PDA

View Full Version : Can the Spurs bring back everybody next year?

Hooks
04-23-2012, 07:06 PM
The Spurs will supposedly resign TD for around $10 mill. Green is a free agent, I have no idea how much the Spurs will have to offer him. I think they'll choose to resign Diaw instead of going after Lorbek, Diaw's a proven NBA player, fits the Spurs pefectly and is Pop's ideal Spur. The Spurs will most likely use MLE to resign him.

Anderson is a FA, I'm not sure about his future. The Spurs are loaded with guards, and Anderson isn't pleased about sitting on the bench. The Spurs could possibly resign him for even less or let him walk.

Blair is very cheap and is worth quite a bit more than his current contract, I don't see him being traded.

I don't want this team to lose any key guys, they're playing very well and guys like Green/Leonard are just going to keep getting even better.

IknowU
04-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Trade Bonner, Blair and Anderson

With that mula pay Neal, Green, Diaw, Jackson etc.

Then pick of bunch of potentials from Training Camp and turn them into solid players.

Rinse and Repeat

dunkman
04-23-2012, 07:32 PM
I think they could, Dice's contract expires and Duncan will probably re-sign at $10M less per year.

Lorbek is talented and quite big, at around $3M x 3 years he's a no-brainer.

Diaw, Neal and Green will want better contracts, probably around $3M x year. If another team doesn't make them better offers, the Spurs could re-sign them and add Lorbek.

Robz4000
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Neal is locked up next season, as is SJax. Only free agents that play meaningful minutes for the Spurs will be Timmy, Green, and Diaw.

slick'81
04-23-2012, 07:41 PM
anderson is gone dont know greens contract status and diaw will be tough for sure

dunkman
04-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Neal is locked up next season, as is SJax. Only free agents that play meaningful minutes for the Spurs will be Timmy, Green, and Diaw.

My bad, Neal signed a 3 years contract, this is his 2nd season.

Knoxxx
04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
The major goals would be bring back Timmy/Green/Diaw as mentioned. I think that the first two can be done using the two versions of bird rights, from what I have read on other threads. Diaw looks like a MLE candidate. I think that leaves us in pretty decent shape aside from the desired to bring over Lorbek. Pop comments made that sound likely, but not sure if that was before we were gifted Diaw.

Though the Spurs will only sit at about $50 million with a $60 million salary cap, from what I can gather the Horry "cap hold" of almost $7 million is in play here. That amount counts towards the hard cap of $60 million. Even worse, the Spurs have another 5 $850,000 contracts with cap hold for misc. players counting against the hard cap in a similar fashion.

Reading over on Sham Sports I see that at some point when below the salary cap, a team can renounce the players' rights, and clear lots of cap room. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, even signing Duncan to the veteran's minimum does not get the Spurs under the cap due to our $11 million + in cap holds.

Where that leaves us is using whatever kinds of exceptions we can employ or scrape together to resign our own players and a very limited amount and number of free agents. Basically a very bizarre and convoluted system much like the IRS tax code.

So while the math on the surface would suggest we have more options, that appears not to be the case. For example, the idea of taking the amnesty provision has been mentioned for Bonner. Certainly that would be attractive should he have another poor playoffs. Unfortunately there would be nothing gained, as swapping him out for Lorbek would not be an option.

So in a nutshell, with the unexpected arrival of Diaw, keeping all of the team's main players in tact seems entirely possible. It does not appear, however, that swapping out Blair for Lorbek would be possible next year. In which case having Blair back on the cheap may be an OK option.

Hopefully the FO will pull a rabbit out of their hat and find a way to get Lorbek added and Diaw back. Nobody on here with apparent knowledge of how all this works seems to think that can be done though.

007nites
04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I really hope we keep Green.

Knoxxx
04-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Even Shaq likes Green, he really is becoming a nice player for us.

BackHome
04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Players we have to sign:
1. Green
2. Diaw

I think that Green knows that he fits this team and maybe he will learn from SJ that money isn't everything. Also, I think Diaw has a good chance of staying because his boy Tony and him are pretty close. Now that Tony is single he can hang out and party with Tony so that's another plus....

Players to let go:
1. Anderson he wants playing time he will not get with current team. Plus we are going to bring over Adam Hanga next year who is a better player.

Potential trades:
1. Blair - he may not get us much so would need to be a good reason to do it.
2. Bonner - Last year of contract (If Amnesty won't get us any one then trade.)
3. SJ - Not saying to trade him but listen to teams his last year also.

