PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Report: Billy Hunter's family paid

FuzzyLumpkins
04-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Amid news that National Basketball Players Association president Derek Fisher has been asked to resign after asking for a review of union finances, a Bloomberg report says public records show union executive director Billy Hunter's family and their businesses have been paid almost $4.8 million by the union since 2001.

Hunter's daughter and daughter-in-law work for the union, another daughter is special counsel at a law firm used by the association and his son is a principal at a financial planning and investment firm that was paid more than $45,000 per month the last fiscal year to run the union's financial awareness program and advise on investments, the report states, citing U.S. Labor Department filings.

Former baseball union leader Marvin Miller told Bloomberg he doesn't think any of the activity is illegal but he said: "It's not something I would do."

Fisher rejected a call to resign as president. The NBPA said in a statement on Friday the executive committee voted 8-0 this week that it had lost confidence in Fisher's ability to lead.

"I, along with many others, are extremely disappointed with the Executive Committee," Fisher said Friday in a statement. "Their demand for my resignation and their need to protect the NBPA management and their own best interests instead of protecting the players we were elected to serve is unfortunate."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7850941/report-union-paid-billy-hunter-family-millions

I think that Fishers a douche but damn.

Venti Quattro
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Billy Hunter made the NBPA his cash cow. Wow.

Mel_13
04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
And he got a unanimous vote from the other 8 players on the Executive Committee to dump Fisher. Unbelievable.

Venti Quattro
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
So det's why he wanted Fisher gone. He sensed danger with the audit.