PDA

View Full Version : Tom Waits

RaZon
04-24-2012, 12:01 PM
I discovered this guy a few years ago. Yep the old man Tom Waits. Not saying I'd never heard of him but I had no idea he was what he was. I was thinking he was just a piano player, more a lounge act...:rolleyes

Then I bought a box full (yard sale) of cassette tapes, one of those tapes was....Closing Time. I gave it a chance not expecting a whole hell of a lot......wrong! Totally grabbed me. For about a year I was on the Tom Waits hunt. I had to have everything. Which I now have. Nobody ever hit me that hard.

As Tom Waits fans know we have early and late Waits. Dramatic difference from his Ole 55 days and what we've seen in the last 20 years or so. As you also know, it's all good.

I didn't know about the movies and his writing. Didn't realize he made the impact he has.

After my discovery, Blues Revue did a feature story (with him on the cover) about him. What an interesting guy he is. I also found..Tom Waits.. the book at Borders. Great read.

So what fits, what can you mix with Tom Waits, since he is rather unique? While there is no perfect fit...

John Hammond...who did a CD of Waits tunes...Wicked Grin
early...David Allan Coe
late Bob Dylan
Louisiana Red
Tony Joe White
Ray Wylie Hubbard

...sorta works if you get a little creative. Like I mentioned we do have two different Waits sounds.

C49H3aWdiK8 (http://C49H3aWdiK8)

DeadlyDynasty
04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
pasties and a g-string

RaZon
04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
pasties and a g-string

Yep, but he nailed it with...

ZXunos4IXDU (http://ZXunos4IXDU)

DeadlyDynasty
04-24-2012, 12:16 PM
"I hope that I don't fall in love with you" was always my fav TW song.

RaZon
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Early Waits as you know.

I'd be hard pressed to go with a favorite. Really can't do it. He does have a few clunkers but who doesn't. I would say if I had to go with three artists only for the rest of my life.

Tom Waits
Lightnin' Hopkins
The Rolling Stones

All three having a ton of stuff.

CuckingFunt
04-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I discovered this guy a few years ago. Yep the old man Tom Waits. Not saying I'd never heard of him but I had no idea he was what he was. I was thinking he was just a piano player, more a lounge act...:rolleyes

There's more of that music expertise on display.

Then I bought a box full (yard sale) of cassette tapes, one of those tapes was....Closing Time. I gave it a chance not expecting a whole hell of a lot......wrong! Totally grabbed me. For about a year I was on the Tom Waits hunt. I had to have everything. Which I now have. Nobody ever hit me that hard.

As Tom Waits fans know we have early and late Waits. Dramatic difference from his Ole 55 days and what we've seen in the last 20 years or so. As you also know, it's all good.

I didn't know about the movies and his writing. Didn't realize he made the impact he has.

After my discovery, Blues Revue did a feature story (with him on the cover) about him. What an interesting guy he is. I also found..Tom Waits.. the book at Borders. Great read.

So what fits, what can you mix with Tom Waits, since he is rather unique? While there is no perfect fit...

John Hammond...who did a CD of Waits tunes...Wicked Grin
early...David Allan Coe
late Bob Dylan
Louisiana Red
Tony Joe White
Ray Wylie Hubbard

...sorta works if you get a little creative. Like I mentioned we do have two different Waits sounds.

Not sure what you're asking, here. Or why you'd need a perfect fit to accompany Tom Waits. Good music tends to go well with good music regardless of genre.

Incidentally, my favorite Tom Waits song is probably still the first song of his I ever heard. Used here during the opening sequence of Down By Law, which I saw when I was about ten, or so. Both remain among my favorite songs and my favorite films.

54YhQZN5Uq8

RaZon
04-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm not asking anything.

Totally wrong about good music goes with good music. The trick is to set a mood. You won't get that mixing...

Frank Sinatra
Jellyroll Morton
Hank Williams
Bob Marley
Muddy Waters
Tom Waits
The Ramones....some think it's good music.
Nina Simone

You want it to blend, yep..a mood. Rock with Rock, Country with Country..etc etc.

Your favorite would be far down on my list if I could figure one out. How much of his stuff have you heard?

cantthinkofanything
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm not asking anything.

Totally wrong about good music goes with good music. The trick is to set a mood. You won't get that mixing...

Frank Sinatra
Jellyroll Morton
Hank Williams
Bob Marley
Muddy Waters
Tom Waits
Nina Simone

You want it to blend, yep..a mood. Rock with Rock, Country with Country..etc etc.

Look...you've successfully taken this troll all the way and somehow made him the worst poster on SpursTalk in only a couple of weeks. And everyone (even knowing you're a troll) is so irritated by said troll that we keep responding. Acknowledging your accomplishment in the process. Create the dumbest, most oblivious, worthless posting troll in the world. You win. There, I've said it. Now please quit. Go back to being Mouse.

CuckingFunt
04-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm not asking anything.

I'm not wrong. I just have a different opinion.

