PDA

View Full Version : The Reformed Church of Danny Green

GSH
04-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Well, the playoffs are almost here, and we now have a whole season of data on Danny Green. And while it may be necessary to split with the Green Orthodox Church, I think the numbers show that he is still deserving of his own congregation.

After spending some time looking at his numbers, and comparing them to other players, I think there's a pretty good case for saying that he has been like a 6'6" George Hill. But the truth is, looking strictly at the numbers, he's been a good deal better than that. (I almost hate to say this, but his per-36 numbers bear a pretty close resemblance to a rookie Michael Finley.)

We talk about Green's ill-advised shots, but he's still managed to shoot .441 from the field for the season. We notice when he misses 3-pointers, but he has still shot .424 from the arc, which is good for 9th in the league. He fills out a stat line like few players I can remember - pulling down rebounds like a much taller player, blocking shots at about the same rate (per 36 minutes) as Antonio McDyess did over his last 10 seasons, and dishing out a respectable number of assists while keeping his TO's and PF's fairly low. He's also 45th in the league in steals per 36 minutes.

It's hard to decide who/what to compare Green to. For all practical purposes, this is his rookie season. He has technically been around for two previous seasons, but only to the tune of about 200 total minutes. And when he came to camp this year, Pop wasn't even sure he could make the team. Some might still argue that comparing him to a rookie George Hill is unfair, simply because of the NBA exposure, and his time in the D-League and with Olimpija. But even if you compare his season to Hill's second year with the Spurs, his numbers still compare very favorably. Hill dished out more assists, and committed more personal fouls. Green pulled down a lot more boards, and was a much better 3P shooter. Both committed the exact same numbe of TO's per 36 minutes.

There are obviously a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. But both players were thought of as defensive prospects. And both played very good defense at times, while having some notable lapses at other times. Hill may have been more consistent by his second year, but we'll have to see what happens after Green gets a full training camp under his belt.

Hill's biggest rap was always his height. He has long arms, but there are times when nothing works like real feet and inches. Green's reach is pretty good, too. But he's got the actual height we always wished for with George Hill. I think most fans have adjusted to the fact that trading Hill for Kawhi Leonard was necessary, and for the best. But most people probably would have adjusted to losing Hill more quickly, if they had known that the Spurs would bring in a 6'6" version of the original - and at a bargain basement price.

Does Green still have upside? Can he shore up his consistency on defense, or learn to improve his shot selection? Probably. Does he really have the upside of a young Michael Finley Probably not. But if all he does is become a taller version of George Hill, with a much better 3P shot? It's worthy of a congregation.

The Reformed Church of Danny Green is in session.

DBMethos
04-24-2012, 07:00 PM
*sits down*

spurs1990
04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Great take. Intangibles should be highlighted - he's the consumate teammate, and from the interviews modest to a fault. Persona matches what the Spurs and Pop have desired.

angelbelow
04-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Call me crazy, but I have the feeling he is gonna choke in the playoffs. I hope I'm not mistaken

If Danny Green chokes in the playoffs, its going to be because of bad luck or a really bad match up. Him choking won't have anything to do with his confidence, his work ethic or his heart. Therefore, I'm not sure you can even call it choking if he doesn't perform up to par.

To me, Danny Green is like the anti-choker. He's got the balls to take the final shot even if hes shooting miserably up to that point. That same attitude is why hes been able to swing games in our favor, play hard until the very end of games regardless of score and win the starting SG position over Neal and Anderson.

gilmor
04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
The last few games I saw him played, he has been awesome.. esp against Lakers..

100%duncan
04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Hallelujah Danny Green!

GSH
04-25-2012, 12:42 AM
If Danny Green chokes in the playoffs, its going to be because of bad luck or a really bad match up. Him choking won't have anything to do with his confidence, his work ethic or his heart. Therefore, I'm not sure you can even call it choking if he doesn't perform up to par.

To me, Danny Green is like the anti-choker. He's got the balls to take the final shot even if hes shooting miserably up to that point. That same attitude is why hes been able to swing games in our favor, play hard until the very end of games regardless of score and win the starting SG position over Neal and Anderson.

:tu Good take.

Green is absolutely fearless. He'll enounter players with more experience and skill than he has in the playoffs, but he won't be scared of them - which means that they may get the best of him, but they won't beat up on him. And he'll do his share of damage.

When I think "choke", I think about Matt Bonner looking for someone to pass to in the 4th quarter, even though he's wide open for a 3, and that's his reason for existence. I think about LeBron disappearing in the 4th quarters of games 2-6 in the finals. That's a fear of failure - a choker. Green may miss the shot, but it won't be because his knees are shaking.

