer brand over dirty name on label

..BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — You can buy Fat Bastard wine in Alabama, but you'll have to go elsewhere for Dirty Bastard beer.

The state alcoholic beverage control agency said Thursday it has banned the sale of that brand of beer in the state because of the profanity on its label.

Beer and wine are commonly sold in grocery and convenience stores and anyone can see the labels, so staff members rejected the brand because parents may not want young people to see rough language on the shelves, said Bob Martin, an attorney with the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

"That's the whole reason for the rule, to keep dirty pictures and dirty words away from children," he said. "Personally, I believe the staff made the right call."

Workers at the agency consulted sources including the Federal Communications Commission and Wikipedia to develop a list of objectionable words that should not appear on product labels, Martin said, and the list includes "bastard."

The state allows the sale of Fat Bastard wine and also approved the sale of another brand of beer called Raging Bitch, Martin said, but both of those decisions were made years ago.

"I have no idea how or why or exactly when that went through," he said.

He said the agency considered revoking those earlier approvals when it denied the application for Dirty Bastard, but officials decided against such action.

The maker of Dirty Bastard, Grand Rapids, Mich.-based Founders Brewing Co., can appeal the decision to the agency's board, which meets next month. A company spokesman did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Alabama gained notice a few years ago for banning a wine brand that featured a nude nymph on its label. Its decision on the beer is opposed by Free The Hops, a group that advocates for new beer brands in Alabama.

More than one-third of Alabama's 67 counties still prohibit the sale of alcohol, and all but two counties in north Alabama are dry.

What kind of an adult talks like that? "I'm here to protect you from dirty words and dirty pictures, because I know what they are".

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to protect you from dirty words."

Really?

I didn't know my kids needed to be protected from the word "bastard" or from pictures of naked people on bottle labels. I tend to give them a bit of credit for being able to handle such things without falling over from shock.

boutons_deux
04-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Legislating ethics, morality, Christianity, puritanism is what "small govt, freedom-loving" Repugs love.

EVAY
04-23-2012, 11:29 AM
LOL @ Alabama disallowing Dirty Bastard but allowing Raging Bitch beer and Fat Bastard wine. At first I was going to suggest that the Fat Bastards and Raging Bitches were allowed due their representation in the population of the state, but then I reconsidered, because there are probably as many dirty bastards as there are fat ones.

Emerson noted that over reliance on consistency was the hobgoblin of small minds. He clearly had the intellectual giants of Alabama in mind when he said it.

Remember these are the folks who broke their own Waterford Football Championship Trophy and have to replace it at a cost of $30K.

George Gervin's Afro
04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
This is a sign of things to come with a GOP conservative majority in the WH and Congress...

scary stuff

baseline bum
04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
This kind of bullshit is why you couldn't find Double Bastard Ale in Texas until last year. It has the word masturbatory in the caption on the back of the bottle.

http://legalbeer.com/images/stone%20double%20bastard.jpg
incredible beer btw

Bill_Brasky
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Smaller govt!

Drachen
04-23-2012, 02:21 PM
They should outlaw budweiser and all of its affiliated beers since the company's name has "busch" in it. Obviously trying to skirt the law, but also obviously talking about a woman's pubic region. Protect my children from budweiser.

RandomGuy
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
This kind of bullshit is why you couldn't find Double Bastard Ale in Texas until last year. It has the word masturbatory in the caption on the back of the bottle.

http://legalbeer.com/images/stone%20double%20bastard.jpg
incredible beer btw

VbkB8kUknO8

FuzzyLumpkins
04-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd was wrong.

Wild Cobra
04-23-2012, 03:50 PM
They should outlaw budweiser and all of its affiliated beers since the company's name has "busch" in it. Obviously trying to skirt the law, but also obviously talking about a woman's pubic region. Protect my children from budweiser.
LOL...

Like I said, if people want to, they can find reason to be offended.

ChumpDumper
04-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't know about you guys, but reading beer and wine labels was not a thing when I was a kid.

Bartleby
04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
More than one-third of Alabama's 67 counties still prohibit the sale of alcohol, and all but two counties in north Alabama are dry.

:wow

boutons_deux
04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
"More than one-third of Alabama's 67 counties still prohibit the sale of alcohol, and all but two counties in north Alabama are dry."

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Controversies/1140551076.html

EVAY
04-23-2012, 07:19 PM
"More than one-third of Alabama's 67 counties still prohibit the sale of alcohol, and all but two counties in north Alabama are dry."

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Controversies/1140551076.html

I know. They just drive across the county/state border and buy it there. Sort of like Lubbock. There are like 57 liquor stores at the edge of Lubbock because Lubbock is dry.