Player I want:
1. Lobrek - He can play with Timmy and Splitter - And is way better then Blair and Bonner.
2. Backup PG - Not sure if Mills is that guy?

Richie
04-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Pretty sure we can't sign both Diaw and Lorbek

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
First, we should see how we perform in the playoffs this year before going into contract extensions.

TwelveGs210
04-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I know the FO is going to make Green an offer. He seems to be a pretty humble, down to earth guy, and I'm sure he will remember where he got his start.

Of course thats not gonna mean much if someone offers you a shit ton of money (he is going to get a lot of exposure in the playoffs), but I'm confident we will make a STRONG push to keep him in the Silver and Black.

angelbelow
04-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Duncan is going to get his 10 million, which leaves around 9 million to work with before hitting the luxury tax threshold of approximately 70 million.

I think Green is going to pass on his qualifying offer and field contract offers as a restricted free agent instead. I would expect the Spurs to match anything below 4 million/yr.

The 4-5 million left over should be spent on trying to keep Diaw. I like Lorbek but I think its too risky to go after him. There is no guarantee that Lorbek comes and Diaw looks like a great fit right now.

Anderson is almost guaranteed to walk away and join another team. If no one wants him, then signing him for the minimum could be a great steal. If the FO pulled that off, they would look like geniuses.

Neal and Jackson aren't free agents but both are going to be hungry for extensions, especially Jackson.

TD 21
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
It comes down to the playoffs, whether they retain Diaw or not. If he plays well, I'd be surprised if he's not re-signed. Green, I expect to be re-signed. Obviously, Duncan will be and Anderson won't be. That leaves Blair, who's signed through next season. I expect him to be traded at the draft for either a late 1st or an early 2nd and them to replace him with a young fifth big.

Lorbek's situation is up in the air. It would be extremely difficult to re-sign Diaw and sign Lorbek. But if Diaw plays well in the playoffs, I can't see them not prioritizing him. He makes more sense in the short term and even long term, there's only a two year difference in age and it's not like Lorbek projects to be in another league than Diaw, when he's at or near his best.

Basketball Power
04-23-2012, 10:02 PM
If we don't win the title it won't matter

Two10Whitey
04-23-2012, 10:04 PM
What about Patty Mills? Kid has plenty of potential.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
What about Patty Mills? Kid has plenty of potential.

Yeah, I'd love to see him with an off season with the Spurs development staff working with him. Guys who are both mercury quick and can rain three pointers don't grow on trees.

sasffl
04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Diaw may may get a bigger contract from other teams. I think the FA we need to resign are Timmy and Green. I hope Anderson can stay. But as he's still young, he may want playtime and leave San Antonio

Wild Cobra Kai
04-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Diaw may may get a bigger contract from other teams. I think the FA we need to resign are Timmy and Green. I hope Anderson can stay. But as he's still young, he may want playtime and leave San Antonio

Teams are realizing that Diaw is a completion piece, not a foundation. He'll get plenty of MLE offers, but likely nothing more, and why wouldn't he take our money instead of someone else's? He's the perfect MLE player, but if you over pay him, he'll never earn it. He's a follower, and a team mate, not someone you build around. Who's going to pay big money to a guy who's on the wrong side of 30 with a career scoring average of 9.5?

maverick1948
04-23-2012, 11:06 PM
The way I read this, Danny Green is a restricted free agent, I believe because of early bird rights. That means we can sign him regardless of the cap. Patty Mills will sign for non qualifying contract at 120 % of league minimum or about 1 mil and will not come from any exception. Anderson will be a free agent. His contract would depend on whether anyone makes him an offer we dont want to match. The other contract could included more playing time where here that would not be a given.

Diaw is the one contract I dont know what we will do. Will we be able to offer him enough for him to stay, knowing he will still be behind Duncan, Splitter and Bonner. What about other teams who need a Diaw type? Who will make him an offer? Lorbek and Richards can be signed for the MLE if Diaw is not signed. He has made the WCF only once in career. With the Spurs, he should get his first ring. What will he do? He will have made over 50 mil in his career. I would not be surprized to see him go to Europe should he not get much of an offer from some NBA team.

letmk
04-23-2012, 11:11 PM
It's way too early to worry about this. Because we're on a roll, everything is clicking, and championship is coming our way, etc.