GSH
04-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Danny Green calls forth a serpent from Dirk Nowitzki.

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/fa/fullj.f417d1287bbfbd005e811339e37803ee/ap-201203232157790479149.jpg

Danny Green makes a ball levitate - with his mind.

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/12/67/31/2848334/7/628x471.jpg

Danny Green vs. the stretchy guy from Fantastic 4

http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/g-spt-120404-daniel-green-632p.nbcsports-story-612.jpg

timtonymanu
04-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Green won't choke. Guy has come up with huge plays all year (the almost game winner in Dallas, the steal and slam in OKC, key 3 pointers). He's proven he's better than Neal and Anderson. The only criticism I have with Danny is his streaky offense, but lately he's been more consistent than he was to start the season.

GSH
04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Danny Green turns Jason Terry into a ballerina.

http://heralddemocrat.com/sites/files/styles/large/public/article/103870_web_Spurs-Mavericks-Baske_Hutc.jpg

Danny Green shrinks Kobe to hobbit size.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/978/394/112165926_display_image.jpg?1330626155

Here's the church, and here's the steeple...

http://medya.todayszaman.com/todayszaman/2011/12/29/basket.jpg

therealtruth
04-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Call me crazy, but I have the feeling he is gonna choke in the playoffs. I hope I'm not mistaken

That's what bugs me about having playoff rookies starting in the playoffs. I don't think rookies start on championship teams that often.

Drom John
04-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Someone on ESPN was saying that Charlotte might be allright if they get Davis, and another good pick next year, but the Bobcats problem is they keep filling the roster with borderline Chapel Hill and Duke players.

Hmm, Danny Green was the definition of a borderline Chapel Hill player.

The Bobcats may have a future.

GSH
05-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Any new converts tonight?

WeNeedLength
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Reformed* :lmao I like it.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
LOL comparing him to finley, does finley play any form of defense? gtfo

lol at the clowns who wanted to trade his ass for josh howard...

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 09:01 PM

racm
05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Imagine if you combined Michael Finley with a little Bruce Bowen.

timtonymanu
05-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Pretty sure no one wanted to trade him for Howard. You're just talking out of your ass again.

100%duncan
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Fuck the doubters

GSH
05-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Just comparing the offensive numbers. Made that pretty clear.

Who suggested trading him for Howard? If anyone had, they would have gotten their asses kicked for suggesting a trade where the salaries aren't close to matching.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Pretty sure no one wanted to trade him for Howard. You're just talking out of your ass again.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/03/14/reports-spurs-inquire-about-howard/

come lick my ass clown

T Park
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
If Green could be half the player Michael
Finley was, that would be amazing.

timtonymanu
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/03/14/reports-spurs-inquire-about-howard/

come lick my ass clown

That doesn't prove your point. You posted a rumor. Still talking out of your ass again.

timtonymanu
05-02-2012, 10:07 PM

Well he's got his jersey number down ...

GSH
05-02-2012, 10:10 PM

I really, really wasn't trying to compare them like they are identical players, or anything like it. I just pointed out that his production this season looks a whole lot like Finley's rookie numbers. Not too shabby for a guy who nobody expected to make the team.

Knoxxx
05-02-2012, 10:17 PM
I think he will get Bonner type money.

TDMVPDPOY
05-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I think he will get Bonner type money.

some team is going to throw MLE at him...

Knoxxx
05-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Don't think early bird rights vs. Mle is big diff in $?

GSH
05-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Do you believe?

lefty
05-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Fuck yeah

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-05-2012, 11:49 PM
He's a defensive player. He's not going to get big money.

TDMVPDPOY
05-06-2012, 12:03 AM
he should force more ISOs or attacking the rim when his up against bullshit wing defenders who have no purpose trying to defend him....i dont get why him and kl dont fully utilize their length and ft % attack the rim and get some freebies

Cant_Be_Faded
05-06-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm declaring my allegiance

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2012, 12:12 AM
He's not going to get paid a substantial amount, unless it's out of stupidity..

He's a spot-up shooter that plays average defense..personally, I'd like the Spurs to sign him, because he fits the system very well..he makes 3s at a high rate, he brings energy, and he doesn't seem to be affected by playoff pressure..

However, he can't create his own offense, and he's a terrible finisher at the rim..any team that pays him a substantial amount will be disappointed..

