PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry in the NBATV studio

mabrignani
04-24-2012, 01:57 AM
no mention of Tony Parker. Dennis Scott brings up the Spurs big 3: Duncan, Ginobli, & Stephen Jackson.

jestersmash
04-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Can you blame him?

It's been this way with Brent Barry and Jon Barry for a while now. This is nothing new.

Brent will still defend the Spurs team as a whole on NBATV, but he won't go out of his way to emphasize Parker's role, and in many cases he'll ignore him altogether in his analysis.

DAF86
04-24-2012, 02:14 AM
Can you blame him?

It's been this way with Brent Barry and Jon Barry for a while now. This is nothing new.

Brent will still defend the Spurs team as a whole on NBATV, but he won't go out of his way to emphasize Parker's role, and in many cases he'll ignore him altogether in his analysis.

Not only him but the analysts around him too, it's funny to watch tbh.

Fireball
04-24-2012, 02:14 AM
totally understandable by the way ...

Halberto
04-24-2012, 02:18 AM
lol that dude cheated on his wife all the time.

dakota_spursfan
04-24-2012, 03:49 AM
apparently those two championship rings havent erased the memory of the wedding ring haha

benefactor
04-24-2012, 05:52 AM
One guy doesn't bring up the name of another guy who was banging his wife.

Shocking.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-24-2012, 07:34 AM

Shocking.

Not shocking, but very unprofessional. How can you discuss one of the best teams in the league, and their best player is an off-limits topic?

VBM
04-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Shocking.

Parker textedPERIOD

SenorSpur
04-24-2012, 07:43 AM

This wouldn't be surprising from any NBA athlete, but how do you know this?

Slomo
04-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Parker textedPERIOD

Of course and Bill didn't inhale...

it's me
04-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Erin>EvaPERIOD

cheguevara
04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
awkward

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 08:51 AM
i see nothing with what brent did...

that joke ass shouldve been traded last season for his antics of the court and his choke job against 2 scrubs in the playoffs...

Old School 44
04-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Sad...with the Spurs rolling and poised for a deep run, it's going to be even more awkward going forward for Barry.

Even before the "sexting", I always thought Brent would be a good to great TV guy.
Too bad we probably won't see any indepth Spurs stories from Brent.

Personally and professionally, I think he should meet/talk to Tony if he hasn't already to clear the air. Then, I think he should take the issue somewhat head-on by doing an "Inside the Spurs" story and do a big three interview. Just put it behind him, so he can quiet the awkwardness not only for him, but the other analysts he works with.

T Park
04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Lol lets ignore the other day how he talked about Parker being an MVp candidate.

KaiRMD1
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah I noticed that during any Spurs highlights that Barry happens to be present for. But I think last year, he may have mentioned "Tony" once or "their point guard"

VBM
04-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Could have been worse...Parker could have gone Delonte on Mama Barry.

DesignatedT
04-24-2012, 12:01 PM
wgaf

EVAY
04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Okay guys, now I've seen lots of outrage on this forum about Tp's betrayal of Brent.

What about Erin Barry's betrayal of Brent?

If you notice, both Eva and Erin are quite a few years older than Tony. Eva absolutely made no bones (no pun intended) about the fact that she went after Tony. She was like about 8 years older than he was...and she went looking for him after one of the games and made a tv splash about him being her favorite spur and she wanted to be introduced to him. Shortly thereafter they are seen dating and then they got married.

In lots of places, that makes her a cougar.

What makes anybody think Erin Barry is any different?

It seems to me that they are equally culpable in all of this, but I never see anyone saying....hey, they threw themselves at him and he did what any red-blooded 20-something year old millionaire would do.

Nor do I see anyone saying that a wife's betrayal of the husband is worse than a guy's betrayal of a teammate.

BanditHiro
04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
:elephant

EVAY
04-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Of course and Bill didn't inhale...

LOL Bill's problem is that he never Exhaled!:lol

hater
04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
here is what parker thought about Barry's broadcast

http://px9.funformobile.com/d/169/61/1fjdcjav7c/ohface.gif

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Dennis Scott brings up the Spurs big 3: Duncan, Ginobli, & Stephen Jackson.

