PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Spurs eyeing F Nicolas Batum

NASpurs
04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Sounds like an off-season article :lol

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Sources-Spurs-eyeing-F-Nicolas-Batum=1&blockID=695532&feedID=5212

Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 5:55am

The number I'm hearing Portland Trail Blazers forward Nicolas Batum will command this off season is $10-11 million per, according to a few league executives when Batum becomes a restricted free agent.

And, I'm being told by multiple sources that the San Antonio Spurs will make a hard push to attain the promising small forward. If that ever came into fruition, Batum, 23, would love to play for coach Gregg Popovich and his structured system. Keep in mind that Batum thought he was going to be a Spur until the Houston Rockets took him at No. 25 in the 2008 NBA draft, to Batum's surprise.

“ I was shocked,” Batum told CSNNW.com. “I thought for sure I was headed to San Antonio. I was talking with Tony (Parker) and the guys and then Houston drafts me out of nowhere. I never worked out for them. They had T-Mac (Tracy McGrady) and (Shane) Battier at that time, and I was confused. Then I was traded to Portland and I was like 'okay, that's better'.”

Tony Parker is one of Batum's closest friends and teammate on the French national team and they've been playing together for years. On paper, Batum on the Spurs would be an ideal fit.

Batum sat out last night's 35-point loss to the Spurs nursing his sore left knee, but took time afterwards to talk about how the Spurs handle business and the uncertainty of his future in Portland.

“ The Spurs play well together. They share the ball and do everything the right way,” Batum said. “I don't know what's going to happen with my situation and I'm not worried about it right now. Everything will play itself out.”

The Trail Blazers had a chance to extend Batum's deal at the Jan. 25 deadline, however Batum's agent Bouna Ndiaye and Trail Blazers management couldn't come to terms (http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?No-extension-for-Nicolas-Batum=1&blockID=638648&feedID=5212)on a deal.
Negotiations got so heated that it prompted this response from Batum's agent: "When Batum becomes a restricted free agent, we'll look at the other 29 teams before we talk to the Blazers," Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. "The Blazers had their chance."

Back then, Batum's agent was demanding less than what he'll seek for his client this time around. Also, those talks were before Batum was inserted into the starting lineup and became easily the second best player on the team.
The Trail Blazers took a gamble, and it appears that Batum will come out on top when it's all said and done.
Now the question will be, are the Trail Blazers willing to spend that much on Batum?

The other question is, can the Trail Blazers afford not to spend that much money on Batum?

With the way this season has played out, letting go of one of your most likable players can't be a good thing going forward.

What would you do?

Mel_13
04-24-2012, 09:22 AM
The guy calls himself an insider, but apparently doesn't understand restricted free agency or salary cap limitations.

coyotes_geek
04-24-2012, 09:27 AM
The guy calls himself an insider, but apparently doesn't understand restricted free agency or salary cap limitations.

Apparently Batum's agent doesn't understand restricted free agency either.

Negotiations got so heated that it prompted this response from Batum's agent: "When Batum becomes a restricted free agent, we'll look at the other 29 teams before we talk to the Blazers," Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. "The Blazers had their chance."

Mel_13
04-24-2012, 09:28 AM

:lol

TJastal
04-24-2012, 09:30 AM
got damn even I know that :lol

Bruno
04-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Batum won't be a Spurs for at least 3 reasons:
1. Kawhi Leonard rise.
2. Spurs likely can't have enough capspace to get him after the Jack trade.
3. Blazers want to keep him and re-build their team around Aldridge, Batum and Matthews.

SenorSpur
04-24-2012, 09:45 AM
1. Kawhi Leonard rise.
3. Blazers want to keep him and re-build their team around Aldridge, Batum and Matthews.

All of which are things that came to my mind when I read this.

No one would love to see Batum in a Spurs uniform for than me - but that was before this season. Now, I believe the drafting of Kawhi Leonard and the late addition of Stephen Jackson has firmly solidified the Spurs SF position for both the present and the future.

There just isn't that much money to go around.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
So much fail in this article. A proper GNSF NASF take.

benefactor
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
1. Kawhi Leonard rise.
/thread

Seventyniner
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Cue the Jax + 1st-rounder for Batum threads in 3,2,1...

SpursIndonesia
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Can Batum play SG effectively ?

I can see a sign & trade scenario very easily involving Green + Jack for Batum + salary filler, if he really wants to be a Spur, and the Spurs really want him.

romain.star
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
1. Kawhi Leonard rise.

