PDA

View Full Version : According to MaxSports, Big 3 made trip to Phx

ace3g
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Maximum Sports ‏ @MaxSportsSA

Tony Parker is also at airport. It's official. Big 3 will travel to at least Phoenix for 2 game road trip.

--

Doesn't mean they will play though.

Mugen
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't do it, Pop.

spurraider21
04-24-2012, 03:09 PM
it's a must to get them to play in at least one of the games. the last thing we want to start a playoff run is a quick loss due to the rust factor. i think its better to use the starters (in limited minutes of course) against phoenix rather than golden state since it would better simulate a playoff team. phoenix is at least on the cusp whereas golden state is tanking. playing starters against the warriors wouldn't really do much but keep their conditioning up. phoenix could be one final tune-up.

on a side note, if the starters can do what they do and give us a win against phoenix, im sure our bench can handle the warriors anyway. this will give us our 3rd double digit win streak of the year (not that important), but will also extend our nba record 50-win streak, even in a shortened year

boutons_deux
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
all 3 should play both games, but limited minutes.

ace3g
04-24-2012, 03:14 PM

No sign of Gary Neal; he's got a shoulder "stinger" if you believe team injury report. Neal could also have jumped on the plane early.

ohmwrecker
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
If Ginobili gets injured, I am going to bludgeon Pop to death with every wine bottle in his cellar.

Bobby Peru
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Neal took the 2AM Steamer

Mugen
04-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Don't you GNSF this up, Pop.

Mugen
04-24-2012, 03:20 PM
it's a must to get them to play in at least one of the games. the last thing we want to start a playoff run is a quick loss due to the rust factor.

Spurs lost the first game of the 2003, 2005, and 2007 NBA playoffs.

In 1999, they split the first two home games with Minnesota.

jestersmash
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Tony Parker already said that he's going to play at least one of these games. He mentioned it in his postgame interview last night. Taking Tuesday through Friday (or Saturday) off without an actual game is just "too much."

I don't know about Ginobili and Duncan, though.

baseline bum
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Crap, I wouldn't have had them travel.

Mugen
04-24-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't mind them traveling but if Pop plays any of them...it'd be a terrible unnecessary gamble.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/000/836/766/GYI0064325077_crop_450x500.jpg?1302754367

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/03/46/32/943783/3/628x471.jpg

Andthentherewas21
04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
My guess would be they are going to play limited minutes against Phoenix to give them some burn, then send them home while the rest of the team heads to GS. Gives the Big 3 a workout so they aren't rusty, but also gives them a little bit of a break before the start of the playoffs on saturday.

Jimcs50
04-24-2012, 03:42 PM
If Ginobili gets injured, I am going to bludgeon Pop to death with every wine bottle in his cellar.

:rolleyes

You can't wrap him is bubble wrap. He has to play 16-28 games in playoffs, so having him play out the reg season to keep sharp is not a sin, but a must. Manu missed 30 games, so he is not even in midseason form yet, he must play 20-22 mins in these last two games.

z0sa
04-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Play them limited minutes so they are ready to go in the playoffs without any rust. While I agree with Pop's rotations and minute management this season, shit like last season's Ginobili just happens - you can't let the hated "i" word scare you with the playoffs literally days away.

Jimcs50
04-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd give TD the night off in Golden State though, he is already in shape for playoffs.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Don't you dare Pop!

Dr Cox
04-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Play Manu 10-15 min against GS.

Play Parker 10-20 min in both games

Play Duncan 20 min against the Suns.

pad300
I would consider resting Kawhi for at least 1 night, maybe both. He hit the rookie wall a while back, and has been kind of off and on since. Maybe Green as well; he's not a rook, but he's been doing a lot of work all season...

jestersmash
My guess would be they are going to play limited minutes against Phoenix to give them some burn, then send them home while the rest of the team heads to GS. Gives the Big 3 a workout so they aren't rusty, but also gives them a little bit of a break before the start of the playoffs on saturday.

There's also playoff matchup consideration if Phoenix wins today in Utah.

Pop then gets to decide who he wants in the 1st round. We sandbag against Phoenix and give them the 8 spot, or we could beat them and give Utah the 8 spot.

If Phoenix wins today, Pop will be juggling match-up considerations, injury risk considerations (especially for Ginobili), rust-factor considerations, team chemistry considerations (do you really want our 2nd and 3rd units to get accustomed to playing without the Big 3 for 2 games right before the playoffs?).

I almost want to say if nothing else, Tony Parker will either play one of the two games or limited minutes in both games just so the other guys are used to having an alpha dog playmaker on the court. Tony can easily substitute for Manu's role as far as "team chemistry" is concerned in this regard. Both of them are playmakers and distributors that handle the ball.