Gotta give D Scott a bit of props for looking out for his partner. :lol

ChumpDumper
04-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, if Barry is going to be an unprofessional pussy about this he should recuse himself from anything regarding the Spurs.

GSH
04-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't blame Brent even a little bit. But, knowing the situation, maybe NBATV should find a more objective analyst?

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
It is a bit odd that he seemed more okay with Parker last year than he is now.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Not shocking, but very unprofessional
That

I believe its called a conflict of interest. I find it odd nbatv really haven't handled the situation from within by now. Seems like an easy enough solution. At least easier than the spurs having to sit Parker because Barry is commentating on a game the same day

gameFACE
04-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I would imagine there could have been an assumption by him that the Spurs wouldn't be in any serious talk about championship contenders given their elimination last year. So there was a low probability that TP would come up in any serious discussion.

Regardless, he signed on as a broadcast "professional" and that means you have to mention Parker. Not to defend any sexting or any thing else TP did with Erin Barry. But tough shit, Bones. You'll have to deal with it. Like "Tony just undressed those post players with his speed".

ohmwrecker
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Brent Barry looks like a cuckholded pussy. He needs to get over it and do his fucking job.

Spur|n|Austin
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Is that we he told you?

TheSkeptic
04-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Brent Barry looks like a cuckholded pussy. He needs to get over it and do his fucking job.

Basketball is just a game. A divorce and a betrayal by the people he thought he could trust (his wife and his team mate) is real life. I can't say I blame Brent and all things considered I think he manages himself pretty decently where the Spurs are concerned. His issue seems to mostly be with Tony and even then he does restrain himself somewhat.

ohmwrecker
04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Cry me a river.

TheSkeptic
04-24-2012, 03:10 PM
^^ Nobody's crying. Just pointing out that basketball isn't that important in the grand scheme of things and that it shouldn't be prioritized over people's lives. I do agree with GSH that Barry should get someone else to fill in for Spurs-related material if it's a problem but all things considered he's held up fairly well imo.

manufan10
04-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Can't be worse than Jon Barry. :lol

TheSkeptic
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
^^ Exactly.

Budkin
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Haha I'm always thinking this when I see those guys showing Spurs highlights. I always wait for Brent to say Parker's name but I've never heard it.

ohmwrecker
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Can't be worse than Jon Barry. :lol

Nobody is making that argument. Jon Barry could barely contain his Spurs hate and jealousy even when his own brother played here. Their dad is an asswipe too.

tmtcsc
04-24-2012, 04:14 PM

I didn't notice that at all. I think he's been the same way throughout the last 2 years. I don't think he's being unprofessional at all. When it comes to commenting on TP, they just let the other analyst handle it. No big deal.

Tony is dead to Brent. That's it.

ohmwrecker
04-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I didn't notice that at all. I think he's been the same way throughout the last 2 years. I don't think he's being unprofessional at all. When it comes to commenting on TP, they just let the other analyst handle it. No big deal.

Then he should get a new job tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 04:24 PM
brent should just go jalen rose on these fcks if they continue to give him shit instead of concentrating on analysing the game

GSH
04-24-2012, 04:31 PM

Then he should get a new job tbh.

Sort of like trying to be a weather man, but refusing to talk about one particular city. Or being an exterminator, but having a soft spot for ants. It's sort of a job requirement, Brent.

You do have to wonder if someone at NBATV is screwing with him. "Ha - here's another Spurs story - give that one to Brent.":lol

Dr. John R. Brinkley
04-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Brent was a good Spur and probably one of the coolest dudes to ever play in San Antonio. I don't quite get all the hot air being exhaled in this thread. I think it's pretty weak that everyone is somehow turning on him over basically nothing.

Fans love to vacillate between "we're under the radar" to "we don't get any respect". You need someone else to tell you what you like?

GSH
04-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Brent was a good Spur and probably one of the coolest dudes to ever play in San Antonio. I don't quite get all the hot air being exhaled in this thread. I think it's pretty weak that everyone is somehow turning on him over basically nothing.

Fans love to vacillate between "we're under the radar" to "we don't get any respect". You need someone else to tell you what you like?