C'eût été à peu près dingue de voir les Spurs débuter avec 3 gars du pays

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Cue the Jax + 1st-rounder for Batum threads in 3,2,1...

:lol Didn't take long

coyotes_geek
04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Can Batum play SG effectively ?

I can see a sign & trade scenario very easily involving Green + Jack for Batum + salary filler, if he really wants to be a Spur, and the Spurs really want him.

Portland has already shed their salary dead weight and Batum is a far better player than Green & Jack.

timvp
04-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Tbh, Batum just isn't worth $10+M per season. He's overrated defensively and lacks much variation on offense. Don't get me wrong, he's a good young player who could possibly get much better but that would be a poor investment at this point. Over the last couple years, he hasn't shown too much growth (in fact, I'd say he's regressed on D). I think Batum would actually work next to Leonard but I wouldn't advocate it if he costs more than about $7M ... which he will.

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Tbh, Batum just isn't worth $10+M per season. He's overrated defensively and lacks much variation on offense. Don't get me wrong, he's a good young player who could possibly get much better but that would be a poor investment at this point. Over the last couple years, he hasn't shown too much growth (in fact, I'd say he's regressed on D). I think Batum would actually work next to Leonard but I wouldn't advocate it if he costs more than about $7M ... which he will.

his just another player posting up meaningless stats on a bad team...i think i pass

our SF rotation is already set and cheaper

SenorSpur
04-24-2012, 10:13 AM

I just wonder how much of Batum's regression has to do with the instability of the Blazers organization - including the many incoming and outgoing players, lineup changes and front office upheaval. While he's virtually played his entire career under the coaching of Nate McMillian, he's been yanked in and out of the lineup and now has changed positions. And who knows what type of offseason instructional program he's gotten? Obviously, it's the player's responsibility to get better, but I wonder if Batum would've been further along in his development had he been with a more stable organization?

swaggerjackson
04-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I love Batum but for the umpteenth time can we address our bigman problem first? Leonard is incredible, and while Jax is not a long term solution he has certainly earned a solid spot in the rotation and has 10million on the books next year. I love Diaw and I always thought he would be great next to Duncan, but our bigman rotation is still our weak point. That being said if we could get him on a discounted proce or backloaded contract I would be all in favor. I know he is friends with Tony, but I would go after Tim's friend Hibbert first.

dunkman
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Jack makes +10M next season, the Spurs would need to dump his salary before signing Batum, which would be risky because the Blazers can match any offer. That being said, if the Blazers know he doesn't want to play there, they won't match a big salary that may have to be written off later.

letmk
04-24-2012, 10:22 AM
It's still too early. For Batum and Blazers, their season are over and it's natural for them and their local media pondering about it.

But for us, let's concentrate on getting the championship. If we can win this year, it's hard to imagine that Pop would trade away anybody in the top 10 rotation. On the other hand, if we lose early, it's natural that they will try to trade away Jack and/or anybody, or even one of big two. (I can't imagine that Tim is playing elsewhere, although retiring is possible if we got beat badly again.)

Anyway, drive for 5.

Mal
04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
For 7 mil, Portland will claim him, or whatever picking RFA option is called, and be thankful for quick rebuild.

I am not a racist, but I wouldnt trust my future with guy named Bouna Ndiaye.

Arc
04-24-2012, 10:25 AM
were we going for batum in the 2008 draft?
it's pretty weird how portland swoops in and takes him 1 pick ahead of ours (draft day trade with houston). did he even workout with them?

oh well. we picked george hill, which eventually lead to leonard. YAY

TimmehC
04-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Smokescreen.

SpursIndonesia
04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Portland has already shed their salary dead weight and Batum is a far better player than Green & Jack.

Well, the key is a mutual uber interest beetween Batum & The Spurs, with The Blazers being willing to facilitate the deal, while getting a cheaper young role player (who's developing very well in a contending team) and an end contract which perhaps can be bought out.

A long shot and unequal trade indeed, but if Pau Gasol can be traded for bags of burritos, everything goes.

