PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger still clowning on the Warriors

Mel_13
04-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Warriors holding press conference to announce they think an $11 million cap hit is a perfectly fair price for the 30th pick in the draft.

http://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger

:lmao

timvp
04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
:lol The 30th pick in the draft probably is worth $2 million at most. And probably much less than that because of the new rule that limits the total spent on trades to $3 million a season instead of per trade.

Tbh, it'd probably be difficult to sell the 30th pick for $1 million

angelbelow
04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
lol..

MannyIsGod
04-24-2012, 07:18 PM
:lmao

baseline bum
04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
All they had to do was lose out and they were guaranteed the 7th pick at worst, thanks to New Jersey and Toronto playing on the final day of the season. Instead they won on Sunday, and will now probably be locked into the #8 pick, which is then property of Utah (pick is protected only up to 7 :lol).

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
If there works out to be any prayer that the Warriors can keep that pick, and if the playoff seedings are set tonight, is the Spurs/Warriors game the least competetive game in TNT history?

Dr. John R. Brinkley
04-24-2012, 07:37 PM
If there works out to be any prayer that the Warriors can keep that pick, and if the playoff seedings are set tonight, is the Spurs/Warriors game the least competetive game in TNT history?

A different type of competition, I suppose.

Obstructed_View
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Someday a last game of the season will involve the two trade partner teams with the protected pick in the balance.

T Park
04-24-2012, 07:52 PM
If I were Utah I'd tank.

Come back with two good lottery picks, and a decent team would make them stout.

Spursfanfromafar
04-24-2012, 09:00 PM
I am actually thankful that the Warriors are this dumb.. where would we be if not for their generosity!

letmk
04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
If I were Utah I'd tank.

Come back with two good lottery picks, and a decent team would make them stout.

What's the point for the Jazz to tank? Right now if they don't get into playoffs, they get like 14th pick; if in, they get like 16th pick.

Richie
04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
To be fair the warriors wanted bogut and had to take jax with him who they really didn't want to keep. Getting RJ for him isn't the worst move for them.

Not tanking more games has been a terrible decision though

CGD
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Meh, I don't think it was a terrible deal for the Warriors. SJax probably would only have been happy in one place, SA. Not sure any other team had that leverage. RJ will put up average numbers for them over the next 2 years, but should help in the locker room as that team tries to change its culture.

The 29th or 30th pic was just bad luck for them. Hey maybe we can flip Blair for it back, lol.

jesterbobman
04-24-2012, 09:50 PM
The Warriors are tanking as hard as they can, but will still win games. It's a case of a career concerns problem where the Players want to work harder than the management want them to. Players will play hard, as their future contracts depend on performance, and management can't change how players will be paid in future periods. They're doing the best they can, but Charles Jenkins, Brandon Rush et al will still play hard.

Bruno
04-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Even if I liked the trade, I wasn't trilled with Spurs giving up the pick but, is will at worst the 28th, so it's finally not a problem at all.

The jack trade was definitively a bad trade for GSW but they were cornered with a player they didn't want. Spurs took advantage of that and got a damn great deal.

As baseline bum said, the worst about Warriors is that they didn't tank to be sure of keeping their pick. Tanking is a crappy move but that's what most of the teams should do if they want to be a contender down the road.

FlAVaK
04-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Concerning the Warriors own pick, which is protected up to 7th:

Right now, they have the 8th worst record with 23 wins. Toronto and New Jersey have 22, and play each other tomorrow, so one team obviously loses one more game.

Golden State owns the Tank-Breaker (usually one would say "loses the tie-breaker") against both of them! So, if they are beaten by the Spurs, they secure the 7th worst record in the league, and have good chances in the lottery, to keep their 7th pick...

Or am I missing something?

Bruno
04-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Golden State owns the Tank-Breaker (usually one would say "loses the tie-breaker") against both of them!

There is no tie-breakers regarding the draft. Ties are broken with a coin flip. And even if they "win" the coin flip, there is a 25% chance of getting a pick between #8 and #10 with the 7th worst record.

baseline bum
04-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Draft order for equal records is determined by a coin flip I think. If GS wins the coin flip and anyone 8-14 sneaks into the top 3 and the Warriors don't, they move to #8 and the pick goes to Utah. All they had to do was lose Sunday and they would have been guaranteed #7 unless 8-14 moved into the top 3. They might have cost themselves a damn good SF prospect like Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones III, Terrence Jones, Quincy Miller, or John Henson who could have looked really nice next to Curry, Thomspon, and Bogut.

baseline bum
04-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Meh, I don't think it was a terrible deal for the Warriors. SJax probably would only have been happy in one place, SA. Not sure any other team had that leverage. RJ will put up average numbers for them over the next 2 years, but should help in the locker room as that team tries to change its culture.