Dude - I like Barry. I liked him when he was here. I said I don't blame him for being a little bitter about what happened. But he took a job as an NBA analyst. The Spurs are always a top team, and Parker is one of the top PG's. It's not hating to point out that those two things don't go together.

Now his brother Jon? He's a tool. Always was, even before the Parker incident. Still is. Probably always will be. After all, their dad never got over it. Once again, that's not hating Brent. Just pointing out the obvious.

cd98
04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
How do we know Brent has a secret resentment to Parker? Maybe he's trying to get a gig with ABC or ESPN and he knows they only hire people that ignore the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Dude - I like Barry. I liked him when he was here. I said I don't blame him for being a little bitter about what happened. But he took a job as an NBA analyst. The Spurs are always a top team, and Parker is one of the top PG's. It's not hating to point out that those two things don't go together.

Now his brother Jon? He's a tool. Always was, even before the Parker incident. Still is. Probably always will be. After all, their dad never got over it. Once again, that's not hating Brent. Just pointing out the obvious.

clearly they are baiting him to mention the scrubs name, when why should he force it upon himself to give independent analyst about the scrub just to please you wanekrs; he couldve just be a tool like his brother on the show

GSH
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
How do we know Brent has a secret resentment to Parker? Maybe he's trying to get a gig with ABC or ESPN and he knows they only hire people that ignore the Spurs.

It's always good to have an alternate theory, just to acknowledge that you never know the whole story. :D

[Note: It's rarely a good idea to wager on said alternate theory.]

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
he hates him with a passion just like haters on this site and members of CoM...nothing wrong with that, why should he mention or give credit where its due...fck that shit

ohmwrecker
04-24-2012, 04:49 PM
he hates him with a passion just like haters on this site and members of CoM...nothing wrong with that, why should he mention or give credit where its due...fck that shit

What in the holy hell are you going on about?

T Park
04-24-2012, 05:58 PM
What in the holy hell are you going on about?

forget it hes rolling.

roycrikside
04-24-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't know why people here are ripping on Brent Barry, tbh.

1. He has every right to feel the way he does.
2. He isn't anywhere near anti-Spurs as his brother or many other analysts, especially the ones at ESPN, who have no reason to be bitter. Jalen Rose had so little idea of the Spurs personnel that he thought Blair was their second-best big man two weeks ago. Stephen A. Smith has no idea who Tiago Splitter is. Compared to them Bones is pretty level-headed and astute.

lefty
04-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Brent is an excellent analyst TBH

FkLA
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Dont blame Brent one bit for hating Parkers guts but it is kind of awkward for his colleagues to blatantly pity him pretty much. Calling Duncan, Manu, and Jack the Spurs Big 3 because Brent is in the studio is cringeworthy tbh. I think it would make his and his colleagues job much easier if he was more professional about it. Focus strictly on Tony the basketball player.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
04-24-2012, 06:56 PM

I agree with your thoughts.

I would add that everyone has bias. That's human nature. Brent's is obvious but at least easily explained, and from a Spur perspective, he has nothing against the team. Plenty of analyses actually hate the Spurs but for lesser reasons. What's their excuse?

SpursIndonesia
04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Okay guys, now I've seen lots of outrage on this forum about Tp's betrayal of Brent.

What about Erin Barry's betrayal of Brent?

If you notice, both Eva and Erin are quite a few years older than Tony. Eva absolutely made no bones (no pun intended) about the fact that she went after Tony. She was like about 8 years older than he was...and she went looking for him after one of the games and made a tv splash about him being her favorite spur and she wanted to be introduced to him. Shortly thereafter they are seen dating and then they got married.

In lots of places, that makes her a cougar.

What makes anybody think Erin Barry is any different?

It seems to me that they are equally culpable in all of this, but I never see anyone saying....hey, they threw themselves at him and he did what any red-blooded 20-something year old millionaire would do.

Nor do I see anyone saying that a wife's betrayal of the husband is worse than a guy's betrayal of a teammate.

This !! +1

Is it known for SURE that it was Tony who started that sexting thing ?? :nope

VBM
04-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Lmao Brent Barry's song on TNT. Once he got to T, it's a clip of Love blocking Parker

ace3g
04-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Lmao Brent Barry's song on TNT. Once he got to T, it's a clip of Love blocking Parker

yeah that was awesome, lol

timtonymanu
04-25-2012, 01:28 AM
:lol That shit was hilarious.