Agreed, though with the current CBA, the gambling won't be that punishing if things don't pan out the way they were expected. Heck, he might give the Spurs discount if it really is his destination, while giving the opposite to the Blazers to force their hand in trade. LOL, ok daydreaming much. :lol

SenorSpur
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I love Batum but for the umpteenth time can we address our bigman problem first? Leonard is incredible, and while Jax is not a long term solution he has certainly earned a solid spot in the rotation and has 10million on the books next year. I love Diaw and I always thought he would be great next to Duncan, but our bigman rotation is still our weak point. That being said if we could get him on a discounted proce or backloaded contract I would be all in favor. I know he is friends with Tony, but I would go after Tim's friend Hibbert first.

Amen.

Mel_13
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Well, the key is a mutual uber interest beetween Batum & The Spurs, with The Blazers being willing to facilitate the deal, while getting a cheaper young role player (who's developing very well in a contending team) and an end contract which perhaps can be bought out.

A long shot and unequal trade indeed, but if Pau Gasol can be traded for bags of burritos, everything goes.

:lol

The old "If the Gasol trade could happen, then anything is possible".

If Portland were willing to replace Batum with Green, they wouldn't need to take back Jack's contract. They could simply let Batum leave and then sign Green to a contract too rich for the Spurs to match(oh yeah, your scenario also calls for both Batum and Green to agree to S&T deals). The Blazers will have a ton of cap space this summer.

GSH
04-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Maybe I'm just cynical, but doesn't it look like all the "inside information" for this article came from Batum's agent?

elemento
04-24-2012, 10:44 AM
were we going for batum in the 2008 draft?
it's pretty weird how portland swoops in and takes him 1 pick ahead of ours (draft day trade with houston). did he even workout with them?

oh well. we picked george hill, which eventually lead to leonard. YAY

Yes

And it's not weird considering Pritchard was Portland's GM back in 2008. It would be nice to get Batum back then, but considering how things worked out (we got Hill and traded him for Leonard + Erazem rights and Bertans) I am pretty happy about the outcome.

Batum is not worth 10/11m. I pass

Overrated defender and inconsistent offensively.

Mr. Body
04-24-2012, 10:44 AM
1. Kawhi Leonard rise.

But really, what happened to the Blazers? Building around Aldridge is one thing, but are Batum and Matthews really guys to form any kind of core?

And how is Batum going to command $10-11 per? Seems like an awful lot of money for that guy.

coyotes_geek
04-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Batum is younger than Green and can be had cheaper than Jack. There's zero reason for Portland to have any interest in facilitating such a deal.

That "bag of burritos" the Grizzlies got included an all-star center. Far more than the blazers would be getting out of a Green+Jackson for Batum swap.

timvp
04-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I just wonder how much of Batum's regression has to do with the instability of the Blazers organization - including the many incoming and outgoing players, lineup changes and front office upheaval. While he's virtually played his entire career under the coaching of Nate McMillian, he's been yanked in and out of the lineup and now has changed positions. And who knows what type of offseason instructional program he's gotten? Obviously, it's the player's responsibility to get better, but I wonder if Batum would've been further along in his development had he been with a more stable organization?

Good questions; I've had similar thoughts. Batum might have developed into a beast in the Spurs system. Pop wouldn't have let him fall off a cliff defensively and would have given him room to grow offensively. In a parallel universe where the Spurs landed Batum, it wouldn't be too surprising if he were an All-Star.

And don't even get me started on how the RJ trade would have never happened if the Spurs landed Batum in the draft :pctoss

Then again, Batum wouldn't have been enough to put the Spurs over the top the last four years and I'm more than happy with Leonard ... so maybe this was what had to happen to give the Spurs a shot at #5.

romain.star
04-24-2012, 11:05 AM
For 7 mil, Portland will claim him, or whatever picking RFA option is called, and be thankful for quick rebuild.

I'm sorry to tell you that but you are a racist

mercos
04-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I am very happy with our current combo of Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson. Combining those two with Danny Green gives us the perfect mix of offense and defense from our wing players outside of Parker and Ginobili. Honestly, right now I would be ecstatic if we keep the current roster intact. With the exception of James Anderson, nearly everyone on the roster contributes in a positive way right now. If we can not win with the players we have right now, we will not be winning in the big three era again.

TimmehC
04-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Meh. He'd be a good option at the 2, but he's definitely not worth that kind of money.

will_spurs
04-24-2012, 11:17 AM

I think he does. RFA only means the Blazers can match any offer, not that his agent can't shop him to the whole league before going back to the Blazers. I'm pretty sure there's an amount of money the Blazers aren't willing to pay. And I'm also pretty sure Batum will get a qualifying offer higher than what the Blazers could have signed for his extension.