The 29th or 30th pic was just bad luck for them. Hey maybe we can flip Blair for it back, lol.

It was a horrible trade to be saddled with Jefferson's contract for 2 more seasons after this. They would have been way better off just buying Jack out after the trade and only taking the hit for one extra year instead. Jefferson has been every bit the complete scrub there that he was here; he is done and the Spurs raped Golden State to drop that dead wood. And thankfully we can put to rest that ridiculous hypothesis that it was just Pop holding him back.

therealtruth
04-25-2012, 01:11 AM
It was a horrible trade to be saddled with Jefferson's contract for 2 more seasons after this. They would have been way better off just buying Jack out after the trade and only taking the hit for one extra year instead. Jefferson has been every bit the complete scrub there that he was here; he is done and the Spurs raped Golden State to drop that dead wood. And thankfully we can put to rest that ridiculous hypothesis that it was just Pop holding him back.

He might play better when Steph Curry comes back. He really needs to get spoon-fed by a pass first point guard.

FlAVaK
04-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Ah, didn`t know about the coin flip thing. Thanks Bruno and baseline bum! Then it`s really dumb, they won at Minny...

will_spurs
04-25-2012, 04:33 AM
As I mentioned before, even though this trade looks bad on paper, there's just no way to look at the value of a trade before everything has played out. They could land (by pure luck) a great player with the 28th pick. They could trade RJ's expiring for a great trade down the road, just because it's one year later's than SJax's expiring.

And they didn't pay $11 million for a 28th pick. They received an expiring contract worth $11 million and a 28th pick. They might not be the ones who end up paying RJ's $11 million that year.

Although it doesn't look like it, they still have the opportunity to come out on top.

Girasuck
04-25-2012, 04:44 AM
What's the point for the Jazz to tank? Right now if they don't get into playoffs, they get like 14th pick; if in, they get like 16th pick.

Since we made the playoffs, we owe our 2012 1st round pick to Minnesota. Our pick was top 14 protected this year. That's why a lot of Jazz fans didn't want our team to make the playoffs. Now if we lose out on a coin flip for the Warriors pick, we have no first round picks this year.

Our best hope of getting the Warriors pick belongs in the Spurs hands. Spurs gotta lose to GS and we get the pick, unless the Warriors get lucky and land a top 3 pick in the lottery.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
As I mentioned before, even though this trade looks bad on paper, there's just no way to look at the value of a trade before everything has played out. They could land (by pure luck) a great player with the 28th pick. They could trade RJ's expiring for a great trade down the road, just because it's one year later's than SJax's expiring.

And they didn't pay $11 million for a 28th pick. They received an expiring contract worth $11 million and a 28th pick. They might not be the ones who end up paying RJ's $11 million that year.

Although it doesn't look like it, they still have the opportunity to come out on top.

The RJ contract is NOT an expiring contract, it has TWO years to run after this one. We swapped contracts that were monetarily equal for this year, gave them a first rounder, and they ate an $11M contract year for Jefferson in 2013-2014. Since the RJ/Jack contracts were equal for this year and next, and we flipped them the pick and they ate the extra year on RJs contract at $11M, that pick cost them $11M.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Since we made the playoffs, we owe our 2012 1st round pick to Minnesota. Our pick was top 14 protected this year. That's why a lot of Jazz fans didn't want our team to make the playoffs. Now if we lose out on a coin flip for the Warriors pick, we have no first round picks this year.

Our best hope of getting the Warriors pick belongs in the Spurs hands. Spurs gotta lose to GS and we get the pick, unless the Warriors get lucky and land a top 3 pick in the lottery.

Have you seen the lineup GS is running out there lately? SA minus the big three should beat them by 10-15. Their current lineup might actually lose to Charlotte.

Mel_13
04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
The RJ contract is NOT an expiring contract, it has TWO years to run after this one. We swapped contracts that were monetarily equal for this year, gave them a first rounder, and they ate an $11M contract year for Jefferson in 2013-2014. Since the RJ/Jack contracts were equal for this year and next, and we flipped them the pick and they ate the extra year on RJs contract at $11M, that pick cost them $11M.

Exactly.

It was an incredibly stupid trade for the Warriors. Thank goodness for such an incompetent FO, it was the only way to get rid of RJ at such a tiny price.

will_spurs
04-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Since the RJ/Jack contracts were equal for this year and next, and we flipped them the pick and they ate the extra year on RJs contract at $11M, that pick cost them $11M.