But if we have another early exit, it would totally change people's view about how the team is structured. Then nobody would think that keeping the roster intact is a good idea.

elemento
04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
People here have to read Bruno's FAQ about the Spurs situation in terms of cap space for the next season. Some people here don't have a clue.

Danny.Zhu
04-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Diaw is the first priority.

100%duncan
04-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't want these guys next year: Blair, Anderson. They are just not a good fit.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-24-2012, 07:11 AM
I don't want these guys next year: Blair, Anderson. They are just not a good fit.

Tim is still going to need rest next year. At $1M, you keep Blair unless someone blows you away with a trade offer. He's too cheap a rotation/bench piece to just toss away.

Outlier
04-24-2012, 07:34 AM
lol @ people here year after year expecting roster overhauls...

SenorSpur
04-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Danny Green and Boris Diaw have been a perfect fit for what the Spurs have needed. They've been strong contributors on both ends of the floor. Green has done it all season. Meanwhile Diaw fell into the Spurs lap and has looked like he belongs from Day One. Pop absolutely loves how much better the Spurs are defensively with these two on the floor and both have proven so far to be key cogs on a championship contender. Based upon Pop's ongoing praise of both - and rightfully so - I'd have to think both players are a lock to be resigned.

Of course, the emergence of Green and Diaw doesn't bode well for the collective futures of both James Anderon and Dejuan Blair. Anderson has been relegated to an end-of-the-bench role since the beginning of the season and Blair has just recently been demoted to the team's 5th big. As the playoffs near, that move looks like a permaent switch and a good one at that. As such, both players days appear to be numbered and I fully expect both to be elsewhere next year. Anderson will get an offer, along with a chance for considerably more playing time, from another team. Blair, and his cheap, expiring contract at around 1 mil, will likely be used as a trade asset.

Assuming Blair is traded, I don't know what the team will do for a 5th big. I have no familiarity with Erzam Lorbek, but he certainly looks to be a possibility. Personally, I'd prefer the Spurs invest in a young, cheap player such as Jason Thompson or Solomon Jones . In fact, I would have no issue with them bringing back the likes of Ian Mahinmi or Anthony Tolliver to help shore up the frontline. Just so long as it's a player with considerably more size and athleticism, than they have now.

Resigning Duncan is a no-brainer, and quite possibly at a moderate salary of probably around 10 mil.

As for Patty Mills, I believe he's got a player option for next year, so I would expect to see him back next year.

therealtruth
04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
It's funny some people actually thought Turiaf might have been a better fit than Diaw.

JustinJDW
04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzyQxzMvZ-A

Not going to lie, I want Lorbek really bad. Guy looks great. Shoots just as good as Bonner, (which Pop will love), and has the size and length of Timmy and Splitter. I'd love him on this team, and he said back in 2011 that he's much more interested in coming to the NBA now that his rights got traded from Indiana to San Antonio.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/07/11/lorbek-reportedly-wants-to-join-spurs/

However, I think keeping Green and Diaw are much re-signs. Diaw fits so perfectly on this team that its not even funny. We have to keep him, and Green is basically the perfect starting 2 for Manu to come off the Bench. A+ 3-point shot and very versatile and quick on defense. Plays great with Tony and Leonard. Gotta keep these two guys.

James Anderson is as good as gone on this team. No minutes for him here, and he's not playing great at all. He's gone, and I'm pretty sure the organization is fine with that. I know I am. Who knows what will happen with Blair. I would be ok with him being traded, but only if we have a replacement 5th big. If we try to go a full season with just four bigs on the roster with one of them being Tim Duncan, and the other really being a combo forward, we're just asking for trouble. Lorbek would be awesome, but I don't know how we're supposed to sign Diaw and Lorbek.

In the end. R.C Budford has his job to do, and we can all just speculate. Its not even that time in the year yet. Right now, he's trying to see if the RJ trade and Diaw signing just won us another Championship.

:lobt2:

dylankerouac
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Exciting how we can have all key components next year with possibly better players.

If we're able to take it all this year I think Green, Diaw and Spurs can agree with a deal and try to go for a second. Having the rare opportunity to achieve a title can lead to even more riches and would be a worthwhile investment for the players. Plus they can get their pay days if the team decides to do a full rebuild.

BackHome
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I am done with the B&B twins...Blair and Bonner. I dont' care if we have to go over the luxury tax "I pay a shit load for season tickets" sign Green, Diaw, and Lobrek. Just freakin pay them!!! While at it trade CJ for a second round pick this year so we can sign a foreign player and stash em.