PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Clinch #1 Seed in the West

Dex
04-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I know this is old news to anybody who has been paying attention, but still....amazing achievement by this team. At the All-Star Break, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that the Thunder would be the top seed. However, Oklahoma City faltered just a bit, and the Spurs have been playing lights out basketball, having won 37 of their last 43 games (an astonishing .860 percentage over the last 2/3 of the season), leading the league in offense and playing respectable defense, and closing out the season in the same fashion that they closed out '99 (when they won 31 of their last 36 games for .861).

Even I've said a couple times this year that the Spurs wasted/lost a golden opportunity last season after Manu went down and they ran headlong into the buzz saw that was Memphis, but I really didn't think they would be able to repeat the same magic that gave them the top seed in the West year. One of the most gratifying helpings of crow I've ever had, tbh.

They have put themselves in an incredible position once again; now the focus must be primarily on taking advantage of it.

Rest and get healthy for the playoffs. Prepare for Utah or Phoenix. Get ready to pound that rock.

Believe.

Brazil
04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-31sf8g8CpJo/TaP0UQVeAjI/AAAAAAAABHo/Xqy-tSekY6c/s320/champagne.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-31sf8g8CpJo/TaP0UQVeAjI/AAAAAAAABHo/Xqy-tSekY6c/s1600/champagne.jpg)

DontStopBelieving
04-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Just setting themselves up for another first round exit.

Pocket Hippo
04-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Just setting themselves up for another first round exit.

Yeah because the Jazz or Suns are juggernauts, the sleeper teams of the West....

gilmor
04-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I know this is old news to anybody who has been paying attention, but still....amazing achievement by this team. At the All-Star Break, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that the Thunder would be the top seed. However, Oklahoma City faltered just a bit, and the Spurs have been playing lights out basketball, having won 37 of their last 43 games (an astonishing .860 percentage over the last 2/3 of the season), leading the league in offense and playing respectable defense, and closing out the season in the same fashion that they closed out '99 (when they won 31 of their last 36 games for .861).

Even I've said a couple times this year that the Spurs wasted/lost a golden opportunity last season after Manu went down and they ran headlong into the buzz saw that was Memphis, but I really didn't think they would be able to repeat the same magic that gave them the top seed in the West year. One of the most gratifying helpings of crow I've ever had, tbh.

They have put themselves in an incredible position once again; now the focus must be primarily on taking advantage of it.

Rest and get healthy for the playoffs. Prepare for Utah or Phoenix. Get ready to pound that rock.

Believe.

oh man.. I miss that term 'Pound the Rock'

timtonymanu
04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Awesome. I honestly didn't think the Spurs had it in them to be the #1 seed again and half of those wins were with DeJuan Blair and Richard Jefferson in the starting lineup. Who cares what happened last season? The Spurs are much more improved and should be killing it in the playoffs.

Now hope the Heat lose to the Celtics tomorrow and we can clinch a better record than one of the top 2 East teams.

timtonymanu
04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Awesome. I honestly didn't think the Spurs had it in them to be the #1 seed again and half of those wins were with DeJuan Blair and Richard Jefferson in the starting lineup. Who cares what happened last season? The Spurs are much more improved and should be killing it in the playoffs.

Now hope the Heat lose to the Celtics tomorrow and we can clinch a better record than one of the top 2 East teams.

benefactor
04-23-2012, 10:22 PM
:toast

rAm
04-23-2012, 10:29 PM
and still no mention of it on the front page or NBA page of ESPN.

Texas_Ranger
04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
lol Nets on ESPN.... I don't really care but c'mon man.

Pocket Hippo
04-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Yahoo sports has a headline about it, of course it is a secondary headline next to the Artest story but hey, as a Spurs fan that is all you can hope for lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba

benefactor
04-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Why are all of you so butthurt that ESPN pays no attention to the Spurs?

SA210
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Yahoo sports has a headline about it, of course it is a secondary headline next to the Artest story but hey, as a Spurs fan that is all you can hope for lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba

Its not even on ESPN :rollin

Legacy
04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
I didn't even giva' damn if they got #1 this year, obviously, because of last year's demons. ... But I believe I'm pretty much getting over that day by day as we continue to move full speed ahead (prayerfully). Just keeping my fingers crossed for the near future right now-- playing to win, health, rest, rhythm, the usual. Not... going... to... celebrate... too... early... this time. HAWT DAMN!! That is ssooo hard to do, though. Gah. :toast

:flag:

Spursfan092120
04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Why are all of you so butthurt that ESPN pays no attention to the Spurs?

I think it's gotten to the point where it doesn't bother them as much as it makes them laugh.

100%duncan
04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Believe

Spursfan092120
04-23-2012, 11:34 PM
and still no mention of it on the front page or NBA page of ESPN.

http://www.nba.com/

mkurts
04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Time to take back the trophy.

Spur|n|Austin
04-23-2012, 11:49 PM
:flag:

Poolboy5623
04-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Still would be nice to finish ahead of mia..just in case..anyone that says they would rather have the lower seed and middle games in the finals(terrible format) at home is crazy. .most finals series go 6-7 and you want those games at home! Nonetheless its great having the #1 seed again!

TDomination
04-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I still can't believe this season so far.

Wow, I always hoped for the best but when this season started, I seriously felt like we were just a team that would fight just to make the playoffs.

Sean Cagney
04-24-2012, 12:19 AM
I still can't believe this season so far.

Wow, I always hoped for the best but when this season started, I seriously felt like we were just a team that would fight just to make the playoffs.

At the beginning of the year I called the Spurs a 5th SEED PLUS! I thought they would win maybe 40 games (Some I know thought that too) and then battle for a first round win! This is more than I asked for, but seriously now that it has happened get it... Go out there SPURS and DO IT.

housious
04-24-2012, 12:27 AM
We have no chance against PHX or Utah. Just hand them the trophy now.

lulz

This team is playing some of the best basketball in NBA history right now. All we can hope for is to stay healthy.

crc21209
04-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Amazing that they were able to pull this off for a 2nd year in a row. :tu Now let's keep this going in the Playoffs :flag:

therealtruth
04-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Too bad Dice didn't get to be a part of this. I felt the Spurs had the talent to win it all last year and still do.

crc21209
04-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Interesting tweet from McDonald:

JMcDonald_SAEN
Since Tim Duncan's arrival in 97-98, Spurs have posted .701 winning percentage (828-352). It is the winningest 15-year span in NBA history.
8 seconds ago

I'm damn proud to be a Spurs fan...:tu

Legacy
04-24-2012, 12:53 AM
:worthy:

Had to post it, sorry. Can't wait to see this year's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjIuNsdiYXc&context=C4a46459ADvjVQa1PpcFNPuUgKGCsdvHkToylmL02J 8-ddELbMT9I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjIuNsdiYXc&context=C4a46459ADvjVQa1PpcFNPuUgKGCsdvHkToylmL02J 8-ddELbMT9I)

:worthy: