PDA

View Full Version : First Round Opponent: Utah Jazz or Phoenix Suns

Uriel
04-23-2012, 10:21 PM
At the time of this posting, the Jazz have a record of 34 - 30 while the Suns have a record of 33 - 31. Phoenix currently owns a 2 - 0 season series lead over the Jazz, which means they will have the tiebreaker, should the two teams finish with identical records.

So what does this mean for the Spurs? Tomorrow's PHX @ UTA game will have significant implications for who our first round opponent will be. If the Jazz win, they will clinch the 8th seed and become our first round opponent. But if they don't? Here's where it gets interesting.

If the Suns win tomorrow's game, they will usurp Utah for the final playoff spot in the West, pending their final game against San Antonio. Since this is the case, the Spurs' coaching staff will have a very interesting choice to make. They can effectively "choose" which team they'd rather play in the first round, either by tanking the game against Phoenix, or choosing to go all out and win it. If they lose, they get the Suns, and conversely, they get the Jazz if they win, assuming the Jazz beat the Blazers in their finale.

It should be really interesting to watch how these final few days of the regular season play out.

VBM
04-23-2012, 10:26 PM
I want Utah. Nash is still dangerous, and Gentry is a better coach than Corbin, imo. Spurs should win either series, but I could see Phoenix taking a series to 6 games.

TD 21
04-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I'll say Suns, only because the Jazz are more physical and have the third best starting big duo in the league. But their duo doesn't have nearly the size of the Lakers or even Grizzlies. In all honesty though, I don't really care. The best that can be hoped for by either of those teams is to extend the series to five and to avoid being blown out more than twice.

lurker23
04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
FYI, on the unlikely chance that the Nuggets lose their last two games (they would have to lose their final game to Minnesota), and the Jazz win their last two games, then Denver would be the 8th seed.

angelbelow
04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Its a win-win situation but I'd prefer the Jazz.

-They lack depth at every position.
-Devin Harris won't make clutch three pointers
-No consistent scorer outside of big Al.
-No defensive aces
-No consistent 3 point threat.

100%duncan
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
I'll say suns. Now that we have number 1 seed locked up we can play our bench and lets see what happens in the suns and utah game

DesignatedT
04-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Dont matter but I'm guessing the Jazz take care of biz at home tom and then our game vs phx is meaningless.

Arcadian
04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
It's an interesting scenario, and while I would prefer to face Phoenix over Utah, there's just no way the Spurs will "tank" a game. They don't have that mentality. Even if all of the big 3 sit out, the rest of our guys will still play balls-out to win...and they probably will. Right now, the Spurs reserves could beat most NBA starters.

When you consider that Utah still has another game after that, the Spurs can't directly determine anything. So we can't worry about that. The focus has to be on staying healthy and continuing to play elite basketball.

Mr. Body
04-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Phoenix, I think. Sorta. Utah would possibly bang them up more.

But the Spurs have shit over the Suns for so long, I don't think it's fair to do it again.

Arcadian
04-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Phoenix, I think. Sorta. Utah would possibly bang them up more.

But the Spurs have shit over the Suns for so long, I don't think it's fair to do it again.

But they swept us in 2010! We need revenge on that.

Keepin' it real
04-23-2012, 11:08 PM
PHX = sweep.
Utah = 4-1

I'd take PHX and the extra game off.

Spursfanfromafar
04-23-2012, 11:13 PM
I think the Spurs sweep them both in the current form they are in.

Prefer the Jazz, as their team is largely composed of guys with little or no playoff experience.

therealtruth
04-24-2012, 12:29 AM
But they swept us in 2010! We need revenge on that.

There's no getting revenge for that sweep. Stoudemire is in NY now.

I think the Spurs sweep them both in the current form they are in.

Prefer the Jazz, as their team is largely composed of guys with little or no playoff experience.

I'm not sure about wanting the Jazz. Those guys don't say quit ever.