I'm afraid that's exactly the definition of being racist.

timvp
04-24-2012, 11:35 AM

That's an odd statement from a Spurs fan considering Ndiaye is the agent the Spurs trust the most ... by far. He's the one who hid Mahinmi to allow the Spurs to draft him. He also shut down Batum after the Spurs said they'd draft him. Plus, Ndiaye even floated an enlarged heart rumor to further try to lower Batum's stock so he'd drop to San Antonio.

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 11:39 AM
this is another trevor ariza waiting to happen...some stupid team will overpay for his services

SenorSpur
04-24-2012, 11:44 AM
That's an odd statement from a Spurs fan considering Ndiaye is the agent the Spurs trust the most ... by far. He's the one who hid Mahinmi to allow the Spurs to draft him. He also shut down Batum after the Spurs said they'd draft him. Plus, Ndiaye even floated an enlarged heart rumor to further try to lower Batum's stock so he'd drop to San Antonio.

True dat! Don't diss the pipeline.

I would wonder whether Ndiaye has any other low-profile, talented, future prospects that could be on the Spurs long-term radar?

Venti Quattro
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
de Colo, Diaw, Parker, Batum...are you trying to hoard the French national team?

Mal
04-24-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry to tell you that but you are a racist

hmmm, then I suppose I have a problem

GSH
04-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Edit: Sorry, just a mis-read. Thanks O_V for setting me straight.

I do agree with the OP that this would usually be an off-season article. I think Batum knows how much better off he would have been, if the Spurs had drafted him instead. That's got to be a bitter pill to swallow, when you're so sure you're going to a great team.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I thought this was a thread necro from four years ago. Batum is a nice player if you are desperately in need of a long three. The Spurs aren't anymore.

Furthermore, Batum hasn't really developed. The only reason his points have gone up is because he's taking way more shots. Leonard has developed more in a shortened, no-camp season than Batum has in his entire career.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't think it's odd,

I'm guessing you misread something before, because I'm betting that you agree that it's odd for Mal to say that he wouldn't trust an agent just because he has an African name, particularly one who has been so cooperative with the Spurs.

Sorry for the ROS

GSH
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
BTW - I presume that everyone is agreeing that the Spurs would have taken Batum, if Houston/Portland hadn't snatched him right ahead of them. So do you think the Spurs would have tried to trade up to get Hill, too? It's obvious that they really liked him. And it seems like there was a lot of maneuvering in that draft. Back then we thought Hill was a complete unknown, but afterwards there were lots of stories that the C's, and maybe others, would have taken him ahead of the Spurs' second pick. Would they have tried to get both?

GSH
04-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm guessing you misread something before, because I'm betting that you agree that it's odd for Mal to say that he wouldn't trust an agent just because he has an African name, particularly one who has been so cooperative with the Spurs.

Sorry for the ROS

No, thanks for setting me straight. I did mis-read that. I swear, I thought it was a response to what I had posted. No, that comment about not trusting an agent because of an African name was pure ignorance. I've never agreed with anyone saying things like that. Never will.

Bruno
04-24-2012, 12:52 PM

IMO, Blazers made two big mistakes with Batum.
First, they let him play through a shoulder injury and it ended up with a surgery that cost him half a season.
Second, they traded for Gerald Wallace which put Batum in a complicate roster situation.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
BTW - I presume that everyone is agreeing that the Spurs would have taken Batum, if Houston/Portland hadn't snatched him right ahead of them. So do you think the Spurs would have tried to trade up to get Hill, too? It's obvious that they really liked him. And it seems like there was a lot of maneuvering in that draft. Back then we thought Hill was a complete unknown, but afterwards there were lots of stories that the C's, and maybe others, would have taken him ahead of the Spurs' second pick. Would they have tried to get both?

I don't think so. I think losing Batum completely threw them, and they took Hill because he was at the top of their board and they didn't have time to trade down.

Duncan2177
04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
The spurs need to get a bigman this offseason.

SpursDynasty85
04-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Is Stephen Jackson eligible for the amnesty? If so, would this create enough room to go after Batum and re-sign Duncan?

Hooks
04-24-2012, 02:47 PM
The spurs need to get a bigman this offseason.

They already have a really good lineup of TD/Diaw/Splitter/Bonner/Blair, I think their front line is set.

Diaw fits the Spurs perfectly and can be had for just MLE. The only other big man out there that could contribute anywhere near what Diaw does for the Spurs is Kaman and he'd be too expensive. Most bigs are overpaid and are really overrated.