Sean Cagney
04-25-2012, 02:06 AM

LOL at Leonards face, cold as hell and is like whatever to what anyone says! I love his ice cold grill alot fo times.

DAF86
04-25-2012, 02:06 AM

When it got T and they showed Parker I thought: "shit, he's going to name him" but no, the editors/producers of that show were just fucking with us.

007nites
04-25-2012, 02:24 AM

Kawhi's not ammused

Obstructed_View
04-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Kawhi's not ammused

Yes he is. That's laughter.

mingus
04-25-2012, 03:55 AM
I've watched Brent's commentaries about the Spurs about 5 times and he's never mentioned Parker. What makes it doubly difficult for Brent is the fact that Parker's game is all about penetrating. I can understand why he wouldn't want to talk about Parker's penetration.

Manufan909
04-25-2012, 08:45 AM
I've watched Brent's commentaries about the Spurs about 5 times and he's never mentioned Parker. What makes it doubly difficult for Brent is the fact that Parker's game is all about penetrating. I can understand why he wouldn't want to talk about Parker's penetration.

/thread

mingus
04-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Can you blame the guy!!

Brent was a devoted husband and father and he got backstabbed. I am sure all of you including myself would be just as reluctant to praise a guy that cheated on someone we love and started a family with. It would be like trying to cough up a baseball size hairball stuck in our throats just to get the words.

He's got to separate what's going on on the hardwood from his personal life.

ace3g
04-29-2012, 08:44 AM
If you missed the song by Barry:
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/04/27/20120427_barry_farewell.nba/

100%duncan
04-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Sad that it had come to this tbh.

cherylsteele
04-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Then he should get a new job tbh.Then don't watch those highlights.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Then don't watch those highlights.

It's unprofessional, but it's not Brent's fault, it's the network's for allowing the 500 lb. gorilla in the room to exist at all. It should have been made clear up front that all players are up for discussion and that if he couldn't do it, he needed to look for another job.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2012, 09:53 AM
If they want to keep Brent, they should make arrangements that he doesn't analyze Spurs games. It's just unprofessional and awkward.

It's weird to me that he was able to participate in PR events with the Spurs earlier this year, but he is unable to sack up and do his job. If he can't handle professionally commenting on Tony, he shouldn't be put in the position to do so...or he should get another job.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2012, 09:56 AM
If they want to keep Brent, they should make arrangements that he doesn't analyze Spurs games. It's just unprofessional and awkward.

It's weird to me that he was able to participate in PR events with the Spurs earlier this year, but he is unable to sack up and do his job. If he can't handle professionally commenting on Tony, he shouldn't be put in the position to do so...or he should get another job.

What's odd is that it seems fairly recent. He was okay until the last few months. Might have gotten some unpleasant info in a deposition. :wow

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
whether he decides to discuss about tp or not is up to him anyway...just look at the other clowns on the network who dont bring anything to the table yet continues to talk out of their asses...

ploto
04-29-2012, 10:06 AM
You know if the player Brent was not too fond of was someone who was not a Spur that you be loving it! Some of you still can not get past Kobe cheating in Colorado and that was years ago and with a stranger- not his wife's friend.

All commentators have biases. NBA-TV has tried to handle it tongue-in-cheek. Of course, Tony is part of the Big 3- no one thinks he isn't. And choosing the Kevin Love block on Tony at the letter T is actually pretty hilarious!

I especially enjoyed the person in this thread who said that Brent should simply meet with Tony and make it all cool. Do some of you know how close of friends the four of them were? It does not matter whether Erin started it, Tony participated, and this was his teammate's wife. Really, she is not material anymore in the sense that what is left is that Tony cheated to whatever degree with Brent's wife. Maybe, just maybe, Tony is responsible for destroying the relationship between him and Brent. Imagine that!?

I also do not know why people say he has to leave his personal feelings out of it. Every commentator I hear has personal feelings about players or coaches or teams due to their personal experiences. Spurs fans do not seem to mind if the bias is a positive one based on someone's personal experience.