100%duncan
04-24-2012, 12:32 AM
We can sweep both but we gotta repay the skunker

Uriel
04-24-2012, 12:32 AM
I'll say Suns, only because the Jazz are more physical and have the third best starting big duo in the league. But their duo doesn't have nearly the size of the Lakers or even Grizzlies. In all honesty though, I don't really care. The best that can be hoped for by either of those teams is to extend the series to five and to avoid being blown out more than twice.

This. Plus, Utah's crowd can get a little rowdy.

That said, the Spurs should be able to win their first round series in 5 games regardless of who it is, and I'd honestly find a Spurs - Suns series more entertaining than a Spurs - Jazz one, mostly because of the rivalry.

FYI, on the unlikely chance that the Nuggets lose their last two games (they would have to lose their final game to Minnesota), and the Jazz win their last two games, then Denver would be the 8th seed.

Not gonna happen. :lol

-No defensive aces

Yeah, but it isn't difficult to come up with a laundry list of problems the Suns possess as well, and then proclaim them the better match-up. Besides, Utah's frontcourt depth is pretty good (Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors are their backups), and Devin Harris did go off against us towards the end of our last meeting.

angelbelow
04-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Yeah, but it isn't difficult to come up with a laundry list of problems the Suns possess as well, and then proclaim them the better match-up. Besides, Utah's frontcourt depth is pretty good (Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors are their backups), and Devin Harris did go off against us towards the end of our last meeting.

I agree with you, I think its a win-win situation and that you can make good arguments either way. I would be happy with either opponent.

But to play devils advocate:
-Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter are both young and have no playoff experience. They both have loads of potential but neither has been dominant with their playing time this season.
-Devin Harris went off against us from the 3point line. I doubt that happens again because he's streaky shooter and has never been consistent from beyond the arc.
-Jazz have no leadership and no one with anything resembling playoff experience.. well besides Raja Bell.
-They don't have the outside shooting to compound Al Jefferson's post play.

deL!
04-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Want Suns so I can see a few games here in Phoenix lol

crc21209
04-24-2012, 12:51 AM
I would say Phoenix, just because the Jazz are a more physical team than the Suns overall. Plus they have a better post game with Millsap and Jefferson inside...

Robz4000
04-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Someone brought up a point in another thread about the Spurs possibly playing Denver in the first round. If Denver ends up tied with the Jazz (both have 2 games left and the Nuggets are only 2 games up) the Jazz own the tiebreaker and would be the 7th seed.

Beaverfuzz
04-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Who cares, line them up and beat them all.

Jumi
04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I would prefer we play the Jazz. I would like for Splitter to get more experience against physical bigs to prepare for the later rounds. Our overall team is capable of handling the Jazz so I wouldn't like for Splitter to play against the Suns. They aren't as physical as say, Memphis or LA and that's when Splitter will be needed most. The crowd in Utah is amazing and they have a great home record so it'll be great for the younger guys to know what to expect past the first round.

Green is used to the bright lights so I don't worry as much about him. North Carolina is a great proving ground for younger players to understand what "big" games are about. I'm not sure about Leonard, but he doesn't look like he fazes easily. I would just prefer the tougher matchup to get the other guys focused.

sa_butta
04-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Don't really matter, and even though the big three will likely sit out the last two I think we still have to try to win the last two to keep the momentum. I don't think there should be any tanking of the last game regardless of the scenario. Either matchup should be favorable to us in round one.

dylankerouac
04-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I would probably lean on the Suns though I won't get excited until we beat whoever we meet in the first round.

mudyez
04-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd prefer PHO, but wouldnt tank to get them (oh yeah...we should sit the big3 anyway, but we can beat them witout them).

but UTA will take care of them today!

T Park
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Spurs struggle against good three point shooting teams.

I vote Utah. Plus their depth sucks.