Duncan isn't as important for chemistry issues. It's most important to have either Tony or Manu on the court, and I think we'd all err on the side of Tony playing that role after last year.

ohmwrecker
04-24-2012, 03:50 PM
:rolleyes

You can't wrap him is bubble wrap. He has to play 16-28 games in playoffs, so having him play out the reg season to keep sharp is not a sin, but a must. Manu missed 30 games, so he is not even in midseason form yet, he must play 20-22 mins in these last two games.

Yeah, because I was totally serious. Obviously.

Bruno
04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I have no problem with the big 3 playing some limited minutes for the last two games because they haven't played a lot lately. It isn't that much of a big deal.

If Neal is really staying in SA, I'm curious to see what Pop will do with Joseph. Will he let him playing the D-League finale or will he call him back to have one more body for these games?

Dr Cox
04-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Patty Mills time! lol

Two10Whitey
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Shiiiet.. 10-15 minutes at the most. If someone get's injured then Pop is fired.

Jimcs50
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah, because I was totally serious. Obviously.

sorry, I missed your facetious comment. Yesterday, I got called an idiot because I said Pop should play Manu some minutes.

:p:

TDomination
04-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Paranoia has set in

I have a feeling most spurs fans will be holding their breaths until the final buzzer against GS

DMC
04-24-2012, 04:05 PM
If Manu cannot play a game without getting injured, what fucking good is he in the playoffs?

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2012, 04:05 PM
There's also playoff matchup consideration if Phoenix wins today in Utah.

Pop then gets to decide who he wants in the 1st round. We sandbag against Phoenix and give them the 8 spot, or we could beat them and give Utah the 8 spot.

If Phoenix wins today, Pop will be juggling match-up considerations, injury risk considerations (especially for Ginobili), rust-factor considerations, team chemistry considerations (do you really want our 2nd and 3rd units to get accustomed to playing without the Big 3 for 2 games right before the playoffs?).

I almost want to say if nothing else, Tony Parker will either play one of the two games or limited minutes in both games just so the other guys are used to having an alpha dog playmaker on the court. Tony can easily substitute for Manu's role as far as "team chemistry" is concerned in this regard. Both of them are playmakers and distributors that handle the ball.

Duncan isn't as important for chemistry issues. It's most important to have either Tony or Manu on the court, and I think we'd all err on the side of Tony playing that role after last year.

Here's a completely unfounded guess: I wouldn't be surprised if the league has quietly told the Spurs that tanking Wednesday night is not an option if that game has any meaning at all. The league would certainly love to have meaningful games over these last 3 days. If Phoenix wins in SLC tonight, then the PNX/SA game has meaning -- and, oh by the way, is being broadcast on ESPN (which certainly wouldn't like a game involving a shell of the Spurs).

Bullying aside, taking those guys along also makes a great deal of sense, at least because if Chicago loses earlier that evening in Indiana (a result that seems likely to be known before the Spurs take the floor tomorrow night), the Spurs could likely clinch the #1 overall seed by beating Phoenix, given the Warriors' clear need to lose games, at this point. If Chicago drops that game in Indy, it would be a shame to be unable to capitalize on the advantage because the Big 3 were 1,000 miles away.

Mugen
04-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Looks like not many people learned a thing from the end of last year.

Mugen
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
1. If TP/Manu/Tim all break their legs in the 1st quarter of Game 1 of the playoffs, then so be it. But don't risk injury in two meaningless games that the Spurs could probably split or win both with the subs playing.

2. "The Rust Factor" or "Keep the Momentum Going" - They are gonna play the Utah Jazz or the Phoenix Suns. I repeat the Utah Jazz or the Phoenix Suns. The spurs almost beat Utah with their C squad the last time they played and have owned Phoenix all season long. Say the Big 3 come out rusty for a half or even Game 1. The Spurs still have a pretty good shot of winning that game. This team is good enough to even recover from a Game 1 loss (like they did in 03, 05, and 07).

3. It's the Big Fucking 3. They are not going to forget how to play basketball or fall out of shape in 4 days. They have the most playoff experience on the team and will be just fine when the playoffs start...if healthy.

I'm sure a lot of you can come up with a 100 reasons to why they should play limited mins. in these games. But are any of those reasons even worth risking the albeit remote chance of the Big 3 suffering a playoff-ending injury?

BanditHiro
04-24-2012, 04:49 PM
http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/paranoid-parrot.jpg

FromWayDowntown
04-24-2012, 04:49 PM
in two meaningless games

Again, they're pretty much meaningless to the Spurs; but Wednesday's game at Phoenix could have a great deal of meaning to both the Suns and the Jazz (and to the Spurs, by extension).

GSH
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
If PHX wins tonight, then the Spurs will determine whether UTA or PHX reaches the playoffs. I think they are obligated to at least make a show of playing the game straight up. It's a lot of money on the line for whichever franchise makes it to the post-season. And it's courting way too much controversy if they just uber-tank the game.

If Utah wins tonight, I think you won't see much of the Big 3 in PHX, and Pop will give them some minutes in the last game as a tune-up.