BTW, Brent is the best one they have in the studio on NBA-TV. He is not going anywhere but up!

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I also do not know why people say he has to leave his personal feelings out of it. Every commentator I hear has personal feelings about players or coaches or teams due to their personal experiences. Spurs fans do not seem to mind if the bias is a positive one based on someone's personal experience.

BTW, Brent is the best one they have in the studio on NBA-TV. He is not going anywhere but up!

just oxymorons on this site who think barry has an obligation to mention parker part of the big 3 or whatever about the spurs in relation to parker...seriously fellas nobody b4 barrys employment was talkin or givin props to the spurs, none of you guys gave 2 shits about then, but why now? cause you think barry needs to mention parker cause he was once part of the team....gfto...

Kori Ellis
04-29-2012, 10:18 AM

Sure, some of them are more favorable or more unfavorable in their analysis because of their personal experiences, but who else avoids mentioning a player altogether?

Proxy
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
If I was Brent and I could keep my job while not having to mention TP, I'd be doing the exact same thing. I don't blame him, and I hold nothing against him. Saying he should suck it up seems a bit harsh when we're talking about something as meaningless as sports analysis.

ohmwrecker
04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Then don't watch those highlights.

What?! I can't watch something and have an opinion about it? That's dumb.

Fernando TD21
04-29-2012, 01:35 PM
You know if the player Brent was not too fond of was someone who was not a Spur that you be loving it! Some of you still can not get past Kobe cheating in Colorado and that was years ago and with a stranger- not his wife's friend.

All commentators have biases. NBA-TV has tried to handle it tongue-in-cheek. Of course, Tony is part of the Big 3- no one thinks he isn't. And choosing the Kevin Love block on Tony at the letter T is actually pretty hilarious!

I especially enjoyed the person in this thread who said that Brent should simply meet with Tony and make it all cool. Do some of you know how close of friends the four of them were? It does not matter whether Erin started it, Tony participated, and this was his teammate's wife. Really, she is not material anymore in the sense that what is left is that Tony cheated to whatever degree with Brent's wife. Maybe, just maybe, Tony is responsible for destroying the relationship between him and Brent. Imagine that!?

:toast This.

tesseractive
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Sure, some of them are more favorable or more unfavorable in their analysis because of their personal experiences, but who else avoids mentioning a player altogether?

Who else has to deal with a player that slept with his wife?

Paranoid Pop
04-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Who else has to deal with a player that slept with his wife?

BronBron has to deal with a player that slept with his mom, Barry is pretty fortunate imo :king.

But seriously we don't know that they slept together, they never denied the sexting but clearly denied everything else. Both were in dead mariages, they were good friends, shit happens. Barry can do what he wants about it tho, personally I think it's hilarious but ultimately it's awkward for Barry himself.

BillMc
04-29-2012, 03:29 PM
The Parker situation aside, anyone think Brent is way better than his brother?

mingus
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
As long as Tony keeps his dick out of Tim's wife and Manu's wife, I could not care less.

mingus
04-29-2012, 03:42 PM
The Parker situation aside, anyone think Brent is way better than his brother?

When not concerning the Spurs, yeah, because there is a gaping hole in Brent's analysis of the Spurs.

SA210
04-29-2012, 04:39 PM
As long as Tony keeps his dick out of Tim's wife and Manu's wife, I could not care less.

:lol I would love to see the reaction to a Spurs player reading this

bklynspursfan
04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Brent actually mentioned Tony a couple times in yesterday's highlights.

Made a comment about the "French Connection" of Tony/Diaw and mentioned him a couple other times.

G-Nob
04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
You all need to stay out of Bones' personal life. He's obviously moved on, otherwise, he wouldn't be on nbaTV anymore. It goes beyond not mentioning Tony's name. I'm sure he understands his job and he's gotta eat so he'll do what he needs to do to become a better analyst and leave that other stuff in the past.

I have to mention people at work all the time I can't stand to be around. Even give them props. But I'll be damned if they keep me from moving up in the world.

Basketball Power
04-30-2012, 06:44 PM

By never mentioning the best player on the number 1 seed in the playoffs just draws more attention to it