Their front line being tough rugged and the building being tough reminds me of the Nuggets of 03-08. Good prepare er for the playoffs.

Legacy
04-24-2012, 12:05 PM
At first I wanted Utah, but now I'm really starting to crave Phoenix. I'm luvin' all The Suns Hate on the boards. I think I might jump on this tasty bandwagon. :lol

ace3g
04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Marc J. Spears
Also In All Sports

Utah Jazz forward Josh Howard will return tonight from a knee injury in big game against the Phoenix Suns. Howard has averaged 8.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 23.4 minutes in 41 games with the Jazz this season. He underwent surgery on March 22 in New York City to clean up a chip in the lateral femoral cartilage of his left knee.

Robz4000
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Thought Howard was out for the rest of the season?

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't want the Spurs to be pressured into having to play all their players in the last game of the year, especially against Phoenix. I've watched Florida State miss field goals against Miami long enoungh to know that it's just tempting fate.

spursince#99
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
i just want to get them back bad for their "skunker".

+1

spursince#99
04-24-2012, 01:49 PM
I wanted PHO because of the sweep but now I don't know. I kind of want Utah now because it'd be interesting. Besides, I want to see the overrated Hayward kid blow games and stink it up :lol

dylankerouac
04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Any ideas if we will play on Saturday or Sunday and what day the second game may fall on?

mando6599
04-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Utah.

If they win tonight, which they should since they're in SLC, that would put it out of reach and then we could go ahead and win our 49th and 50th games with our reserves. Not that Pop would play the Big 3 big minutes, but that way I'd like to keep our 50 game streak alive without the worry of injuries. It's just like a playoff game for PHX tonight and I don't think they pull off the W. Just my thoughts.

mando

objective
04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Utah would be bad news.

in no particular order:

1. They are physical and will beat the Spurs up and increase the risk for injuries going forward. They foul in the regular season more than anyone except Toronto and in the playoffs the refs will just allow them to get away with more.

2. They play hard and won't quit. Corbin has that team giving full effort. Phoenix on the other hand have a lot of quit in them. But the Jazz will give everything they've got.

3. Al Jefferson is a poor man's Zach Randolph. He can get his shot on the block. Nobody for PHX can do that in the frontcourt.

4. Derrick Favors is becoming a defensive beast that has the Jazz people raving. He's big and alters shots but is quick enough to move on the pick and roll and to give help to Jefferson's bad defense.

5. Gordon Hayward has been blossoming into an incredible player. His end of year April numbers in the playoff push have been incredible: 11 games, 17.7 points on 52.5% shooting (*and 52.4 from 3 !!!!) to go with 4 boards and 3.5 assists. He has become incredibly efficient, he's nailing jumpers off screens, knocking down threes, and he's great at the free throw line. Throw in to all of that how he's a really good defender, and that's bad.

6. Devin Harris has Turned it On. People don't realize just what kind of month he's had. This isn't February Devin Harris guys. For April he's scoring 18 a game and shooting 43% from 3. He's worked himself into shape and become one of the leaders of the team, and just playing very well.

7. The Jazz home crowd. Was it a big deal in 07? No. But compared to the lifeless, Sarver-hating somber crowd in PHX, it can affect the way the refs call games in Utah.

8. The Jazz big line-up of Jefferson-Favors-Milsap in the frontcourt. Milsap at the SF has caused teams problems of late. The sample size isn't gigantic against good competition (only 2 full games I think, and a big chunk against Orlando's torn up front line), but the differential between what that lineup allows and what it scores is worrisome. The Spurs have guys like Jackson and Leonard and even Diaw at SF against Milsap so I don't think it would be all that devastating but it's more worrisome than what PHX can offer.