No. YOU want it to blend or to be part of a set mood. I like the schizophrenic mix that comes up when I set my iPod to shuffle and I bounce around between eras and genres.

Your favorite would be far down on my list if I could figure one out. How much of his stuff have you heard?

All of it.

leemajors
04-24-2012, 01:43 PM
There's more of that music expertise on display.

Not sure what you're asking, here. Or why you'd need a perfect fit to accompany Tom Waits. Good music tends to go well with good music regardless of genre.

Incidentally, my favorite Tom Waits song is probably still the first song of his I ever heard. Used here during the opening sequence of Down By Law, which I saw when I was about ten, or so. Both remain among my favorite songs and my favorite films.

54YhQZN5Uq8

Always been partial to this song and the album it's on

9BNTymuwHM4

leemajors
04-24-2012, 01:44 PM

No. YOU want it to blend or to be part of a set mood. I like the schizophrenic mix that comes up when I set my iPod to shuffle and I bounce around between eras and genres.

All of it.

Did you get Orphans?

cantthinkofanything
04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Did you get Orphans?

You sicko!

monosylab1k
04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
How did he do in the 100m though?

mrsmaalox
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Not as huge Waits fan/follower, but there are a few that I love, such as Drunk On The Moon

NduqttXVKmA&feature=related

Love that one too :toast

CuckingFunt
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Did you get Orphans?

Yeah. Picked that one up a couple years ago.

cantthinkofanything
04-24-2012, 01:48 PM

shut up. at some point, I fully expect to see RaZon's fantasy 4x400 of colored bluesmen.

manufan10
04-24-2012, 01:48 PM

All of it.

Same here. Love the shuffle option. :lol

manufan10
04-24-2012, 01:49 PM

:lmao

Not as good as Elvis, but it was close. Had to go back and watch the replay.

Capt Bringdown
04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Too self concious for me. A simulacrum at best.

CuckingFunt
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Frank Sinatra
Jellyroll Morton
Hank Williams
Bob Marley
Muddy Waters
Tom Waits
Nina Simone

Not very well, apparently.

cantthinkofanything
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Too self concious for me. A simulacrum at best.

anybody read this thing? had to plod through it a few times but interesting stuff

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BNW0XKAVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

RaZon
04-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Look...you've successfully taken this troll all the way and somehow made him the worst poster on SpursTalk in only a couple of weeks. And everyone (even knowing you're a troll) is so irritated by said troll that we keep responding. Acknowledging your accomplishment in the process. Create the dumbest, most oblivious, worthless posting troll in the world. You win. There, I've said it. Now please quit. Go back to being Mouse.

That coming from the board clown:rolleyes

RaZon
04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
shut up. at some point, I fully expect to see RaZon's fantasy 4x400 of colored bluesmen.

How's about....The All Time NCAA 4x4 Fantasy Relay...instead?

lane

1.Ga Tech...Angelo Taylor..Octavious Terry..Tony McKay..Derek Mills
2.NCC...Larry Black..Edwin Roberts..Julius Sang..Ron Ray
3.USC...Jerome Davis..Lionel Larry..Billy Mullins..Quincy Watts
4.Baylor...Jeremy Wariner...Raymond Pierre..Darold Williamson..MJ
5.UCLA...Danny Everett..Wayne Collett..John Smith..Steve Lewis
6.Arizona State...Herman Frazier..Ron Freeman..Henry Carr..Maurice Peoples
7.LSU...Kelly Willie..A. Francique..Xavier Carter..Derrick Brew
8.Oklahoma...Michael Blackwood..Danny McFarland...Roxbert Martin...Jason Rouser

RaZon
04-24-2012, 11:29 PM

All of it.

You really want to bounce around? I prefer a smooth mood, a nice flow.

Nice flow....

YJuhLnj40vI (http://YJuhLnj40vI)

qY_on-i8ml4 (http://qY_on-i8ml4)

Hp1xPKsklyY (http://Hp1xPKsklyY)

SpursNextRomanEmpire
04-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Hmm, RaZon isn't completely pathetic. Tom Waits is awesome.

I've been wanting to get Bone Machine for a while, but the store that I bought a few other Tom Waits albums never seems to carry it. Yet they carry almost all of his other records.

RaZon
04-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Hmm, RaZon isn't completely pathetic. Tom Waits is awesome.

I've been wanting to get Bone Machine for a while, but the store that I bought a few other Tom Waits albums never seems to carry it. Yet they carry almost all of his other records.

I could talk about everyones mom and hijack threads....that's pathetic. All I do is try to carry on intelligent conversations.

Reck
04-24-2012, 11:36 PM
I could talk about everyones mom and hijack threads....that's pathetic. All I do is try to carry on intelligent conversations.

Prove it, this thread notwithstanding.

RaZon
04-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Prove it, this thread notwithstanding.

No problem...

So why is it you prefer to play the role of critic instead of doing things on your own? I've noticed you shy away from exposing your creative side, why is that?