Cant_Be_Faded
05-06-2012, 12:13 AM
The numbers timvp gathered show Green is the best perimeter defender on the team

HarlemHeat37
05-06-2012, 12:16 AM
He probably is, but he's still average, which is statistically proven..

GSH
05-06-2012, 12:17 AM
A couple of things about Green have stood out the last few games.

One of Danny's weaknesses was that he didn't finish well at all on the fast break. He wasted a lot of opportunities for cheap points because he didn't have patience, he got called for charging, and he just flat missed the shots. I thought he would improve that a lot next year, with a full training camp under his belt, and some directed coaching. But he really improved it A LOT near the end of the season. These days he's much, much better on the fast break, and turning it into points. That's big.

The other thing (and I mentioned it in the game thread) is the way he constantly re-spaces the floor. I hate it when guys stand out on the perimeter, but don't pay attention to the angles. There was a play tonight where Bonner was standing there WIDE open, begging for the ball. But the bonehead didn't even notice that, where he was standing, there was no way Parker could get the ball to him. Green is constantly making small adjustments to his position on the floor to make sure and give his PG a passing lane. That may seem like a no-brainer, but so many guys don't do it.

They just asked him in the post-game if there's ever a time when he thinks, "Oh, I shouldn't have taken that shot... that's probably a Tony shot, or a Manu shot?" He just said, "No. If you're open, you shoot it. I may think "I should have made that shot", but not "I shouldn't have shot it." That's a scorer's mentality. He'll improve his skills, but he's absolutely fearless.

TDMVPDPOY
05-06-2012, 12:26 AM
he only get better, he already beat out Ja + Neal ahead of the rotation

tesseractive
05-06-2012, 12:34 AM
He's not going to get paid a substantial amount, unless it's out of stupidity..

He's a spot-up shooter that plays average defense..personally, I'd like the Spurs to sign him, because he fits the system very well..he makes 3s at a high rate, he brings energy, and he doesn't seem to be affected by playoff pressure..

However, he can't create his own offense, and he's a terrible finisher at the rim..any team that pays him a substantial amount will be disappointed..

He's not going to get rich, but I'd sure hate to lose him. Solid defenders that are also clutch playoff shooters don't grow on trees. That's doesn't make him a star player, but it makes him a massively useful role player.

WeNeedLength
05-06-2012, 12:35 AM
I found this picture from his college days and I just had to include it in this thread.

http://rushthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/danny-green-dunk.png?w=390&h=518

:toast

therealtruth
05-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Unfortunately him being the starter is going to increase his value. The starting spot is basically Manu's but Green has it because Pop is afraid Ginobili is going to get injured again.

T Park
05-06-2012, 12:41 AM
No he has it because he's good and it works...

The Spurs have always done their best with Manu coming off the bench.

Darkwaters
05-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Hard to believe that this guy barely made the team.

I seriously wonder what Cleveland fans are thinking right about now?

GSH
05-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Great first half for Danny. Anyone who thought he was going to choke as the playoff pressure ramped up should be thinking about converting.

Sa_Spursfan20
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Hallelujah amen. Awesome start to the game by Green. Great D and his shot has been on target.

HarlemHeat37
06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Well, he has the rest of this series and potentially the Finals to show his worth, but he's playing as I predicted he would play, tbh..

Hopefully he can start playing at the level most of the delusional homers believed he could consistently play at..

slick'81
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
bbb someone will give him 20 mil in fa right

SAGirl
10-11-2017, 09:26 AM
GSH... you have been missed.
anyways... found a reformed church and this: 916715886903463942

TheGreatYacht
10-11-2017, 04:14 PM
At least the bum is honest. He's a system help defender. Leaves his guy open countless times a game and doesn't fight thru screens for shit. All credit to Kawhi, Aldridge, Dedmon, Gasol tbh

cutewizard
10-11-2017, 08:24 PM
May he have a good year,

Big Empty
10-17-2017, 08:20 AM
So I have not been able to see any preseason games. I read that Danny's dribbling and driving looked good this preseason. Anyone care to elaborate?

Chinook
10-17-2017, 08:22 AM
So I have not been able to see any preseason games. I read that Danny's dribbling and driving looked good this preseason. Anyone care to elaborate?

It didn't. Harden sucks on D, and Green kept going around him. Danny's looked the same as he always has.

dabom
10-17-2017, 09:16 AM
It didn't. Harden sucks on D, and Green kept going around him. Danny's looked the same as he always has.

I heard Danny can learn to dribble if he took some classes from rastaspur at the local YMCA. 2 weeks minimum. :lol