9. PHX is just done. They're banged up, they're old, they can be made to quit, and their home crowd is easy to snuff the excitement out of. They have no match-ups to truly hurt the Spurs other than the Spurs just giving the Suns the Nash-Gortat pick and roll and handling the rest. Even Channing Frye, the Bonner Kryptonite, messed his shoulder up and probably won't be able to double up and humiliate Bonner like last time. And without Dragic off the bench, the Suns compared to the Jazz should be a breeze.

dylankerouac
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Utah would be bad news...

Then I guess it just depends on who wants it more between the Suns and Utah. This may be tough yet again. :flag:

eric365
04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm so glad the playoffs are coming

It may sound like a spoiled fan but I'm tired of the blowout every game. We haven't seen an interresting 4th quarter in a looooong time

Girasuck
04-24-2012, 03:42 PM

WRONG. We finally have depth in the frontcourt, and our backcourt has been fantastic since the all-star break. We're young, but we have depth.

WRONG. I guess you haven't watched any Jazz games over the past two months. Devin Harris is the reason why we're fighting for a playoff spot, in part to his clutch play in 4th quarters and overtimes.

WRONG. Since the all-star break, Hayward and Harris have been a consistent 2/3 scoring option.

-No defensive aces

WRONG. The lineup of Jefferson, Favors, and Millsap at the 3 has been the 2nd best frontcourt defensive trio this season.

The only point you're correct on.

I'm not gonna sit here and try to blow smoke up everyone's ass by saying the Jazz have a shot at winning a series against the mighty Spurs, but by god I'm not gonna sit here and read this untrue shit. Do me a favor and actually watch some games before you spout this fucking crap.

VBM
04-24-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not gonna sit here and try to blow smoke up everyone's ass by saying the Jazz have a shot at winning a series against the mighty Spurs, but by god I'm not gonna sit here and read this untrue shit. Do me a favor and actually watch some games before you spout this fucking crap.

I think most of us are looking at that game where Duncan/Parker/Ginobili sat and it took a Devin Harris free throw parade in the 4th quarter to beat SA. Utah won't be a pushover though.

Girasuck
04-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Utah would be bad news.

in no particular order:

1. They are physical and will beat the Spurs up and increase the risk for injuries going forward. They foul in the regular season more than anyone except Toronto and in the playoffs the refs will just allow them to get away with more.

2. They play hard and won't quit. Corbin has that team giving full effort. Phoenix on the other hand have a lot of quit in them. But the Jazz will give everything they've got.

3. Al Jefferson is a poor man's Zach Randolph. He can get his shot on the block. Nobody for PHX can do that in the frontcourt.

4. Derrick Favors is becoming a defensive beast that has the Jazz people raving. He's big and alters shots but is quick enough to move on the pick and roll and to give help to Jefferson's bad defense.

5. Gordon Hayward has been blossoming into an incredible player. His end of year April numbers in the playoff push have been incredible: 11 games, 17.7 points on 52.5% shooting (*and 52.4 from 3 !!!!) to go with 4 boards and 3.5 assists. He has become incredibly efficient, he's nailing jumpers off screens, knocking down threes, and he's great at the free throw line. Throw in to all of that how he's a really good defender, and that's bad.

6. Devin Harris has Turned it On. People don't realize just what kind of month he's had. This isn't February Devin Harris guys. For April he's scoring 18 a game and shooting 43% from 3. He's worked himself into shape and become one of the leaders of the team, and just playing very well.

7. The Jazz home crowd. Was it a big deal in 07? No. But compared to the lifeless, Sarver-hating somber crowd in PHX, it can affect the way the refs call games in Utah.

8. The Jazz big line-up of Jefferson-Favors-Milsap in the frontcourt. Milsap at the SF has caused teams problems of late. The sample size isn't gigantic against good competition (only 2 full games I think, and a big chunk against Orlando's torn up front line), but the differential between what that lineup allows and what it scores is worrisome. The Spurs have guys like Jackson and Leonard and even Diaw at SF against Milsap so I don't think it would be all that devastating but it's more worrisome than what PHX can offer.