The GSW paid $11M for:
- a (late) 1st round draft pick
- one year of RJ
- an expiring contract in 2013-2014 instead of 2012-2013

All I'm saying is that it's a bit too much to say they paid $11M only for a draft pick, when the value of my 2nd point is clearly > 0, and the value of the third point is undecided at this stage.

99% chance they got the bad end of the deal, for sure.

Spursfanfromafar
04-26-2012, 07:21 AM
The GSW paid $11M for:
- one year of RJ

All I'm saying is that it's a bit too much to say they paid $11M only for a draft pick, when the value of my 2nd point is clearly > 0, and the value of the third point is undecided at this stage.

Well, if you are being so arithmetic about it, then the GSW paid $11M for -

- a (late) 1st round pick
- one year of RJ (minus one year of S.Jax)
- an expiring contract in 2013-14 which if sold will mean minus one year of RJ

Considering RJs and SJax relative performances since their trades -
1) will be a minor pick barring cirumstances where GSW get a great player that 27 teams missed out on.
2) is clearly less than zero
and 3) is unclear as we don't know what value RJ's expiring will command, but it will still be relatively less than what $11 million of cap space will command otherwise in free agency in 2013-14.

And so, yes.. it is a damn bad deal for GSW even in foresight.

Wild Cobra Kai
04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
The GSW paid $11M for:
- one year of RJ

Well, that's one way of looking at it. The assumption here is that a year (or two years) or RJ is worth a bucket of warm spit. After watching him play for 2 1/2 years, I can't disagree with that. He's a bad value. You're paying about a million dollars per point per game. :lol

The value of expiring contract is also higher for teams over the cap, since it's a way of acquiring players who may be good but who's contract runs too long for a team's FA chase plans. GS will likely not be wanting longer contracts, but shorter ones, and that would mean they would have to flip RJ for another expiring, and then you have to get to player comparisions, and RJ suffers in that department.

Obstructed_View
04-26-2012, 07:57 AM
If RJ being on the team and actually contributing results in wins that results in them losing a lottery pick...

elemento
04-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Even though it was not a good deal for GS, i think they still prefer RJ over S-Jax. They didn't want S-Jax in GS at all (and we all know he is a cancer when he is not in the right place) and I am pretty sure they had no takers for him, except for us of course. they could still get a decent player with our pick.

IMO, they should have used the amnesty clause on Biedrins, not Bell. That's what they did wrong.

coyotes_geek
04-26-2012, 08:25 AM
If RJ being on the team and actually contributing results in wins that results in them losing a lottery pick...

It would be very RJ of him to come out tonight and screw his own team by dropping 40 on the Spurs tonight.

will_spurs
04-26-2012, 10:17 AM

RJ didn't contribute to any wins. He's been sitting the last few games with a knee injury, I think it's called tank-knee-tis.

RJ vs SJ value for GSW is debatable, as nobody wanted SJ anywhere close to the bay area: not the management, not the coach and not the fans. Actually it wasn't such a bad situation for GSW this trade would never ever had happened, no matter what the Spurs had added to sweeten the deal.

It's impossible to know what kind of salary RJ would have commended on the FA market, but I'd have been surprised if he couldn't find a sucker team to sign him for $4-5 million.

And as to the expiring, we have no way of knowing. Depends a lot on the strength of the FA class in a year and in 2 years, GSW opportunities, etc.

All in all between RJ's one extra year and the "option" on the expiring, it looks this 1st round pick cost them around $5-6 million. That's still way too much indeed.

Bruno
04-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Bulls won the coin flip with Spurs, So Spurs will send the 30th pick to Warriors.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/04/27/lottery-ties/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

So Warriors end up paying over $11M for the last pick of the first round. Spurs made an awesome deal. However, what's good for Warriors is that they win the coin flip for the 7th pick.

A little extra of Spurs losing the tiebreaker is that they will get the 59th pick instead of the 60th one.

DPG21920
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
So warriors did win their flip?

Bruno
04-27-2012, 04:24 PM
So warriors did win their flip?

Yep, they can still lose this pick if a team pass them during the lottery (about a 27% chance) but it's a great news for them.

Mel_13
05-15-2012, 08:58 AM
This article, by a Golden State beat writer, analyzes their situation at the SF position. He identifies SF as a position of great need and worth spending a top-7 draft pick to obtain if GS retains their picks. He reviews their current assets at SF at talks about Wright, Rush, and McGuire. Remarkably, there is no mention of the SF that will cost the Warriors over 20M for the next two seasons.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2012/05/14/warriors-sf-update-san-francisco-small-forwards-and-more/