Mugen
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/paranoid-parrot.jpg

:lol When it comes to this issue, definitely. I'm sure you didn't mind Pop playing Manu before the PHX game last year as well.

SA210
04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
all 3 should play both games, but limited minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
04-24-2012, 04:58 PM
why play them when suns fate is decided today against the jazz.....

Russ
04-24-2012, 05:31 PM

No sign of Gary Neal; he's got a shoulder "stinger" if you believe team injury report. Neal could also have jumped on the plane early.

Don't like this. No Neal, no ring.

Seventyniner
04-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Sit each of the big 3 until the playoffs. That's 4 days rest max, if the Spurs open the playoffs on Sunday. 4 days isn't that big of a break, though the pacing of this season might make it seem that way.

yavozerb
04-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Sit each of the big 3 until the playoffs. That's 4 days rest max, if the Spurs open the playoffs on Sunday. 4 days isn't that big of a break, though the pacing of this season might make it seem that way.

:nope, you do realize the spurs played yest. (monday) right? Not sure how you get 4 days but whatever..These guys should play 10-12 minutes tomm. and rest for the GS game.

ace3g
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏ @JMcDonald_SAEN

Close

Gary Neal will miss final two regular season games with left shoulder stinger. He's not on trip to Phoenix/Golden State.

baseline bum
04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Bullying aside, taking those guys along also makes a great deal of sense, at least because if Chicago loses earlier that evening in Indiana (a result that seems likely to be known before the Spurs take the floor tomorrow night), the Spurs could likely clinch the #1 overall seed by beating Phoenix, given the Warriors' clear need to lose games, at this point. If Chicago drops that game in Indy, it would be a shame to be unable to capitalize on the advantage because the Big 3 were 1,000 miles away.

Golden State already screwed themselves(>50% chance) out of their pick by winning Sunday.

timtonymanu
04-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Close

Gary Neal will miss final two regular season games with left shoulder stinger. He's not on trip to Phoenix/Golden State.

As long as he's ready by Game 1.

$pursDynasty
04-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't mind them traveling but if Pop plays any of them...it'd be a terrible unnecessary gamble.

I don't mind the big 3 hopping on a plane, wear nice suits on the sidelines to support their teammates, they can rest and sleep just as well on the bench.

Brazil
04-24-2012, 07:30 PM
its going to be two looooonnnngggggg games...

don't like the move

I understand the rust but if this team is ready to win it all, we should be able to finish the jazz or whomever even rusty the first game

spursince#99
04-24-2012, 08:03 PM
paranoia has set in

i have a feeling most spurs fans will be holding their breaths until the final buzzer against gs

+1

Sense
04-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Does Pop think rhythm is that important? If we win out it will be 10 straight and hot teams tend to go deep in the playoffs, does he think this will be key?

I definitely don't want any of our players injured.. and PHX has something to play for if they win tonight.

NickiRasgo
04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Does Pop think rhythm is that important? If we win out it will be 10 straight and hot teams tend to go deep in the playoffs, does he think this will be key?

I definitely don't want any of our players injured.. and PHX has something to play for if they win tonight.

Just saw at Yahoo! Sports:

“EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO INTO THE PLAYOFFS HEALTHY WITH ENERGY AND RHYTHM, AND WE'RE NO DIFFERENT FROM ANYONE ELSE. SO HOPEFULLY THAT'S THE POSITION THAT WE'RE IN.”
- Coach Gregg Popovich, on clinching the No. 1 seed in the West.

Russ
04-24-2012, 09:27 PM

Close

Duncan was day-to-day in the 2000 playoffs right up to the time he had knee surgery. :wow

DesignatedT
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Last year people were talking so much shit about Pop because he was sitting down players down the stretch instead of going after Chicago for the 1. Seeing how everyone's attitude has changed is hilarious.

maverick1948
04-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Golden State already screwed themselves(>50% chance) out of their pick by winning Sunday.

No they just have to lose both of their remaining games to have keep their draft pick. You see the Nets and Rapts are tied with 22-43 records. AND THEY PLAY EACH OTHER. One has to win, making their record 23-43. When GS loses their last two, their record will be 23-43. Both the Nets and Rapts hold the tie breaker over the Warriors.

Solid D
04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Patty did a nice job of being "Gary Neal" vs Portland after Gary got hurt.

Sense
04-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Just saw at Yahoo! Sports:

“EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO INTO THE PLAYOFFS HEALTHY WITH ENERGY AND RHYTHM, AND WE'RE NO DIFFERENT FROM ANYONE ELSE. SO HOPEFULLY THAT'S THE POSITION THAT WE'RE IN.”
- Coach Gregg Popovich, on clinching the No. 1 seed in the West.

I guess he was always planning on this... good to know, I'm sure they'll have limited minutes, and I really hope that we don't get an injury.

phxspurfan
04-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I bought tickets to the game and I still hope they sit.