9. PHX is just done. They're banged up, they're old, they can be made to quit, and their home crowd is easy to snuff the excitement out of. They have no match-ups to truly hurt the Spurs other than the Spurs just giving the Suns the Nash-Gortat pick and roll and handling the rest. Even Channing Frye, the Bonner Kryptonite, messed his shoulder up and probably won't be able to double up and humiliate Bonner like last time. And without Dragic off the bench, the Suns compared to the Jazz should be a breeze.

See...this guy actually watches games. Pretty much spot on with every point.

Girasuck
04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
I think most of us are looking at that game where Duncan/Parker/Ginobili sat and it took a Devin Harris free throw parade in the 4th quarter to beat SA. Utah won't be a pushover though.

Yeah, I was at that game and saw how lifeless we were until Harris pulled one out of his ass at the end. I know the Spurs will beat us, and we'll be lucky to win one game, but it bothers me when so-called educated fans (which I feel Spurs fans are) put untrue labels on my team, especially without watching any of the games.

Dr Cox
04-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Solid posts Girasuck.

We (spurs fans) are just really excited right now, for obvious reasons.

angelbelow
04-24-2012, 04:27 PM

Obviously you know your team better than I do. But what are your corrections relative to? Against sub .500 teams their front line looks great and Devin Harris looks "clutch." Against the Spurs, Lakers, Thunder, and Grizzles you really believe that you guys have depth at every position?

Hayward is playing well, I wasn't aware of that. But you're confident with him as your 2/3 option?

Maybe you took offense because I made general statements but I'm comparing the Jazz and the Suns and how they would match up with the Spurs. I think the Jazz are slightly worse than the Suns and would rather face them.

z0sa
04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Utah would be bad news.

in no particular order:

Quality post. +1

Long story short, Jazz probably take it 6 and the Spurs get beat up in the first round, something no Spurs fan should want; OTOH, Suns probably get swept and Spurs' bench averages 40% of the PT with much less grinding in the paint.

DBMethos
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Give me Phoenix.

Manu-20
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
People on here saying jazz push this to 6 are nuts I would be suprise if they win one game with the way the spurs are playing heading into the playoffs.

Uriel
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Suns - Jazz game is about to start.

Manu-20
04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
alright jazz end the suns playoff push today so they have nothing to play for tommorow

CGD
04-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Hopefully this game is better than that Heat-Celtic piece of crap that was on earlier... jeesh.

VBM
04-24-2012, 09:48 PM
alright jazz end the suns playoff push today so they have nothing to play for tommorow

Of course if Phoenix wins, both they and Utah have to go all out for one more game while the Spurs rest.

Uriel
04-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Why is there barely any background music in Utah's arena?

timtonymanu
04-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Exciting game to look out for. I hope both teams tire each other out.

Keepin' it real
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Jefferson, Millsap and Harris. That's scarier than anything the Suns can throw at the Spurs. Would be a good taste of karma if Utah gets in thanks to the Spurs tanking the game at Utah a few weeks ago, and then Utah extends the series to 6 or 7 games. Because I can't see how Spurs vs. Suns would be anything but a sweep.

Richie
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
If Utah make the playoffs does anyone think we could trade up to thier 15th pick for a big? Thier frontcourt is set with milisap, Jefferson, favors and kanter, they need a backcourt piece like Neal and this draft doesn't have any great backcourt options at that point

CGD
04-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I'll take the injured Suns. Plus I know I shouldn't care, but I can't help but feel we owe it to the Suns to sit our guys tomorrow since we gave the Jazz a bunny at the end of the Rodeo trip.

lurker23
04-24-2012, 10:33 PM
If Utah make the playoffs does anyone think we could trade up to thier 15th pick for a big? Thier frontcourt is set with milisap, Jefferson, favors and kanter, they need a backcourt piece like Neal and this draft doesn't have any great backcourt options at that point

Utah's own pick is owed to Minnesota if they're not in the lottery. However, they will have Golden State's pick if it's not in the top 7.

