PDA

View Full Version : Destiny fulfilled

ro_50
04-23-2012, 08:55 PM
I rarely post on here but do frequent to see what other Spurs fans thoughts are about the team and etc.

I know there've been a few nostalgic sentiments from many longtime Spurs fans and how we all should appreciate what we've seen over the last 15 years and these days won't last forever.

I've been a Spurs fan since 1990 and while others have been fans for much longer, I am thankful I became a Spurs fan.

I use to be the one who would get pissed after a game if they lost or slam my hands on my keyboard (which I did during game 7 of the 2005 Finals when they went down by 8 or 9 in the third quarter against the Pistons).

We all share the same passion and others show it more discreetly than others and others more loudly than others. Nothing wrong with however you choose to cheer for this team, but I think it finally hit me two summers ago when I stroleld through one corner of the Naismith Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass.

The artifacts the Hall of Fame has is impressive albeit the presentation is lacking. But in this one corner, there were several glass montages that celebrated the best of the NBA has to offer.

In one was a picture of Bill Russell and Red Auerbach along with other Celtics pictures from that era. Another had Magic and his Lakers, another had Bird and his Celtics.

One had MJ and his Bulls; another Shaq and Kobe and their Laker teams.

And another one had a picture of Popovich and Duncan along with other Spurs images.

I realized then that this, to me at least, destiny fulfilled. I mean, they have a damn glass montage alongside freaking Bill Russell and those Celtic teams and MJ and Bulls teams.

I would love a fifth title this year but win or lose, to me, they've made it.

So as a Vanessa Williams song goes, "Sweetest Days", I am just enjoying this for as long as it continues. Sports wise, they have done more than I could ever imagine.

I am happy. WE are the fortunate ones.

Knoxxx
04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
There was a time, not so long ago, when many of us Spurs fans wondered if we would live to see a championship. Four of those later, we have gotten a bit greedy and spoiled. But we deserve it!

Thanks for the perspective on the greatness we have been witnessing, and reminder to enjoy every second.

sharkenleo
04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Agreed. This is a team for the ages. Spurs have been the winningest team in all of American sports in the past 15 years.

Let that sink in.

Obstructed_View
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Couldn't be happier to be a Spurs fan...

Unless they win number five this year.

DMC
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
I said this at the end of last season. I hope the team isn't as satisfied as I am, a ring would be unbelievable, hell a Finals appearance would be unbelievable, but regardless from here on out, I have no complaints.

timvp
04-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Well said, tbh.

... but I'm greedy so I want one last run with everyone healthy. Then I'll be satisfied. :smokin

Sean Cagney
04-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Well said, tbh.

... but I'm greedy so I want one last run with everyone healthy. Then I'll be satisfied. :smokin

TampaDude
04-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Agreed. This is a team for the ages. Spurs have been the winningest team in all of American sports in the past 15 years.

Let that sink in.

Yup...it's great to be a Spurs fan, isn't it? :hat