Anyways the only way I could see them getting Batum is by trading Jackson...

elemento
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Is Stephen Jackson eligible for the amnesty? If so, would this create enough room to go after Batum and re-sign Duncan?

No he isn't

Bambililos
04-24-2012, 05:07 PM
de Colo, Diaw, Parker, Batum...are you trying to hoard the French national team?

Can we have Turiaf too? :angel

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
lol trying to field a all french team on the spurs, when they cant even win the euro tournament or whatever NT competes in....

jimo2305
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
dont toy with my emotions -____-

Wild Cobra Kai
04-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Or the fact that we have a younger, cheaper version already in Kawhi. :lol

The need for Batum has disappeared.

CGD
04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Aside from the fact that this sounds like agent posturing, can Batum reliably play at the 2? I personally like the guy -- not for his rumored asking price -- but Leonard makes his redundant.

It's far fetched to see the Spurs pursuing him this summer, but I could see a situation where:

Batum becomes a RFA;
Some team makes offers him a deal;
Blazers match the QO and he enters the final year of his current deal;
Batum indicates his intent to test UFA waters in summer 2013;
Blazers look to get some value for him by the Feb 2012 trade deadline; and
Spurs offer a package involving SJax's expiring.

Dr Cox
04-24-2012, 06:59 PM
not going to lie, I know it is not going to happen but i wish..what a great replacement for Manu in a few years.

jimo2305
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
not going to lie, I know it is not going to happen but i wish..what a great replacement for Manu in a few years.

my thoughts exactly but still wondering about the price tag

Mel_13
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Aside from the fact that this sounds like agent posturing, can Batum reliably play at the 2? I personally like the guy -- not for his rumored asking price -- but Leonard makes his redundant.

It's far fetched to see the Spurs pursuing him this summer, but I could see a situation where:

Batum becomes a RFA;
Some team makes offers him a deal;

Blazers match the QO and he enters the final year of his current deal;
Batum indicates his intent to test UFA waters in summer 2013;
Blazers look to get some value for him by the Feb 2012 trade deadline; and
Spurs offer a package involving SJax's expiring.

Once he signs an offer sheet, he's under a new contract. It's just a matter of which team he will play with, the Blazers or the offering team.

mkurts
04-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Batum is overrated and overpaid yet some people still lust after him, even when Leonard is already on the team.

The stupidity never ceases to amaze ....

mudyez
04-25-2012, 08:48 AM
lol trying to field a all french team on the spurs, when they cant even win the euro tournament or whatever NT competes in....

Actually I'd think the french national team could be an NBA playoff team with Tony leading the way.

I'd love to have Batum on our team (he is my fav outside of Manu), but that just doesnt make sense.

To bad, but at least I have him on my NBA2K team.

coyotes_geek
04-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Actually I'd think the french national team could be an NBA playoff team with Tony leading the way.

Uh, no.

Paranoid Pop
04-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Uh, no.

Hm Noah, Diaw, Parker start for one of the top 2 teams in the nba and Batum is good even tho he will most likely be overpaid this summer.

And whoever said they can't even beat Spain, that Spanish team is ridiculously stacked.

Spurtacus
04-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Our offseason should be to resign Duncan, Green, and Diaw regardless if we win it all this year. Let Anderson walk. Hopefully we have enough money and a roster spot to sign a cheap big.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
"When Batum becomes a restricted free agent, we'll look at the other 29 teams before we talk to the Blazers," Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. "The Blazers had their chance

This got to be the stupidest agent in the world. Blazers can match any offer any team makes, so yeah, go out and get your best offer and Blazer still can sign him.

Pretty sure he's aware they can match any offer. There's definitely bad blood there, though, so he's probably trying to scare them hoping they wouldn't match.

TDMVPDPOY
04-25-2012, 01:34 PM
can someone explain to me why the blazers fired their GM b4 hiring Cho?...i thought he did a good job....

Obstructed_View
04-25-2012, 03:13 PM
"When Batum becomes a restricted free agent, we'll look at the other 29 teams before we talk to the Blazers," Ndiaye told CSNNW.com. "The Blazers had their chance

This got to be the stupidest agent in the world. Blazers can match any offer any team makes, so yeah, go out and get your best offer and Blazer still can sign him.

He's going to drive up the price and dare them to match. Makes perfect sense to me.