Mugen
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Going against Jefferson/Milsap/Favors/Kanter would do this team wonders in getting ready for Memphis in the 2nd round.

Bring on the Mormons.

Brazil
04-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I think we could eliminate the suns with big 3 playing less than 15 mn a game

Richie
04-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Utah's own pick is owed to Minnesota if they're not in the lottery. However, they will have Golden State's pick if it's not in the top 7.

Well nbadraft currently has Utah taking Kendall Marshall at 8 as a point guard, which makes sense for them. Still, around the 14th pick (assuming they don't make the playoffs) its mainly centers and power forwards who the jazz don't need so maybe they still might see value in taking Neal for that pick.

Of course with the acquisition of Diaw, is Neal perhaps more important to us than a new big?
Edit: got my numbers confused

housious
04-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Fuck both those teams, clown.

VBM
04-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Game ova

Mr. Body
04-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Must kill to be Steve Nash. His team kind of sucks. They're only close to the playoffs because of him, and they're still not good enough.

Dex
04-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Bring on the Jazz.

ducks
04-25-2012, 12:05 AM
suns would be smart to get lottery pick
suns would get swepted in playoffs

timtonymanu
04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Assuming Denver loses their last two games and the Jazz beat Portland, we would get Denver in the 1st round, yeah?

EDIT: Nvm. Got an answer downstairs.

TE
04-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Could be a tough series.

Dex
04-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Personally, I would've much rather gone up against the Suns. That frontline of Favors, Millsap, Jefferson is going to be a load, and Devin Harris has always been a thorn in our sides.

ducks
04-25-2012, 12:12 AM
our bigs are better then their bigs
it will be a good tuneup for thunder or lakers

ace3g
04-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Diaw vs Milsap will be a good match up

ducks
04-25-2012, 12:13 AM
shut down milsap and al jefferson

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-25-2012, 12:13 AM
It's the Jazz's size that worries me. Jefferson seems to have taken the place of Randolph last year, a fat/lazy motherfucker who is gonna get up for the Spurs.

InRareForm
04-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Spurs in 5 most likely. Possibly could go 6.

ducks
04-25-2012, 12:16 AM
denver losses spurs could face them instead

ElNono
This isn't a lock yet, I don't think... if Denver losses their last two and Utah wins their next one, I think Denver drops to 8, since Utah has the tiebreaker

VBM
Personally, I would've much rather gone up against the Suns. That frontline of Favors, Millsap, Jefferson is going to be a load, and Devin Harris has always been a thorn in our sides.

If Parker can't outplay Harris, lol at dealing with Conley or CP3 in Round 2

Spurs da champs
04-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Their front line in general will be tough but I'm stating this Favors is gonna be a problem in this series.

VBM
04-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Sounds like Raja Bell will be ready to roll as well. Another Manu/Bell matchup should be fun.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Spurs better sweep these fucks. Devin Harris needs to be exposed for the scrub he is, spurs need to get revenge for prior offense too

VBM
04-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Spurs better sweep these fucks. Devin Harris needs to be exposed for the scrub he is, spurs need to get revenge for prior offense too

Spurs will get reffed out of a game in Utah. Best thing to hope for is Spurs in 5.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-25-2012, 12:31 AM
I want to see Tony take this match up personally, he needs to shove that overrated hack Devin's face into the dirt, and keep it there

jmanu20
04-25-2012, 12:38 AM
I think Girasuck is pretty spot on with his points about the Jazz.

I believe the easier match up would have been the Suns, simply because they have no consistent offensive threats outside of Nash and Gortat. Plus, they really don't offer much in the way of defense.

The Jazz have young big man depth and play a physical brand of basketball. They also have a home court advantage that will likely get them at least one victory (I'd say game 3). I think the Spurs still take it in 5, but I wouldn't be surprised to see each game be a good battle.